It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

 

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

 

Bermuda triangle of space - South Atlantic Anomaly

page: 1
3

log in

join
share:

posted on Jan, 12 2012 @ 04:04 PM
link   
Found this quite interesting.

Known as the South Atlantic Anomaly it has been referred to as the Bermuda triangle of space.

I was watching a TV programme tonight and it mentioned that the hubble telescope had encountered spikes when crossing over this area of the earth in space. The programme referred to the spikes as potentially disastrous. The ISS has also encountered issues while crossing this path.

en.wikipedia.org...

Updated:

Our space craft generally fly below the proton belt, but over the SAA, the proximity to Earth puts our satellites, the ISS (International Space Station) and even the Space Shuttles in the path of the intense radiation generated by the trapped protons of the inner Van Allen Belt. As spacecraft pass over the South Atlantic Anomaly, instruments often malfunction or lock up entirely.

* ROSAT was an x-ray observatory that flew during the 1990s. Its position sensitive proportional counters had to be turned off as it passed through the SAA to prevent severe damage.

* In 1999, NASA launched the Terra Earth Observing System (TEOS) to study global climate change. As the system passed over the South Atlantic Anomaly, just one day after launch, an anomalously high current passed through its motor drive assembly, sending its antenna into "safe mode" and preventing it from communicating data to tracking and data relay system satellites.

* In 2001, NASA's MODIS satellite was rendered inoperative as it passed through the SAA. It took over two weeks to get the satellite back on line.

* The Hubble Space Telescope experiences gyroscope failures and errors in communications as it passes through the SAA1, 3.

* The SAA causes random upsets in the altimeter of the Topex satellite as it flies at an altitude of 1000 kilometers.

* Space Shuttle observations are interrupted by instrument disruptions when the Columbia passes through the SAA2.

* Astronauts report seeing random flashes of light—with their eyes closed. These flashes are believed to be caused by particles striking sensitive areas of the retina1.





edit on 12-1-2012 by eyespying because: Updated with more detail




posted on Jan, 12 2012 @ 04:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by eyespying

Found this quite interesting.

Known as the South Atlantic Anomaly it has been referred to as the Bermuda triangle of space.

I was watching a TV programme tonight and it mentioned that the hubble telescope had encountered spikes when crossing over this area of the earth in space. The programme referred to the spikes as potentially disastrous. The ISS has also encountered issues while crossing this path.

en.wikipedia.org...






I've always found the bermuda triangle facinating - your link is to wikipedia and just talks about the South Atlantic Anomaly is there a link to your story about the ISS encountering issue while crossing over it?
edit on 12-1-2012 by mileslong54 because: (no reason given)



posted on Jan, 12 2012 @ 04:17 PM
link   



posted on Jan, 12 2012 @ 04:19 PM
link   
reply to post by eyespying
 


I'm going to be flying over there in a few weeks, if you don't hear from me be worried.

There are some pretty interesting theories about that area.



posted on Jan, 12 2012 @ 04:20 PM
link   
reply to post by mileslong54
 



The South Atlantic Anomaly is of great significance to astronomical satellites and other spacecraft that orbit the Earth at several hundred kilometers altitude; these orbits take satellites through the anomaly periodically, exposing them to several minutes of strong radiation, caused by the trapped protons in the inner Van Allen belt. The International Space Station, orbiting with an inclination of 51.6°, requires extra shielding to deal with this problem. The Hubble Space Telescope does not take observations while passing through the SAA.[6] Astronauts are also affected by this region which is said to be the cause of peculiar 'shooting stars' (phosphenes) seen in the visual field of astronauts.[7] Passing through the South Atlantic Anomaly is thought[8] to be the reason for the early failures of the Globalstar network's satellites.


From the OP's wikipedia link.



posted on Jan, 12 2012 @ 04:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by Truth4Thought
reply to post by eyespying
 


I'm going to be flying over there in a few weeks, if you don't hear from me be worried.

There are some pretty interesting theories about that area.


What in space?


edit on 12-1-2012 by eyespying because: (no reason given)



posted on Jan, 12 2012 @ 04:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by NoNameBrand
reply to post by mileslong54
 



The South Atlantic Anomaly is of great significance to astronomical satellites and other spacecraft that orbit the Earth at several hundred kilometers altitude; these orbits take satellites through the anomaly periodically, exposing them to several minutes of strong radiation, caused by the trapped protons in the inner Van Allen belt. The International Space Station, orbiting with an inclination of 51.6°, requires extra shielding to deal with this problem. The Hubble Space Telescope does not take observations while passing through the SAA.[6] Astronauts are also affected by this region which is said to be the cause of peculiar 'shooting stars' (phosphenes) seen in the visual field of astronauts.[7] Passing through the South Atlantic Anomaly is thought[8] to be the reason for the early failures of the Globalstar network's satellites.


From the OP's wikipedia link.


Yes thank you, I can click links and read Wikipedia I was inquiring to see if there was a specific of recent story about the SAA and the OP has made that info availible.
edit on 12-1-2012 by mileslong54 because: (no reason given)



posted on Jan, 12 2012 @ 04:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by eyespying
reply to post by mileslong54
 


More info.

www.paranormal-encyclopedia.com...


Ok thanks, just though maybe you had a recent story of interest about the SAA or something other than a few paragraphs out of an encyclopedia
edit on 12-1-2012 by mileslong54 because: (no reason given)



posted on Jan, 12 2012 @ 04:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by mileslong54

Originally posted by eyespying
reply to post by mileslong54
 


More info.

www.paranormal-encyclopedia.com...


Ok thanks, just though maybe you had a recent story of interest about the SAA or something other than a few paragraphs out of an encyclopedia
edit on 12-1-2012 by mileslong54 because: (no reason given)


No, but let us know if you find anything



posted on Jan, 12 2012 @ 04:57 PM
link   
reply to post by mileslong54
 



www.abovetopsecret.com...

there are some interesting statements and possibilities linked to the saa.
regards fakedirt.



posted on Jan, 12 2012 @ 05:01 PM
link   
The area they call the south atlantic anomaly has only been recently explained. It is because thweres a huge concentration of anti particles trapped there by the earths magnetic field



posted on Jan, 12 2012 @ 05:07 PM
link   
reply to post by eyespying
 



Our space craft generally fly below the proton belt,


the " photon belt " is a fantasy



posted on Jan, 12 2012 @ 05:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by fakedirt
reply to post by mileslong54
 



www.abovetopsecret.com...

there are some interesting statements and possibilities linked to the saa.
regards fakedirt.


OK thanks. Interesting theories.



posted on Jan, 12 2012 @ 05:21 PM
link   
I must say it is great to see the proclaimed experts give their 2 cents worth.

I have my own theories at to why those anomalies are there.


edit on 12-1-2012 by eyespying because: (no reason given)



new topics

top topics



 
3

log in

join