It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Are you downloading torrents? Then you should know this.

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 25 2012 @ 03:04 AM
link   
I've had letters, in fact out of the blue charter found out my email address and has been sending my bill there ever since.

Now I've stopped pirating (down and up) but the only times I got caught were when I had a fresh install and forgot the use of peerblock (peer guardian back in the day).

I like the timed trials where you get full access for x amount of days instead of a gimped version.

The full ones are the best as I will know if I like it or not, bought many more programs that way. Also when I did pirate, I did purchase the things I liked/ enjoyed.

Now for videos, trailers like Apollo 18 and others led one to believe the movie was worth watching. Found out the hard way that if you buy a movie before watching it, you really feel like you were bent over and done dry. (should have rented, oh well)

posted on Jan, 25 2012 @ 03:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by calnorak
Now for videos, trailers like Apollo 18 and others led one to believe the movie was worth watching. Found out the hard way that if you buy a movie before watching it, you really feel like you were bent over and done dry. (should have rented, oh well)

QFT!

As I said also. They put out false trailers to make people spend money.

Well touche mr industry, I'll be checking my intentions before spending my money!! How is that NOT fair, I ask anyone.

I take a car for a drive before buying it, I don't rely on the guy selling it. I prove it to myself.

"OMG YOU STOLE A CAR !!!" -- no I took it for a test run!

lmao

posted on Jan, 25 2012 @ 03:08 AM
link   
this is a very serious situation,
this is an automated system with very little compansion,

regaurdless to what you think,
they are about to go after ANYONE using these new powers,
dont be fooled this will make almost half the internet users criminals.

i am not in your country by my countries three strike policy has no recourse.

in my humble opinion,

ALL torrent/sharing/seading software was designed to be able to trace users,
it is a way of getting everyone used to piracy as the normal and then SLAM down new laws and criminalize the behaviour of those that are slow to change.

kim dotcom is being treated like a murderer in our nz courts

things have changed very rapidly

xp

posted on Jan, 25 2012 @ 03:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by mileysubet
reply to post by SethGecko

So if I follow your logic; it is ok to Steal something you don't like (which is completely subjective) but not something you do like?

I am always amused at the way people try to justify theft (piracy) of any product.

Well said. It amazes me how people try to justify theft, simply because it 'appears' harmless from their end.
I often wonder if these people would mind computer programmers, musicians, and movie directors slipping into their houses while they're not at home and stealing their jewelry and electronics...
I bet they'd be on the phone to the police in no time at all lol!!

posted on Jan, 25 2012 @ 03:12 AM
link   
not had any warnings or notices here. downloading as usual with no problems

posted on Jan, 25 2012 @ 03:13 AM
link   
Wasn't there this "Fabulous" guy that had a youtube video that talked about the big companies endorsing kazaa and napster with their website?

Ill see if I can find that post.

alright found it

www.abovetopsecret.com...
edit on 25-1-2012 by calnorak because: (no reason given)

Or the original one here:

www.abovetopsecret.com...
edit on 25-1-2012 by calnorak because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 25 2012 @ 03:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by jimbo999

So if I follow your logic; it is ok to Steal something you don't like (which is completely subjective) but not something you do like?

I am always amused at the way people try to justify theft (piracy) of any product.

Well said. It amazes me how people try to justify theft, simply because it 'appears' harmless from their end.
I often wonder if these people would mind computer programmers, musicians, and movie directors slipping into their houses while they're not at home and stealing their jewelry and electronics...

Gee last time I checked, the MPAA and RIAA still had their goods.

You're advocating actually TAKING physical items.

Hah... well, maybe when you think about it, it'll click.

I'm orf to steal a car and and and a Ipad and stuff, physical items, but how the hell am I going to do it with utorrent..

edit on 25-1-2012 by mainidh because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 25 2012 @ 03:23 AM
link   
I have had a couple people whose computers i work on get the letters and there computers are not capable of downloading torrents with a run time over a couple minutes much less movies the ISP claimed they were downloading.
And they do not use WIFI so that can not be the cause.

The only thing i could find was what looked like a bot program.

Have hackers found a way to use someones computers as a relay for downloading ????

It might be interesting if hackers are building and using bot-nets for downloading torrents.

posted on Jan, 25 2012 @ 03:23 AM
link   

posted on Jan, 25 2012 @ 03:28 AM
link   
reply to post by ANNED

Yes, there are ways for innocent computers to be implicated in crimes. Bot nets, even simple wireless network intrusions. Old innocent Grandma Betsy who uses her computer only to send and receive pictures from her family leaves her wireless network open because she doesn't know any better. Someone uses her wireless without her knowing...Well... It's still HER internet connection being used by that computer, and she's held accountable.

posted on Jan, 25 2012 @ 03:32 AM
link   

You should look into commercial/contract law - everything is already paid for - the corporations are actually in dishonour by not providing you with a bill of exchange for the product.

posted on Jan, 25 2012 @ 03:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by jimbo999

Piracy actually helps sales in many, many cases.

I wonder if those same (and I might add, ALREADY WELL PAID) programmers, musicians, and movie directors would want to break into some lower/middle class home and steal their belongings after that same person contributed to HELPING sales.

...And yes, since I'm willing to bet most pirates are lower / middle class, i'm sure they WOULD call the police, since they don't get paid as well as movie directors and musicians and programmers it's much more difficult for them to recover their losses.

Also, many people pirate things to try them out before buying. I know many people who are not well off enough to purchase everything that comes out that they're interested in. Often times they have purchased something and it would be HORRIBLE. If someone only has enough extra funds laying around for "wants", i'm sure they want to spend it on something that's going to be good. For someone who is well off in a well paying job, it's no big loss. For someone struggling to make ends meet, who rarely gets to splurge on themselves, I think its justified to pirate something to make sure they're not wasting their rare splurge money on garbage.

Cheers

posted on Jan, 25 2012 @ 03:40 AM
link   
Boohoo cry for the rich man

link   
reply to post by LongbottomLeaf

But its impossible to download without uploading, the minimum upload rate you can set is 0.1 mb.

as soon as its done downloading i stop the torrent so as not to seed. Im not really worried, its just that I have enough problems already and dont want unnecessary hassles.

As far as the downloading is stealing argument goes, I dont really care. Are actors suffering? It doesnt seem like it. Are movie producers or studios sufferring gtf out of here!

I also agree that if I like something I will buy it, but just last month I spent R200 on Mafia 2, which if I had known that it would take me a day to finish and that it was not like the first mafia I wouldnt have wasted my money.

Furthemore if the product werent sold at such exhorbitant prices many more people would buy it, however because of their greed they are promoting piracy.

Greed fosters piracy.

Another problem is the limited rights you receive when you purchase an album, game or movie, as far as im concerned I bought it so it is mine to do with as I please, if Iwant to borrow it to a friend its my right. If I want to sell it or install a game on more than one of my pc`s thats my right.

So in my view Piracy is just placing a bit more power int he consumers hands and that pisses off the major corporations.

Arrgggg me maties.

link   

Originally posted by LongbottomLeaf
Boohoo cry for the rich man

That directed at someone in particular?

posted on Jan, 25 2012 @ 03:45 AM
link   

posted on Jan, 25 2012 @ 03:47 AM
link   
reply to post by calnorak

Somehow I miss the days when I -HAD- to go war driving to browse the web.

*single tear*

posted on Jan, 25 2012 @ 03:49 AM
link   
i know for a fact comcast is doing this... Uverse isnt cause i torrent alot...

personally i think some of the media outlets are putting their content out there to get ips and get it reported to the ISPs, then again the ISPs are capping bandwidth and moniTORing us... and our online activity...

you can try a few things though, like a VPN service or switching you provider... maybe hitting a few proxies,but i for 1... am not afraid of some douch media company...
i have no fear, they should be afraid of me...

hell im bout to download some disney movies right now....
Take that society...

just because its free

posted on Jan, 25 2012 @ 04:01 AM
link   
reply to post by demoncleaner

Don't worry about it, The police or FBI or anyone are not interested in someone downloading a film or music for personal use, so unless you have hundreds of pirated DVDs at home all with the boxes ready to sell they wont waste their time with you.

If you get an email from your ISP about downloading torrents and asking you to stop, then leave the ISP and go to another one who won't spy on you, they should not be allowed to get away with spying on you.

I download films and music because I cannot afford them most of the time, I certainly couldn't afford a trip to the cinema I would need to take out a second mortgage (even thought I don't have a mortgage) I think it is fine pirating, every one does it in one way or the other, when I was younger I used to listen to the top 40 singles charts and tape the songs I like on the radio with a cassette player, or recording films and stuff from TV (which is also illegal and deemed as piracy)
I Do not agree with pirating and selling it for profit, and I don't agree with a really rich person pirating if you can afford it you should buy it.
edit on 25-1-2012 by DEV1L79 because: .

posted on Jan, 25 2012 @ 04:10 AM
link   
This has more to do with the issue of Open-Source production and ideology than anything else.

The proprietary nature of intellectual capital these days deludes organisations into thinking that they are actually protecting their interests by suing or legally pursuing those who hack, copy or infringe their products. As one user above noted, by allowing potential customers to get hold of the 'data' for free, companies can garner loyalty, reduce cognitive dissonance, and also encourage their customer base to act as 'prosumers' rather than be static customers.

The proprietary business model is no longer relevant in the true digital age - something that ATS would do well to remember. For example, anything written on, submitted to, or produced HERE in the name of ATS, is essentially the intellectual property of ATS - even if you spend lots of time writing an article or making a quality ATS associated video... HOST it up on here, and it becomes their property unless you have express permission otherwise. Fair? Hell no. Sensible? Hell no. Futureproof? Definitely not.

ATS champions the fight against SOPA, PIPA and other anti-openness legislation which is great. But perhaps it's worth suggesting that before we go around slating the propietary nature of other IP holders on the net, we should look at ATS first, and 'open it up' in the name of true inter-connectivity.

The Revenant.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join