It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Happy Solstice!

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 20 2011 @ 03:55 PM
link   
reply to post by NOTurTypical

Because God would not be an abstract concept. God would have a mind, therefore He could provide for us.

He "would"? You mean if "He" was as you imagine "Him" to be? He "would" have a mind, therefore.....

...but your "God" is an abstract concept...and abstract concepts are ideas. They are not physical entities here providing for us.

edit on 20-12-2011 by wildtimes because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 20 2011 @ 04:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by wildtimes
reply to post by lonewolf19792000

Because in our faith Nature is nothing more than a tool to God.

This is an idea, not a proven fact.
One cannot say "it's true because that is our faith". That is not "how" you "know" it. That is "why" you "think" it.

I said in our faith, this is what we believe. Knowledge is relative to the person that believes in it. Capernicus and Galileo had alot to say about our solar system 400-500 years ago, but no one believed them, so their "knowledge" was considered wrong by the "learned" men of the times. You can "know" whatever you want to think you know, it's what you believe is what counts. Science has alot to say nowadays about alot of things, and much of it is correct, but there are things science cannot explain like spirits and ghosts and "demons" (of which i have had alot of experience with as i am a paranormal researcher and have experienced things science cannot explain nor any amount of debunking) and people can believe in science so to them it is considered fact because they believe it.

All these people have done is swapped gods from believing in a god they cannot see to a carnal god they can see, the god of science who tells them whatever they wish to hear. People worship science as hard as any believer in God worships him. How do you worship science? By dedicating your time for the pursuit of knowledge that can be obtained from science. All you have done in the end is switch gods and you can deny this all you want but it is true nonetheless.

The things you persue the most is your god. For some they persue money, and that is their god. For others they persue sex or drugs, and this is their god and others still they persue science and it is their god. What you put before the one true God, is your god because you put it before him.
edit on 20-12-2011 by lonewolf19792000 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 20 2011 @ 04:08 PM
link   
reply to post by lonewolf19792000

All you have done in the end is switch gods and you can deny this all you want but it is true nonetheless.

I worship neither. And I would love to hear about your paranormal research and experience!! See... I keep my mind open, and embrace those theories and concepts that seem to "clarify" my own Earthly experience. I don't wish to be misunderstood here.

I, too, have had paranormal experiences, and in fact, just this morning was investigating the online info re NDEs and coma-awakeners.

I find it is fairly comfy to have faith in both an infinite one-ness AND the idea that nature is a "being" of her own.

You, also, seem to be an articulate person (although your avatar belies your "faith" as offered in this thread)...

So, do you agree it is possible that "Nature" is a living, breathing force? Not just a "tool" of some imagined "guy" sitting on a throne in the clouds?

posted on Dec, 20 2011 @ 04:29 PM
link   

The Church says that the Earth is flat, but I know that it is round. For I have seen the shadow of the earth on the moon and I have more faith in the Shadow than in the Church.

This quote (above) is attributed to Magellan from the 13th century....and apparently that attribution is mistaken. But, it does give one pause to think about what the "church" says, and what is evident to those of us living here...

Happy solstice everyone! We're headed for Earthly Spring! (in the northern hemisphere)...

posted on Dec, 20 2011 @ 05:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by NOTurTypical

Originally posted by riley
..a holiday to celebrate the changing seasons, nature and what it provides for us.

[/qu

Reification fallacy. "Nature" has no mind therefore cannot "provide" anything whatsoever.

An orange is full of vitimin C. If you eat an orange you get vitimin C, provided by the orange. Sheesh why do people have to over think everything.

posted on Dec, 20 2011 @ 05:29 PM
link   

You;re going to throw God into the mix when you just spouted all those laws of physics and the dead planet that exists by some freak accident in the physical world. You call God after that?

posted on Dec, 20 2011 @ 05:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by vogon42

Because "nature" is not a physical entity. "Nature" has no brain. It's a fallacy of reification to ascribe personal qualities to an impersonal concept.

really???? OK, here is a link for you. Its not in your bible......but dictionaries are generally considered to be fact.

dictionary.reference.com...

This is a subcategory of the fallacy of ambiguity and it’s also known as the Bait-and-Switch. This is committed when a person attributes a concrete and often personal characteristic to a conceptual abstraction. Reification is perfectly acceptable in poetry, but should not be used in logical argumentation because it is ambiguous and can obscure important issues. Evolutionists frequently commit this fallacy, particularly with the concepts of nature, evolution, evidence, and science.

Example 1: “It’s not nice to fool Mother Nature“. Nature is a concept, a name we give to the sum total of the sequence of events in the universe. Nature cannot be “fooled” as if it had a mind.

Reification

Holy hyjack the entire thread why dont cha?
I thought this was supposed to be about the Solstice. Wasnt that the title or something?

posted on Dec, 20 2011 @ 05:43 PM
link   
In flaming spite of some dogmatic minded folk and in love of the season of Yule and Solstice, Merry Meet and Happy Wonderful Solstice to you and yours, friends! My karma ran over their dogma long ago, and they still have the nerve to say I'm feeding the darned thing.... go figure!

posted on Dec, 20 2011 @ 05:45 PM
link   

I think we have a bitter Christian here.

link   
reply to post by riley

hi riley!

I haven't seen you for ages...

good to see you posting... and ... Happy Solstice to you too! Nat

link   
reply to post by WarminIndy

And that changes the fact that nature provides...how?

posted on Dec, 20 2011 @ 06:03 PM
link   

Its funny how gods were once just names for the weather etc.Basically,if you religious you basically worshipping nature anyway because we all know that the Christian god is a.....lets say rip off...of many other gods who were associated with weather/

posted on Dec, 20 2011 @ 06:34 PM
link   
And Happy Holidays to everyone on this thread.

posted on Dec, 20 2011 @ 07:30 PM
link   
Happy Solstice guys!

posted on Dec, 20 2011 @ 08:01 PM
link   

..a holiday to celebrate the changing seasons, nature and what it provides for us.

and a happy solstice to you riley - it's one of my favorite days - along with the summer solstice

so nice to celebrate these simple, beautiful things - thanks

imagine extra stars :-)

posted on Dec, 20 2011 @ 08:12 PM
link   

reply to post by riley

Reification (also known as concretism, or the fallacy of misplaced concreteness) is a fallacy of ambiguity, when an abstraction (abstract belief or hypothetical construct) is treated as if it were a concrete, real event, or physical entity.

Reification

You're giving concrete attributes to an abstract concept.

that's it - you've forced me to use an actual, store bought emoticon:

oh, words! I love words too - here's one:

Apotheosis (from Greek ἀποθέωσις from ἀποθεοῦν, apotheoun "to deify"; in Latin deificatio "making divine") is the glorification of a subject to divine level. The term has meanings in theology, where it refers to a belief, and in art, where it refers to a genre.

In theology, the term apotheosis refers to the idea that an individual has been raised to godlike stature. In art, the term refers to the treatment of any subject (a figure, group, locale, motif, convention or melody) in a particularly grand or exalted manner.
en.wikipedia.org...

riley was just wishing us all a happy solstice...

happy solstice to you NOTurTypical

:-)
edit on 12/20/2011 by Spiramirabilis because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 20 2011 @ 08:16 PM
link   

Reification fallacy. "Nature" has no mind therefore cannot "provide" anything whatsoever.

Nature provides EVERYTHING for us. We are just too busy trying to kill, rape and ravage the earth to care.

posted on Dec, 20 2011 @ 10:40 PM
link   
reply to post by riley

A happy solstice to you, too, riley, and humble thanks to mindless nature for her abundant, unthinking provision.

posted on Dec, 20 2011 @ 11:19 PM
link   

reply to post by riley

NOTurTypical.

Nature is not competing with your God..

Of course nature is not competing with God. Nature would need a mind to be able to compete. That's the point I've been making, nature is an abstract concept it's impossible for it to compete with anything.

Please pipe down. You're not being intelligent or engaging in meaningful debate - you're simply trolling. You're a language-nazi at best, and not a very good one, considering your comprehension is elementary and you're misconstruing figurative language as being literal

There's nothing fallacious in using figurative language

Try again

posted on Dec, 20 2011 @ 11:20 PM
link   

Even if I were an Atheist it would still be a huge fallacy to speak of nature as a physical personal entity.

No it wouldn't.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join