It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Maya's new. Why didn't we listen

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 31 2011 @ 11:18 AM
link   
Keep in mind...
The Mayans couldn't even predict their own demise...what makes you think they could predict ours

posted on Dec, 31 2011 @ 11:22 AM
link   
reply to post by donniedeath

What are you trying to tell us? Could it be that you are telling us that 2012 will be the End.

Gasp............ another drama queen

posted on Dec, 31 2011 @ 11:30 AM
link   

The Mayas new what bro ? They find a new calendar or something ? Wish I could keep up with all these Mayas and Hopis and ETs and stuff but, I simply don't have the time. Happy New Year though : )

posted on Dec, 31 2011 @ 11:31 AM
link   

they didnt forsee the demise of thier empire - and did not predict the end of our civilization

posted on Dec, 31 2011 @ 12:05 PM
link   
There are no examples of Classic period prophecies associated with 2012. All of the post-Columbian period prophecies come from sources that have been highly influenced by Christian missionaries.

Also, your claims regarding the Mayan calendar system are completely wrong. It was a functional calendar. It had nothing to do with prophecies. The Long Count was merely a count of days since a mythical creation date and served the purpose of keeping track of dates outside of the 52-year Calendar Round. The haab was used to determine the Earth's position in regards to the Sun and was used primarily for agricultural purposes. In fact if you look at the names of the months they describe what type of agricultural activities would take place during that month. Of course it only had 365 days so after a while the months stopped matching up with the season they were supposed to be in. The other major calendar, the tzolkin, was a 260-day calendar that was used to determine religious events and ceremonies. It had nothing to do with prophecy. It's much like how the Church has its own calendar that it uses to determine the high holy days. There is absolutely no example of a Mayan calendar that was used for prognostication. In fact, even basic research into the Mayan calendar system reveals why all of this 2012 fearmongering is nonsense.

So put down the book by some New Age author who has an Associate's Degree in Studio Arts and do some legitimate research into the Maya. They are an interesting culture in their own right. You don't need to be reading made-up stories about them to make their cosmology and beliefs a worthwhile read.

posted on Dec, 31 2011 @ 12:23 PM
link   
Everything old is new.

Anyone with a brain knows we all die at some point.

posted on Dec, 31 2011 @ 01:44 PM
link   
I thought for a moment there, someone slipped me a wild mickey. Then I realized, it was the OP not making any sense, not my brain processes.

posted on Dec, 31 2011 @ 02:28 PM
link   
I would like to point out the fact that if the world was destined to end in 2012 a warning would be meaningless because the planet would just end anyway.

posted on Dec, 31 2011 @ 03:47 PM
link   
reply to post by n00bUK

OMG Thank you so much for that!

You made my New Year!

Best cartoon ever.

posted on Dec, 31 2011 @ 04:01 PM
link   

The Maya's new

Oh goody, I like guessing games. Lets see.......

Newspaper?

New pyramid leaked?

Maya's New year was called off because of shortage of the local drink?

The Maya's new calendar features pictures of ancient firefighters without shirts?

The Maya's new year's resolution is to welcome all Spanish explorers as friends?

I give up. So what's new with the Maya's?

posted on Dec, 31 2011 @ 04:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by Destinyone
Keep in mind...
The Mayans couldn't even predict their own demise...what makes you think they could predict ours

Why do people assume the Mayans even met a demise at all? If the entire race 'vanished', then isn't it possible that they left the planet?

Rapture=Rescue

I am not a believer of any doomsday predictions, such as the entire planet being destroyed on 12/21/12, but the Mayans, along with the Hopi, and the Dogon, were a credible group of people. They knew of star systems that we are just now able to make powerful enough telescopes to see.

Yes, I completely agree with the Ancient Alien Theory; we were visited by an advanced race in our ancient history. This alone leads me to believe in Mayan prophecies....

now whether or not they were even indicating a Doomsday Scenario for 12/21/12 is truly another story all together.

edit on 31-12-2011 by ButterCookie because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 31 2011 @ 04:39 PM
link   
Once again an IQ test should be necessary for this site.... Or at least a spelling test.

First of all it is spelled MAYANS or MAYAN .....NOT Maya's or Maya !

Second it is spelled KNEW not NEW~!

posted on Dec, 31 2011 @ 05:07 PM
link   

the mayans knew when there was an eclipse to start slaughtering enough people to please the sun gods to return the sun
i really dont think im going to give much attention to a bunch of savages

posted on Dec, 31 2011 @ 05:16 PM
link   
Troll.......Donniedeath are you a goth? just asking cause your demeanor sounds like Winnie the Pooh's, Eeyore.
Whoa as me, death is coming.... its beautiful, can you hear the quietness in the dark........

You weird me out man, Just a Thought.

Too bad I wasn't near you, I would give you a HUG!

Much Love

posted on Dec, 31 2011 @ 05:17 PM
link   
reply to post by ButterCookie

The Maya, Hopi, and Dogon did not know of anything that wasn't discovered long ago. Like many ancient cultures the Maya and the Hopi knew of the visible planets. They were able to accurately predict eclipses due to the fact that these happen on a regular basis. However, from my research I have yet to find if they even knew of such things as precession of the equinoxes. We already know they were incapable of accurately calculating the length of a year. They were certainly advanced for their time, but their knowledge of the cosmos pales in comparison to our own knowledge. As for the Dogon, all evidence points to their knowledge of the universe having come from the Western world. I know there are at least a few topics on here regarding this.

posted on Dec, 31 2011 @ 05:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by ButterCookie

Keep in mind...

Why do people assume the Mayans even met a demise at all? If the entire race 'vanished', then isn't it possible that they left the planet?

Rapture=Rescue

What, In a spaceship made of Wood & Rock ?

Hmm possible i suppose
edit on 31-12-2011 by BRITWARRIOR because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 31 2011 @ 05:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by BRITWARRIOR

Originally posted by ButterCookie

Keep in mind...

Rapture=Rescue

What, In a spaceship made of Wood & Rock ?

Hmm possible i suppose
edit on 31-12-2011 by BRITWARRIOR because: (no reason given)

Not at all....Wood and rock would not be able to transcend atmospheres and radiation.

ohhhhhh...you feel that there was not an advance race here? I wonder why so many civilzations world-wide, with oceans between them, described 'gods' visiting our planet?

Why did these 'gods' seem to have 'supernatural powers'?

Well, today we call the visitors aliens - and today we call the supernatural power 'technology'.

posted on Dec, 31 2011 @ 05:33 PM
link   
anyone want to send me thier worldy possesions ? cash ?

since we won't be here, it won't matter

I guarantee you not 1 believer will send me all of their cash on 12/20/12

not 1

lol

posted on Dec, 31 2011 @ 05:38 PM
link   
we didnt listen. we just started calling each other bro all the time and the mayas new. why, why didnt we listen!!??

posted on Dec, 31 2011 @ 05:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by donniedeath
They were trying to warn us. We did not listen. And now it's to late. Why didn't we listen.?

Didn't listen when? And to what?

Should we have taken our shoes off when entering a house or something?

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join