It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

United Kingdom's New Name

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 18 2012 @ 10:12 AM
link   
Let's assume for a moment that in the Autumn of 2014, the people of Scotland vote to reclaim their independence thereby negating the Act of Union 1707.

What then will the Rest of the UK (RUK) re-name itself? This might seem at first glance to be a simple problem but when you actually break down the legalities of the current entity's name it becomes rather complicated.

The United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland becomes ... what exactly?

So, United Kingdom refers to the Union of the crowns of Scotland and England in 1603 under James VI of Scotland who became James I of Great Britain. (Although this implicitly included Wales which was considered part of the Kingdom of England following 'absorption', Wales was never a 'Kingdom' in the sense of Scotland and England and was really a series of independent kingdoms.)

Therefore, should Scotland remove itself from this arrangement, the nation left behind cannot use the sobriquet 'United Kingdom'.

'Great Britain' is a derivation of Greater Britain to denote the larger of the two major islands of the British Isles - England, Scotland and Wales on Greater Britain and Ireland on Lesser Britain.

Again, therefore, the name 'Great Britain' cannot be used if Scotland is no longer part of the equation.

...'and Northern Ireland' demonstrates the bolt on nature of this part of the United Kingdom - the retained part of Lesser Britain following the formation of the Republic of Ireland and, again, not a kingdom in its own right.

So, in RUK (England, Wales and Northern Ireland) we have one kingdom, a number of principalities and a province of Ireland. What are we to make of this?

Any suggestions, ATSers?

posted on Jan, 18 2012 @ 10:17 AM
link   
Dont think anything will change..

but if it should change the name they should name it Fantasia as the world of neverending story

posted on Jan, 18 2012 @ 10:23 AM
link   
It'll have to change, the United Kingdom will no longer exist. Its as simple as that. I personally think it should be called.

The United Nations of England, Wales and Northern Ireland.

From a legal point of view, i would imagine that it would be forced to change its name. Maybe not immediately but in due course.
edit on 18/1/12 by jrmcleod because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 18 2012 @ 10:26 AM
link   
reply to post by YeshuaPiso

I would be very surprised if the name was actually changed. However, i do see your point.

Just to get you going, how about the Kingdom of Flodden?
(don't answer, couldn't resist).

How about.......the United Nations?

posted on Jan, 18 2012 @ 10:34 AM
link   
I've played around with it for a while now. Best I've come up with so far is Union of Brittanic Nations (UBN) but I'm sure there's got to be something better.

posted on Jan, 18 2012 @ 10:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by YeshuaPiso
I've played around with it for a while now. Best I've come up with so far is Union of Brittanic Nations (UBN) but I'm sure there's got to be something better.

I actually like that one but im not sure how accurate it is these days - particularly if you leave the fold. Subjects of the Angles would be more accurate!

How about simply Britania? Revert to old school!
edit on 18-1-2012 by Flavian because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 18 2012 @ 10:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by Flavian

I actually like that one but im not sure how accurate it is these days - particularly if you leave the fold. Subjects of the Angles would be more accurate!

How about simply Britania? Revert to old school!
edit on 18-1-2012 by Flavian because: (no reason given)

Britannia is certainly an option. Would be nice to get some Welsh and Northern Irish feedback on it though.

edit on 18-1-2012 by YeshuaPiso because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 18 2012 @ 10:42 AM
link   
pretty sure it says "her Britannic majesty demands......" on my passport so Britannia sounds good especially as a ultima games fan so Lord British for PM

posted on Jan, 18 2012 @ 10:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by Maxatoria
pretty sure it says "her Britannic majesty demands......" on my passport so Britannia sounds good especially as a ultima games fan so Lord British for PM

Britannia takes an early lead then...

posted on Jan, 18 2012 @ 10:46 AM
link   
Sorry but if Scotland goes, then Wales and Northern Ireland can push-off too.

Then we can concentrate on the bit that matters..... England.

Cosmic..
edit on 18-1-2012 by Cosmic4life because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 18 2012 @ 10:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by Cosmic4life
Sorry but if Scotland goes, then Wales and Northern Ireland can push-off too, lol.

Then we can concentrate on the bit that matters..... England.

Cosmic..

Going by your avatar - how about The Brittas Empire

posted on Jan, 18 2012 @ 10:49 AM
link   

Hmmm El Presidente Ace Rimmer...

Cosmic..

posted on Jan, 18 2012 @ 10:49 AM
link   

Seems to be an "s" missing.

posted on Jan, 18 2012 @ 10:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by Vandalour
name it Fantasia as the world of neverending story

just watch out for those rock biters, grumpy buggers.

we'll never change the name or the flag, why would we?
although if i could choose it would be "footballers get paid too much and super-injunctions are stupid land"
edit on 18/1/2012 by listerofsmeg because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 18 2012 @ 12:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by listerofsmeg

Originally posted by Vandalour
name it Fantasia as the world of neverending story

just watch out for those rock biters, grumpy buggers.

we'll never change the name or the flag, why would we?
although if i could choose it would be "footballers get paid too much and super-injunctions are stupid land"
edit on 18/1/2012 by listerofsmeg because: (no reason given)

Although it's a pretty technical point, I don't think there's any question that the rest of the UK will have to change its name. The United Kingdom will no longer exist.

The flag might be easier to retain.

posted on Jan, 18 2012 @ 12:31 PM
link   
This came about from the thread on the vote, didn't it? Good to see you opened a thread chap.

Now, before I answer the question, the fly in the ointment is that Scotland would retain the Monarchy, meaning that the Queen (or King) would remain so of both England and Scotland. That said, we wouldn't be "united"..

Now, the logical name for such a place would be The Kingdom of England and Northern Ireland.

But, I suspect, this would irk the Welsh who would feel left out, so maybe to placate them it would have to be The Kingdom of England, Wales and Northern Ireland. A question then arises as to what the short name would be, such as now it is simply the UK or Britain.

These are the two logical choices, but why let an opportunity pass us by? We could invent a better name, surely? Maybe we could have our own referendum, lol?

I personally would like the Kingdom of Stu!

posted on Jan, 18 2012 @ 12:35 PM
link   

So, in RUK (England, Wales and Northern Ireland) we have one kingdom, a number of principalities and a province of Ireland. What are we to make of this?

Any suggestions, ATSers?

The Republic of England, The Republic of Wales and The Republic of Northern Ireland (or handover to the ROI)

posted on Jan, 18 2012 @ 12:38 PM
link   
I like Britannia, but I think Roman Britannia incorporated parts of Scotland...

posted on Jan, 18 2012 @ 12:38 PM
link   
Surely if the Scots push off it should be called EvenGreater Britain ?

posted on Jan, 18 2012 @ 12:46 PM
link   
reply to post by staticarium

We could only be Republics if we ditched the Crown and there is no appetite for that..

Thank God I say, imagine a President Blair or Brown....

Urrrrggh

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join