It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why is President Obama sending 12, 000 U.S. troops to Libya?

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 15 2012 @ 02:21 AM
link   
reply to post by Dimitri Dzengalshlevi

Libya is not stabilising and remaining Ghaddafi Forces are still fighting hard. Rebel forces are falling apart.A lot of local arab newspapers are saying.

Western corporate liesmongering media is not telling the facts.

posted on Jan, 15 2012 @ 02:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by mkgandhas

Libya is not stabilising and remaining Ghaddafi Forces are still fighting hard.

You might have missed the news from last year - there are no Ghaddafi forces because there is no Ghaddafi.

Hope that helps...

posted on Jan, 15 2012 @ 02:39 AM
link   
I love Cynthia McKiney - Cynthia McKiney had the balls to ask Donald Rumsfeld where the # is the 3.1 billion dollars from the pentagon.

edit on 15-1-2012 by andy1972 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 15 2012 @ 02:59 AM
link   
Libya is a perfect example of why we established a presence in Afghanistan.

We could have done much the same in Afghanistan, and gotten the exact same result we are getting in Libya. The rebels would have come through and started executing people for whatever reason - and it would simply be swapping one system of oppression for another.

"But Aim - blah-blah durka-dir; U.S. is a force of oppression."

- On the "oppression continuum," the U.S. form is a considerable step toward freedom from the existence they had, before. Not that I expect people making that argument to understand my rebuke.

If we wanted to institute a regime change in Libya, then we would require some form of policing force to guide the development of a new system and prevent a collapse of society like we are seeing.

Of course - the media doesn't want to come out and blatantly expose what is one of the greatest strategic blunders in recent history. Not when it was a multi-national 'peace' initiative and demonstrated the U.S. President's ability to appropriate U.S. forces to a U.N. initiative without the approval of Congress. And certainly not when it would give cause and reason to the ten years of military presence in two foreign nations.

No. It will be a cold day in hell before the reality of military action in Libya gets serious attention from the Western mainstream media. It -might- get pulled out of a hat during the election... but that will end up being akin to calling artillery on your own position in the midst of the enemy.

As for sending troops in... a mobilization like that is going to turn some heads. You need months of preparation; even active duty contingents would be hard-pressed to pull that off within the type of "surprise!" time-frame implied. We can move a lot of people and equipment really fast... but you have to plan to do it, first... and that plan must be approved, and the person approving it must be approved to approve.... and so on. Someone has to pay for it all... which means, for expenses like this, getting a Senator or Congressman to set-up ear-marks for bonds or blatant debt to cover for it....

The logistical planning is what takes the most time. Actually moving can be done really quick.

Which works out alright. Special forces and air operations always precede the landfall of the main force. We'd be hearing more chatter from the Spec. Ops communities about Libya if we were prepping for any kind of serious presence.

I've no doubt we have Special Forces and CIA operatives working to gather intel on the rebels - but they haven't had the time to properly embed into the structure (which is chaotic, to begin with). Before we commit any ground forces, we need more solid information on who is who in whoville.

Of course - that one is likely going to lead to a conflict with the Muslim Brotherhood. With as many countries as they are gaining influence in, the will likely start more overtly operating against our assets in the region. So, we are likely to simply run silent and deep regarding Libya, if we have any sense.

posted on Jan, 15 2012 @ 03:03 AM
link   
I am not putting much stock in this report. Cynthia McKinney was kind of a nut when she was a congresswoman. She said a lot of outrageous things and is known was for her hyperbolic rhetoric.

That is what I remember her for, and it is only my opinion. It seems the article cited in the OP is merely her opinion, and nothing to do with fact. She does not mention who her foreign sources are in the article. For what it is worth, I am against US ground forces being deployed to Libya. However, until I see more on this subject this revelation will sit on the back-burner.

posted on Jan, 15 2012 @ 03:13 AM
link   
reply to post by Aloysius the Gaul

check Algerian media.Fighting is still happening and is high levels.Ghaddafi is dead but the green movement has substantial support in the Western libyan populace.Benghazi and East is pro-rebel islamist zone.

posted on Jan, 15 2012 @ 03:19 AM
link   
There are still loyalty/loyalists of all green flag Jamahiriya government.

it was the cause of 2 deaths last Jan 13.

add that to Paranoia/distrust between rival rebel forces in the civil war.

Fragmented competing rebels, no final government stucture.
---
Rival Libyan militias clash, killing 2 fighters

Associated Press By RAMI AL-SHAHEIBI

www.msnbc.msn.com/id/45990688

(...)

Friday's violence pitted fighters from the town of Gharyan, 50 miles (80 kilometers) south of Tripoli, against a militia from al-Asabia, about 10 miles (16 kilometers) to the southwest.

Ahmed al-Sharif of the Gharyan militia said his fighters had gone to arrest people suspected of having ties to the former Gadhafi regime. Al-Asabia fighters refused to hand the suspects over, triggering a shootout that saw the two sides firing guns and rockets at each other.

Medic Mohammed Hussein of the Gharyan hospital said two fighters were killed and eight people wounded, at least one of them a civilian.

"He was at home and a missile landed on his house," Hussein said.

Medics and fighters from al-Asabia could not be reached by telephone.

(...)

posted on Jan, 15 2012 @ 03:19 AM
link   
reply to post by andy1972

Thanks very much for the video, she asked some serious questions which were not directly answered, I wonder if she received the answer to her questions in writing, if she did, can anyone direct me to the documents? I would truly appreciate it.

posted on Jan, 15 2012 @ 03:27 AM
link   
reply to post by Jakes51

By "outrageous" claims, do you mean claims which does not fit your perception of reality? For example the media calls Ron Paul dangerous, and his claims outrageous, mainly because it doesn't fit the perception of reality the media is trying to sell. Even thought Ron Paul speaks blunt truth about current reality in US and US foreign policy, it is called outrageous and dangerous.

posted on Jan, 15 2012 @ 03:27 AM
link   
reply to post by Jakes51

double post--
edit on 15-1-2012 by insaan because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 15 2012 @ 03:43 AM
link   
reply to post by andy1972

I love Cynthia McKiney - Cynthia McKiney had the balls to ask Donald Rumsfeld where the # is the 3.1 billion dollars from the pentagon.

That is simply stupidity compounded on top of a dramatic display intended to make her look like she has a spine.

Auditing can never be done fully on any practical accounting system. Executive discretion must be afforded - and with that comes decentralization of purchase authority and budget tracking. Tracking where, exactly, every penny went is impossible. You will always have outstanding amounts that just "went somewhere."

It's something that could be better explained by my room-mate with a Master's Degree in Accounting with a focus on Auditing.

For example - I've had the travel claim from hell to deal with over the past six months. The issue came from an extension while working with a squadron... which resulted in a set of back-to-back orders developed on-the-fly; but had to process through two incompatible travel systems (DTS and SATO). To further compound the issue, the BEQ was unable to house me and had me stay out on town; but failed to provide me with a proper Certificate of Non Availability (CNA) - that authorizes me to be reimbursed for the $1.2K hotel expenses.

The lady at the front desk of the BEQ on that base needs to find a fire and die in it. Seriously. I've -never- met a person in a service position I couldn't stand... but this lady is the one exception to that. There's a nice and decent one who works there... but I never get her on the phone. I get the run-around to the hotel manager... who has a black hole for a voice mail (Karma is a bitch... I've got a bad habit of letting voice-mails accumulate and go unanswered).

Six months later... and after being handed off and passed along through people who, apparently, didn't want to mess with fixing the problems... someone has finally decided to commit to helping me get this resolved. Had it been resolved correctly six months ago - the total claim may have only come out to about $2K. Now... God only knows, because there is interest and other stuff compounded on there.

The other odd thing is that those funds were appropriated in Q4 of FY2011... It's now Q2 FY2012 - and the amount I end up being owed by time it gets fixed may exceed what was withheld from the 2011 budget to pay for it. Which is going to have the E-7+s shifting funds around, possibly between commands.

It's a system I'm not entirely privy to - but there are a lot of little issues here and there that can cause money to be spent unnecessarily, and even more where money can simply not be spent and 'evaporate.'

Example: commands have a budget for the fiscal year. If they only use, say, 85% of their budget - the next fiscal year, they will have their budget cut by 15% and those funds will be shuffled over to another command that ended up begging for money (theoretically).

The real question is not: "Where did the money go?"

The real question is: "Who in the hell actually knows how it is supposed to be spent?"

But nothing pisses me off more than seeing uniforms ordered for people who have been separated from the military while the rest of us wait until the 30th of February to get the damned things. That's when you get into "tactical acquisition" of materials, resources, etc.

This is also why it is important for supply people to document everything with a serial number and verify the serial numbers of their inventory after every use; especially when around other units/departments/dets/etc.... non-functional devices have a mysterious habit of appearing in the place of functional ones.

And be sure to mark anything else that you don't want to disappear or otherwise fall victim to supply line entropy.

posted on Jan, 15 2012 @ 06:20 AM
link   
Cynthia is not a credible source. I looked her up, and for other reports. Nothing but bias lies on her part.

While I don't doubt we have troops on standby and troops in there doing things, there is no war yet.

posted on Jan, 15 2012 @ 06:22 AM
link   
reply to post by insaan

There's obvious bias...and it goes both ways. Cynthia has lied before, and every word she says is riddled with subjective terms designs to exaggerate and make you angry over something that isn't real.

Here's my perception of reality: give me a real source.

posted on Jan, 15 2012 @ 06:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by Dimitri Dzengalshlevi

Because his New World Order puppet masters told him to?
Seriously though... Cynthia McKinney is the source of this information?
I wouldn't believe anything that came out of her mouth. She's seriously screwed up - IMHO.
I'd be waiting on finding other info ... she doesn't have a reliable track record.

posted on Jan, 15 2012 @ 06:42 AM
link   
reply to post by yamother44

Factional fighting between the rebels and pro-Ghaddafi supporters & military has upped the anty and from what I'm hearing, the rebels are getting quite a beating in some pockets of Libya.

posted on Jan, 15 2012 @ 06:55 AM
link   
reply to post by yamother44

And what makes mainstream news headlines as a fact? i would trust Global research more in FACT during the libyan conflict they send one of there reporters onto the grounds and your saying you wouldn't trust them

posted on Jan, 15 2012 @ 07:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by SLAYER69

It's an opinion piece not fact. Either way. I said it before and I'll say it again. NO US boots on the ground in Libya. I'll wait until we get some corroborating facts to back up this "Story"

I'm not holding my breath.

Can you provide "corroborating facts" to the "no boots"? I'm not holding my breath

posted on Jan, 15 2012 @ 07:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by FlyersFan

Originally posted by Dimitri Dzengalshlevi

Because his New World Order puppet masters told him to?
Seriously though... Cynthia McKinney is the source of this information?
I wouldn't believe anything that came out of her mouth. She's seriously screwed up - IMHO.
I'd be waiting on finding other info ... she doesn't have a reliable track record.

From her wikipedia page:

On May 24, 2011, McKinney appeared on state-run television in Libya and stated that United States participation in military intervention in the 2011 Libyan civil war was "...not what the people of the United States stand for and it's not what African-Americans stand for".[90] Also on Memri-TV, Cynthia McKinney stated “On a previous visit to Libya, I was able to learn about the Green Book, and the form of direct democracy that is advocated in The Green Book. When I went back to the United States, I spoke with Senator Mike Gravel, who was a presidential candidate, just like me, in 2008, because he too is pushing a form of direct democracy for the United States. That is because the government of the United States fails to represent the interests of the American people now. The government is here, and the people of the US are here.” [91]

According to this, she has been to Libya and actually studied the government there. Seems like she is more credible than the talking heads that pass for "journalists" in the MSM.

posted on Jan, 15 2012 @ 07:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by Aloysius the Gaul

Originally posted by mkgandhas

Libya is not stabilising and remaining Ghaddafi Forces are still fighting hard.

You might have missed the news from last year - there are no Ghaddafi forces because there is no Ghaddafi.

Hope that helps...

It is not over and it is evolving now into a civil war.

The feud is rolling across western Libya, one of the conflict’s many reckonings that are posing an early challenge to the country’s new leaders. Race has made this fight especially toxic: Tawergans say Misurata has ignored betrayals by its other neighbors, singling out Tawerga because most of the residents are black. Graffiti on their emptied homes deepens their conviction: “Misurata’s slaves” appears on many walls. Fighters from Misurata say race had nothing to do with it. The Tawergans’ crimes were unforgivable, they said, and as far as they were concerned, the town had ceased to exist. On Thursday, a spokesman for the transitional government said Misurata had officially softened its stance and would allow residents of Tawerga without blood on their hands to return home.

The Tawergans are looking for safety elsewhere and finding little. Two weeks ago, 85 Tawergan men were rounded up in Tripoli by fighters from Misurata, and have not been heard from since, their relatives say. In recent days, the mayor of a southern oasis town told more than 1,000 Tawergans to leave by sunset, according to several people who said they had been forced out.

posted on Jan, 15 2012 @ 07:25 AM
link   
Sounds like it's turning into Iraq. Get rid of the beast and then all of the different militias and Islamic factions start fighting each other over who and how they're going to rule! The second posted article states as much.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join