It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Volcano Watch 2012 !

page: 13
<< 10  11  12    14  15 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 23 2012 @ 02:13 AM
link   
reply to post by ressiv

As Anmarie said it was a poor choice of wording from my part. My mistake.

posted on Aug, 23 2012 @ 01:10 PM
link   
no problem at all
but we are monitoring and discuss all known old super volcano's....
what about the new onces that will rice up....sooner ore later...
one crack in the crust on the right spot and voila....!

Amoraz spoke about the cracking up of africa witch is in progress for an long time...
with the volcanic activity right now in that aeria I agree with him that it can turn out to an serious world event any day from now...
also the strong EQ activity of east turkey/NW iran..maybe an caldera forming underground??

we still are missing an important parameter...the crust temperature....any difference on lets say 5KM depth could indicate an core movement...

theory...:
dessert forming comes from inside earth...earth crust thinner ore hotter at the eqador than on the poles ???!!!
edit on 23-8-2012 by ressiv because: (no reason given)

edit on 23-8-2012 by ressiv because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 27 2012 @ 08:05 PM
link   
I posted this on the 17th.. it's now the 28th and she's still quite grumbly.. particularly at the base of Katla.

Originally posted by Deplume

Mýrdalsjökull is rocking and rolling a bit today....

I've been watching since this morning, and they've now had a 3.8mag

Source

posted on Sep, 3 2012 @ 04:08 PM
link   
Apparently things are 'heating up' at Krakatau, I don't like the looks of that new steam plume right down at water level. According to the site, it's started within the last 24 hours.

Anak Krakatau - New Activity

posted on Sep, 3 2012 @ 04:58 PM
link   
Hi and thanks for having me at abovetopsecret! I am interested in Earthquakes and Volcanoes...well just about any interesting topic to do with the earth and I wanted to get your opinions on the following readings.
As you know we have had a bit of activity on and off in NZ of late and our Volcanoes are showing real signs of more to come. One of our Volcanoes is called Mayor Island and the Seismic drum has been not working on this Volcanic Island for nearly a year. After kicking up much stink recently the drums are now in action and what was seen on the first day of operation has myself and friends quite concerned...but the local experts are saying it is wind related readings.
First I draw your attention to the following image....

imageshack.us...

a comparison between Mayor Island and White Islands readings. Now Whites have already been confirmed to be showing Volcanic tremor...but when I questioned about Mayor Island yesterday Geonet stated its just wind. But they look exactly the same....

The RSAM/SSAM plot from the same timeframe shows that the frequency is in the 0-5hz range...also typicall volcanic...

imageshack.us...

Here are the weather conditions at the time of the readings..

imageshack.us...

And at the same time Raoul island was experiencing Gale force winds and as you can see from this comparison the RSAM/SSAM plots look very different to what is going on at Mayor..

imageshack.us...

Any thoughts....in my mind Mayor is showing the same symptoms as White...and this is already 100% confirmed as volcanic...so why is Mayor being written off as related wind???

posted on Sep, 4 2012 @ 07:42 AM
link   
Brennisteinsfjöll volcano is showing signs of activity in Iceland. There is currently large earthquake swarm going on. It erupted last time 1341, and its eruption power was VEI-2. Its only 20 km south from Iceland capital Reykjavik.

Other Icelandic volcanoes are currently quiet, only small background activity in feared Katla volcano.

Jon Frimann's Volcano Blog

posted on Sep, 6 2012 @ 09:17 AM
link   
reply to post by Necrosis

Thanks for the link. The photos of the subsurface gas explosions are scary!

Here is a link to the latest weekly update from the Global Volcanism Program and a bit of the associated text:

On 2 September seismicity again increased, and at 1830 a Strombolian eruption ejected lava 200-300 m above the crater. The Alert Level remained at 2 (on a scale of 1-4). Residents and visitors were warned not to approach the volcano within 1 km of the crater.

Based on analyses of satellite imagery, the Darwin VAAC reported that on 3 September ash plumes rose to altitudes of 2.4-4.3 km (8,000-14,000 ft) a.s.l. and drifted 35-95 km N.

This image is from NASA's Global Sulfur Dioxide Monitoring page showing Java on September 3.

edit on 9/6/2012 by Olivine because: add link

posted on Sep, 6 2012 @ 09:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by Necrosis
Apparently things are 'heating up' at Krakatau, I don't like the looks of that new steam plume right down at water level. According to the site, it's started within the last 24 hours.

Anak Krakatau - New Activity

Brilliant link, thank you very much. Looking at the pics, i am a bit unsure about the steam plume at water level. Is that definitely from a new vent? To me, it looks like it may be steam from ejecta landing around water level (although i may obviously be very wrong there - not entirely clear either way from the pics).

posted on Sep, 6 2012 @ 02:02 PM
link   
reply to post by Flavian

I think it's speculative at this point as whether the new geothermal activity is from ejecta, a lava flow that reached the ocean - ala Hawaii - or from new undergroundwater activity(the worst scenario). Since activity has increased, and due to the volcano's infamous past, hopefully there will be some kind of further clarification soon. A site I like to visit where a lot of the world's vulcanologists converse regularly about these things is:

The Wired Science Eruptions Blog

I find the comments to be just as enlightening as the posts as experts and novices alike are welcome to post and discuss the various topics there.

edit on 6-9-2012 by Necrosis because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 6 2012 @ 10:20 PM
link   
interesting and potentially deadly.....
now.msn.com...

Mt. Fuji close to erupting ,experts say

Hoping they take precautions !!!!
edit on 6-9-2012 by ujustneverknow because: TYPO

posted on Sep, 7 2012 @ 12:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by ujustneverknow
interesting and potentially deadly.....
now.msn.com...

Mt. Fuji close to erupting ,experts say

Hoping they take precautions !!!!
edit on 6-9-2012 by ujustneverknow because: TYPO

Or this could be complete BS. I do not like it when the Media pretend like they understand anything. I am just wondering how they managed to take these measurements. It seems very unlikely to me.

Perhaps just fear mongering for the masses. Now that I have said my piece, the bloody thing will probably blow it's cork tomorrow

posted on Sep, 7 2012 @ 06:52 AM
link   
Hello my fellow Mt. Rainier watchers.

Good News

Five Mt. Rainier monitoring stations are having maintenance work performed this week.

It looks like they must have begun with St. Andrews Rock. Station STAR. SHZ..UW is back online--hooray!

posted on Sep, 7 2012 @ 10:18 AM
link   
reply to post by Necrosis

Thanks for the link. Stumbled in there months ago, loved it and then promptly forgot all about it so that link really is appreciated.

I think the only saving grace with Krakatoa is that the infamous explosions only occured once the volcano started to collapse into the sea, allowing water into the vents and chambers. At present, that doesn't appear to be the case (although you never know).

The most amazing thing for me, considering the power of volcanoes, is how few people they actually kill (unless there is a monstrously large eruption). You see these huge, brooding beasts and expect the worst and yet they have played such an important role in human history.

posted on Sep, 7 2012 @ 12:30 PM
link   
Yes, the actual explosions don't kill a lot of people it's the side effects afterward, mainly lahars & pyroclastic flows, that do the killing. If on the water, tsunamis can be the biggest threat and, if the eruption is large enough and the right composition, then you get the climatic effects - normally atmospheric cooling which can cause famines and such far away from the actual eruption.

posted on Sep, 9 2012 @ 03:28 AM
link   

YouTube's Citizentube has a playlist of user submitted videos showing the dramatic volcanic eruptions of September 8th in Nicaragua. The San Cristobal volcano, the tallest in this Central American country, erupted at 9:02 am on Saturday, releasing steam and ash and causing authorities to evacuate more than 3000 people from Chinandega.

globalvoicesonline.org...
3 videos at this link

en.wikipedia.org...

Not much to say except wow this happened today and no one has reported it here.

more
thewatchers.adorraeli.com...

San Cristóbal volcano, located 150 km (95 miles) northwest of Managua, erupted on September 8 with three powerful explosions according to Nicaraguan Institute of Territorial Studies (INETER). A column of smoke and ash reached nearly a mile above the cone of the highest volcano in Nicaragua.

edit on 9-9-2012 by berkeleygal because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 9 2012 @ 08:05 AM
link   
It appears Mt. Fuji is acting up today too.

hisz.rsoe.hu...

posted on Sep, 9 2012 @ 08:08 AM
link   
reply to post by berkeleygal

posted on Sep, 10 2012 @ 07:26 AM
link   
edition.cnn.com...

Cnn s story on the eruption in Nicaragua.

posted on Sep, 11 2012 @ 02:43 AM
link   
Jr. is acting up:

Volcano Eruption in Indonesia on Monday, 03 September, 2012 at 18:44 (06:44 PM) UTC.
Description
A new phase of activity has started at Krakatau volcano. A large explosion occurred early today and produced an ash plume that reached 14,000 ft (4.2 km) according to Darwin VAAC who first observed it at 01:32 GMT. Ash fall has reached Lampung and over several subdistricts in Bandarlampung, at about 130 kilometers distance. Authorities have issued a warning for local residents and tourists not to approach the volcano. "It is rather unusual for the dust to be this thick," said Juniardi, a resident of Bandarlampung who complained that the falling dust was also hampering visibility, the Jakarta Globe writes. According to the news article, the activity of Anak Krakatau has been on the rise over the past few days, reaching almost 90 eruptions per day. Nurhuda said the report showed the volcano spewed red hot lava up to 300 meters above its peak. "More than 100 volcanic quakes and tremors have been recorded," he added.

hisz.rsoe.hu...

Updated: Tuesday, 11 September, 2012 at 03:21 UTC
Description
Ongoing activity by Indonesia's Mount Anak Krakatau has residents of nearby coastal areas concerned as the volcano spewed more lava, officials said. On Monday the volcano in the Sunda Strait spewed hot lava and other volcanic material 2,000 feet above its peak, the Antara news agency reported. "Tremors have not stopped rocking this area since yesterday," Hamdani, the head of the volcano monitoring post in the village of Hargopancuran, South Lampung, said. Black clouds were obscuring the peak of the volcano, Hamdani said. Officials warned fishermen to stay away from the volcano although they said the ongoing tremors would not cause a tsunami.

hisz.rsoe.hu...

posted on Sep, 13 2012 @ 02:11 PM
link   
GUATEMALA CITY (AP) — Guatemala's Volcano of Fire is spewing lava and ash and the director of the national disaster agency says officials are carrying out "a massive evacuation of thousands of people" in five communities.
The statement by Alejandro Maldonado comes after the volcano spewed lava nearly 2,000 feet (600 meters) down slopes billowing with ash on Thursday.

www.google.com...

top topics

<< 10  11  12    14  15 >>

join