It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What the UK does not want Scotland to know about independance

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 20 2012 @ 04:26 PM
link   
reply to post by selfharmonise

and whats the difference? just because were the same colour its ok?

sorry but I dissagree. if someone hates someone for being English Scottish or Nigerian and is bias towards them then its the same thing.

posted on Jan, 20 2012 @ 04:27 PM
link   
reply to post by selfharmonise

Why shouldn't I be allowed to vote ? It's my legal right, as it is for English people to vote in France.

Of course, most English people in France don't vote because they can't speak, read or write in French.

They just shout in English instead.

It's such an endearing quality, shouting in English.

posted on Jan, 20 2012 @ 04:28 PM
link   

posted on Jan, 20 2012 @ 04:28 PM
link   

posted on Jan, 20 2012 @ 04:30 PM
link   

posted on Jan, 20 2012 @ 04:30 PM
link   
ENOUGH!!!! Get back to the topic people and start acting like adults.

posted on Jan, 20 2012 @ 04:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by Scott495
reply to post by michael1983l

True, same here as well m8, why should it be considered by some to be ok to jibe abut the English and Scots but not other miorities which is taboo?

I was at a work dinner a few years back and the English gent across from me was talking about scotland and how he wouldnt bring his dog up there (he didnt know I was Scottish). I was fuming but kept my cool. Shockig considering he works for a Scottish company!

some bad apples in every barrel...but I still like apples

Whats your take on the Scottish education system? do you think that we are teaching
basic literacy well, and further will the higher education system, still be free, post Scottish independence.

posted on Jan, 20 2012 @ 04:58 PM
link   
How about we use the terms "scottish people" and "english people" and refrain from the petty schoolyard bickering eh?

Or, more simply, if you feel you need to bicker, don't post.

That way, we can have a civilised and courteous debate, without resorting to outdated, pointless and stupid stereotypes.

posted on Jan, 20 2012 @ 05:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by purplemer
reply to post by Scott495

NIce read but i dont know how you can consider Ireland and Iceland a success in the present climate. And many of the Irish are not that keen on the scotish after what the scotish done in northern island.

. The result would be that Scotland would be the powerful country in the former UK

It would not England will remain far richer and the reason being that is contains a mega city that attracts a lot of international trade and it has the sqaure mile. The richest square mile on earth. That is were the UK gets its wealth from. Funnny the coroperation of london (is exempt from tax though...

It would in my eyes be a mistake for scotland to become independent from England. If scotland had left the UK 15 years ago it would be in the same state as Ireland now

Most Irish people don't associate the Scots with Northern Ireland, the Scots are generally liked over here.

I don't think its right to say Scotland would have ended up like Ireland or Iceland if they'd become independent, for one thing they'd have oil, and they wouldn't necessarily have followed the same policies as Ireland. Part of Irelands problem was a housing collapse at the same time as the global financial crisis

posted on Jan, 20 2012 @ 05:30 PM
link   
reply to post by rigel4

Education in Scotland is world class. Unfortunatley if like me you cant spell then thats another matter hehe

I think free education is key to and independence vote in Scotland. People will only vote yes if it benefits Scotland.

edit on 20-1-2012 by Scott495 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 20 2012 @ 05:37 PM
link   
reply to post by LeBombDiggity

Have you lived in Scotland for long and do you intend to settle here? if so I totaly agree with you.

my wife is Chinese and she looks forward to becoming a citizen so she can vote (something she has never been able to do in China).

posted on Jan, 20 2012 @ 05:40 PM
link   
reply to post by Essan

I actually meant that there is part of London that pays no tax and is considered not part of the UK with its own laws, police and fire service...and coat of arms (same thing as the Vatican City)

posted on Jan, 20 2012 @ 05:57 PM
link   
reply to post by Scott495

The UK government is supposedly democratic and is elected to serve the wishes of the public. More and more it is becoming less democratic and takes many decisions against the wishes of the majority. If it truly were democratic then Scotland would already be independent as this is what the majority of Scots want and have done for many years (57% as opposed to 43%).

Actually your figures are way off.

The latest polls show that 61% of Scots oppose independence, whilst 39% are for it.

Also

Poll after poll has consistently shown the majority of Scots want to remain part of the United Kingdom," the Scottish tory leader Ruth Davidson said. "Scotland is better off in Britain

Cameron is quite happy to have a "yes, no" referendum next year....Salmond wants to wait until 2014.....why is that?

source

Interestingly more English people are keen to sever ties with Scotland than Scots are vice versa.

source

Personally, I think you are putting far too much stock into Scotland oil reserves, independence from the UK will see Scotland failing on a far grander scale than Ireland......IMHO.

posted on Jan, 20 2012 @ 06:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by Scott495
reply to post by Essan

I actually meant that there is part of London that pays no tax and is considered not part of the UK with its own laws, police and fire service...and coat of arms (same thing as the Vatican City)

Where is that?......I have honestly never heard of such a place in London?

posted on Jan, 20 2012 @ 08:35 PM
link   
Funny nobody has mentioned the finest resource that the Bonnie Heelands have to offer this world.....
WELL AGED SCOTCH WHISKY!
This is the secret of scttish success in the past.....
The world would be your oysters......just bring the booze......
cheers from the great white north!
And if you guys get tired of your world position you can always move the entire country to vancouver island!

posted on Jan, 20 2012 @ 08:36 PM
link   
reply to post by michael1983l

Errr what?

You should probably check your "facts" there im affraid, the vast majority of MP's in Parliament are English and comparative to population it actualy works out fairly even. The fact a handful of PMs happen to be Scottish is sheer happenstance, I do not see how this leads you to conclude England is somehow disenfranchised at the hands of a Scottish tyranny lol. History pretty much suggests the complete opposite.

The Scots are runing parliament are we?, LOL. I guess thats why we control so little of our budget and I suppose thats why we keep limiting the powers of the Scottish Parliament so much. Yeah that makes sense, we have secretly been runing the country for the last 13 years and we have been making things worse for ourselves because, thats what would make sense.

posted on Jan, 20 2012 @ 08:38 PM
link   
reply to post by Argyll

The City of London, its a sqaure mile, the Corporation of London is there and its pretty much the center of the universe.

en.wikipedia.org...

posted on Jan, 20 2012 @ 08:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by Ixtab
reply to post by Argyll

The City of London, its a sqaure mile, the Corporation of London is there and its pretty much the center of the universe.

en.wikipedia.org...

Okay.....and if you live there, you don't pay any tax?.....you have your own laws?...and your not part of the UK?

I don't think so.

edit on 20/1/2012 by Argyll because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 21 2012 @ 04:18 AM
link   
Here is a link to a video explaining the part about part of London paying no tax. BTW its not the people but business owned by certain people that enjoys free tax status. Mostly the video explains the church but keep going and you get to it

corruption at its finest

www.youtube.com...
edit on 21-1-2012 by Scott495 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 21 2012 @ 04:46 AM
link   
This vid was posted on another thread on a similar subject. A quick view of this should knock the petty name calling on this thread on the head

Come on guys - about 30% of this entire thread has been deleted for T&C violations - that's embarrassing. This is the most important decision the people of this country will ever have to make and there are precious few opportunities to properly debate the relevant issues.

And to the poster who claimed thousands of jobs were at risk if we lost Faslane LOL...good if we did. (stop us being a primary target)..but the figure is simply wrong. There are circa 900 civilian jobs to lose...not thousands.

Cancelling Trident - The Economic and Employment Consequences for Scotland

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join