It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Unemployed lady seeks legal advice over human rights issue.

page: 10
<< 7  8  9    11  12  13 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 12 2012 @ 09:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by ANOK

Originally posted by schuyler
Geez. I had a Masters degree and wound up working the minimum wage for a year until I got my act together. I didn't whine about it and I certainly didn't think my civil rights were being violated just because I was too stupid to get myself educated in a field that offered jobs that paid well, or jobs in my field at all. I don't blame the government at all for cutting this loon off. Cry baby.

But she was moved from one unpaid job that was related to her degree, to another unpaid job. What was the point other than they needed cheap labour?

It's a racket. It helped no one but those who got the free labour.

I think people are missing the big picture, this is about the freedom to choose. How so easily you would all give that away. You are letting the economy enslave and exploit you, which capitalism does.

Your free to choose whatever major you want WITHOUT consideration that it will actually result in you paying your own way? If you choose "Geology," there is no guarantee that anyone will hire you as a Geologist, particularly with only a BA. Yet this gal wants perpetual unemployment benefits?

If you choose a a stupid major, why is that a civil rights issue? It only shows how stupid you were in choosing a major. I guarantee if she had chosen pharmacy or engineering she'd have a job. We DON'T NEED any more English majors. Why is that the government's responsibility? Work at McDonald's. That's the price of being stupid.

posted on Jan, 12 2012 @ 09:47 PM
link   

posted on Jan, 12 2012 @ 10:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by schuyler
Your free to choose whatever major you want WITHOUT consideration that it will actually result in you paying your own way? If you choose "Geology," there is no guarantee that anyone will hire you as a Geologist, particularly with only a BA. Yet this gal wants perpetual unemployment benefits?

Well we are either free to pursue our desires, or we're not. We either have free-choice, or we are coerced into making a choice due to outside forces. There are consequences to both. It is obvious in our economic system that there really is no freedom unless you own 'property', and can live from the exploitation of other peoples labour, leaving you free from the bonds of coercive choices the rest of us have to deal with.

The lack of employment is an artificial creation of capitalism. The bad economy is an artificial creation of capitalism. The machinery to produce has not gone anywhere but into mothballs, labour is in abundance sitting on the dole-que. Put them together, produce what we need, not just for the greed of capitalist 'owners'.

If you choose a a stupid major, why is that a civil rights issue? It only shows how stupid you were in choosing a major. I guarantee if she had chosen pharmacy or engineering she'd have a job. We DON'T NEED any more English majors. Why is that the government's responsibility? Work at McDonald's. That's the price of being stupid.

Shouldn't someone be allowed to pursue their interests, or does everything we do have to be a result of the capitalist economy? That is not freedom. Instead of accepting a system that coerces people to pursue work they don't really want to do, simply because there is nothing else, why not change the system so we can be truly free? The capitalists would have us all work in sweatshops, regardless of our desires, if they could get their way.

edit on 1/12/2012 by ANOK because: typo comrade

posted on Jan, 12 2012 @ 10:20 PM
link   
I have held several menial jobs straight out of school and now I work for a top tier Corp in a position which meets my skills. Think of these menials as stepping stones to the job you want. They build character.

posted on Jan, 12 2012 @ 11:37 PM
link   
I also had to do this, its called mandatory work activity. I had to work 30 hours per week for a month unpaid in a warehouse lifting heavy goods non stop all day. Do not get me wrong I'm not scared of hard work, but I agreed to do it as I was told I would get a report to show future employers and potentially get a job at the placement.

Now what happened was, I got no report, and I got no offer of a job, and I worked my arse off. All this whilst the paid employees sat around all day while me and a few others from the agency did all the graft.

I havnt read what people have said about it yet on here as its late. But believe me, I find it hard to understand how they can get you a work placement working for FREE but cant offer a paid position. I think it stinks

posted on Jan, 13 2012 @ 12:25 AM
link   
Unbelivevable how many people here still do not get it, she DID take the job, she was kicked out from the museum position and moved to a different position that has nothing to do with her studying, which SHE paid for.

Are we all really willing to kneel that easily? and take it? Shes not asking for more money, its who the heck in this world decided whats better for her, when she had already a beneficial position?

There is people that need these jobs, and yes alot of people will be willing to work at a store, so why not give those people that job? and let her keep hers.
And a reminder, SHE DID NOT REFUSE THE JOB!
but your sacred tax money still paid for it, no matter what she would have been doing, the only people that maid the profit are the people selling "MADE IN CHINA" products. There was no reason for a replacement, just pure bloody profits!

Taxes taxes taxes, trust me, your money is not gonna disapear! its not like they take it out in space, it all goes back to the people that made it, and then back to you, its not some vital heart pumping ingredient to stay alive, and it is most importantly no reason to use it as a means to POLICE a persons free will of choice!!

posted on Jan, 13 2012 @ 01:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by ANOK
Shouldn't someone be allowed to pursue their interests,

No one is stopping her doing that, why do you think they are?

or does everything we do have to be a result of the capitalist economy?

Instead of accepting a system that coerces people to pursue work they don't really want to do

the system is not doing that at all, she does not have to do the work...

posted on Jan, 13 2012 @ 01:37 AM
link   
reply to post by Flavian

She was working (UNPAID) for a museum & the Gov' made her work (UNPAID) at Poundland. That is it, the whole story. You still feeling sick? The british Gov' making Graduates work (UNPAID) for private industry, is that the future you want, Really?

posted on Jan, 13 2012 @ 03:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by mandroids
Let me make 2 valid points.

1, this work will not enhance her chances of finding the work she studied for. In fact, it’s an insult to a graduate.

2, would YOU enjoy being forced into work you knew would make you feel unhappy?

Isn’t that what ATS is all about…rights? Please refrain from tabloid ‘she gotta work’ posts.

Its impossible to avoid the "She's gotta work" posts as that's the law of the land..

Here in the UK the unemployment is severe BUT there are jobs that people refuse to take, now I'm sorry if you feel that a graduate is too elite to take a poor old normal job but hell, that's just tough.

1. Please ignore the snobbery of the situation, an employer will look at the times and situations and actually say "you kept yourself busy" as opposed to branding her a failed graduate. As long as she shows she's made efforts to get jobs in her field no employer worth their pinch of salt would demean her for earning a living. In truth an employer is more likely to look upon this person now as more trouble than they are worth for starting this public nonsense.

This is elitist snobbery by the girl, I know many people including my own brother who to get themselves through Uni did jobs like sweeping the streets, he wasn't alone there, this was good honest money.

2. No I would not enjoy being pushed into a job I didn't want BUT that's the law of the land, you are not entitled to sit doing NOTHING while being able bodied, sorry but we already have enough young lay-abouts in the UK to fill a large pit, these are teens etc who simply want life to pay them a wage to sit around drinking, smoking, robbing and generally doing NOTHING for their keep, now this girl may be more educated but effectively she wants to just do work she likes, there's no real difference.

I'm sorry if the poor soul does not like the idea of working at Poundland, I'm sorry if she feels its "beneath her" and I'm sorry there's no work (according to her) that's suitable for her standing in the community (unemployed dole collector) but that's life.

I'm sure she will hate having to mix with the socially inept and unwashed of the working classes but hey ho, that's just hard luck.

Like it or not, this isn't about a graduate being displaced by society and wasting her years of learning, this is a class issue, by the sound of it she's not out of pocket as she's willing to do unpaid work, this is all about working at a 'chav' store, a store where people of her mentality despise the people who would work their.

So please, get real..The UK has massive unemployment, the tax payer is footing a huge bill form people like her and the teens I mentioned earlier let alone the financial immigrants, when you sign up for Job Seekers then you take the jobs offered to you or don't claim it, the only way you can avoid this is if the job being offered would leave you worse off than the money being paid to you under the Job Seekers Scheme.

As she herself says "to do something of no value to me", its her choice...

Personally I think she's a spoilt little snob with a spoilt little name "Cait" and a stinking attitude...

Or do we let everyone just sit around waiting for their ideal job to come around.......Sigh...

posted on Jan, 13 2012 @ 03:20 AM
link   
reply to post by bismarket

Yup, still feel sick by her actions.

Thanks for asking though......

posted on Jan, 13 2012 @ 03:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by bismarket
reply to post by Flavian

She was working (UNPAID) for a museum & the Gov' made her work (UNPAID) at Poundland.

She was being paid at least £64.30 each week so she wasn't working for free.

I'm pretty sure that after claiming Job Seekers Allowance for six months your chosen career path has to diversify to reflect what jobs types are available. That's how it goes for everyone. The temporary work she did at Poundland would have enhanced her CV - "Check Out Technician" might impress a future employer. The worst thing you can have on a CV is prolonged unemployment.

posted on Jan, 13 2012 @ 03:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by MaximinusThrax
this is a subject i find most entertaining , governments complain about unemployment but id say at least 50% of people in the uk wont relocate or work down in jobs just to survive.

the whole system pays more to lazy people , students and junkies than what regular people (me) can earn. i work 40+ hours a week my wife does too plus we have kids and 'friends' of ours one works part time and his 'other half' doesnt work at all and they (with their kid) get 15000 more per year with top ups from the government than us working full time.

shocking

society is lazy and this sums it up

get working Cait Reilly you sponge!!!!!!

edit on 12-1-2012 by MaximinusThrax because: spelling

Amen brother. The lazy people here in the UK, get free housing, housing tax benefit, income benefit, FREE PESCRIPTIONS FROM THE DOCTORS/HOSPITAL, FREE EYE TESTS, tons of discounts at different places just for being on the sponge!!!! And those that work (ME!) have to fund these lazy no goods whilst they swan around with their cans of beer, free homes and the "I am entitled to" attitude.

The girl in the article needs to GET A GRIP, and probably needs a slap round her lazy, snobby face.

posted on Jan, 13 2012 @ 03:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by Flavian
reply to post by bismarket

Yup, still feel sick by her actions.

Thanks for asking though......

It's not really the girls actions that of concern to me , they are a side issue. Now if you consider yourself on the right or on the left what is going on is wrong. If you consider yourself on the right and a capitalist, then you should be against governments subsidising private companies with cheap labour.

As benefit claimants receive tax payers money, their labour should not be used for private advantage. I agree we need to make people do some work, but it should be for the benefit of civic and national life rather than as cheap labour. There are loads of things people could be made to do. Work that benefits the whole community not just increases the profits of selected business's. If people can not see this then, there's not much hope.

posted on Jan, 13 2012 @ 03:45 AM
link   
reply to post by kidohno

You never know in the current economic climate, how secure your job is. More and more people are loosing their jobs and there are less and less job opportunities available. YOU could be next. Lets hope that never happens , but if it does I hope people don't accuse you of being a lazy scrounger.

posted on Jan, 13 2012 @ 03:45 AM
link   
reply to post by xDeadcowx

Since when did retail only pay minimum wage? iwas forced to work at a kroger and made $10.00 when hired. because i worked it when i was in high school.the whole wide world has been lowering there job pay for the last 20 years, where does this spoiled brat think she is? Venus

edit on 13-1-2012 by ibegood2 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 13 2012 @ 03:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by XaniMatriX
Unbelivevable how many people here still do not get it, she DID take the job, she was kicked out from the museum position and moved to a different position that has nothing to do with her studying, which SHE paid for.

Are we all really willing to kneel that easily? and take it? Shes not asking for more money, its who the heck in this world decided whats better for her, when she had already a beneficial position?

There is people that need these jobs, and yes alot of people will be willing to work at a store, so why not give those people that job? and let her keep hers.
And a reminder, SHE DID NOT REFUSE THE JOB!
but your sacred tax money still paid for it, no matter what she would have been doing, the only people that maid the profit are the people selling "MADE IN CHINA" products. There was no reason for a replacement, just pure bloody profits!

Taxes taxes taxes, trust me, your money is not gonna disapear! its not like they take it out in space, it all goes back to the people that made it, and then back to you, its not some vital heart pumping ingredient to stay alive, and it is most importantly no reason to use it as a means to POLICE a persons free will of choice!!

She did not pay for her uni studying. STUDENT LOAN from the GOVERNMENT springs to mind. No one over here pays for S**T and then moans when they're asked to find a job.. PoundLand or City Trader. DOESN'T MATTER.

posted on Jan, 13 2012 @ 03:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by woodwardjnr
reply to post by kidohno

You never know in the current economic climate, how secure your job is. More and more people are loosing their jobs and there are less and less job opportunities available. YOU could be next. Lets hope that never happens , but if it does I hope people don't accuse you of being a lazy scrounger.

Myth. There are plenty of jobs available, if I lost my job now (I won't) I could easily walk into at least 10 other jobs, some in the same field, some in a different field. These jobs might be higher paid or lower paid than my existing one, but I can sure tell you now... I have never, and will never, claim benefit from the government or anyone else.

That's the problem with our society as a whole today. Not just the UK, but world wide.

STEP UP, AND TAKE RESPONSIBILITY. THE WORLD DOES NOT OWE YOU A LIVING.

EDIT: Just to add. There is high unemployment because people are f*****g lazy and as per the example in the Daily Mail with this moron "Cait" - people are letting their ego determine where they work.
edit on 13-1-2012 by kidohno because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 13 2012 @ 03:54 AM
link   
reply to post by kidohno

Yeah tell that to Poundland and any other private company expecting subsidised labour.

posted on Jan, 13 2012 @ 03:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by woodwardjnr
reply to post by kidohno

Yeah tell that to Poundland and any other private company expecting subsidised labour.

"LABOUR". Jesus christ. It's people like you who contribute to the failings in society. How is sweeping the floor and stacking cans at poundland labour? Do some rearch on Asian sweatshops or the slums in India... that's labour. I can't believe you are defending some stupid little girl who's been funded through University and got a degree (not hard these days, any idiot can get a degree) and now whilst scabbing from the UK taxpayer is refusing to do anything in the process unless it's in her field. LABOUR!?!?!? You're having a laugh. Doesn't matter if it benefits the private sector or not (would be better if she perhaps cleaned the streets or something, but again she'd probably cry about that) - she is LAZY and the process is LAZY and the system is LAZY AND VOID.

posted on Jan, 13 2012 @ 04:09 AM
link   
reply to post by kidohno

I'm not actually defending the girl, as I posted in a previous point, the girl is actually a side issue. The problem for me, is that people who are receiving tax payer money, should not be put to work for a private company that could actually afford to pay a minimum wage. Why should the tax payer help poundland increase it's private profits. Surely if people are receiving tax payer money any work we expect them to do should be for the benefit of society and those who paid tax to pay the benefit. I'm actually surprised you cant appreciate this.

On a side note it also gives poundland an unfair advantage over it's competitors which goes against a free market economy.

But, yeah, blame me for for the downfall of society.

top topics

<< 7  8  9    11  12  13 >>

join