It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Are you downloading torrents? Then you should know this.

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 25 2012 @ 10:05 AM
link   
This is like saying:

Ok you got to stop using that tool because some other ppl is using
it illegaly...Ban knives cause ppl kill with them, ban screwdrivers cause
ppl hurt other ppl with them..Ban cars cause ppl GET hurt in accidents
BAN LIFE CAUSE YOU COULD DIE....

UTTER STUPIDITY

I use Torrents in my music as alot of files into torent.
Then alot of ppl can download and share...

I say

BULZHIT on the entier story....

posted on Jan, 25 2012 @ 10:15 AM
link   
reply to post by demoncleaner

The notices being sent, do not originate with your ISP, they come from places like the RIAA.

He also showed me e mails from a program he uses to hide his torrents of several IP adresses trying to monitor his activity which were blocked.

However after talking to my brother about it, he did some research and apparently the programs that hide your activity are useless and wont protect your privacy. I have in the meantime stopped downloading torrents just to be safe.

Let me try to explain in layman's terms what happens. You use a file share program like bit torrent, you start it by adding the torrent you wish to down load, well its hash code anyway, this is the unique identifier for that particular file or group of files, your torrent software scans across the peer network to all the other users querying if they have this file, if so then it sends an instruction to start sending certain parts from that file, and it does this with as many other users that it can find that have the same file, and you download it it a lot faster than you would if just coming off 1 person.

What people like the RIAA do in order to combat that is host the file themselves, then when you connect it stores your IP, once they have the IP they can trace that back to the provider of the IP, you ISP in this case, and depending on the country they can enforce some sort of punitive measure, in some cases this can be a notice to stop your illicit downloading, in certain circumstances it can mean criminal prosecution, it depends on your country and its laws.

The software you friend mentioned, is not designed to protect your privacy. it is designed to block any communication with other IP's know to be used by places like the RIAA, so they cannot connect to your computer and therefore cannot prove you downloaded copy write protected material. No software will give you total privacy, to believe such is a fallacy, every IP you visit is recorded by your ISP and can be accessed by any government agency, every e-mail you send has the recipients address recorded, every website you visit and every page within that website, ever connection on any form of IM is recorded, you can encrypt all you want, but where you connect, who you talk to is recorded and you would be wise to remember that

posted on Jan, 25 2012 @ 10:23 AM
link   

I stopped, yeah. Only do it from work with the laptop now!!

It was an official letter through the post, not an email, listing all the details. Looked very formal, and stated the laws that had been broken etc., and telling me to remove all torrent / dowloading software from my pc.

posted on Jan, 25 2012 @ 10:56 AM
link   
I read a article once that stores that sell and trade cpu and console games do more damage to the industry than pirating ever will.

Some dude takes one of his games in to one of these stores they buy it from him for $15 the store then sells the game second hand to somebody else he plays wants a new game trades it in and the process starts again.
So that one game may have been sold many times with no profit what so ever reaching the game makers.

posted on Jan, 25 2012 @ 11:03 AM
link   

I too repair computers for a partial living, and I use Time Warner Roadrunner Fast Internet, and have received no such email from them, nor have any of my contacts on other Internet providers in our area. Who is the provider here?

I download torrents all the time, and am not worried. Of course I run Fedora Linux and Firefox, run a proxy, and have a masqueraded network. Your friend no doubt runs Microsoft Windows with no such protection. I don't think Time Warner even cares what I download.

posted on Jan, 25 2012 @ 11:11 AM
link   

Yup, I stopped doing P2P many years ago because the Feds can catch you on that. If you are using proxy servers and online anonymity networks, torrents are definitely not safe. They will not be able to track your IP address, but they do see how much you use.

posted on Jan, 25 2012 @ 11:22 AM
link   

in short no.

I have not received any dodgy emails about downloading torrents.
I use Standard U-Torrent. sounds like fearmongering?

posted on Jan, 25 2012 @ 11:38 AM
link   
I have a campground with 100 sites and Wi Fi for them all I get letters from Comcast allot. they know everything like someone else said down to the computer and movie. I told them not much i can do about it. A Comcast van with 2 guys and a handheld antenna has crused thru a few times. It's real I guess i could scan it but really don't think it's necessary to prove it that much

posted on Jan, 25 2012 @ 11:49 AM
link   
I work for an ISP and yes, we send letters.They are very detailed and forced upon us by the owners (lawyers) of said copyrighted material. Usually what happens is the owners of the material search and connect and actively SHARE their product with you, so that they can see your IP. then they log it, do a whois, and send the letter with the detailed info. This is how its done, usually ISPs are not out there looking for people to scold, its the RIAA,Sony,HBO,etc and their teams who are out searching the net looking for "pirates".

posted on Jan, 25 2012 @ 12:22 PM
link   
Here's a solution -

Get a VPS from a country like Russia/China/Netherlands

Download your torrents to the VPS (enjoy 5-20mb/s download speed on top of that)

Download it from VPS to your PC, then put on ipod or whatever.
Edit: Don't forget to spoof your mac address (google TMAC) and use a free public wifi connection before you send your files from the VPS to the PC just incase they can nab that info... and only log into the VPS on public wifi...

I had to do something similar cause my ISP kept shutting off my internet for trying to browse with a proxy. They couldn't say jack about me doing it through the VPS.

Good starter - xsserver.eu

The only "problem" is using your real information when you sign up. You can use fake info and a prepaid debit card you bought off someone on Craigslist while using the library/fast food free internet, lol. There are also some other tricks.

edit on 25-1-2012 by oniraug because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 25 2012 @ 12:25 PM
link   
if isp's cared that people downloaded from torrent trackers why would they offer unlimited data per month??

posted on Jan, 25 2012 @ 12:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by chooselove
if isp's cared that people downloaded from torrent trackers why would they offer unlimited data per month??

they actually dont and most limit your bandwidth to around 250GB / month. Look through the terms.

after you use that, you'll notice it slows down a lot
or they charge you like AT&T

www.tomshardware.com...
customer.comcast.com...

Time warner said they dropped their cap.
boingboing.net...
(wish I knew that before i got at&t)
edit on 25-1-2012 by oniraug because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 25 2012 @ 12:34 PM
link   
reply to post by oniraug

i am in australia we dont get shaped on an unlimited plan
i am on 400GB a month if i go over that i get shaped

posted on Jan, 25 2012 @ 12:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by mileysubet
reply to post by SethGecko

So if I follow your logic; it is ok to Steal something you don't like (which is completely subjective) but not something you do like?

I am always amused at the way people try to justify theft (piracy) of any product.

I'm amused that people have managed to be convinced that stuff like music and hollywood movies are actually worth something, they do not accomplish anything. They are worthless.

It's like if someone tried to force you to buy dirt by prosecuting you for it and then hurting/restricting a plethora of other people in the process. This stuff is not "art" and no one is losing any money from someone else trading their garbage on the internet. Maybe they should try to actually make something worth paying for instead of whining to the federal government and bribing them like a bunch of fascist babies.

Thievery implies taking something from someone, you've got a twisted opinion probably molded by the MSM or money. When something is COPIED so that the original "product" remains, it is not theft.

People could stop downloading all this stuff tomorrow, no one would really care. Nobody cares about watching this garbage anymore, people just do it to pass time, these people aren't actually going to pay for this crap anymore. The only reason the federal government is all over this piracy thing is because they are gradually trying to strip away our rights and hollywood is butthurt because nobody likes their trash anymore. They think they can keep raking in the money no matter what quality of "products" they put out.

Nothing is being accomplished by all the crap and it's a totally pointless waste of resources. Why? All because some millionaire sitting in his million dollar house is too greedy to admit his lifes work doesn't even amount to the worth of a small town auto mechanic.

They destroy cars for movies all the time, what does this accomplish? Nothing, someone probably could have used that car to make a living.
edit on 25-1-2012 by RSF77 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 25 2012 @ 12:53 PM
link   
reply to post by jimbo999

Don't forget that not too long ago there was a class action lawsuit because music companies were ripping off consumers on the cost of DVDs.

I got a 12 dollar check.

posted on Jan, 25 2012 @ 01:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by Qemyst

Originally posted by jimbo999

Also, many people pirate things to try them out before buying. I know many people who are not well off enough to purchase everything that comes out that they're interested in. Often times they have purchased something and it would be HORRIBLE. If someone only has enough extra funds laying around for "wants", i'm sure they want to spend it on something that's going to be good. For someone who is well off in a well paying job, it's no big loss. For someone struggling to make ends meet, who rarely gets to splurge on themselves, I think its justified to pirate something to make sure they're not wasting their rare splurge money on garbage.

Cheers

THIS. 100% this. I'm in online school for web/graphic design (Through Devry a top top school for oncampus and online) and they require cs4, the entire package. Thing is like 2000 dollars. I was LUCKY to get my cs4 copy from my school before, art institute of pittsburgh online via a forwarding of my loan refund. Devry doesn't do this. And they have upgraded to cs5. I'm unemployed. Have been for almost a year and a half. (well I have a job at the local grade/high school but as a substitute janitor so I only get called in once a month or less if someone is sick.) If I'm going to save my 2k for a program, I want to ensure it's what I will use for ages and not get it and hate it and OOPS product has been opened and used; now I'm stuck out 2 grand for NOTHING. (not talking about adobe at all; more like other major programs). At least torrenting cs5 would make me up to date on the program and be able to use it and learn with my classes than having to use cs4 forever. I can't see myself able to upgrade to any future CS program for at least five more years. Grateful to have what I have now, CS4 is my own copy in the box from school in early 2010, but I still have to figure out how to repay all that once the loans come to pay back time.

course for that, I'm just going to take more majors so i can keep pushing that due date back. Long as you're in school, you don't have to repay loans. :/ WHAT A SICK MERRY GO ROUND I'M ON.

but yes, I'm ALL for trying before buying. I KNOW the time and effort to create programs. Even video games. Torrent, try it, see if it's worth 60 bucks (Which to me is equivalent to 2000 dollars also) and if it isn't, thank god I didn't waste the money on something I can't return for full price. If it IS good, I buy it because you get more from a real product you can update, etc.

posted on Jan, 25 2012 @ 01:16 PM
link   

no emails from my ISP
'cause i don't have one

my ALFA Usb wifi adaptor has a range of 1 km

nuff said

posted on Jan, 25 2012 @ 01:19 PM
link   

I have not received any warning yet, but that is probably due to me being European.
Either way this is old news, as it has been going on for years already. RIAA/MPAA are known to hang on such sites to track those who download/share their copyrighted works.

I mainly download tv series, as that is the only way i am able to watch my favorites series since there are no lega commercial streaming service here thanks to the tv industry and the only series they import here are things like CSI, reality tv, bones and other such series i cannot stand.

I have no moral issues with this since it is entertainment industry that has forced me and others to do so thanks to not offering any legal alternatives. I would happily pay a small sum or a monthly fee to be able to watch the series i follow.

posted on Jan, 25 2012 @ 01:19 PM
link   

A peerblock is a start but you might wanna see if you can find a proxy service instead that give out another ip that you tunnel to but a vpntunnel so the ISP cant see anything of what you do. But the proxy service that is good will cost you some.

posted on Jan, 25 2012 @ 01:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by chooselove

Because there are many other fully legit reasons for using high bandwidth? Like streaming freely available video from independent people/companies. Even just streaming youtube videos in HD will eat insane amount of bandwidth.
edit on 25-1-2012 by juleol because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6 >>

join