It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What does science ultimately hope to accomplish?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 12 2011 @ 12:54 AM
link   
What is the goal of science? What do we ultimately hope to know and what do we ultimately hope to do with this knowledge and why?

It's a simple question with a complex answer. I just want to know what some of you here think the purpose of science is. After I get a few replies, I'll post my own opnion because I don't want to prematurely influence anyone else's opinion. I'll post all my replies in yellow.

also

I'm curious to know what you all think science's ultimate discovery would be and what kind of change you hope it would bring about.

I am amazed by the phenomena of life and how it all came about and where I think its going. Just the fact that we exist is awe-inspiring to me. I happened to notice that our species loves to objectively identify the components and the mechanisms that drive our reality that is much a part of us as we are of it. The questions is, after this phenomena of intelligent life arose, why was it programmed to embark on these endeavors and to what end?
edit on 12-12-2011 by smithjustinb because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 12 2011 @ 12:56 AM
link   
The only real goal of science is to learn, there really is no end game to it....

posted on Dec, 12 2011 @ 12:57 AM
link   
probably the same thing religion ultimately hopes to accomplish. understanding

posted on Dec, 12 2011 @ 12:58 AM
link   
reply to post by smithjustinb

Hi smith,

Yes, Life is awe-inspiring - everything we see on this earth is awe-inspiring.

Science needs to understand everything.

But Science will never understand the amazing fact of the creation.

That is my opinion.

posted on Dec, 12 2011 @ 01:00 AM
link   
All of it.

posted on Dec, 12 2011 @ 01:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by catwhoknowsplusone

Science will never understand the amazing fact of the creation.

That is my opinion.

science is the reason we have any comprehension of what creation entails.

it guides us into the conclusion that we have sprouted up naturally on a planet that is suitable for life.

what is there not to understand?

posted on Dec, 12 2011 @ 01:05 AM
link   
reply to post by yourmaker

Who created this planet?

Who knew that we belonged here? (Uh oh, back to the drawing board on that - these humans have completely effed up this planet - ok, let's give some aliens a go at it).

Scientists need to know everything and they never will - so sad.

posted on Dec, 12 2011 @ 01:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by jheated5
The only real goal of science is to learn, there really is no end game to it....

Do you not think that everything there is to know about our universe can and will be known? And when we have finally learned everything there is to know (if that is possible)... what then?

posted on Dec, 12 2011 @ 01:07 AM
link   
I really like that you asked this question OP. I suppose understanding. Why we are here and what not. Also to improve our lives by infusing bacon into everything.

posted on Dec, 12 2011 @ 01:08 AM
link   

reply to post by yourmaker

Who created this planet?

Who knew that we belonged here? (Uh oh, back to the drawing board on that - these humans have completely effed up this planet - ok, let's give some aliens a go at it).

Scientists need to know everything and they never will - so sad.

not who, but what? forces of nature, which we learned through the scientific method.

nothing knew that we would belong here. does a sandwich know it's perfect for mold?

people who believe in god will never be open to the prospect that we are in an endless universe with no timespan, working on an internal infinite energy source that will just churn on forever, creating more you's and me's for millenia.

posted on Dec, 12 2011 @ 01:08 AM
link   

We will never learn - even the basics, let alone the whole truth.

Humans desecrate and kill.

Not a path to learning.

posted on Dec, 12 2011 @ 01:10 AM
link   

I think it has a lot to do with understanding our origins and our purpose. It's all a giant reverse-engineering project, and our goal is to be able to understand, control and override all parts of the system.

I've always wondered, for example, what is beyond the edge of the universe? And if there are multiple universes, what defines the each of the container that holds these universes? And what is beyond that?

Once we have all the answers, what will be the purpose of life? I find life to be rather pointless.

posted on Dec, 12 2011 @ 01:11 AM
link   

Who created this planet?

No one did. It was created from incredible natural processes when our solar system was formed some 4.5 -5 billion years ago. "No one" created it.

Who knew that we belonged here? ...[snip]...Scientists need to know everything and they never will - so sad.

No one "knew" that we belonged here. The only indicator that we "belong" here is from our evolutionary history, where various aspects of our genetic code can be seen in other animals on this planet who have been around longer than us.

Science doesn't know everything - that's true. But it tries to explain the things we don't understand and will "change" its views based on the observations at hand. Unlike religion...
edit on 12-12-2011 by noonebutme because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 12 2011 @ 01:13 AM
link   
Reply to post by catwhoknowsplusone

FYI planets are not created.. They take form...

2nd

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on Dec, 12 2011 @ 01:19 AM
link   
reply to post by strafgod

They take form - from where or what?

For something to take form, there has to be a force - so where did that force come from?

If there was a vacuum, nothing would have taken force or shape. So there has to be a creator.

And where did that creator come from when there was only nothing?

It is enough to drive you nuts.

I majored in Philosophy at university, and no-one had the answers - and we never will.

posted on Dec, 12 2011 @ 01:19 AM
link   
reply to post by catwhoknowsplusone

We will never learn - even the basics, let alone the whole truth.

Truth? About...?

Humans desecrate and kill.

Ah yes, true true.

Not a path to learning.

I disagree. I think it was one of the most effective paths to learning.

Think about this. Ancient man(reall ancient) used to have to compete with other tribes and animals over resources. Birth of "war", right? But also, it put us in a position where we needed advantages.

"Sharpening rocks to make a knife. Putting it on a stick to make a spear. Throwing that to make a javelin."

You get the idea. It was a route to practical development. Innovation, as it were.

Competing has always been a solid motivator for advances in technology. Even more so when something valuable is on the line.

posted on Dec, 12 2011 @ 01:25 AM
link   
reply to post by catwhoknowsplusone

"and we never will"

You show your ignorance posting statements like that. Who are you to say we never will?

A sample of your arrogant statements:
"I majored in Philosophy at university, and no-one had the answers - and we never will."
"We will never learn - even the basics, let alone the whole truth. "
"But Science will never understand the amazing fact of the creation."
"Scientists need to know everything and they never will - so sad."

There is a wealth of information on how galaxies, stars and planets might be formed. We don't have the story locked-down yet, but we are getting close.

posted on Dec, 12 2011 @ 01:28 AM
link   

They take form - from where or what?

Planets take form from rocks and various other materials cooling down and coalescing.

For something to take form, there has to be a force - so where did that force come from?

Ever heard of a thing called gravity?

If there was a vacuum, nothing would have taken force or shape. So there has to be a creator.

Big bang theory. You should look it up sometime.

Your guess is as good as mine.

I majored in Philosophy at university, and no-one had the answers - and we never will.

Don't count your chickens before they hatch.

edit on 12/12/1111 by GR1ill3d because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 12 2011 @ 01:28 AM
link   

And why are you inferring there's a creator? Why must there be a creator? There is only a "creator" because you added that parameter to the equation when you don't actually know what the equation is.

Who knows, maybe 1000 years in the future our science and tech will have advanced to the point where we can.

posted on Dec, 12 2011 @ 01:32 AM
link   
reply to post by aromabarr

My 'arrogant statements' are my truth. It is not arrogant to tell the truth.

You are welcome to your own truth.

And I do not put you down. So maybe you should think before putting people down.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join