It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Happy Solstice!

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 20 2011 @ 09:45 AM
link   
..a holiday to celebrate the changing seasons, nature and what it provides for us.

posted on Dec, 20 2011 @ 10:10 AM
link   
reply to post by riley

And a happy one to you as well!

posted on Dec, 20 2011 @ 10:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by riley
..a holiday to celebrate the changing seasons, nature and what it provides for us.

Reification fallacy. "Nature" has no mind therefore cannot "provide" anything whatsoever.

posted on Dec, 20 2011 @ 10:48 AM
link   
reply to post by riley

Who's the girl in the costume behind you? And thank you for reminding us to be grateful for the blessings and beauty that come from the earth. My own favorite day for that is Thanksgiving, but one can never be too grateful.

posted on Dec, 20 2011 @ 11:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by NOTurTypical

Reification fallacy. "Nature" has no mind therefore cannot "provide" anything whatsoever.

And you know this.....how? You are quick to spew your rhetoric but very reticent with answers to legitimate questions regarding your dogma.

How on earth do you come up with crap like that? Nature does not provide? No sunshine, water, air, food, warmth, companionship? *facepalm*
Whatever. Why do you bother if you refuse to back up your outrageous claims with anything but warped thinking?
Who are you that we should pay any attention??

TO THE OP:
HAPPY SOLSTICE TO YOU TOOOOO!!!!

posted on Dec, 20 2011 @ 11:24 AM
link   
reply to post by vogon42

Thankyou Vogon42.

Originally posted by charles1952
reply to post by riley

Who's the girl in the costume behind you?

I have always wondered that.. another one of life's mysteries.

And thank you for reminding us to be grateful for the blessings and beauty that come from the earth. My own favorite day for that is Thanksgiving, but one can never be too grateful.

True. When I recieve a blessing I try give something in return or it feels out of balance. Same applies to nature; hopefuly humanity as a whole will remember soon.
edit on 20-12-2011 by riley because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 20 2011 @ 11:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by wildtimes

And you know this.....how? You are quick to spew your rhetoric but very reticent with answers to legitimate questions regarding your dogma.

How on earth do you come up with crap like that? Nature does not provide? No sunshine, water, air, food, warmth, companionship? *facepalm*
Whatever. Why do you bother if you refuse to back up your outrageous claims with anything but warped thinking?

The planet is paying for the whole "man has dominion over the earth" thing.. people are entitled to their views but the reality is we depend on nature to survive. We are at it's mercy so treating it with contempt isn't very logical.

TO THE OP:

Thanks I'm thinking about getting cards made up.

edit on 20-12-2011 by riley because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 20 2011 @ 11:49 AM
link   

TO THE OP:

According to scientists, nature is nothing more than an ordered set of physical laws. Seasons come and seasons go because the earth revolves around the sun. The sun is there because of nothing more than physical laws. Water exists because of physical laws. Food exists because we kill it or it grows because of physical laws.

The laws of physics, people use them to try to debunk God. Nature is nothing more than an ordered set of physical laws, nothing more than that.

posted on Dec, 20 2011 @ 11:51 AM
link   
reply to post by WarminIndy

OK, then happy....... science? to you.

posted on Dec, 20 2011 @ 11:55 AM
link   

Because "nature" is not a physical entity. "Nature" has no brain. It's a fallacy of reification to ascribe personal qualities to an impersonal concept.

God provides all those. "Nature" is not a physical entity, "nature" has no brain therefore can provide nothing. "Nature" is a word we've come up with to describe God's creation.

LOL, in debate class this specific example was used for the reification fallacy in the textbook. Speaking of "nature" as a physical entity.

I could just as easily say "likewise", but I won't be that rude.

posted on Dec, 20 2011 @ 11:55 AM
link   
reply to post by WarminIndy

I never said there is no God. I said that Nature provides for us.

It's a fallacy of reification to ascribe personal qualities to an impersonal concept.

And you say that God has a "brain" and is a "physical entity"?

How is being grateful for what our planet and its seasons and sun and resources provide for us debunking God??

I am thankful that the Earth exists. And I am horrified by those "humans" who think they have "dominion" over it. Here's a Q for ya:
What if the Earth IS "God"??? Hmmmm????

edit on 20-12-2011 by wildtimes because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 20 2011 @ 11:59 AM
link   
reply to post by NOTurTypical

I am not being rude! You are claiming that Nature has no mind, and backing that up with an imaginary guy sitting on an imaginary throne who DOES have a mind?

I've seen you elsewhere, and asked you before: What is "not typical about your out of the closetness, Jesus Freak"? What brownie points or gold stars are you earning for dissing Nature and its abundance? Isn't it your opinion that "God" made the world? That world is known as "Nature"? And it is the Nature around us that provides all our needs??

You are using fiction to prove fiction. Silly.

I for one, am glad the days will be getting longer and once again fresh greenery will be joining us after this period of "sleep". Which is just how our own existence is. As above, so below.

posted on Dec, 20 2011 @ 12:00 PM
link   
reply to post by riley

The planet is paying for the whole "man has dominion over the earth" thing.. people are entitled to their views but the reality is we depend on nature to survive. We are at it's mercy so treating it with contempt isn't very logical.

"Logical"?

Reification (also known as concretism, or the fallacy of misplaced concreteness) is a fallacy of ambiguity, when an abstraction (abstract belief or hypothetical construct) is treated as if it were a concrete, real event, or physical entity.

Reification

You're giving concrete attributes to an abstract concept.

posted on Dec, 20 2011 @ 12:03 PM
link   

I am not being rude! You are claiming that Nature has no mind, and backing that up with an imaginary guy sitting on an imaginary throne who DOES have a mind?

I've seen you elsewhere, and asked you before: What is "not typical about your out of the closetness, Jesus Freak"? What brownie points or gold stars are you earning for dissing Nature and its abundance? Isn't it your opinion that "God" made the world? That world is known as "Nature"? And it is the Nature around us that provides all our needs??

You are using fiction to prove fiction. Silly.

I for one, am glad the days will be getting longer and once again fresh greenery will be joining us after this period of "sleep". Which is just how our own existence is. As above, so below.

"Nature" is an abstract concept. It's a name we give to the sequence of events we witness in the universe. Nature has no mind, nature cannot think. Since "nature" is an abstraction, giving it concrete attributes is quite irrational and illogical.

posted on Dec, 20 2011 @ 12:04 PM
link   

Because "nature" is not a physical entity. "Nature" has no brain. It's a fallacy of reification to ascribe personal qualities to an impersonal concept.

really???? OK, here is a link for you. Its not in your bible......but dictionaries are generally considered to be fact.

dictionary.reference.com...

posted on Dec, 20 2011 @ 12:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by vogon42

really???? OK, here is a link for you. Its not in your bible......but dictionaries are generally considered to be fact.

dictionary.reference.com...

This is a subcategory of the fallacy of ambiguity and it’s also known as the Bait-and-Switch. This is committed when a person attributes a concrete and often personal characteristic to a conceptual abstraction. Reification is perfectly acceptable in poetry, but should not be used in logical argumentation because it is ambiguous and can obscure important issues. Evolutionists frequently commit this fallacy, particularly with the concepts of nature, evolution, evidence, and science.

Example 1: “It’s not nice to fool Mother Nature“. Nature is a concept, a name we give to the sum total of the sequence of events in the universe. Nature cannot be “fooled” as if it had a mind.

Reification

posted on Dec, 20 2011 @ 12:13 PM
link   

God provides all those. "Nature" is not a physical entity, "nature" has no brain therefore can provide nothing. "Nature" is a word we've come up with to describe God's creation.

Dude, you've got it bassackwards....sorry, but.....:

"Nature" provides all those. "God" is not a physical entity. "God" has no brain therefore can provide nothing. "God" is a word we've come up with to describe the creator of "Nature".

Nature is not a physical entity?? It's what I put in my mouth, walk about upon, breathe the atmosphere of, and the source of the water that sustains my life.
God has no brain....God is a life force....not a person. And you're irritating God with your obstinacy and dismissing of the marvelous place on which we live.

GOD IS AN ABSTRACT CONCEPT.

posted on Dec, 20 2011 @ 12:16 PM
link   
NOTurTypical.

Nature is not competing with your God..

You are being very hostile and taking this very personally (even though you are adament that nature can't be personified). If the concept of being grateful to nature offends you perhaps you should express that anger elsewhere.

My intention was for this to be a positive thread not a debate thread please do not trash it.

posted on Dec, 20 2011 @ 12:18 PM
link   

edit on 20-12-2011 by vogon42 because: sorry, a bit less than polite - removed for that reason

posted on Dec, 20 2011 @ 12:20 PM
link   
reply to post by riley

Riley, I found it to be a very positive thought, and much appreciated. All the joys of knowing our world will once again be renewed...and brightest blessings to you!

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join