It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

United Kingdom's New Name

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 18 2012 @ 01:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by stumason
reply to post by staticarium

We could only be Republics if we ditched the Crown and there is no appetite for that..

Thank God I say, imagine a President Blair or Brown....

Urrrrggh

You see how quickly the appetite builds when they announce that their yacht will in fact be funded by the taxpayer and built outside of the UK at the time when our unemployment levels grow. That and seeing Queen Camilla lauding it up.

posted on Jan, 18 2012 @ 01:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by stumason
This came about from the thread on the vote, didn't it? Good to see you opened a thread chap.

Now, before I answer the question, the fly in the ointment is that Scotland would retain the Monarchy, meaning that the Queen (or King) would remain so of both England and Scotland. That said, we wouldn't be "united"..

Now, the logical name for such a place would be The Kingdom of England and Northern Ireland.

But, I suspect, this would irk the Welsh who would feel left out, so maybe to placate them it would have to be The Kingdom of England, Wales and Northern Ireland. A question then arises as to what the short name would be, such as now it is simply the UK or Britain.

These are the two logical choices, but why let an opportunity pass us by? We could invent a better name, surely? Maybe we could have our own referendum, lol?

I personally would like the Kingdom of Stu!

Kingdom of Stu has a certain gravitas...

At the moment, SNP policy is indeed to retain the monarchy - not sure though that it isn't just a way of making it seem like a less radical change. I would suggest most SNP supporters are fairly republican in outlook so not sure how often the Monarchy would last - perhaps till Elizabeth II dies.

To be honest, I think Britain as a short name would be fine.

posted on Jan, 18 2012 @ 01:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by ProRipp
Surely if the Scots push off it should be called EvenGreater Britain ?

How about Lesser Britain?

Not in a condescending way - just to acknowledge that our Scottish kingdom was 'united' almost a hundred years before England's?

posted on Jan, 18 2012 @ 01:06 PM
link   
Well you could say Dis United Kingdom or DUK for short.

Or Albion or perhaps the United Kingdom of Albion.

Although I do like the name Britannia.

posted on Jan, 18 2012 @ 01:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by keldas
Well you could say Dis United Kingdom or DUK for short.

Or Albion or perhaps the United Kingdom of Albion.

Although I do like the name Britannia.

Albion - another old school suggestion.

Seems like Britannia might be the one though.

posted on Jan, 18 2012 @ 01:15 PM
link   
reply to post by YeshuaPiso

Under the previous draft referendum for Scottish independence written by the SNP party...

SECOND BALLOT PAPER (POWER TO ENABLE INDEPENDENCE)

The Scottish Parliament has decided to consult people in Scotland on proposals to seek the transfer of more powers to the Parliament.

Proposal 2 is on this ballot paper. Proposal 1 is on a separate ballot paper. You can vote on both proposals.

Background to Proposal 2The Scottish Government, in the paper Your Scotland, Your Voice (published on 30 November 2009), set out its preference for an independent Scotland which would-

have the rights and responsibilities of a normal, sovereign state,

be a full member of the European Union,

maintain a relationship with the remainder of the United Kingdom where the nations co-operate on cross-border cultural, social and policy matters,

Retain Her Majesty The Queen as Head of State.

Proposal 2 - Additional power to enable Scotland to become an independent countryThe Scottish Government proposes that, in addition to the extension of the powers and responsibilities of the Scottish Parliament set out in Proposal 1, the Parliament's powers should also be extended to enable independence to be achieved.Do you agree with this proposal?

Scotland's Future: Draft Referendum

Notice the following lines within the link...

be a full member of the European Union

Retain Her Majesty The Queen as Head of State

1.19. Her Majesty The Queen would remain as Head of State. The current parliamentary and political Union of Great Britain and Northern Ireland would become a monarchical and social Union - UNITED KINGDOMSrather than a United Kingdom - maintaining a relationship forged in 1603 by the Union of the Crowns.

This never has been and never will be about Scotland being indepenent, its actually about making Britain a full member of of the European Union starting with Scotland.

The United Kingdom would become the United Kingdoms.

Try telling this to any Scotsman that has watched Braveheart and it turns into a shouting match.

Before anyone stamps on me either, I am Scottish and I live there, im just not glued to the telly.

This is important information that is being ignored in the media and the public do not know of it either.

edit on 18-1-2012 by XXXN3O because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 18 2012 @ 01:18 PM
link   
What about

SHAMBOLICA ?

posted on Jan, 18 2012 @ 01:18 PM
link   
reply to post by XXXN3O

As a member of the SNP, I am aware of current SNP policy.

But United Kingdoms??? Which Kingdoms would be united in any real sense? Just because the Monarch was still the head of state doesn't make the kingdoms 'united'. The 'United Kingdoms' mentioned in the policy document is not a suggestion for a new name - it's just explaining a concept.

Elizabeth II is head of state of various Commonwealth countries - doesn't mean they can be included in the name of the UK....

edit on 18-1-2012 by YeshuaPiso because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 18 2012 @ 01:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by YeshuaPiso
reply to post by XXXN3O

As a member of the SNP, I am aware of current SNP policy.

I myself know a member of the SNP, does not make a bit of difference.

It is not about independence, its about joining Europe, that to me is dependence.

I am aware that it is a proposal, regardless, I still find it alarming that this proposal is suggested as independence when it is not complete independence.
edit on 18-1-2012 by XXXN3O because: To add

posted on Jan, 18 2012 @ 01:24 PM
link   
reply to post by XXXN3O

I'll just mark you down as a 'No' vote in the referendum.

That's democracy.

posted on Jan, 18 2012 @ 01:28 PM
link   
What I suspect would happen is that it would remain the UK, with the formal name being the United Kingdom of England, Wales, and Northern Ireland. Should NI leave, just England and Wales, still same name.

posted on Jan, 18 2012 @ 01:29 PM
link   
wangireland has a nice ring to it.
edit on 18-1-2012 by woodwardjnr because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 18 2012 @ 01:36 PM
link   
Well, if they rearranged the order a bit, and went with the United Kingdom of Northern Ireland, England, and Wales, it would be UK NEW...as opposed to the older UK Classic.

posted on Jan, 18 2012 @ 01:36 PM
link   
How about

The FUK

The Fragmented United Kingdom??

Or...

Great Britain... that works.... British Isles is fine too.

WANK - Wales and New Kingdom?

Or

Just

The Kingdom of The British Isles

edit on 18/1/12 by blupblup because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 18 2012 @ 01:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by blupblup
How about

The FUK

The Fragmented United Kingdom??

Or...

Great Britain... that works.... British Isles is fine too.

WANK - Wales and New Kingdom?

Or

Just

The Kingdom of The British Isles

edit on 18/1/12 by blupblup because: (no reason given)

Actually, assuming those in the RoI didn't find it offensive - Kingdom of the British Isles is pretty good.

posted on Jan, 18 2012 @ 01:39 PM
link   
Immigration Nation..............Acurate and historic.

edit on 18-1-2012 by sussy because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 18 2012 @ 01:40 PM
link   

reply to post by XXXN3O

I'll just mark you down as a 'No' vote in the referendum.

That's democracy.

As it stands, it would be a "No" but if it changed, I might change my mind.

If you ask almost anyone in Scotland that does not pay attention to politics but will still vote (which is quite a lot) "What is independence for Scotland" they will answer believing that Scotland will become completely self sufficient on its oil and whiskey and will not even think about Europe as a solution.

In other words, my worry is that people are not making an informed choice, the vote should be labelled "European Union complete membership & Currency implementation Vote".

Obviously that does not have a buzz too it but im sure you get the gist of my point?

edit on 18-1-2012 by XXXN3O because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 18 2012 @ 01:43 PM
link   
reply to post by XXXN3O

I have to admit (as I have on other threads here and at SNP meetings) I am not in favour of the policy of joining the European Union. I would much prefer the Norwegian option of paying contributions to have unfettered entry to markets but not being subject to the rules and regulations from the Council and Parliament. A substantial number of SNP members agree with that view.

posted on Jan, 18 2012 @ 01:53 PM
link   

reply to post by XXXN3O

I have to admit (as I have on other threads here and at SNP meetings) I am not in favour of the policy of joining the European Union. I would much prefer the Norwegian option of paying contributions to have unfettered entry to markets but not being subject to the rules and regulations from the Council and Parliament. A substantial number of SNP members agree with that view.

The second option sounds like a far better option.

On topic anyways, I like the answers from blupblup

posted on Jan, 18 2012 @ 01:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by XXXN3O

On topic anyways, I like the answers from blupblup

Well this is quite a heavy topic and the other thread ran for pages and pages of arguments... I was just adding a little light relief

And a sensible suggestion too

(Hi btw)

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join