It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Unemployed lady seeks legal advice over human rights issue.

page: 16
<< 13  14  15   >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 27 2012 @ 12:35 AM
link   
She is perfectly entitled to refuse to work at any specific place.. It is utterly wrong to force her to accept this.

For this, she deserves no disrespect, BUT SHE SHOULD NOT CLAIM BENEFIT.

I have often refused potentially jobs when inbetween positions, but I HAVE NOT CLAIMED BENEFIT SINCE 1984. One can always do part time jobs, run a business oneself or even pick up cans as a last resort,

posted on Jan, 27 2012 @ 01:32 AM
link   
reply to post by ballisticmousse

I say she should claim benefit since they are not following their own TOS and placing her within a volunteer position within her major. She already has that at the museum she's working for free in. They should just let her continue at the museum and call it a day, but this is about Poundland getting a fresh crop of expendable cheap slave hands.

I hope she gets it all without coming up dead.

posted on Jan, 27 2012 @ 08:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by ArchPlayer
I say she should claim benefit since they are not following their own TOS and placing her within a volunteer position within her major. She already has that at the museum she's working for free in.

No she doesn't! Where on earth are people getting that from because I've not seen it noted in any reports. Her degree is in geology, the museum is a museum of pens and penmanship or suchlike - the exact title is noted passim.

I think she indicated that she might like to work for a museum in the future, but that is it - or should anyone who decides they might like to be an astronaut but with no relevant qualifications or experience be allowed to turn down jobs that aren't with a space agency?

posted on Jan, 27 2012 @ 09:14 AM
link   

reply to post by mandroids

None mandroids. It's like the MSM international is sweeping this one under the rug. I wouldn't be surprised if she takes it all the way to Parliament and wins, and then comes floating in the Thames in a "suicide".

Reminds me of a quote I heard from a SA friend. "During aparthied, our lawyers would defend the people and win, proving how unjust the system was. And as soon as they won, they would change the law."

This seems to be the case everywhere nowadays.

Very scary.

posted on Jan, 31 2012 @ 07:40 PM
link   
reply to post by EvillerBob

The Pen Museum still can utilize her geology background as far as different types of quill tips, and different natural materials used in the construction of calligraphy pens.

Its heaps better than her working FOR FREE at Poundland for a meager two weeks that won't benefit her at all.

posted on Feb, 1 2012 @ 05:51 AM
link   
Playing devils advocate here:

Maybe the DWP assessors who deternined where she worked, made the assessment that despite her being a university graduate, that she wasn't actually hugely competent in her chosen field, and therefore allocated her to a position where her attitude and true intellectual capability were more compatible.

End of devils advocate:

Seriously though, the entire scheme needs a judicial review. At the very least the companies benefitting from this labour should be made to pay for it, at a rate equal to at least minimum wage, if only to discourage them from sacking their own staff in preference to free labour.

posted on Feb, 1 2012 @ 11:00 AM
link   

I say she should claim benefit since they are not following their own TOS and placing her within a volunteer position within her major. She already has that at the museum she's working for free in. They should just let her continue at the museum and call it a day, but this is about Poundland getting a fresh crop of expendable cheap slave hands.

It is not the Government's obligation to provide a place of employment applicable to an individual choice someone has made for their (optional) education.

I hardly think that the claimant studied her Geology degree to then become an expert on nibs.

You cannot just allow anyone to put in their time anywhere - there needs to be some kind of regulation - to ensure they are working (i.e. not skiving, finishing early / turning up late, chatting to friends all day).

The Government, TPTB, the MSM - they will not kill or attempt to kill or suicide someone for this. Stop being silly. This is hardly up there with false or doctored claims leading to international wars, or hushing up alien contact.

posted on Feb, 1 2012 @ 11:03 AM
link   
reply to post by EvillerBob

Nail on the head mate.

I'm astounded at the incredible lack of critical thinking on this thread - quite preposterous claims backed up by nonsensical logic.

Presumably, using the arguments here, the much lauded Film Studies graduates who are often unemployed may expect the Gov to pay for them to work in the local video shop?

posted on Feb, 1 2012 @ 11:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by ComeFindMe

It is not the Government's obligation to provide a place of employment applicable to an individual choice someone has made for their (optional) education.

I hardly think that the claimant studied her Geology degree to then become an expert on nibs.

You cannot just allow anyone to put in their time anywhere - there needs to be some kind of regulation - to ensure they are working (i.e. not skiving, finishing early / turning up late, chatting to friends all day).

The Government, TPTB, the MSM - they will not kill or attempt to kill or suicide someone for this. Stop being silly. This is hardly up there with false or doctored claims leading to international wars, or hushing up alien contact.

In fact, you are completely wrong. The work programme details I read stated that it is advice ‘tailored to support your needs’. Therefore, the woman in question gains nothing helpful working in a thrift shop. the KEY word is tailored.

posted on Feb, 2 2012 @ 05:48 AM
link   
reply to post by mandroids

In fact, i'm not. Unless you want to be a complete pedant and extract every point of your argument to its fullest extent - and even then, it does not seem to stand.

Supporting needs does not constitute providing an exact line of employment to tie in with your background - it never has done and it never will do. This applicant NEEDS to find paid employment - she WANTS to work in her field of 'expertise' (emphasised given that expertise means completion of a course of study, not 30+ years in the field - again, very big difference). There is a clear difference between NEED and WANT in this instance.

Even following your argument, its clear that obligations that are in place are being met by the Government. There are considerably more jobs available in retail than geology at any time - so providing someone with experience to cross into an industry where employment is more likely actually gives her something massively helpful.

posted on Feb, 4 2012 @ 05:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by mandroids...The work programme details I read stated that it is advice ‘tailored to support your needs’...

Yes, such as "not asking single mothers with infants to work nightshifts" and "not asking Muslims to be quality control testers at a brewery", not "supporting your needs by letting you do any old nonsense you like because you like it".

Besides, if you're volunteering then you're giving your time for free, it shouldn't be capable of being a work placement for the purposes of benefits. If anything, if you insist on taking the volunteer work and resisting other opportunities then you are NOT making yourself available for work (one of the requirements of receiving the benefit I believe) so you should no longer qualify.

If she is actively seeking the work, making herself available for work but using the volunteer placement for networking and CV building while she isn't actually working - brilliant, good for her, hope it goes well etc. She isn't, though. She's whinging because like an increasing number of recent graduates she just doesn't want to get her hands dirty.

If she was employed by a company - say, BP - and she was complaining that they wouldn't let her do the volunteer work while on paid company time, what would you say? Whose side would you take? When you're on JSA then you're effectively employed by the Government. If they tell you to go somewhere and do it, go and do it.

top topics

<< 13  14  15   >>

join