It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Volcano Watch 2012 !

page: 12
<< 9  10  11    13  14  15 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 7 2012 @ 07:43 PM
link   
reply to post by muzzy

NZ Volcano map - interactive (sort of)

99% of cellphone have a camera.

Always knew I was in the 1%

edit on 7/8/2012 by PuterMan because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 7 2012 @ 08:39 PM
link   
reply to post by Evltre

Originally posted by Evltre
reply to post by Curious and Concerned

that image isn't of this eruption - sorry! But don't worry - every one has been posting that pic around including the media! What a huge media fail there!

Thanks! I should have expected as much

Originally posted by muzzy
That image looks like the tailend of the 1995 eruption taken from the the Rotoaira side of Tongariro, the plume from this one should be in the right hand side forefront of the first slope, Te Maari crater

After looking back at it now, I should have clearly recognised that that wasn't Tongariro, but Ruapehu (I've spent more time around those volcanoes than most). I can now clearly make out Girdlestone peak, and the Southern face where the Turoa ski field is located. I think this must have been taken from the Desert Road or around Waiouru, so you cannot actually see Tongariro in the pic I posted.

I had wondered why I didn't recognise the shape, but thought it may have been photographed from an angle that I hadn't seen before. Silly me

edit on 7/8/12 by Curious and Concerned because: add quote

posted on Aug, 8 2012 @ 05:04 AM
link   
Hydrothermal?

May be there's a lot of water/steam in the plume but to produce a volcanic ash cloud you need to have ejected tephra too.
And when you look at some of the taken pictures the fallen ash is volcanic stuff and not earth/wind and fire.

posted on Aug, 8 2012 @ 06:50 AM
link   
The weather has gotten slightly better, so some better pictures have now become available. I can confirm that they are indeed from the recent eruption

A new vent has formed below the Upper Te Maari Crater, which is now steaming away. The eruption blew rocks out up to 1.5km, and has coated the nearby landscape in ash and debris.

The eruption has also caused a significant debris flow, which may have been similar to a lahar. It has flown down a valley, displacing a natural stream bed causing pooling.

More photos here

posted on Aug, 8 2012 @ 07:14 AM
link   
And while most peoples attention has been on Tongariro, our most active volcano, White Island, has been going about it's business.

A small eruption was recorded on a webcam at around 4:55am on August 5th, remembering that it's local NZ time (we are one of the first to see the rising sun each day).

Source

A couple of days later, this happened.

Around 11:30 pm on August 7 volcanic tremor at White Island sharply decreased to levels seen prior to the current episode of unrest in late July. A few hours after this drop in tremor, the colour of the plume changed from white to light brown, indicating more ash is now in the plume. Visual observations in recent days show that a small cone is being built in the lake, around the main area of degassing.

This is the first time ash has been produced from White Island since 2000 and may represent the start of a new phase of activity at White Island.
Volcanic Alert Bulletin WI-2012/03 - First ash emissions since 2000; Alert Level is at Level 2; Aviation Colour Code is Orange

It appears our most active volcano is erupting once more. I know it's been said by geologists that the Tongariro and White Island eruptions are not related at all. But some part of me thinks that there may be some unknown connection linking this recent activity together. You've got to admit that it's a pretty big coincidence that after 10 and 110 years, these two volcanoes in the Taupo Volcanic Zone commence eruptive phases within a day or two of each other, even though we are a very geologically active country

Either way I'll be paying close attention to the activity of these volcanoes. All the best for the people nearby

posted on Aug, 8 2012 @ 11:36 AM
link   
permisson to post in this thread O AWESOMENESS...
(iv been extreamly sidetracked lately...)

here is something new to add .. could another volcano in NZ erupt in the near future?

www.news24.com...

Mount Tongariro - A second volcano in New Zealand threatened to rumble to life on Wednesday, a day after a long-dormant mountain that was the backdrop to The Lord of the Rings movies erupted.

Text

i knew it . ever since that big quake in NZ two years ago hit that a volcano would erupt sooner or later . and i was again right... thank god it was a minor eruption and nobody got killed or injured ...

and here is the weekly update on all volcano world wide..

25 July-31 July 2012 New Activity/Unrest: | Cumbal, Colombia | Tongariro, North Island (New Zealand) | Yasur, Vanuatu (SW Pacific)

www.volcano.si.edu...

peace all..

posted on Aug, 9 2012 @ 07:57 PM
link   
Could this mean a larger eruption is definitely on the cards? www.stuff.co.nz...

posted on Aug, 9 2012 @ 10:06 PM
link   
Looks like another NZ volcano has been going off as well!

A navy ship heading to the Kermadec Islands has sailed into a huge 25,000 square kilometre area of pumice pieces north of Auckland.

link here

posted on Aug, 10 2012 @ 12:56 AM
link   
reply to post by Evltre

cool

Same thing happened in 1944 according to the Smithsonian Institute
quite an active submarine volcano
www.volcano.si.edu...

We get pumice washed up on our beach sometimes, word is that it is washed down the Whangaehu River from the Volcanic Plateau and hense down the West Coast of the North Island.

There should be video of this available shortly, TV One is showing something on the 6pm News coming up soon, maybe search TV One News in an hour or so for a link.

posted on Aug, 10 2012 @ 07:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by muzzy
reply to post by Evltre

cool

Same thing happened in 1944 according to the Smithsonian Institute
quite an active submarine volcano
www.volcano.si.edu...

We get pumice washed up on our beach sometimes, word is that it is washed down the Whangaehu River from the Volcanic Plateau and hense down the West Coast of the North Island.

There should be video of this available shortly, TV One is showing something on the 6pm News coming up soon, maybe search TV One News in an hour or so for a link.

Ha! I found ya Muzzy.... You can run to other threads but ya cant hide from me! Lol

So.... Ive been wondering... Did ya feel the quake

posted on Aug, 10 2012 @ 09:04 AM
link   
reply to post by Evltre

Also found this article that says Monowai is growing fast.
Volcano grows at astounding rate

edit on 10-8-2012 by sageturkey because: Decorum

edit on 10-8-2012 by sageturkey because: Slow on the uptake

posted on Aug, 12 2012 @ 07:00 AM
link   
Some look at Lake Toba in Indonesia and Yellowstone in the USA; they 'fear' a 'super eruption'.

I am quite convinced we are facing a much more serious threat to our lives; and this one is actually happening right now though few realize it. Those that does realise it - have but soft insignificant voices.

People, look at Afar in Ethiopia/Darfur region. That is where OUR life is threatened from. Nope not as a super eruption covering all of us under magma. That is quick, the thread is way more serious and spells lots of suffering.

Afar is splitting apart, it is where we can literally see through the gates of hell. This region is right on top of a huge magma bubble. But that is not the worst. This region is huge in SUPLHUR. Now if there were two words we in this day need to consider seriously it is when somebody speaks "Volcano and Sulphur" in same sentence - that spells major disaster.

Much of happenings in the world weather at present are a great deal attributed to the small eruption of Nabro last year. It blew a large volume of sulphur into the stratosphere ... Nabro is on the edge of Afar. If Afar falls; the whole world will experience an unprecedented disaster.

Oh yea, it is not much in the news - but Nabro and its cousins are definitely not quiet.

posted on Aug, 17 2012 @ 12:22 PM
link   
Mýrdalsjökull is rocking and rolling a bit today....

I've been watching since this morning, and they've now had a 3.8mag

Source

posted on Aug, 17 2012 @ 01:00 PM
link   
Posting to allow myself easy access to a thread I am interested in.
2nd

posted on Aug, 17 2012 @ 01:25 PM
link   

Japan’s Sakurajima volcano releasing largest amount of ash in 20 years: ground swollen around volcano

Posted on August 17, 2012 by The Extinction Protocol
August 17, 2012 – JAPAN - Sakurajima Volcano has been steadily erupting for some time now. So much so that residents were asked to cover up and wear masks as a health and safety measure. According to researchers, this active volcano in Kagoshima Prefecture could release its largest amount of ash in two decades this year alone. Going by the current stats available, the mountain has already spewed enough ash from January to July, amounting to twice the amount emitted in all of last year. Masato Iguchi, a professor at the Sakurajima Volcano Research Center said that last year saw a record number of eruptions as well. The ground around Sakurajima indicates the buildup of magma and appears swollen. And if Sakurajima keeps being as active it is right now, we can expect the amount of ash expelled to be a new record. In the past two decades this year’s activity of explosions and ash fall have both risen dramatically. As a part of the Kyoto University’s disaster reduction research institute, keeping a tab on such stats is imperative to avoid another Pompeii. You may recollect the 1914 eruption as one of the deadliest one that killed 58 people. Presently, Minamidake crater erupted last month for the first time in about a year and a half and the Showa crater has been active since 2008. –Japan Daily Press

theextinctionprotocol.wordpress.com... ano/

Rainbows
Jane

posted on Aug, 19 2012 @ 01:51 AM
link   
reply to post by Aromaz

Okay, I am not a vulcanologist or geologist or even close. Can you please explain how large amounts of sulfur spewed into the stratosphere can cause great catastrophe? How does it affect our weather?

Thanks!

posted on Aug, 21 2012 @ 05:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by MountainEnigma
reply to post by Aromaz

Okay, I am not a vulcanologist or geologist or even close. Can you please explain how large amounts of sulfur spewed into the stratosphere can cause great catastrophe? How does it affect our weather?

Thanks!

It would generate what's called a Volcanic Winter if the amount is big enough, cutting us from the sunlight for a certain period of time. Everything below a VEI 7 wouldn't be that bad but a VEI 8 or even a big VEI 7 could trigger a small Ice Age and this in a very aggressive way.

A Big VEI 8 (above 2 000 km3 ejected tephra with the needed sulphur pumped up in the stratosphere) could possible cut us off from the sunlight for a couple of years. Some scientists believe a decade isn't to be excluded.
Some scientists tried to make models of what could happen, globally but it's not easy to see the big picture as it would affect the entire planet. Sunlight not heating up the oceans and seas could have a huge impact on streams, currents, gulf stream and so on. No "normal" sunlight would affect dramaticaly crops and animal stocks and so on and so on.

Lucky us those big events don't happen often.
Will they happen again? Sure
Will you, me, our chlidren or our grand chlidren witness one of those cataclysm? No

posted on Aug, 21 2012 @ 06:43 AM
link   
Tungurahua Volcano Erupts 19.8.2012. in Ecuador...
News updates:
www.volcanodiscovery.com...
Photos:
english.cri.cn...
Webcam:
www.igepn.edu.ec...

posted on Aug, 22 2012 @ 04:08 PM
link   
reply to post by Nidwin

(/Will you, me, our chlidren or our grand chlidren witness one of those cataclysm? No )
youre sourses please...
just aint predictible...can happen today /tomorrow ore else....

posted on Aug, 22 2012 @ 07:38 PM
link   
reply to post by ressiv

I think highly unlikely at this moment... would have been a better choice of words, but, things can change at any moment... Yeah, I freaked me out when I started wathcing Yellowstone rise and swarm.. couldn't believe more folks weren't talking about it - then thank the gods I found ATS....so I could talk about it.. She still is worrisome to me thou as it as if she is holding her breath in her sleep.... the inflation is still there with only slight substinance.

top topics

<< 9  10  11    13  14  15 >>

join