It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What does science ultimately hope to accomplish?

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 12 2011 @ 02:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by noonebutme

Originally posted by catwhoknowsplusone
You do not know what started the whole thing.
Neither does anyone else. And they never will
Funny, I always get attacked - maybe because what I say touches a nerve?

You're bringing in this notion that everything has a creator - and logically, rationally, it makes no sense.

everything has a creator, whether or not that creator is aware or not is the question though.

natural forces are a creator. god would be another. science aims to find which one is more logical though.
and by observing what we see in the day to day life around us, we are led to believe that it is natural.

posted on Dec, 12 2011 @ 02:09 AM
link   
reply to post by noonebutme

Please,

I have said, get your own belief.

Leave me alone with mine.

posted on Dec, 12 2011 @ 02:23 AM
link   
reply to post by smithjustinb

Dear smithjustinb,

What is the goal of science?

I am a Christian and my degrees are not directly in physical science. Having said that, I love scientific method. That is the heart of science, it is the search for greater understanding. I usually post in the theology threads as a Christian; but, I love the scientific method, it says keep asking questions, keep growing, keep learning and that is the essence of science, to keep trying to know more. Peace.

posted on Dec, 12 2011 @ 02:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by yourmaker

Originally posted by smithjustinb
I believe science is unconsciously or subconsciously looking for God. The scientists are too afraid of losing their credibility to admit this, but they know somewhere deep down inside that they are either looking for or hoping to develop the technology to become God.

god is not the end all be all.

it's a word for a concept that has yet to be identified by modern methods, whereas it was created by ancient thoughts

I agree that it is just a word that as you said does not properly identify what it is actually referring to. God is not something that can be understood by the puny human brain.

why does the realm of thinking revolve around a god?
especially since that idea was created by a much lower intelligence.

It is all about people's experiences. Divine things have been experienced by many many people throught all of recorded history. These claims either consciously or subconsciously influenced objective minded seekers to search for the nature of the divine. The divine is something that can only be experienced. Sure you can say that chemical A mixes with chemical B and induces an altered state of consciousness, and you can go as far as demeaning that altered state of consciousness as being a "hallucination", but knowing all those names and knowing the effect of their interactions is far from the convincing nature of the actual experience itself.

People see that the existence of life is something that deserves more respect than they are able to put into words. That's why people say there is a God. God is just a word to describe the indescribable nature of our origins. We are alive, so it must be too.

human minds aren't going to grasp the amazing concept of a universe with no beginning or end, in homeostasis for eternity, unless we see this place for what it is.
edit on 12-12-2011 by yourmaker because: (no reason given)

You're right about that.

edit on 12-12-2011 by smithjustinb because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 12 2011 @ 02:34 AM
link   
Science tries to create an "objectively" causally accurate picture of how the universe works.

Objective = when at least two of us agree we are perceiving the same measurements. Science uses measurements we all can potentially see for ourselves.

Discovering an objective picture of how the universe works from beginning to end means we scientists are not going to run out of work.

Since, by data, we now infer we can see back to the Big Bang, this implies we can describe the mechanics of creation, and deduce the fundamental geometry of our universe. The only limits on what science can explain are self imposed.

Peace be with you.

posted on Dec, 12 2011 @ 02:40 AM
link   
Topics like this makes me wonder....
The more we learn about science the more we realise how small and insignificant we are to the universe.

posted on Dec, 12 2011 @ 02:46 AM
link   

Dear smithjustinb

As the song goes.

Now it’s been 10,000 years,
and man has cried a billion tears,
for what he never knew,
now mans reign is through.

But In the twinkling of star light,
So very far away,
Maybe its only yesterday.

Religion thinks it has found god.

The boffins are looking for him.

posted on Dec, 12 2011 @ 02:53 AM
link   

Yet more crap.

Go and find your origins, and good luck.

posted on Dec, 12 2011 @ 02:58 AM
link   
reply to post by yourmaker

14 or so billion years ago, there was a massive explosion of unfathomable magnitude. Then, life happened. That's why there is a God. There is a God because there is life because God is the essence of life.

I can illustrate this very clearly.

Time is something that is arguably a product of observational interpretation and progress definitely is. So it can't be possible for the universe to have progressed into anything without the existence of a primal observer to mandate said progress. Since the emergence of the first life form was progression, then this implies that the so-called "inanimate" must have already been imbued with the essence of life. There's no other way for life to have emerged unless life always was. Life is progression. Progression cannot progress without being progression that is life. Therefore, the Earth cannot have given rise to life without first being alive.

The chicken came before the egg.

edit on 12-12-2011 by smithjustinb because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 12 2011 @ 02:59 AM
link   
"What does science hope to accomplish?" Destruction?! Atleast that is what we have accomplished without compromise. Just saying.

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on Dec, 12 2011 @ 03:04 AM
link   

In reply to all that crap,

I can only say, that is total crap - no-one is trying to help me.

I speak the truth, that is all I do. And people who speak the truth have a hard time on this planet,

posted on Dec, 12 2011 @ 03:13 AM
link   

In reply to all that crap,

I can only say, that is total crap - no-one is trying to help me.

I speak the truth, that is all I do. And people who speak the truth have a hard time on this planet,

It is at this point in time that I say to myself "This person is just trolling" I really hope this isn't the case. As everyone's opinion on the matter should be taken into consideration. I think you just don't word them right.

Part of the reason you aren't getting "Help" is because your are out right claiming what you say is nothing but the truth, and everyone else is wrong.

You should look at creation and evolution with an objective eye. Look at all the facts before making a decision on what is "Truth". That's what real scientists do and what everyone should do. Making blanket statements and putting up straw-man arguments makes you look foolish and arrogant.

posted on Dec, 12 2011 @ 03:20 AM
link   
Like I said,

If you have an idea that people hate, they come after you.

I have had a lot of people attacking me here.

So, here we are, people, and here I am.

With my belief.

posted on Dec, 12 2011 @ 03:30 AM
link   
reply to post by catwhoknowsplusone

If you have an idea that people hate, they come after you.

What was that idea again? Goddidit? Hey, listen, that idea has been around a while, a loooong time.

I have had a lot of people attacking me here.

Depends on how you define "a lot". I define it as anything more than ten.

So, here we are, people, and here I am.

Technically we are not "here" at all. To you, I am just a disembodied chunk of text existing in only 1's and 0's.

With my belief.

That's cute.

posted on Dec, 12 2011 @ 03:56 AM
link   

What if we found out and it didnt need god?
We already have, and it does not

@ catwhoknowsplusone Just because people disagree with you does not mean they hate you personally, stop being so immature.

posted on Dec, 12 2011 @ 04:15 AM
link   

Please,
I have said, get your own belief.
Leave me alone with mine.

I don't hate you, I don't dislike you. I simply do not agree with your belief and am questioning it. If you aren't prepared to have your belief questiones, then why are you even here, posting your opinion and speaking down to everyone about "their" concept of truth?

You act like some of these people on other threads that claim to be aliens, or prophets, or "indigo children" or whatever -- they announce some "great truth", give NO backing evidence or reason, simply their "belief" and then tell everyone who question's them, "Sorry, you simply don't know the truth". End of.

Honestly, unless you "engage" us more in "why" you think there is a creator, why you think the planet "had" to of been created, all this banter will seem like attacks on you.

It isn't.. but that's how you're perceiving it.

posted on Dec, 12 2011 @ 06:48 AM
link   
Since it is impossible to know everything that is knowable, the end goal is to have a workable theory of everything.

As for intelligent life, when a group is given the chance to be free-willed, and independent thinking, someone will inevitably ask the questions, "what am I?" and "why am I here?". These questions don't yet have an answer, and may never have a definitive answer, so people will search for an answer, even if only subconsciously..

posted on Dec, 12 2011 @ 07:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by yourmaker
everything has a creator, whether or not that creator is aware or not is the question though.

And you know that's not what I was referring to - it isn't the same context of 'creator' as to the post I was responding to.

Yes, forces are "creators" of things. But the post I was responding to was using the reference of "creator" as something intelligent, sentient and along the lines of a religious deity. As tho "God" created it all. Of which I disagree.

posted on Dec, 12 2011 @ 08:00 AM
link   

The ultimate goal of science is to explain the world around us, and the nature of reality, in terms we can understand.

simply, to know all that there is to know until no question will ever need to be asked.

That said, is sciences end goal to become "god"? No, but if there is a god, in the end, science will prove it.

posted on Dec, 12 2011 @ 08:01 AM
link   
I think it is a great idea for the one would made the post.
to wright his other post in yellow.

I think there is more than one goal of science.
one goal is to make life better for are selves.
from the fist stick we used as a weapon to the gun and beyond.
the gave to virtual reality.

and another goal is to find out about it all.
we have always had curiosity.
it drives us to look deeply in to things.

and their is something else that is a drive to make its self better.
to make it so it can adapt fast.
and to make its self the ultimate being.
more on that another time.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join