It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What the UK does not want Scotland to know about independance

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 20 2012 @ 03:39 PM
link   
Can I make a small point?

Independence is spelled independence.

Not independance.

Come on - if you want to vote for it, then learn how to spell it.

posted on Jan, 20 2012 @ 03:42 PM
link   
reply to post by EvanB

Scottish people hate the derogatory term "jocks".
Why don't you substitute "jocks" for wogs, coons, darkies, 'n-word's etc etc.
Then you might have an idea quite how offensive you really are ?

posted on Jan, 20 2012 @ 03:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by LeBombDiggity
reply to post by EvanB

This is not true. I used to be in the "Jockery", a term even used by the all the Scottish regiments, about themselves.
It's no worse than "taff" or some other minor ribbing.

Lighten up!!!

posted on Jan, 20 2012 @ 03:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by Scott495
some good points here, keep em comming

Yes i suppose the cut and paste was from a somewhat older source regarding Ireland etc but all countries have their ups and downs and Ireland isnt bankrupt. Lets not forget we all learned lessons from the bankers (shame Ireland didnt have scottish oil to fall back on like London lol).

Interesting point to mention that part of London doesnt pay tax, I read that elswhere in these forums. Maybe we should follow suit and Edinbugh could enjoy the same freedom to encourage growth? The fact we cant decide this ourselves is what chokes Scotland and keeps London on top. Do you think thats fair or am I missing the point?

Ireland might not be bankrupt but that is only because the UK lent it £7 billion plus bailouts from the EU and IMF. Otherwise it would indeed be bankrupt. As for Iceland, it defaulted on its debt, so you could say that it is bankrupt too.

posted on Jan, 20 2012 @ 03:51 PM
link   
reply to post by rigel4

It is true, I know it's true, I'm sitting in a room of Scottish people in Edinburgh and I'm being told they hate the word.

I believe them.

posted on Jan, 20 2012 @ 03:54 PM
link   
Well the Scottish will just have to put up with being called Jocks, because when I lived in Scotland for 2 years (Fife) I suffered light hearted rascism for the entire time but I didn't take it to heart. The Scots are in my opinion alot more racist than those south of the border too, I heard the N and P word a hell of a lot more up there than in England.

posted on Jan, 20 2012 @ 03:55 PM
link   

reply to post by rigel4

It is true, I know it's true, I'm sitting in a room of Scottish people in Edinburgh and I'm being told they hate the word.

I believe them.

I think you are in a room full of 'stuffed shirts', and besides what are you doing in Edinburgh when you could be in Paris, checking out the "de belles dames".

posted on Jan, 20 2012 @ 03:58 PM
link   
reply to post by michael1983l

The Scots don't have to put up with it at all. That's why they want independence from England.

I'm allowed to vote in this referendum even though I'm not even British. I'm voting FOR Scottish independence. That outweighs your "jock jibes" by about a zillion percent I think.

posted on Jan, 20 2012 @ 03:58 PM
link   
The only main gripe I have with the Great Britain is that the Scottish Parliment is only allowed to control less than 10% of its budget allocated by London. The rest of it is made by a handful of people privately educated english elitists hundreds of miles away that know nothing about our country.

Other than that, dont be fooled eh, the politicians in Scotland are just are ruthlessly corrupt as they are in England, I very much doubt Independence will magicaly will all our problems away. And to be fair, the revenue generated by North Sea Oil is pretty much on par with the revenue the City of London generates, so it kinda balances itself out either way.

Who cares though really, Scotlands the better country so, its an internationaly recognized fact, so meh.

posted on Jan, 20 2012 @ 03:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by rigel4

reply to post by EvanB

This is not true. I used to be in the "Jockery", a term even used by the all the Scottish regiments, about themselves.
It's no worse than "taff" or some other minor ribbing.

Lighten up!!!

Maybe not to you, but I and some others round here find it offensive. And it's obvious EvanB was using it in a derogatory manner in his post Quite frankly all his posts on this subject incite racism and bigotry and it goes unnoticed and its not just him. I'm sick of it.

posted on Jan, 20 2012 @ 03:59 PM
link   
Enough of this. Keep the jibes for other sites. Keep it clean here. Now, can we get back to the topic?

posted on Jan, 20 2012 @ 04:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by Ixtab
The only main gripe I have with the Great Britain is that the Scottish Parliment is only allowed to control less than 10% of its budget allocated by London. The rest of it is made by a handful of people privately educated english elitists hundreds of miles away that know nothing about our country.

Other than that, dont be fooled eh, the politicians in Scotland are just are ruthlessly corrupt as they are in England, I very much doubt Independence will magicaly will all our problems away. And to be fair, the revenue generated by North Sea Oil is pretty much on par with the revenue the City of London generates, so it kinda balances itself out either way.

Who cares though really, Scotlands the better country so, its an internationaly recognized fact, so meh.

Are you serious

Alistaire Darling - Jock
Gordon Brown - Jock
Tony Blair - Jock

Don't let their posh accents fool you, the UK has been run by Scottish for the previous 13 years. In fact it is about time the English got some representation.

How about the fact your parliment can vote on English only issues but English can't vote on Scottish only Issues.

Ignorance is blisss eh?
edit on 20-1-2012 by michael1983l because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 20 2012 @ 04:08 PM
link   

Its more obvious when you are on the receiving end than the giving end so perhaps you just noticed more. Ive met some of the nicest people in London and some of the worst. Same everywhere (like it or not were very similar people having lived allong side each other for so long). I also know that some English expect the Scots to disslike them and that get their back up which can give off the wrong vibe.

I have worked with a few Londoners and they never had any problems even with the footie.

posted on Jan, 20 2012 @ 04:09 PM
link   

posted on Jan, 20 2012 @ 04:15 PM
link   

posted on Jan, 20 2012 @ 04:18 PM
link   

posted on Jan, 20 2012 @ 04:18 PM
link   

posted on Jan, 20 2012 @ 04:20 PM
link   

The Scots don't have to put up with it at all. That's why they want independence from England.

I'm allowed to vote in this referendum even though I'm not even British. I'm voting FOR Scottish independence. That outweighs your "jock jibes" by about a zillion percent I think.

I find it ludicrous that a non-scot is allowed to vote on this.

I lived in Paris and did not have the arrogance to even think I could take part in their political system.

posted on Jan, 20 2012 @ 04:22 PM
link   

True, same here as well m8, why should it be considered by some to be ok to jibe abut the English and Scots but not other miorities which is taboo?

I was at a work dinner a few years back and the English gent across from me was talking about scotland and how he wouldnt bring his dog up there (he didnt know I was Scottish). I was fuming but kept my cool. Shockig considering he works for a Scottish company!

some bad apples in every barrel...but I still like apples

posted on Jan, 20 2012 @ 04:23 PM
link   
It's also never bothered me to be called a jock, a sweaty or a round dodger.

To parallel calling someone a jock with being called a derogatory name for the colour of their skin is arguing a point which doesn't exist.

Being Scottish is a nationality...not a race.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join