It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Oldest obsidian bracelet reveals amazing craftsmen's skills in the eighth millennium BC

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+30 more 
posted on Dec, 21 2011 @ 09:37 PM
link   

Oldest obsidian bracelet reveals amazing craftsmen's skills in the eighth millennium BC

www.physorg.com

Researchers from the Institut Français d'Etudes Anatoliennes in Istanbul and the Laboratoire de Tribologie et de Dynamiques des Systèmes have analyzed the oldest obsidian bracelet ever identified, discovered in the 1990s at the site of Aşıklı Höyük, Turkey. Using high-tech methods developed by LTDS to study the bracelet's surface and its micro-topographic features, the researchers have revealed the astounding technical expertise of craftsmen in the eighth millennium BC.
(visit the link for the full news article)

+7 more 
posted on Dec, 21 2011 @ 09:37 PM
link   
Check this out... (I inverted the color so it would register better)

Now think about it.... 10,000 years ago....

Some amazing tech was applied to the analysis of this artifact - and frankly... the results are stunning!

((emphasis mine))

This process has revealed that the bracelet was made using highly specialized manufacturing techniques. The analyses carried out showed that the bracelet was almost perfectly regular. The symmetry of the central annular ridge is extremely precise, to the nearest degree and nearest hundred micrometers. This suggests that the artisans of the time used models to control its shape when it was being made. The surface finish of the bracelet (which is very regular, resembling a mirror) required the use of complex polishing techniques capable of obtaining a nanometer-scale surface quality worthy of today's telescope lenses.

Imagine the possibility - that despite what we have been generally told by mainstream archeology - there may have been a time long ago when our predecessors were much more technically apt than we imagined. Unless I am completely off-base here, nanometer-scale precision took "modern man" some 5 or 6,000 years to achieve.

Granted, I am no craftsman to judge ancient man's capabilities. But I distinctly recall being taught that it took us a quite a long time to manage developing the wheel and bow.... let alone worrying about precision like that.

Wish I had more time to write... but I think you all may have some interesting input to add..... so, get to it!

www.physorg.com
(visit the link for the full news article)
edit on 21-12-2011 by Maxmars because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 21 2011 @ 09:49 PM
link   
I think the ancients had some crazy way of shaping stone into nearly perfect shapes. I remember watching a documentary where they showed many crazy smooth hand tools they dug out in Guatemala that were designed so that no matter the variations in a person's hand they fit perfectly

posted on Dec, 21 2011 @ 09:52 PM
link   
Yet another clue that we dont know as much as we think about our past history. Its right up there with the recent discovery of bodies dating back to the 1100's in Peru. Horses were found along with the human remains even though science is saying horses first arrived in the Americas when the Europeans arrived with them.

At times main stream science and their arrogance reminds me of baghdad Bob. Even with US tanks rolling in the background, he is on air, saying the Americans are losing and nowhere near the city..

Whats it going to take to get people to reconsider parts of our history to account for new information.

posted on Dec, 21 2011 @ 09:54 PM
link   
Does make you wonder - modern humans have been around for over a hundred thousand years so that's more than enough time to pick up some crazy stone working skills. Once the change over to metal was made so much must have been lost.

posted on Dec, 21 2011 @ 10:07 PM
link   
I've often wondered about our modern take on history. Humans - in our present form - have been around for almost 200,000 years or more, yet most of our technology has evolved in the last few thousand years? It's like we spent 198,000 years herding goats and then reached present technology in the last few millenium. It just doesn't add up. I think we have lost a lot of our history somewhere along the way, maybe due to natural disaster or a devastating war. Or something.

posted on Dec, 21 2011 @ 10:18 PM
link   
Interesting and surely another nail in the coffin of the official version of history. If we have only been technically capable of "science" for a mere few hundred years, all we have now would simply not be possible. I have no idea who the keeper of the true world history and knowledge is (I would personally guess The Vatican and their secret vaults being a good place to start) but I do know there is more lie than truth taught at school.
ETA The linked article has a "photo" of said bracelet and while looking at it, I see what appears to be irregular markings on the inside. It gets me thinking about compact disc "pits and lands".
Getting quite excited I might have spotted something I read the text by the image. "Artist's impression" Bah! Can't we even get a real photo these days?
Oh well...
edit on 21/12/11 by LightSpeedDriver because: ETA

edit on 21/12/11 by LightSpeedDriver because: Typo/grammar

posted on Dec, 21 2011 @ 10:55 PM
link   
reply to post by Maxmars

That is gasket not a bracelet.

AX

FTNWO

posted on Dec, 21 2011 @ 10:57 PM
link   
reply to post by Maxmars

I am sure you realize just how difficult it would be actually to create something like that
10k years ago. Obsidian has a tendancy to fracture. Hence the razor sharp edges.
It is very glasslike and has a hardness of 5- 5.5.
In fact, It would be a great contest to see this reproduced today without using ANY electrically
powered tools.
Is it possible, well obviously as this specimen exists.
Amazing what people can do without T.V.,Computers, and all the other current distractions
of our current era on the human timeline.

We should be careful to make sure it is not fraudulent.
It wouldn't be the first time.

I wonder if it would fit me?
S&F

posted on Dec, 21 2011 @ 11:02 PM
link   
reply to post by LightSpeedDriver

Now that is interesting. Reminds me of the "Dopa" artifacts from China.
Those markings appear exceptionally well ordered.

Almost too well.

posted on Dec, 21 2011 @ 11:03 PM
link   
reply to post by Maxmars

what the heck wish there was a decent picture, would like to see this better, you know it reminds me of something.

posted on Dec, 21 2011 @ 11:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by Wildmanimal

Now that is interesting. Reminds me of the "Dopa" artifacts from China.
Those markings appear exceptionally well ordered.

Almost too well.

yea, those markings make me wonder

posted on Dec, 21 2011 @ 11:21 PM
link   
That's obviously an o-ring from one of Sitchen's Sumerian rockets.

That is amazing more for it's craftsmanship than it's age, after all we have jewelry from the Neanderthals far older.

posted on Dec, 21 2011 @ 11:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by Xcathdra
Yet another clue that we dont know as much as we think about our past history. Its right up there with the recent discovery of bodies dating back to the 1100's in Peru. Horses were found along with the human remains even though science is saying horses first arrived in the Americas when the Europeans arrived with them.

not quite - they are known to have been in the Americas in prehistoric times, but were though to have died out with the rest of the megafauna some time after 12000 BC - apparently the latest core sample DNA shows they were still around 8000 years ago.

This forum discusses that site

posted on Dec, 21 2011 @ 11:42 PM
link   
reply to post by Maxmars

It looks like a rear main seal to an engine or automotive bearing. I think the ancient builders were using hydraulic steam powered machinery. The land was much different at the time. The woods of thousands of years ago were likely radically different than today's plant species.

I certainly believe the ancients had machinery.

posted on Dec, 22 2011 @ 12:33 AM
link   

There are real pictures of it on the original article

posted on Dec, 22 2011 @ 12:44 AM
link   
reply to post by Maxmars

Simply amazing.
We are without excuse, lets get to work and produce!

posted on Dec, 22 2011 @ 12:50 AM
link   
I wonder how stuff like this just gets written off eventually as being a fluke or a simple mystery worth only passing interest...

posted on Dec, 22 2011 @ 12:51 AM
link   
reply to post by HunkaHunka

I checked a second time and I read:

Digital reconstruction of the bracelet proposed by Mohamed Ben Tkaya (LTDS). Credit: Obsidian Use Project Archives. This image is available from the CNRS photo library,

I know from other threads on this site that this is not always a totally accurate representation of the original object but I am happy to confirm my ignorance in this case. The digital could be a faithful reproduction too but I am unsure. That does not negate my comments about the lies of current thinking about history or man's technological abilities thousands of years ago. "Some say" the pyramids are at least 30,000 years old which I personally find more believable than the acknowledged age of 3,000 BC or whatever it is thought to be.

posted on Dec, 22 2011 @ 01:03 AM
link   
ok the actual picture shows its just a tiny piece of what may or MAY NOT be a bracelet. and that tiny chunk looks NOTHING CLOSE to the digital reconstruction, except for how they imagine the general shape to be.

all those cool facets that make that digital image worth oooing and awwing over are not in the original.. which is just a tiny shard that... honestly... how on earth did they decide it was a bracelet? how could they possibly have recognized it as ANYTHING? it could be anything at all its so small, why do they assume it just continued on its small arch into a circle? why not some other way to form something else? and why a bracelet?

is this really all archeology is? people guessing what things look like?

they say the craftsmanship is amazing? by what standards? is this one of many small hunks of rock that might be bracelets too?

[/end old man rant]

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join