It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Hackers Plan Satellites To Block Internet Censorship

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 30 2011 @ 03:18 PM
link   

Hackers Plan Satellites To Block Internet Censorship

www.space.com

"Let's take the Internet out of the control of terrestrial entities."

This call to arms, issued by hacker activist Nick Farr, is the rallying cry behind a new plan to launch satellites into space to prevent Internet censorship.

Farr, a spokesperson for the Germany-based Chaos Computer Club, outlined the group's mission at this week's Chaos Communication Congress in Berlin, the BBC reported. Calling for an "uncensorable Internet in space," Farr outlined the CCC's Hackerspace Global Grid, a project that also will involve setting up low-cost ground stations to track and communicate
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Dec, 30 2011 @ 03:18 PM
link   
What are your thoughts on this? Do you think it will actually take off? I'm on the fence about this, but I will be scouring the internet in the following weeks to find out more information on this.

There's a legal black hole to contend with, as well: Outer space is not governed by the countries beneath it, Woodward explained, so while the CCC's satellites could function as planned.

www.space.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Dec, 30 2011 @ 03:31 PM
link   
Where there is a will there is a way.

Aslong as they can do it safely , and not interfear with other sats i think its a great idea!

The funding for it though would be quite alot of mula

If they start censoring the internet , would it not be easier for hackers to hack the satilites ? and make there own gateways using current sats? lol

posted on Dec, 30 2011 @ 03:34 PM
link   
reply to post by yourboycal2

You'd think that would be easier, and a whole lot cheaper haha.. but yeah, that's an uneducated assumption on my behalf.

posted on Dec, 30 2011 @ 03:34 PM
link   
I remember seeing something like this a year or 2 ago. A group was trying to raise money to buy a satellite witch some country was selling. So they could create a way to connect to the internet if the Goverment used censors. I think its a grate idea in theory. But not plausible. Your satellite could be shot down to the ground and the Goverment could lie. If the internet become censored their could be laws preventing a making and connecting to a free internet. I would guess that all satellites are monitored by the Government.

posted on Dec, 30 2011 @ 03:36 PM
link   
reply to post by 8ILlBILl8

Yeah the article states this.

There's a legal black hole to contend with, as well: Outer space is not governed by the countries beneath it, Woodward explained, so while the CCC's satellites could function as planned, "any country could take the law into their own hands and disable the satellites."

posted on Dec, 30 2011 @ 03:38 PM
link   
I think it's a great idea but I can't see how they can pull it off. World governments control orbit so if they're determined to censor the net I don't think they will allow satellites to be used to circumvent them. The only solution we really have is to grow the fight against oppression.

posted on Dec, 30 2011 @ 03:40 PM
link   
I think it is a marvelous idea actually.

However as you stated, space isn't owned by anyone.
Yet many countries have many weaponized satellites up there already.

So if the Governments want to censor the internet, they still can.

Destroy the 'Free Internet Satellite'.

It's not like the satellite will have any defense against other satellites.

posted on Dec, 30 2011 @ 03:49 PM
link   
Ive read two interesting articles that could go along with this.

The first was concerning a global initiative for people to put up personal satellites in space. These microsatellites would cost anywhere from 100-1000$ to purchase and launch. (they are all launched together).

And another story was talking about making a new internet, based off small networking boxes you could just plug into an electrical outlet, no bigger than an old cellphone.

Sorry I dont have more info off the top of my head, but it seems these two ideas could of important or help to the cause. I will see if i can find the related articles.

posted on Dec, 30 2011 @ 03:56 PM
link   
reply to post by VonDoomen

Cheers mate.
Would appreciate it if you could post the links here.

posted on Dec, 30 2011 @ 04:04 PM
link   
reply to post by yourboycal2

Where there is a budget there is a way as well
The Space Industry is heading towards the private sector, so if these hacker's pockets are deep enough I am sure they can get one of these companies to make them a satellite or two to blast into space.
edit on 12/30/2011 by UberL33t because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 30 2011 @ 04:05 PM
link   
This reminds me of a movie from many, many years ago about the near future, where nearly everyone was homeless and a small group of hackers managed to hack into a a major television news organization for the purpose of broadcasting a rude awakening video about TPTB.

I think one of the long haired, bearded members of Fleetwood Mac was one of the hackers, either John McVie or Mick Fleetwood.

I hope someone can help me remember the name if that movie.

posted on Dec, 30 2011 @ 04:41 PM
link   
I think its a great idea.
the reciver costs $100.

be they will shoot them with lasters or a small bolt.
so you would have to make them small and lots of them.
and make them radar invisble. a long tube may be good.

a small sat that can find and cling to other satalights!

posted on Dec, 30 2011 @ 05:08 PM
link   
There used to be bulletin boards that were accessible by radio as part of the amateur radio hobby. Would be a little easier than launching satellites.

A basic TNC allows your computer to use your radio to talk to another computer, thus combining two popular hobbies Q computers and radios.

Packet Radio

Oh, and amateur radio operator associations have put up tens of private satellites
AMSAT
edit on 30-12-2011 by kawika because: added link

posted on Dec, 30 2011 @ 05:13 PM
link   
This was always the natural progression of the internet.

Any action taken against the freedoms given to us by the internet (which we can all agree is probably our last bastion of freedom and quickly becoming the #1 tool to reclaiming our freedom) would be met with serious resistance from all fronts.

Anytime you make something illegal, or hard to access, you create a black market for it. It's not a stretch to say that there would be a "pirate internet" as there was "pirate radio" back in the day. Hell I'm sure there are versions of the internet or "intranets" that are "black market".

Terrorist networks etc.

There will be a "freedom internet" if it's needed down the line.

~Keeper

posted on Dec, 30 2011 @ 06:11 PM
link   
there would be one problem... ground stations... they would make it illegal to run, own, install, etc...

This would be the second biggest hurdle after the actual launch into space...

posted on Dec, 30 2011 @ 07:03 PM
link   
reply to post by Violence

I'm all for this move into space. First, since hackers have zero bank accounts living in the parents' basements as they do, they will need money, million and millions of dollars to design, build, launch and operate those wonderful new satellites that an offended government will prossibly and promptly shot down. But what the heck. I will donate 15 or maybe 17 millions pounds/dollars or what have you...euros(?) to get this project off the ground. where doI sign up?

posted on Dec, 30 2011 @ 07:08 PM
link   
reply to post by Magnum007

ever heard of pirate radio?

The government makes many things illegal. But since when has that stopped everyone?

posted on Dec, 30 2011 @ 07:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by buddha

a small sat that can find and cling to other satalights!

Yes! Awesome thought! they would have to send someone up to remove it because they won't destroy their own satellite! hahahahaha

posted on Dec, 30 2011 @ 07:37 PM
link   
reply to post by Aliensun

First, since hackers have zero bank accounts living in the parents' basements as they do

What a quaint view of hackers. I hate that term 'hackers'. It makes alternative computing sound like a crime. This is not about busting into the Pentagon (not that that is difficult because of the piss poor security) it is about freedom of speech.

Power grid networks and within a country at least WiFi networks both work.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join