posted on Jan, 3 2005 @ 09:06 PM
This is the best advice I've gotten, and have continued to give.
1. Move out of the cities, establish a low key, minimalist lifestyle in rural and semi-rural areas of the country in which you live. Try your hand at
planting seeds, hunting game, fishing and trapping. Experience what it is to be responsible for your own survival. It will either scare you or
invigorate you. Then you have a choice. Do you want to accept whatever comes, or do you want to be the architect of your own destiny?
2. Spend your money wisely, on things that will be useful regardless of the outcome of future events. ie: How much good will that big screen TV do
when there's no power and bombs are falling or the volcanoes are all going off? For the same amount of money, you could get a good sturdy shotgun or
bow, plenty of ammo, water and food to last the better part of the year, and critical medical supplies for emergencies. All of those things are
individually more useful and valuable in hard times than a television, and they cost a whole lot less, that's why you should place a higher priority
3. Don't hoard cash. If you feel the need to 'preserve wealth' look into hard currency like silver, gold, platinum, nickel, even things like ball
bearings, ammunition, and oil will be worth ten times their weight in gold if anything happens.
4. Learn to trade and barter with your neighbors. This will increase your comfort level without putting you at the mercy of anyone in power. You
can still buy things from the store, or the internet, but you won't be dependent on those inventions for your very life. Invest in things like sacks
of rice and grain and bulk vegetables that are cheap, and can be easily traded for other things or preserved for future use.
5. Learn a trade: Leatherwork, Metalcraft, Carpentry, whatever. These types of people will thrive and be in demand in the future, no matter what
happens. Lazy, greedy, office-whipped slobs with no self discipline will be meat for the grinder when feces hits the fan.
6. Practice running! This got us through the last cataclysm, the one that transformed us from monkeys into men. When the dust clears after the next
cataclysm, what will you have become? Hopefully not dead!