It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Happy Solstice!

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 20 2011 @ 11:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by NOTurTypical

Originally posted by riley
..a holiday to celebrate the changing seasons, nature and what it provides for us.

Reification fallacy. "Nature" has no mind therefore cannot "provide" anything whatsoever.

Arbitrary. Perhaps defined by your perceptions does "Nature" not have a "Mind". Please consider the definitions and parameters of what "Nature" and "Mind" are.

Naturally mind your reflections.

Oh, happy Solstice. Short be the days here in the top half.
edit on 21-12-2011 by xacto because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 21 2011 @ 12:03 AM
link   
reply to post by NOTurTypical

Why dont you go away...geesh
Its a HOLIDAY. Show some respect for other humans Mr. Judgmental pompous,,,,,,,,why do some people get a thrill out of ruining other peoples joy?

OH by the way, Blessed Be Everyone! Have a Most Wondrous Winter Solstice !!

posted on Dec, 21 2011 @ 12:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by NOTurTypical

..a holiday to celebrate the changing seasons, nature and what it provides for us.

Reification fallacy. "Nature" has no mind therefore cannot "provide" anything whatsoever.

It must be embarrassing to be so blind. Aren't you tired of spewing anti-intellectual junk all the time?

Happy Solstice to all and to all a good night. Hope your Pagan Yule trees are all lit up real nice
edit on 21-12-2011 by Hawking because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 21 2011 @ 12:19 AM
link   
Haven't we gotten a little off track from finding beauty in Winter's sleep and gratitude for the gifts that come to us via the earth. A new year is starting, a good time to cleanse our hearts and start afresh.

Please don't get upset with NOTurTypical's argument. He's looking at things literally, that you are looking at in a different way. I suspect his heart is good, he just put on the wrong glasses, you won't see eye to eye.

posted on Dec, 21 2011 @ 12:30 AM
link   
reply to post by charles1952

Here, here. Relaxation and purification in these holiday times, I wish for you all.

posted on Dec, 21 2011 @ 12:30 AM
link   
double post.

posted on Dec, 21 2011 @ 12:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by Viking9019
reply to post by WarminIndy

And that changes the fact that nature provides...how?

Nature does not provide, the laws of physics provides. It is not random, it is a created order. The fact that trees bear fruit means simply that, trees are designed to bear fruit, that fruit has seeds or some other mechanism to replicate itself and make another tree.

An orange, a deer, a fish, they may be beautiful and helpful but did not just happen and did not happen by itself. No tree said to itself "people are going to one day want to eat my fruit, so I must make something to provide for them". I think that still takes on a very humanistic arrogance, to say "All this stuff Nature provides, she provided it for me because I am a human and at the top of the food chain". What put humans at the top? When there was a time, according to science, that humans apparently did not believe in God, they did not worship nature either.

They did believe in divine beings and created images of them. But you would think Noah would be venerated among Naturists, he did attempt to save animals by taking them on the Ark. The concept of nature worship is not really as ancient as what people want to believe. The Solstice is still a result of gravity. There is no mystery, and when people worship on the Solstice, they are merely giving credence to the truth of an ordered set of physical laws created by a Causer.

posted on Dec, 21 2011 @ 12:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by Starwise
reply to post by NOTurTypical

Why dont you go away...geesh
Its a HOLIDAY. Show some respect for other humans Mr. Judgmental pompous,,,,,,,,why do some people get a thrill out of ruining other peoples joy?

I suspect they want to maintain a monopoly on the date and fear it being reclaimed or redifined.

OH by the way, Blessed Be Everyone! Have a Most Wondrous Winter Solstice !!

Right back at ya.

edit on 21-12-2011 by riley because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 21 2011 @ 12:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by charles1952
Haven't we gotten a little off track from finding beauty in Winter's sleep and gratitude for the gifts that come to us via the earth. A new year is starting, a good time to cleanse our hearts and start afresh.

Thats a lovely sentiment.. better to see it as a fresh start than a finnish line.

posted on Dec, 21 2011 @ 01:25 PM
link   

... finding beauty in Winter's sleep and gratitude for the gifts that come to us via the earth. A new year is starting, a good time to cleanse our hearts and start afresh.

I love this idea and a happy Winter Solstice celebration to those who wish to embrace it.

posted on Dec, 21 2011 @ 03:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by charles1952

Thats a lovely sentiment.. better to see it as a fresh start than a finnish line.

Why does the new year start on the Winter Solstice and not say, Spring Solstice? What rules were set down that defines this as a new year? Is it because it is the longest night?

I just don't understand what makes it so special if it can really be only celebrated north. Well, at the opposite time of the year, those south of the equator can celebrate. It makes it seem to me this night can really only be localized and dependent on what happens north of the equator.

It's kind of like Santa Claus, he is supposed to come down chimneys to deliver gifts and he has a reindeer with a sled and the iconic images of him is with snow. That imagery makes no sense to Pacific Islanders and African nations who don't get snow. And it especially makes no sense to children who live in houses with no chimneys, or they live in mud and straw huts. I am merely asking you to look at that from this point of view, if the concept is universal, then the iconography must make it so. In this case, the iconography does not address anything other than what appears to those in the Northern Hemisphere.

Winter Solstice is not universal and certainly does not occur on other planets. It is something that can only be appreciated by those in the Northern Hemisphere.

posted on Dec, 21 2011 @ 03:55 PM
link   
But after my last post, I hope it turns out to be a very good evening for you all and I hope you are prepared for the long winter ahead.

posted on Dec, 21 2011 @ 04:27 PM
link   

Winter Solstice is not universal and certainly does not occur on other planets.

What? Why would it not occur on other planets?

posted on Dec, 21 2011 @ 10:06 PM
link   
..and happy Summer Solstice to all the aussies and their neighbours.

edit on 21-12-2011 by riley because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 22 2011 @ 02:09 AM
link   

Hail Fellow, Well Met,

Happy Solstice,

posted on Dec, 22 2011 @ 06:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by wildtimes

Winter Solstice is not universal and certainly does not occur on other planets.

What? Why would it not occur on other planets?

Could you imagine a solstice on Jupiter? That would be how long of a winter. Wow.

posted on Dec, 22 2011 @ 07:52 AM
link   

Nope, I can't. Some years back a friend invited me to move to Alaska permanently. I said "thanks, but no." Had I been in my 20s still, I'd have jumped at the chance. Now, though, I require light, every day, and I'm not so keen on bitter cold anymore either...(though back in my 20s I was a ski bum and lived a stone's throw from the continental divide in Colorado).

But months of dark? Nah....so, yeah, I'll pass on the Jupiter solstice. But thanks...and I'm content enough to be on our little blue panet anyway.

Here's to collective earthly vibes as we witness the sun's revival yet again...

posted on Dec, 22 2011 @ 10:32 AM
link   
reply to post by riley

No thanks. I celebrate this holiday for our Saviors Jesus' Christ birth. Not the changing of seasons or any other thing.

posted on Dec, 22 2011 @ 11:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by RevelationGeneration
reply to post by riley

No thanks. I celebrate this holiday for our Saviors Jesus' Christ birth. Not the changing of seasons or any other thing.

Then why did christianity steal this holiday from the old religion? You don't know the true roots of what you celebrate.

Anyway.....
Happy SOLSTICE !

posted on Dec, 22 2011 @ 11:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by RevelationGeneration
reply to post by riley

Jesus wasn't born in December; someone as devout as you should know this form reading your Bible.

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join