It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What does science ultimately hope to accomplish?

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 12 2011 @ 08:03 AM
link   
Science ultimately hopes to accomplish the acquisition of absolute knowledge about organisms, molecules, motion and behaviour through the use of empirical methods in order to establish objective facts.

posted on Dec, 12 2011 @ 10:14 AM
link   
The Goal of science, that which is suppressed, and has already been reached, held by the few of the elite, is divinity... To control all, space and time, expanded throughout the cosmos and dimensions of the infinities of reality. To finally understand, and know all... To bring consciousness to the brink of the end and to rebirth it towards infinity once more.

posted on Dec, 12 2011 @ 10:55 AM
link   
To get from point a, to point 189150819508i15908158150810510-92-2-11212124-1241-6863-1 b, on the otherside of the solar system and establish colonies.

Time and space travel is pretty much the aim i believe

posted on Dec, 12 2011 @ 11:34 AM
link   
I'm really surprised you don't have more S & F's, as it's a really good question

My two cents,,,,,

As we were created, so we create. It is science that gave rise to us in the first place. As you stated in one of your posts,,,THERE MUST BE AN ORIGINAL OBSERVER.

We could, and for all intents and purposes, be the result of an unimaginable science experiment, or simply, the by product of an accident.
Science seeks to simplify that which is infinitely complex. So to that end,,,, there IS NO END to the inquisitive nature of science,,,as one poster also stated.
In the end, science will be our undoing. Having the intelligence of our other-worldly "creators" and the savagery of our "earthly" ancestors,,,,,we will use science to kill ourselves IMHO

posted on Dec, 12 2011 @ 11:43 AM
link   
Science hopes that we can achieve the accomplishment that ends the need for more accomplishments, to reach the pinnacle of human potential, to be the human civilization.

posted on Dec, 12 2011 @ 12:25 PM
link   
To manifest a human being was not a human plan. Whatever created us, whether it was a natural process or something more divine, had a need for our scientific curiosity that drives us to objectively identify the universe that we live in. I think the answer to my question can be found by finding out why we were created. That is an ancient philosophical question that no one still has an appropriate answer to.

It should be apparent that the universe had some need for human kind. So given the fact that we were created to ask questions implies that the universe needed to know about itself (among other things). So that is why, in my opinion, science is a tool for us to figure out what we are and that to figure out what you are or what the universe is is the highest intellectual achievment.

But, I think the question of what we are can't be answered without knowing how we came about. When you look at components of our universe and ask, "What is this?" you have to ask yourself, "What kind of mysterious cosmic circumstances had to occur to bring this all about?"

Here's a good thread to show you what point I'm getting at:
www.abovetopsecret.com...

edit on 12-12-2011 by smithjustinb because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 12 2011 @ 12:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by Domo1
I really like that you asked this question OP. I suppose understanding. Why we are here and what not. Also to improve our lives by infusing bacon into everything.

Domo oregato, Domo! Here's yer star.
Other than finding more efficient ways of erasing our presence from the Earth,
I'm with you and the blond Fireman. In fact, I just finished a breakfast two hours
ago with some heel of hog shoulder instead of fatback. There was a chunk of quite
inedible control tissue too close to the bone I removed it from, and plopped the
remnant into my ashtray--- evidently close enough to let the wonderful thick
swine essence fluid WICK into the filter of the M-boro extended and interrupted
luxury length butt. Imagine my pleasant surprise finishing breakfast with a
BACON FLAVORED M-boro king. It burned a little quick, but did it smell GREAT.
Also glad it wasn't a whole one... that's why it's called a treat instead of a meal.
I may just after this be compelled to fashion a clamp for the frying pan to hold the
cigarette filter a millimeter from the bottom, kind of like a drum rim clamp for
microphones-- only smaller and tastier.
God I can't wait, you with me on this one Dennis?! Didn't think so

posted on Dec, 12 2011 @ 12:45 PM
link   
Science isn't an entity with purposes or drives. It is a tool at the mercy of those who use it.

Science also has no absolutes, only theories and laws that work MOST OF THE TIME. If you know anything about irrational numbers and imaginary numbers you know they rule the world of physics. Thus science can only approach close estimations.

posted on Dec, 12 2011 @ 01:05 PM
link   
Science isn't a religion or even a collective with a unified goal. Its a method. A method for reliably finding answers to questions.

There are as many different questions as there are scientists. Everybody asks why why why as children. At some point the parent will say 'just because'. Religion is for those who are content to stop there. God is the adult version of 'just because'. Science is for those of us who keep asking why.

We'll keep on pulling on the threads of the universe until we run out of universe or we breed the curiosity out of our genetic make up.

posted on Dec, 12 2011 @ 01:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by Domo1
I really like that you asked this question OP. I suppose understanding. Why we are here and what not. Also to improve our lives by infusing bacon into everything.

Yes essentially... understaning of everything in the Universe...

and understanding of more bacon based foods.
edit on 12-12-2011 by GonzoSinister because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 12 2011 @ 01:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by vardlokkur
Science isn't an entity with purposes or drives. It is a tool at the mercy of those who use it.

It is a tool at the mercy of entities with purposes and drives. Therefore, to figure out what we ultimately hope to accomplish by utilizing that tool, we have to find out what we are being driven towards. The destination is one of uncertainty, but I do believe there exists somewhere in this universe ones who know. I believe there is a specific purpose for us having been created. I believe the purpose preceded our manifestation. Therefore, I believe what we hope to accomplish isn't what we hope to accomplish but is what our creator (whatever that is) hopes to accomplish.

So the question gets rephrased, "What does our creator ultimately hope to accomplish?" Now it seems that the answer to that ancient philosophical question is the same answer to the question, "What do we ultimately hope to accomplish?" So I guess the answer to the question is truly, "Whatever we want."

But since we didn't choose our forms and how our forms operate can we really say that when we do what we want we are actually doing what WE want? Aren't we the tools? I think so. I feel like I'm rambling now.

posted on Dec, 12 2011 @ 01:22 PM
link   
Short answer..... the unified field theory and why mankind is here, and what is our purpose.

posted on Dec, 12 2011 @ 02:10 PM
link   
Immortality in my opinion. It has been the focus of esoteric societies for thousands of years... the "ancient hope" preceding "a new world order" in Regan's speech. They are getting closer, thus concepts for movies like Immortals, in time, and Voldemort in Harry Potter "only I can live forever"

posted on Dec, 12 2011 @ 03:44 PM
link   
reply to post by smithjustinb

The goal of science is ultimately to create a successor to mankind, obviously

posted on Dec, 12 2011 @ 05:32 PM
link   
I suppose Science is only ever a reflection on what we know at any one time, looking beyond it in every conceivable way...always walking to the horizon

posted on Dec, 12 2011 @ 05:36 PM
link   

To obtain Warp drives, Cloaking devices and Replicators..

...oh and a Transporter device..

Cosmic..
edit on 12-12-2011 by Cosmic4life because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 12 2011 @ 09:03 PM
link   
Whatever science is, its not hoping for free energy.
But I am.
Since science is controlled, why should it hope cause it can't.
Free energy science is well understood by now and any public visage is being
systematically taken away and hidden.

posted on Dec, 12 2011 @ 09:07 PM
link   
Humans thrive for the understanding of knowledge.
That is all there is to it. We thrive to understand.

posted on Dec, 13 2011 @ 02:33 PM
link   

In some ways this is a tough question, and in others it is simple. I believe that science is simply a tool by which ALL mankind learns about the world around us. It is not limited to the behavior of odd chaps in labs and offices and research centres the world over after all. Cooking is scientific, painting walls , making bricks, manipulation of metal, building bridges and houses... it all involves science, from particle accelerators to apples and pancakes.

Lets start way back in human histories least traveled and least understood period. It is said that tens of thousands of years ago, the first signs that humans were capable of certain medical proceedures began to come through in the evidence collected from various locations in the world. Stitching or sealing of wounds, the use of sharp implements to assist in the removal of objects from the body after a fall, such as large spikes of rock for example. Rudimentary by our standards, but fairly sophisticated by the standards we USED to apply to our nearly caveman ancestors.

Perhaps medicine is the route by which the aims of science are to be most clearly understood, and recognised. You see, looking after the human body is a science. We are in essence a biological machine, and like any machine we have parts, and consume fuels. Sometimes a part fails, and sometimes the fuel mix is not as good as it ought to be. Thats where science comes in.

When a heart fails, science can step in and say "well, I have another one right here, and if Im out, we will just put you on this machine for a bit till we get a new one for you." Oh sure its a hell of a lot more difficult, and theres way more paperwork than I have intimated, but thats largely beside the point in terms of what we are talking about here.

Better yet, medics and doctors can help a person maintain a healthy lifestyle, because they can ascertain the best situation for an individuals body to be in, wether they are weak of heart, or lung, or wether they are in danger of aneurism.
So medicaly speaking, the aim of the science of medicine , is to discover the workings of the human body, in such detail as to be capable of repairng and preventing damage to it.

When medical proceedures first came into evidence amongst hominid creatures, they were a tool that helped us prevail where less capable beasts of the time could not. Medicine is probably one of the oldest sciences the human race knows of.

The other sciences have in thier own ways helped mankind survive also. Without homes to shelter in, without architectural physics in action, we would never have been capable of erecting a building worth a damn, or a castle or fortress. These things have been essential to the survival of the species in some circumstances throughout history. Physics continues to be a tool by which mankind may prosper in adversity, because it is physics which has the most to do with our capacity to leave our home planet and move among the stars in time to come, thus ensuring the species could go on, even if the planet gets eaten by the sun in some enormous solar explosion at the end of the suns life.

Without chemists we would wash our clothes in urine rather than washing powder, dye our clothes with bug guts and fruit juices rather than pigment mixes, we would wander around with constantly germ ridden hands, rather than give them a good clean with an anti bacterial, and it was things like this last which lead to massive plauges and outbreaks of what are now, extinct illnesses.

Science , in short, is a survival tool, a swiss army knife in a lifestyle. All humans do it, wether we think we do or not. Every child that learns how to work a door handle, or tie his laces, or ride a bike. Any person who learns why good dough rises, and bad dough doesnt. All of these things, and a billion more every day things humans do, are scientific, and our approach to life, is also. It is the means by which our species has survived to evolve into the dominant species on this planet, and by which it assures its continuity. Without science, without the scientific approach to life, our species would probably have never come to anything, certainly not the creatures we are today, or anything like them.

There has never been a time in history where a creature, recognisable as human in construction, had no science in his mind. Our capacity to think and reason to the level we are capable of is what seperates us from everything else on this Earth. It is as much a part of our evolutionary make up, as the tail bone. Unlike the tail bone however, it is still of great use.

Science has therefore, no aims of its own, but the aims of those who weild it, for it is nothing more than the oldest tool mankind has at his disposal.

posted on Dec, 13 2011 @ 02:47 PM
link   
To me I feel Science is just playing a catch up game. a game which it will never win or be equal to. Only get marginally close to the truth.

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join