It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Unemployed lady seeks legal advice over human rights issue.

page: 7
<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 12 2012 @ 10:33 AM
link   
reply to post by blamethegreys

about her working overseas... i thought about that. she's 22 and has spent the last 3-4 years at uni, what are the chances of her having a serious reason not to get a job abroad.
apart from missing family or maybe leaving a boyfriend behind what other reason does she have not to at least look abroad... frick sake i have a mortgage to pay and im looking into moving abroad for my next job (im well aware its not as simple as packing and moving).

posted on Jan, 12 2012 @ 10:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by davespanners

I'm not sure when exactly the government started supplying unpaid labour to private companies.
edit on 12-1-2012 by davespanners because: (no reason given)

edit on 12-1-2012 by davespanners because: (no reason given)

I work at Dunelm Mill and we also indulge in slave labour, Apparently, my employer is doing the "volunteers" a favour by allowing them to bust there ass for 8hrs a day without paying a single penny. Apparently this helps people find jobs.. Also helps my company make money off the backs of the hard up.

Its shameful, but perfectly acceptable in today's society because employers are ENTITLED to take the piss.

posted on Jan, 12 2012 @ 10:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by Domo1
reply to post by davespanners

She was told that she would then get an interview for an actual paid position there which never happened.

Good point. I actually read the article but missed that part. At the same time the govt. is effectively her employer until she gets a 'real' job, so they should be able to make her work wherever they want.
edit on 12-1-2012 by Domo1 because: (no reason given)

And Considering that you seem to love government so much, when they tell you that you can no longer access ATS because of its content, dont cry like a baby. Big brother knows whats best for you.

posted on Jan, 12 2012 @ 11:01 AM
link   
reply to post by just1cornell0

If people want her to bust her arse working for pennies, how in hell do people expect her to pay travel expenses to another country when she can barely afford the bus fare to the other side of town?

Welcome to Britain, form an orderly queue to the Workhouse.
Gruel is slopped at 12pm sharp.

edit on 12-1-2012 by Suspiria because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 12 2012 @ 11:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by ldyserenity

Then so should the welfare kings and ghetto mamas too, they should, in fact be targetted first as not a dang one of em has ever worked/even looked for work...so how is this fair again??? Make the girl on welfare with 6 children work at that place, she's gonna fit right in, the graduates should be last on their list!

edit on 12-1-2012 by ldyserenity because: left out letters

When did it become okay to spit on the "underclass" Instead of trying to solve the problem of what cause's people to grow up and perpetuate the cycle of deprivation? The middle classes are ignorant to the struggles faced by people worse off then them. Instead of sending that mother to work a # minimum wage job while her kids run riot on the estate, why dont we try and break the damn cycle instead??

You would never make a stereotypical remark about black people so why is it okay to make a stereotypical remark about people on benefits? you refer to them as "They" what? Are they second-class citizens in this country? Think people should do a little reading up on what Thatcher did to the working class and how we are still feeling the effects of it in today's society

edit on 12-1-2012 by SearchLightsInc because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 12 2012 @ 11:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by Suspiria
reply to post by FFS4000

In this day and age where the average weekly electric and gas bill is £30, I don't know anyone who "enjoys" £53 a week.
Some people live in lala land.

I hate how there is a huge misconception that people on benefits live lives of total luxury all the while the people at the top (MP's, Banksters and the like) are ripping the system off in its billions and yet everyone just prefer's to attack the minority in society.
Yes they claim benefits, but tell me, what exactly does the minimum wage get you these days? People cant even afford to move out!

posted on Jan, 12 2012 @ 11:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by Flavian
I disagree entirely. She has been claiming for a year but is refusing to take a job. Why the hell should the rest of society have to pay for her refusing work?

I totally agree. If people who cannot find work are only prepared to take a job "worthy of them", then that's a problem which will perpetuate people never getting of their bums. It’s the excuse of excuses, because some people will never get a job “worthy of them”.

I am totally supportive of a Welfare State, but with strings attached. The open-ended welfare state has resulted in the creation of social problems and whole generations who would rather be welfare dependent than in work and contributing to society.

In some situations, beggars should not be choosers.

Regards

posted on Jan, 12 2012 @ 11:39 AM
link   
reply to post by Suspiria

that video was just like how it actually is in these places... except there were less chairs in real life and you were packed in like sardines!

anyone want to know what these courses are like look at that video!

posted on Jan, 12 2012 @ 11:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by paraphi

Originally posted by Flavian
I disagree entirely. She has been claiming for a year but is refusing to take a job. Why the hell should the rest of society have to pay for her refusing work?

I totally agree. If people who cannot find work are only prepared to take a job "worthy of them", then that's a problem which will perpetuate people never getting of their bums. It’s the excuse of excuses, because some people will never get a job “worthy of them”.

I am totally supportive of a Welfare State, but with strings attached. The open-ended welfare state has resulted in the creation of social problems and whole generations who would rather be welfare dependent than in work and contributing to society.

In some situations, beggars should not be choosers.

Regards

Wrong end of the stick. Try reading it all again.

posted on Jan, 12 2012 @ 11:45 AM
link   
Don't you have to work, for a while first to get unemployment. Then it is fair to say that it is fair for her to want to keep looking for a job in her field. Aren't there tons of low wage uneducated people out there wearing out their welcome with unemployment. What is the big deal? This educated young woman, who is still trying to hold onto her dreams, while also giving up her free time making other contributions to her same field is holding out. Low wage jobs demand a lot, and probably pay little more than min wage. Let her use up her benefits until they are gone. Sometime before they run out she will realize that the place she lives has nothing to offer and she will take a job somewhere else, or start looking in a better direction.

posted on Jan, 12 2012 @ 12:14 PM
link   
reply to post by Quauhtli

you have to work before you can be unemployed ?!

Really, you came here to drop that nugget of pointless on the world?

you dont need to have EVER worked to be unemployed ... the word itself litrely just means not in work, not that they have had a job and now dont!

She was in university, going by her age she left school at *18 , done a 4 year geological degree and has been out of work scince leaving college .... hence she is unemployed! ... even more than that, she is unemployed and never actualy paid anything into the system but thinks she is above the world and that she can just sit on her arse and wait for her dream job to come ... the jobcentre dont mess about and wont stand for that crap!

fact is, she needs to move as and get a job instead of moaning about money that she gets for nothing thanks to agreeing with many signatures and forms provided by the government. ... she should look at herself and try getting a job instead of moaning about jsa screwing her over!

*the ages and timeframe i guess could be off, she could have left school at 16, went to uni for the 4 years and been on JSA for 2 years !
edit on 12-1-2012 by boaby_phet because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 12 2012 @ 12:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by boaby_phet
reply to post by Quauhtli

you have to work before you can be unemployed ?!

Really, you came here to drop that nugget of pointless on the world?

you dont need to have EVER worked to be unemployed ... the word itself litrely just means not in work, not that they have had a job and now dont!

She was in university, going by her age she left school at *18 , done a 4 year geological degree and has been out of work scince leaving college .... hence she is unemployed! ... even more than that, she is unemployed and never actualy paid anything into the system but thinks she is above the world and that she can just sit on her arse and wait for her dream job to come ... the jobcentre dont mess about and wont stand for that crap!

fact is, she needs to move as and get a job instead of moaning about money that she gets for nothing thanks to agreeing with many signatures and forms provided by the government. ... she should look at herself and try getting a job instead of moaning about jsa screwing her over!

*the ages and timeframe i guess could be off, she could have left school at 16, went to uni for the 4 years and been on JSA for 2 years !

Hmm, Work at poundland for nothing or work in a museum for nothing while gaining experience in a field you paid to study for 4 years?
Hmmm, Its a no brainier for me.

Oh, and "the dole off dont mess around"
In my experience, they are the BEST at messing you around. I had the pleasure of being told that my money troubles until i got my first wage at my NEW JOB was "Not there problem" - Indeed, i was EXPECTED to sponge off my family until i received my first pay check!
And what i always found hilarious is that the security doorman in the dole office wasn't even from the UK! Hahaha!
"Immigration doesnt have an effect on unemployment" HA!

posted on Jan, 12 2012 @ 12:25 PM
link   
What did she think was going to happen with a degree in Geology?
Maybe she was hoping to get a fracking job, but that's sorta like getting an undergrad degree in history and expecting to become a university professor.
I'm all for people following their passions, but we have to live in the real world.

posted on Jan, 12 2012 @ 12:35 PM
link   
I notice the same old ignorant posts..."shes stealing our tax money, she should take any job....people like her are ruining our country" blah blah blah

If big business paid their fair share, and our government werent in their pockets there would be plenty of money to go around!

She is being exploited....slave labor. It isnt voluntary work....its working in a multi million pound company...for NOTHING.
Whats their incentive to keep her on after the 2 weeks?? There is none! No doubt some dodgy politicians have shares in Poundland!

posted on Jan, 12 2012 @ 12:44 PM
link   
This girl can feel upset all she wants, this is her right and no one can say other wise...BUT....her human rights has not been broken in anyway.

If she is not happy about this situation then maybe she should find a job that actually pays even on a temperory basis until she can find the job she wants. This is not being harsh in anyway, this is just being realistic, i suffered in crap jobs before but i'm now in one that i'm really happy in, it may have taken a while but i got there eventually.

It's wrong to think that society owes you something when you have never contributed anything towards it, earning a degree in not a meal ticket, simple as that.

If she doesn't like the situation she's in then she will not get much sympathy as many, many other people are worst of and don't complain, they work hard and earn their lot in life.

posted on Jan, 12 2012 @ 01:04 PM
link   
reply to post by loves a conspiricy

yes, this is why people are suppost to get a job and get off JSA!

this is not complicated, the (poiintless) voulentary work , the (pointless) training courses , the visiting and being grilled every 2 weeks, the absolute crap amount of money ... ITS CALLED AN INCENTIVE TO GET A JOB! (with the voulentary work a punishment ... but at its heart an incentive).

we may all pay our tax, but really they dont need to help us ... in the uk we are blessed with a system that helps us ... it is not like this everywhere,

If you are signing on and you get to the voulentary work / training course / new deal stage ... then you have been on benefits too long and have to bite the bullet and take a crap job ... millions of us have had to in the past and she is no difference.

she has hands and capibility to work , FOR FREE in a mueseum (noones complaining about that funny enough???) , so why the hell didnt she just get a part time paid job and still voulenteer!

Its not impossible , or difficult!

posted on Jan, 12 2012 @ 01:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by Traydor
This girl can feel upset all she wants, this is her right and no one can say other wise...BUT....her human rights has not been broken in anyway

I think the law may disagree with you...

Article 4 of the European Convention on Human Rights prohibits slavery and forced labour. Conscription, national service, prison labour, service exacted in cases of emergency or calamity, and "normal civic obligations" are excepted from these definitions.
“ Article 4 – Prohibition of slavery and forced labour

1. No one shall be held in slavery or servitude. 2. No one shall be required to perform forced or compulsory labour.

en.wikipedia.org...
edit on 12/1/12 by blupblup because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 12 2012 @ 01:16 PM
link   
reply to post by blupblup

its not forced though, when people claim JSA they have to sign many forms, including one every 2 weeks to say you still agree! trust me, i have done this many times but thankfully not scince september 2010.

The jobcenter does not force people to sign the agreement and claim JSA ... nor do they even tell people to claim JSA, people have to claim it on their own accord ...

now, im now lawyer, but if someone signs an agreement completly off their own back, and in that agreement is says "if you are still claiming jsa after 6 months you may have to do unpaid work" ... then you cant say boo, you have agreed to do it VOLUNTARY... and theirfore the unpaid work is not forces, it is completly VOLUNTARY.

noone HAS to claim JSA, noone is forced to claim JSA... they do by volunteering to claim JSA!

sorry to burst that "the government if forcing people to be slaves" myth (well, in this case only) ... they make it very clear when signing on!

posted on Jan, 12 2012 @ 01:24 PM
link   
So she is volunteering which the job center basically forces you to do after awhile under the name of "work experience" but she decided that instead of being free labour for a scummy business she would volunteer somewhere else, sounds good to me.

She has now returned to her voluntary role at the city’s Pen Room Museum of writing and pen trade memorabilia, still looking for paid employment.

posted on Jan, 12 2012 @ 01:26 PM
link   
She could have started there and made a complete mess of the job and been told by them she was no longer required without getting sacked. The the Dss couldn't have touched her but to refuse to go is a big no no with them. They are like little hitlers and the law belongs to them according to the Dss !

new topics

top topics

<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join