It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Volcano Watch 2012 !

page: 14
<< 11  12  13    15 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 13 2012 @ 06:59 PM
link   
Another source for those who are interested, 33K being evacuated.

Guatemala Volcano Forces Evacuations

posted on Sep, 17 2012 @ 06:45 PM
link   
There aren't any news reports yet but someone at the eruptions blog on wired science has said that Lokon-Empung has erupted in Indonesia.

posted on Sep, 17 2012 @ 08:36 PM
link   
There's a picture and a report in the local language of Lopong eruption here...
news.loveindonesia.com...

Rainbows
Jane

posted on Sep, 25 2012 @ 04:38 PM
link   
cool

posted on Sep, 25 2012 @ 04:41 PM
link   
sorry in advance but im a newbie and cant figure out how to post my own uestion on here and really wanted to ask 1 about the sand filled foam in aberdeen todayy ? sorry for butting in on this post

posted on Sep, 26 2012 @ 03:05 AM
link   
reply to post by PinkPoinson31

Wrong thread to ask that question I'm afraid. But the foam is a perfectly normal when seas get churned up by storms.

Rainbows
Jane

posted on Oct, 7 2012 @ 08:32 AM
link   
JAKARTA, Indonesia (AP) — A volatile volcano has erupted again in northern Indonesia, spewing smoke and ash that caused muddy rain to fall in nearby villages.

Local monitoring officer Farid Ruskanda Bina says Mount Lokon in northern Sulawesi province erupted Sunday afternoon as heavy rain fell around its cloud-covered crater.

He says the sound was heard 5 kilometers (3 miles) away but the height of the eruption was not visible.

bigstory.ap.org...-context=article/spain-quip-adds-romneys-foreign-policy-trouble

posted on Oct, 26 2012 @ 08:41 AM
link   
Kudos to all you avid volcano watchers and to all of those on this thread.

So a question for you all volcano experts, is it normal for Long Valley to be having this much activity? I bet it is, so no worries. But I thought it better ask a dumb question, than to not know.

She is just breathing a little bit, right?

Thanks in advance!

earthquake.usgs.gov...

Peace

posted on Oct, 28 2012 @ 03:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by lasertaglover
Kudos to all you avid volcano watchers and to all of those on this thread.

So a question for you all volcano experts, is it normal for Long Valley to be having this much activity? I bet it is, so no worries. But I thought it better ask a dumb question, than to not know.

She is just breathing a little bit, right?

Thanks in advance!

earthquake.usgs.gov...

Peace

yeah this is the norm for long valley
shes generally more active quake wise then YS. just so you know ..

posted on Oct, 31 2012 @ 09:31 AM
link   
As alysha.angel stated, I think this falls in the normal range for Long Valley, but there has definitely been an uptick in microquake activity.

Here is a graph of seismic activity for October:

(click image to enlarge)
image source

Over the past 7 days, the Calvo Long Valley monitoring page shows 233 earthquakes.

There is also a small uptick in compressional strain at Devil's Postpile (just W of Mammoth Mtn) and Motocross station (E of Mammoth Mtn, on the caldera rim). dilatometers

posted on Nov, 1 2012 @ 04:44 AM
link   
There is signs of coming eruption in distant Australian volcano. It lies on sun-arctic territory of Heard island, 4100 km NW of Perth.

Australian volcano about to erupt?

ONE OF ONLY TWO active volcanoes in Australian territory is showing possible signs of eruption.

Satellite thermal imagery collected by NASA's Earth Observing System (EOS) during the past month indicates volcanic activity is occurring at Big Ben, a volcano located on remote Heard Island, about 4100km southwest of Perth, in the sub-Antarctic.

Thermal anomalies at Mawson's Peak, the 2745m summit of Big Ben, were documented this year on 21 and 24 September, and 10 and 19 October using infrared data provided by the Moderate Resolution Imaging Spectroradiometer (MODIS), a key instrument aboard each of the two EOS satellites.

An image taken by one of the satellite's Advanced Land Imagers (ALI) on October 13 also shows a snow- and ice-free area at Mawson's Peak, indicating a possible hotspot in the volcano's crater.

"The satellites that volcano scientists use are basically weather and environmental satellites, and they provide up to two images per day over any given spot on Earth," says Dr Matthew Patrick, a research geologist at the Hawaiian Volcano Observatory. "The satellites collect both visible wavelength images and thermal images. The thermal images, which are really designed to spot forest fires, respond well to the high surface temperatures common during volcanic eruptions."
AustralianGeographic

posted on Nov, 1 2012 @ 07:08 AM
link   
I am not trying to derail this post, but I have not been here long enough to make a posting.
I know this is kind of crossing into another topic but I don't find one recent enough to place this comment and thought it to interesting to pass up.

StephenHannardADGUK and Alien Disclosure Group called it " ... an incredible UFO event over the Popocatepeti Volcano in Mexico,"

[url=http://www.examiner.com/article/ufo-descends-into-live-volcano-mexico]

"The estimated size of this object is 1Km by 200 meters or around 3,200 ft long, and 600 ft wide"

I would encourage everyone to take a look. I don't speak Spainish but they do say it is not a hoax.
If some one could interpret and comment, it would be helpful.

posted on Nov, 4 2012 @ 09:45 PM
link   
Two volcanoes in Philippines are showing signs of waking up. The bad boy is TAAL; now on alert level 1 after a few volcanic quakes. People are advised to remain more than 6 km distant from both volcanoes. Taal is only 60 km South from Manila. Potentially serious if erupts - TAAL is a high contend Sulphur blowing volcano; similar to Nabro.
edit on 4/11/2012 by Aromaz because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 15 2012 @ 11:02 PM
link   
16 November 2012, 10:00 am - Increased likelihood of eruptions at Ruapehu, New Zealand; Volcanic Alert is at Level 1; Aviation Colour Code is raised to Yellow

info.geonet.org.nz...

posted on Nov, 18 2012 @ 07:04 PM
link   
howdy ya all volcano watchers out there ,,,

update from the threads author ,,,,

expect 2013 s thread to be up and running by me no later then dec 20th.. and yes i will be making it ...

thanks you all for your awesome additions to my thread this year and lets hope mama natures spices things up a bit during next year.....

peace ...
edit on 18/11/12 by alysha.angel because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 21 2012 @ 04:15 AM
link   
reply to post by muzzy

very very weird......warning for the ruapehu and an eruption for the tongariro....
wats going on there...
for sure both volcano's are connected......the ruapehu stands the pressure from underneath ..so the magma found an easyer way by the tongariro?
that would make the ruapehu an tikking explosive timebomb....

edit on 21-11-2012 by ressiv because: (no reason given)

edit on 21-11-2012 by ressiv because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 21 2012 @ 08:06 AM
link   
reply to post by ressiv

NZ volcano Mt Tongariro erupts

NEW Zealand's Mount Tongariro volcano in the central North Island has erupted, sending a black plume of ash up to 2km into the air and forcing hundreds of hikers to be evacuated.

Hundreds of tourists - including 90 schoolchildren from Napier - were on the mountain when Tongariro erupted around 1.20pm local time.

Police are warning sightseers to stay away from the area in case of further volcanic activity.

The official GNS Science monitoring service issued a potential threat alert after the eruption at the volcano, which was the location for parts of The Lord of the Rings trilogy.

The volcano became active in August this year after lying dormant for more than a century.

She blew!!

posted on Nov, 21 2012 @ 12:22 PM
link   
awesome high quality vid of yesterdays Tonagriro Te Maari eruption here
edit on 21-11-2012 by muzzy because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 26 2012 @ 01:22 PM
link   
Icelandic Grímsfjall volcano is showing some harmonic tremor, but there is no earthquakes yet. Its not strong, but definitely harmonic tremor, might be small eruption, or signs of glacier moving.

Jon Frimann's blog

posted on Nov, 27 2012 @ 07:13 AM
link   

WELLINGTON - New Zealand tourism and government officials are hoping the still-smoldering crater on a central North Island volcano that erupted last week will draw visitors from around the world after the government announced plans Tuesday to reopen hiking trails around the mountain.

The announcement came a day after the government's Institute of Geological and Nuclear Sciences (GNS Science) lowered the volcanic alert level for Mount Tongariro from level 2, warning of minor eruptive activity, to level 1, which indicated volcanic unrest.

China Daily

I thought Mm, is this not a bit soon? Then I read.....

"Over the next week, the scenario considered most likely is that there may be further eruptions and these could occur with no warning," it added.

Nice one. Send in the tourists 'cos we NEED the cash!

"We see a lot of school groups visiting the area at this time of year and did not want too many to have to cancel. What a great opportunity this is for them to study an active volcanic area," Brown said in the statement.

/sarc Hell what does it matter if a few school kids get fried? God forbid they should cancel!!! They will all be spending money. /sarc off

top topics

<< 11  12  13    15 >>

join