It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What the UK does not want Scotland to know about independance

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 21 2012 @ 05:28 AM
link   
reply to post by christina-66

I just love that Alan Bissett monologue. It's absolutely spot on.

posted on Jan, 21 2012 @ 07:18 AM
link   
Leaving the U.K is fishy to me , they don't seem to understand just how serious this is , i mean , why not just join the long list of countries currently screaming " NUKE ME ! "

We hard working English taxpayers are sending billions up to our ungrateful neighbours every year , that will stop as soon as they get their "independence", Oil is a dying business and with competitors like America / England / Russia / China ... who needs enemies ? plus , most of the Oil that goes through scotland isn't actually theirs .

Once out , they can`t keep the £ , so ..... "its euros for you"
, they`ll have to pay for their own prescriptions , their own education , and will even have to spend a fortune on building their armed forces too since an independent country needs to be able to defend its own borders, and Scotland`s Army, Navy + Air Force are........ well......... a fraction .... of the British Army , Navy + Air Force , so pulling out of the U.K is pulling out of Britain, which means pulling out of the British Armed Forces , ( you cant have your cake and eat it ) , which can only mean bad news for Scotland as they would be too close to England for them to not be considered a threat. And since we've got all the nukes / subs / destroyers / and bombers , the S.A.S , and all the allies , not forgetting the British Army being the toughest force on the face of the Earth , i think Scotland needs to just S.T.F.U.

An independent Scotland will be the next country that goes to the I.M.F "cap in hand"..... either that or the next country to be "liberated" by England and the JEW . S . A.

Who`s going to pay for all the cider and tracksuits ?

posted on Jan, 21 2012 @ 07:27 AM
link   
reply to post by AtheistFishMonkey

Time will tell.

Remember 1 thing, a nuke strike on Scotland effects England also and vice versa so that is a moot point. We dont need England to defend ourselves in this bag bad old world like some would have us beleive.

Oh yeh and sorry to dissapint you but England does not own the £ and cant dictate who uses it or not (whatever gave you that idea?). The downside would be we would use a currency we cannot devaluate ourselves but thats another point.

once again I refer to my original post that there is too much ill advised opinions pandering about (on both sides I admit).

edit on 21-1-2012 by Scott495 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 21 2012 @ 07:28 AM
link   
reply to post by HallamFoe

No it's not. We don't HAVE to and I don't think we will considering the state of the Euro at the moment, and I certainly don't think the Scottish government are that stupid to do such a thing.

You vote for independance then that's what you get - why would you want to keep the BRITISH or ENGLISH Sterling?
To be honest I don't think we'd let you use it - good luck with the Euro.

posted on Jan, 21 2012 @ 07:40 AM
link   
reply to post by Freeborn

England cannot dictate if we can use the £ or not. It would be up to Scotland to decide if we use a currency we dont fully control.

posted on Jan, 21 2012 @ 07:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by Scott495

Time will tell.

Remember 1 thing, a nuke strike on Scotland effect England also and vice versa so that is a moot point. We dont need England to defend ourselves in this bag bad old world like some would have us beleive.

any proof to back up your claims?

What claims mate ? its all pretty straight forward .... if Scotland walks away from Britain , there`s no keepng the Pound , they cant have anything to do with the British Armed Forces , they wont get billions each year from English taxes , they will need to effectivley start from scratch . They`ll need to sign new agreements for British trade , theyll need to make their minds up on weather to let Britain keep nuke sub bases there or not , new agreements with America , Norway and so on ...... its too big of a headache and an almost laughable move with the current state of global finances. And being the closest "independent"country to England they will certainly be considered a threat.

posted on Jan, 21 2012 @ 07:44 AM
link   
reply to post by Scott495

The £ is British , leave Britain , you leave the £ , plain and simple mate.

posted on Jan, 21 2012 @ 07:45 AM
link   

England cannot dictate if we can use the £ or not. It would be up to Scotland to decide if we use a currency we dont fully control.

Yes we can, and there is absolutely nothing you can do about it!

posted on Jan, 21 2012 @ 07:54 AM
link   

Oh yeh and sorry to dissapint you but England does not own the £ and cant dictate who uses it or not (whatever gave you that idea?).

edit on 21-1-2012 by Scott495 because: (no reason given)

Well sorry to dissapoint you mate , but , the United Kingdom owns British Sterling , or , " the pound ".

en.wikipedia.org...

posted on Jan, 21 2012 @ 07:54 AM
link   
reply to post by rigel4

This is not true. I used to be in the "Jockery", a term even used by the all the Scottish regiments, about themselves.
It's no worse than "taff" or some other minor ribbing.

Lighten up!!!

LeBombDiggity is a surrender monkey and just likes to stir trouble between us English and you Scots, and history teaches us that when the proverbial starts to fly they skulk away and leave the Scots in the lurch.
This is the man who uses the term 'rosbifs' at every opportunity.
Fortunately one of OUR greatest assets is the ability to laugh at ourselves....unlike those continentals.

reply to post by LeBombDiggity

It is true, I know it's true, I'm sitting in a room of Scottish people in Edinburgh and I'm being told they hate the word.

But those Edinburghers can be so dour,staid and humourless....unlike the vast majority of their countrymen.

There has been testaments on here that Scots don't hate being called 'Jock' and I know lots of Scots, none of them mind being called it....I suppose it's all in the context etc that the word is used, as most things.

reply to post by Scott495

With all due respect, how could you decide, you would no longer be part of Britain and it is Britain's currency hence Britain would decide.

And surely if you vote for independance then it should be indepandance and either the Euro or Scotlands own currency.

Seems a bit like cherry picking the best parts of independance, but it doesn't work that way - all or nothing.

posted on Jan, 21 2012 @ 08:23 AM
link   
The question of who would have the oil appears to me to be a little mute.

The oil companies that drill, pump and refine the oil appear to own it from where I stand. If they dont officially they have the on/off button which is 100% control in my book.

So an independant Scotland will not mean an oil rich Scotland. It will still be a dependant Scotland and dependant on one thing. The oil companies. Look at the middle east and all the other destabilised 'oil rich' countries..

Also in the UK only England does not have a parliment. Only the English have no self determination and yet all politicians of The UK can decide on purely English issues. So if Scotish independance means we get some say in how our country (England ) is run I say go for it.

You cannot keep blameing the English for all your troubles. We all know there is us and them. There is the unwashed, unvalued working classes and the ruling elite. That same elite will be in control whether we remain the UK or break into nation states and do you think they will care?

Any loss in power and wealth due to the end of the UK will be more than offset by a further divided workforce spending even more time hateing each other rather than oposing the real targets.

So I say keep doing your masters dirty work. Carry on hateing.

posted on Jan, 21 2012 @ 08:40 AM
link   
reply to post by colin42

I agree mate , alot of companies are drilling up there , and if an independent Scotland was to tell everyone to get out of their waters , well , thats fighting talk this day and age. Britain gets alot of oil from our deals with America and Russia , were sitting on a stockpile in the Falklands , so this oil arguement is pretty pointless lol , plus , it would still be considered to be British waters anyway so they couldn`t just lay claim to it, it would start territorial conflict , which , if it led to war , would be like a " body-builder " fighting a 10yr old.

posted on Jan, 21 2012 @ 08:52 AM
link   

None of that's going to happen.

If the Scots vote for independance then a deal will be agreed.
Of course Scotland will want all the oil, but they won't get it just as England won't get as much as it want's.

The oil companies won't care because they'll still make their money regardless of who owns what.

posted on Jan, 21 2012 @ 08:57 AM
link   
----Originally posted by Scott495------

Scotland is partially independent and already has it's own parliament, laws, healthcare, legal system, education system etc. In such areas Scotland is doing very well, especially in education which since becoming independent from England has become one of the best in the world (1st, 2nd or 6th best depending how you measure it). In some respects Scotland has become a victim of it's own success, education is not only flourishing but is free of charge at all levels. One drawback has been an influx of English students which is stretching resources and is a drain on the Scottish economy.

As an independent country Scotland would have it's own voice in UN, NATO and other organisations.
...................................................................................................................................................... ............

LMFAO !

"education is not only flourishing but is free of charge at all levels" ...... yes , that`s, because English taxes pay for it.

"One drawback has been an influx of English students which is stretching resources and is a drain on the Scottish economy." .......... sorry but do you mean the English students ...you know, the only students that pay cash for a uni place in Scotland ?

"As an independent country Scotland would have it's own voice in UN, NATO and other organisations." ....... in about 20 o 30 years mate aye , but not now , Scotland doesnt even meet the requirements. To even think of such a thing is ...... just silly mate ...... silly.

Thanks for the chuckle mate , you should write "stand up" .

edit on 21-1-2012 by AtheistFishMonkey because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 21 2012 @ 08:58 AM
link   

I'm a Scot who, until reading your posts was pretty pro union (albeit open to persuasion) however, your noxiously aggressive attitude is almost enough for me not only to vote for independence but to install stringent security facilities at the border with England. You see us as a threat? What you worried about? Your sheep?

It's entirely up to Scotland what currency it uses. It's actually to England's benefit if Scotland chooses sterling - it increases demand for the product and raises it's value. In any event - given it was a Scotsman who planned and co-founded the Bank of England I imagine we would somehow get our currency issues resolved.

posted on Jan, 21 2012 @ 09:06 AM
link   

I know mate , but there`s going to be some "top notch" arguements over the oil and the water boundries , it shouldnt lead to war , and if it did it would be nothing more than pure bullying.
Let them have independence , on the one condition that they never try to join the UK again, it`ll free up a bit cash for us , and let them see wat life in te big world is really like.

posted on Jan, 21 2012 @ 09:13 AM
link   

If you believe oil companies do not consider the economic and political strengths/weaknesses of the countries they work out of I would need a lot of persuading as it is not what I have seen in the news and other sources.

In fact there are indiactions that the oil companies interests are actively supported covertly whether that is the need to stabilise the country or destabilise the country and the recent oil driven conflicts give more weight to my stance than yours.

Of course deals will be struck between All the members affected in the union not just Scotland and England and the oil companies will be very well represented. The ones that will have no say will be the likes of you and me.

edit on 21-1-2012 by colin42 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 21 2012 @ 09:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by christina-66

I'm a Scot who, until reading your posts was pretty pro union (albeit open to persuasion) however, your noxiously aggressive attitude is almost enough for me not only to vote for independence but to install stringent security facilities at the border with England. You see us as a threat? What you worried about? Your sheep?

I'm an Englishman who, for my whole life, has seen the treatment that the English suffer at the hands of the Scottish and Welsh when they move to those countries. I have witnessed first hand, the sheer hatred that pulses around Scottish and Welsh veins for the English. Giving you an armed forces would endanger the lives of the English people who live in the north, it is for that reason that I see you as more than a threat, I see you as a national enemy of England. I see no other option but to build large, extremely heavily armed borders with Scotland and Wales, guarded with enough force to repel any invasion.

posted on Jan, 21 2012 @ 09:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by christina-66

It's entirely up to Scotland what currency it uses. It's actually to England's benefit if Scotland chooses sterling - it increases demand for the product and raises it's value. In any event - given it was a Scotsman who planned and co-founded the Bank of England I imagine we would somehow get our currency issues resolved.

Lol , look mate , the british/english sterling , is - only used by the U.K and its foreign territories - , once scotland leaves the uk , it loses uk currency - what`s so hard to understand ?
And by - a threat - what i mean is , an independent Scotland woud be the closest non UK country to England, France needs to cross the channel , Scotland needs to cross the road , dont you understand how territories work ? We class America as a threat but im not saying we need to invade them ... jesus wept lad.
edit on 21-1-2012 by AtheistFishMonkey because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 21 2012 @ 09:19 AM
link   
scotland won't leave, even most the scots don't want this, its just the SNP getting some bigger balls with their bigger funding.

if they do i think they'll keep the £, they already have their pictures on their money anyways but if not it will become another eu puppet nation.

as a non scottish brit, i would like to see the scots stay, scottland is a great country and just because some dont want any part of it anymore, there shouldn't be hatred among us.

i dont even know what will happen to our military, i think we will still all be part the british army as we have been one people too long for us to just break it up.
also most of the SAS are scottish.

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join