It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Russia to Test if U.S. Radar Downed Phobos Probe

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 17 2012 @ 05:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by Corruption Exposed
reply to post by LeLeu

That thought did cross my mind.

I'm just not sure what would be up there that they want to be kept secret.

It could be anything but I'm not in liberty to speculate since I have no idea.

it is artificial and not a moon IMO. Have you seen the seems and the monolith? First to get old space craft with unknown alien technology...race!

lazymonkey.ws...

www.ufo-disclosure.com...
edit on 17-1-2012 by Char-Lee because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 17 2012 @ 06:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by DJW001

No. Try terawatt radar.

Yeah whatever Captain O, you're done with.

Originally posted by DJW001

You can prove me wrong by having your buddies in the Kremlin knock out an American satellite. Or are they afraid?

All wars start with a first shot. Why does one party fire it and the other not?

posted on Jan, 17 2012 @ 06:06 PM
link   
reply to post by Char-Lee

Thanks for the links.

Check this one out (picture of Phobos)

apod.nasa.gov...

I never noticed those lines before.
edit on 17-1-2012 by Corruption Exposed because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 17 2012 @ 06:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by MDDoxs

-Would constant contact of some radar emission needed to damage onboard systems?

I think its unlikely due to shielding. However sensitive antennas will be vulnerable to a megawatt pulse. Even if the pulse is of a different frequency than the one "expected".

-Shouldnt space travelling vehicles be shielded from certain types of radiations weather man made or not?

Yes they are.

-Would it be possible to track and focus in on a orbit bound object launched from Russia?

The Americans have been tackling this task since October 4th 1957. I think they have it pretty well rounded up.
edit on 17-1-2012 by SolidGoal because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 17 2012 @ 07:09 PM
link   
reply to post by Brasov

All wars start with a first shot. Why does one party fire it and the other not?

Fire away. Oh, wait... you don't have that authority, do you?

edit on 17-1-2012 by DJW001 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 17 2012 @ 08:09 PM
link   

posted on Jan, 17 2012 @ 08:38 PM
link   
reply to post by Brasov

I find it interesting that you will openly berate any American or Westerner who dares post a news link from an American/Western news source, however, you will then go about and post a link from a Russian news source.

Also, I have noticed that you will openly attack anything even relatively American. And then you will attempt to claim that anything that comes out of the West is either propaganda, sabotage or a combination of the two.

Hell, just google the phrase: "Phobos-Grunt Probe" and you'll find over 150 links to news sites all over the world talking about the probe and the US's possible "inadvertent" hitting of the probe, which doesn't appear to be even possible....

"There is a possibility that [Phobos-Grunt] accidentally entered the area covered by the radar, which resulted in a failure of its electronics caused by a megawatt impulse," a space industry source told the Russian newspaper Kommersant

However,

U.S.-based radar astronomers say Russia's accusation is not at all plausible. For one thing, said Martin Slade of NASA's Jet Propulsion Laboratory, "there is no asteroid-tracking radar in the Marshall Islands."

Space.com

Now, let me go ahead and guess your response. "Space.com is owned and operated as a propaganda source by the JEWSA Propaganda Machine."
edit on 17-1-2012 by isthisreallife because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 17 2012 @ 10:57 PM
link   
If they can prove this with an experiment then they can sue in the international court for compensation it would also set a precedence as it would prove a hostile act was carried out by American interests in space. This could later be used as evidence or excuse for any future action Russia may cause to the U.S.

Whether you believe it happened or not a scientific test will at least indicate the possibility. My post is not to argue whether it has happened or not as the test has not occurred. As a thought experiment the implications on the chessboard of countries presents many possible future moves many of which have put the Americans king in a sort of check.

I am neither pro American nor Pro Russian. I am pro Earthling so it is my hope that if there was dodginess afoot those responsible will be named and shamed and watch closely. The international community has time and again accused the current monopoly in space of holding back important information from the world a free-er market is whats needed not anti competitive behavior.

posted on Jan, 18 2012 @ 07:42 AM
link   

reply to post by Char-Lee

Thanks for the links.

Check this one out (picture of Phobos)

apod.nasa.gov...

I never noticed those lines before.
edit on 17-1-2012 by Corruption Exposed because: (no reason given)

Those look like Egyptian markings.

Or, Roman/Masonic

Hmmm.

posted on Jan, 18 2012 @ 07:47 AM
link   
reply to post by SolidGoal

I think its unlikely due to shielding. However sensitive antennas will be vulnerable to a megawatt pulse. Even if the pulse is of a different frequency than the one "expected".

The Goldstone main antenna, DSS14, is a fully steerable, 70-meter, parabolic reflector with horn feeds. Its 500-kilowatt transmitter is the world's most powerful at X-band (8560 MHz, 3.5-cm).

echo.jpl.nasa.gov...

posted on Jan, 18 2012 @ 08:27 AM
link   
reply to post by xuenchen

You make a good point about the markings.

I also thought they kind of looked like the Nazca lines in Peru except they lacked design.

posted on Jan, 18 2012 @ 08:45 AM
link   

reply to post by xuenchen

You make a good point about the markings.

I also thought they kind of looked like the Nazca lines in Peru except they lacked design.

Those too !

We need some experts to take a close look.

posted on Jan, 18 2012 @ 09:02 AM
link   
reply to post by DJW001

Yep, a half-megawatt, but there is report that the probe could have been hit by other radar stations (i.e. located in Alaska). Anyways, I was just giving my personal opinion based on my knowledge of electronics.

But after reading the space.com article posted by isthisreallife, It seems unlikely that the probe was damaged by a radar pulse, and have more to do with an engineering problem.

Cheers.

edit on 18-1-2012 by SolidGoal because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 18 2012 @ 09:13 AM
link   
I don't understand how a something designed to blast its way out of the atmosphere and withstand the rigors and emissions of space could be downed by a radio waves. How was the probe expected to survive the trip to mars if the rocket that carries it can't even make it past a radar? Radio waves are everywhere, even in space going away from Earth.

I'm not sure about the technicalities, but if you build a rocket susceptible to radio emissions on a planet completely saturated in them, you should expect to fail.

posted on Jan, 18 2012 @ 10:39 AM
link   

reply to post by DJW001

The Russians are accusing the Americans of affecting the launch via satellite interference. That qualifies as sabotage no?

Actually, no.

Satellite interference isn't necessarily voluntary. Those things are emitting waves of all sorts, 24/7... space time. judging by the article you posted, the Russians are trying to determine if regular transmissions from US satellites might be interfering with Phobos Grunt.

I dont see any charges of "sabotage". It would seem rather trivial for the US to be purposefully interfering with Russia's relatively harmless space program. Hell, they cant even keep tabs on the satellites they put into earths orbit.

Motives? I dont see them.

posted on Jan, 18 2012 @ 12:37 PM
link   
reply to post by DJW001

Narrowband HPM weapons megawatt can destroy most hardened electronics. Check Ranets-E.

US based its first narrowband HPM weapons on the basis of Sinus-6(a virtual cathode ray oscillator)

posted on Jan, 18 2012 @ 03:54 PM
link   
reply to post by Corruption Exposed

I agree. What I do know is that Russia usually remains quiet about these things. Or at least historically has. It seems like they are very certain and serious though and want to posture it as such. I would not put it past Russia to be up to no good and the US intervening as far as the space program goes. Seems my own government is even a bully in space.

posted on Jan, 18 2012 @ 04:23 PM
link   
I will not speculate on why the craft went down, but I do want to say 3 things.

1) Russia failed 19 times to reach mars so far

2) I wish it did reach mars, and further our understanding of our solar system. sigh...

3) wonder how much of that toxic fuel had an effect on out planet while it burnt or crashed into the ocean. sigh again...

posted on Feb, 1 2012 @ 12:00 PM
link   
Hey everyone,
New development concerning this subject.

The Register.

SlashGear.

Now the culprit is "cosmic rays".
Any thoughts, especially from our Russian friends ?

posted on Feb, 1 2012 @ 01:00 PM
link   
I think that "cosmic radiation" is a bogus excuse.
A radar blast frying a sensitive antenna ? Far-fetched but more plausible than just basic cosmic radiation. This was a space probe designed to go to mars FFS. It would be obviously be bathed in those cosmic rays.

From the Register article :

Those involved in the Phobos-Grunt project appear to be scrambling for some external reason why the mission may have failed, particularly since their president practically promised that heads will roll over the whole thing.

But scientists don't seem to think this latest excuse is any better than the US-megawatt-radar one. A source in the space industry told RIA Novosti a few hours after Popovkin's announcement of the findings that the idea that Phobos-Grunt hadn't had any protection from cosmic radiation was "ridiculous".

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6 >>

join