It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

United Kingdom's New Name

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 18 2012 @ 03:49 PM
link   
It cannot be Britannia as Ireland was Hibernia in roman times.

it obviously would be called Toryland

posted on Jan, 18 2012 @ 05:02 PM
link   
Why make up more names? It is an ideal opportunity for progression through regression.

"Imagine there are no countries, it isn`t that hard to do
Nothing to kill or die for"

posted on Jan, 18 2012 @ 05:08 PM
link   
Scotland can break away whenever they want - They still suck at football

posted on Jan, 18 2012 @ 05:39 PM
link   
United Kingdom's New Name ?

The Triumvirate

i.e. a group or association of three

Although Northern Ireland could see any number of possible outcomes yet.

30 years ago nobody would of believed that Peter Robinson and Martin McGuinness would be side by side in a power sharing executive.

posted on Jan, 18 2012 @ 06:07 PM
link   
Albion or Greater England or Briton.

Of course we could let Scotland go independant and then re-invade and take it back to settle the issue once and for all

posted on Jan, 18 2012 @ 06:50 PM
link   
They will feel like SS Enterprise without him :

posted on Jan, 18 2012 @ 07:02 PM
link   
I'll call it England as I always have, Scotland as I always have, Ireland, Wales etc. I've been corrected a few occasions by tourists I've raised a glass with from these fair lands; they do not wish to be referred to as British, they are either English, Scot, Irish, Welsh
Either that or you guys over there can start the argument now of which of you wishes to be the 51st State, 52nd... Since your crazy politicians seem to step right in line with whatever brand of non-sense our politicians propose.

posted on Jan, 18 2012 @ 08:15 PM
link   
how about HSBC or Barclay's.

posted on Jan, 18 2012 @ 08:49 PM
link   
This was actually discussed briefly on the Channel 4 news last Friday.

Can't remember exactly what the names were but it was something like...

Scotland would become The Independent Republic of Scotland

The rest would become The Social and Democratic Kingdoms of Britain

Personally I think both those names are rubbish...bit of a mouth full! They should just keep it simple.
edit on 18-1-2012 by HallamFoe because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 18 2012 @ 09:01 PM
link   
Industro Sector 6, 12th sub division of the Greater Pan Eurasian Economic Zone

posted on Jan, 18 2012 @ 11:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by YeshuaPiso
Let's assume for a moment that in the Autumn of 2014, the people of Scotland vote to reclaim their independence thereby negating the Act of Union 1707.

What then will the Rest of the UK (RUK) re-name itself? This might seem at first glance to be a simple problem but when you actually break down the legalities of the current entity's name it becomes rather complicated.

The United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland becomes ... what exactly?

Apparently you have failed to study history, there is no complication when it comes to the name of the 'old kingdoms' and therefore a name for the Kingdoms that no longer include Scotland.

The reason why the world knows the UK as Great Britain is because after Scotland joined the union we were then known as greater Britain where as previously England and Wales were known as Britain/Briton.

You see Greater Britain was shortened to Great Britain, it is only a name.

The Law/legality apparently has absolutely nothing to do with anything.

The hypothetical new name, I assume, Would be...

The United Kingdom of Britain and Northern Ireland.

Let's not forget that on the 01/01/1801 the 'name' of our nation was:

The United Kingdom of Great Britain and Ireland.

Do you see how things can change, people adapt and life goes on?

edit on 18-1-2012 by TheOriginalGeeza because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 19 2012 @ 12:43 AM
link   
England and friends?

posted on Jan, 19 2012 @ 12:50 AM
link   
reply to post by YeshuaPiso

Salmond Promises Queen will remain Scottish Monarch

Last week, during the Royal opening of the fourth Scottish Parliament, Salmond boldly told Her Majesty: Don’t worry, you’ll still be head of state when (not ‘if’, Alex doesn’t do hypotheticals) we become independent. It took me to remind everyone via my blog that SNP policy has actually, since 1997, been to hold a referendum during the first term of an ‘independent parliament’ on the question of ‘whether or not to retain the monarch as head of State for Scotland’.

It's worth bearing in mind that not all SNP politicians are explicitly against the monarchy though I'd be willing to bet that most are republicans. Chances are that the Queen would remain their symbolic head of state (like other nations in the commonwealth) until they had a refferendum on it.

On what we could be called though? The Kingdom of England and Wales?

posted on Jan, 19 2012 @ 03:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by YeshuaPiso

Originally posted by keldas
Well you could say Dis United Kingdom or DUK for short.

Or Albion or perhaps the United Kingdom of Albion.

Although I do like the name Britannia.

Albion - another old school suggestion.

Seems like Britannia might be the one though.

I like Albion too - definitely old school seems the way forward. How about just plain pinching the Romans ideas? Britannia Superior and Britannia Inferior?

posted on Jan, 19 2012 @ 04:07 AM
link   
reply to post by blupblup

nice suggestions there blupblup.

just to add how about the coalition of united national territories?
f.

posted on Jan, 19 2012 @ 04:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by cassandranova
What I suspect would happen is that it would remain the UK, with the formal name being the United Kingdom of England, Wales, and Northern Ireland. Should NI leave, just England and Wales, still same name.

How can it be a United Kingdom of England, Wales and Northern Ireland when Wales nor Northern Ireland are kingdoms?

The "United Kingdom" part in our full name derives from the uniting of the Kingdoms of Scotland and England. Not Wales and Northern Ireland.

If anything, it would simply be "The Kingdom and United Nations of England, Wales and Northern Ireland".

posted on Jan, 19 2012 @ 04:24 AM
link   
I know...

What about the English Commonwealth? I'm sure Northern Ireland would not object to it...

posted on Jan, 19 2012 @ 04:34 AM
link   
I can see in a few years down the line Northern Ireland either becoming an independant country or rejoining the south of Ireland if Scotland were to leave the U.K.

N.Ireland's greatest connection with the U.K is through Scotland. People in N.I may start to question if there is still a need to be part of it. It may be more economically benificial for all parties to break ties eventually, particulary if the oil and gas thats been found on the irish coast turns out to be quite big.

So one day it could just be England & Wales by themselves.

posted on Jan, 19 2012 @ 04:38 AM
link   
Britain and Northern Ireland would, I suppose, be the correct name. Or, more commonly, just Britain.

But I'd prefer to go back to Albion - not least to wind up the Scottish sasennachs who will no doubt still be mistakenly referring to their country as Alba*

Of course, we'd have a new flag too.

* which is the gaelic form of Albion, and refers these days only to the Highlands.

posted on Jan, 19 2012 @ 04:44 AM
link   
Of course, ideally, it'd be something like the Federal Kingdom of Great Britain and Ireland and we'd do away with all this breaking up into petty feudal states nonsense

( I'm just waiting for Gewisse to want independance next
)

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join