It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Who's viewing stuff function?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 12 2011 @ 05:09 PM
link   
Anybody know if there are any plans to make a who's viewing your post section?

Well, ok it doesn't have to list the actual screennames b/c I know many members on here hate monitoring, but...It would be interesting to see how many people read each post and things. Maybe have a tally number on one side of the screen. Stars and flags are still good, but that's done manually. Many social networks have this function already. Just wondering.

posted on Dec, 12 2011 @ 05:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by jjf3rd77

I know many members on here hate monitoring, but...

NO.

posted on Dec, 12 2011 @ 05:21 PM
link   
I'd be OK with a hit counter on an OP page. Think it would be cool to see how many people actually read a thread.

posted on Dec, 12 2011 @ 06:21 PM
link   
reply to post by Domo1

Yea I don't think it would be that difficult to implement either. Even most basic sites have a tally on the bottom.

posted on Dec, 12 2011 @ 06:25 PM
link   
I could back this as long as it only shows the number of views. I've made many threads that received very little attention, from the replies at least. It would be interesting to know how many people actually viewed them.

posted on Dec, 12 2011 @ 06:27 PM
link   
It used to be here.
Apparently it turned into a colossal PIA to implement as ATS became more popular.
www.abovetopsecret.com...
edit on 12/12/2011 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 12 2011 @ 07:35 PM
link   
I don’t want anyone knowing what I read on here or what posts im following without commenting.
I don’t care if the mods can see where I am at any time, because I trust the owner’s judgment by choosing the mods.
But for Jo blow to see, I don’t think so. I’d have to read the posts without logging in.

love and harmony
Whateva

posted on Dec, 12 2011 @ 07:37 PM
link   
reply to post by Phage

Tallying each individual hit on a thread (views) was originally disabled because of the amount of traffic we receive, and the resulting performance hit of writing to the database each time a thread is simply viewed. Some time later, I experimented with returning the view tally soon after we upgraded our database to the monster 16-core solid-state drive super-hero database hardware we're now running. I'm not going to revive the view-tally as it would now be irrelevant and not reflective of any meaningful number. In most cases, new threads were receiving two to three times the views from automated bots and search engine spiders than actual humans... making the tally all but meaningless as a measure of how many "people" are looking at a thread.

Well there ya go.

posted on Dec, 12 2011 @ 07:48 PM
link   
I agree that "bots" and "spiders" do a lot of indexing behind the scenes, cataloging content for search engines, and the only way to circumvent that would be to have ATS as an isolated community, with no outside linking. That is not desirable, however it could be possible.
----------
I found my way to ATS from research I was doing for a co-worker from an email he received. That's not the thread I found, but it's the same image. The critter was supposedly spotted in Ohio.

I joined the same day.
---------
We can't be an isolated site, separated from the inter-webs. That's silly.

We can't do without "bots" and "spiders", as ATS is ad-based. That's silly too.

This is a conspiracy site, and 90% of us are paranoid for one reason or another. Anonymity is the greatest feature here. I read far more content than I comment on here, and to have my UN posted when I visit a thread unsettles me. If I want you to know I have read a thread, I WILL post a comment. Otherwise, I read, a lot, and move along.

Something like a "footprint" or a "counter" is logistically unfeasible. It's plain silly, given the very nature of ATS. Not only silly, but a complete nightmare. You'd have to re-write the proprietary code from scratch, right, SO?

Being anonymous is important to me. I don't need a little counter. I have flags and stars, and post counts, and watts, and karma. The little counter would only serve to feed egos, another unneeded stat, because after a few thousand posts your counter would probably read in the hundreds of thousands. Maybe millions. It could never be a true indication of the content you provide as a member of ATS, nor would it truly indicate how many people actually have visited your thread. The best indication of quality content is the star and flag count.

Our peers create the content alongside us, and we also determine what we like. It's skewed, I know, but it is what it is.

top topics

join