It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

If you find a wallet full of $,would you leave it there?

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 10 2011 @ 04:42 PM
link   
reply to post by diamondsmith

The correct thing would be to check it for identification and see if you can contact that person.
I would return it because I believe in karma,
When I was a child I found a small change purse with no ID and a $5.00 bill and some change. I split it with the friend who was with me at the time. There was just no way to find the owner.

posted on Dec, 10 2011 @ 04:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by karen61057

The correct thing would be to check it for identification and see if you can contact that person.
I would return it because I believe in karma,
When I was a child I found a small change purse with no ID and a $5.00 bill and some change. I split it with the friend who was with me at the time. There was just no way to find the owner.
I think is more important to contact the police because,in this way there will be no accusation of something missing from the wallet.

posted on Dec, 10 2011 @ 05:22 PM
link   
When I was young, I was cleaning the check stands of a grocery store at 5am --no one was around. As I was cleaning I noticed a bank bag. I looked inside and saw it was full of $20's. I estimated it to be around $5,000. I put the bag under the counter where the cashiers put their personal belongings and as I cleaned I thought about it.

Did someone see me pick it up? Is this a test by my manager? I know there's no cameras whatsoever so I'd be free and clear. What do I do? WHAT do I DO??

After about 10 minutes of fighting with myself, I turned the bag over to my manager. Now here's the sad part!

That was about 5am. A lady comes in at around 9:30am and asked if we found a bank bag. She was at 6 different places that morning and she had no idea where she left it and therefore no idea where she lost it. My manager gave the bag back to her and she was so happy that we had it --her job was safe and she wouldn't be accused of "losing" the bag. She also lost out on alot of other personal trouble --paying the money back, going to jail, etc. Also, what does it say about her that it takes her over 4 hours to realize she lost the bag? If only her company knew she wasn't ready to be trusted with whatever position she had with them.

Another sad part...

There was over $21,000 in the bag (I didn't look far enough into the bag for when those $20's turned into $50's apparently. AND, she didn't even reward me for turning the bag in! On top of that, she didn't even thank me. I literally save this woman's life --her Now Life and her Future Life and I got nothing from her.

In the end, I wasn't going to keep it anyway. I merely fantasized of finding a pot of gold, keeping it and having fun spending it. After I turned it in, those fantasies were replaced with realities of helping someone out, literally saving a person from years upon years of trouble and feeling good about it all in the end.

Was I foolish? I could have gotten away with it as no one --not even her, knew she left it at my store and much less, any of the checkstands I was cleaning. I could have REALLY cleaned house but instead, I kept us both clean.

posted on Dec, 10 2011 @ 05:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by diamondsmith

Originally posted by Viking9019
Everytime i find a wallet,whether money is inside it or not,i always had it in to the police.
How many did you find until now?

Over my life time i have found several purses and five of so wallets. One was in the middle of a busy road and the $$ were blowing around. I called the owners of all but one because the police in the front office may not be honest either and i returned them all..one I had to turn into the police as there was no address name or ID but there was money...weird I know.
They were all very grateful a couple elderly it is easy to lose things when you are older or ill.

I once paid in a store and left my wallet on the counter, ran back in and the girl said "I never saw it". All I had for the month was gone in an instant, I guess she felt like the guy above, I forgot it so i deserve to go without food while she enjoys my hard earned money!

posted on Dec, 10 2011 @ 05:28 PM
link   
reply to post by OneNationUnder

I bet the truth of the matter is that you will always regret what you did on tha day.
now will you admit it?

posted on Dec, 10 2011 @ 05:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by Bixxi3

Oh i think its very important! We might not be feeling the effects of the soon to be economical collapse but when we do trust me no one is going to be looking for the owner of a gold watch. If today a man found a wallet with $100 in it would you judge him harshly for taking the money? If the responses i'vr seen from other posters are any thing to go by i would say people would. But what if you found out he has 2 starving babies too feed and and keep warm? Would it then be ok? If so how can we just change what is right and wrong like that?
edit on 10-12-2011 by Bixxi3 because: (no reason given)

And how do you know the owner of the gold watch or money is not worse off then the guy with the starving kids? Maybe they have 7 starving kids!!
Not they made a mistake and dropped it so they don't deserve it back!!

You are totally wrong, decent people will not feel any different when times get harder because they know how they would feel if they lost the stuff and someone did not return it..it is called empathy and compassion!

posted on Dec, 10 2011 @ 05:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by charles1952
I read an interesting post in another thread yesterday. I won't tell you which thread or who wrote it. The author's position was that proper morality is whatever that ensures the survival of the human race.

I have seen other posts claiming that inequality of wealth is the world's biggest problem and could endanger human survival.

I know that many people don't have a wallet with lots of money it.

You see the conclusion?

That lots of money could be their house payment and without it they are out on the street.

posted on Dec, 10 2011 @ 05:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by JiggyPotamus
Even though this is a hypothetical question, I have a recent story I would like to relate. I was running my grandmother around to different places yesterday, and we stopped at Wal-Mart. After coming out of the store, I noticed a black woman, probably 18 +/- 3, who was on the ground of the parking lot...

She was crawling under a car near mine, and she gets up with an envelope and starts literally SCREAMING and going crazy about how she had found some money. An envelope full of money. I mean she had a crazy reaction, that was kinda scary to be honest. Anyway, she had an old lady with her, probably her grandmother, who told her that the money wasn't hers and that she should turn it in.

The lady kept going on about how this was HER money now, despite the older lady telling her she shouldn't keep it. Well, she DID keep it, as was evident by the way she protected it, got in the car, and drove away. For some reason, probably because that wasn't the right thing to do, it really pissed me off.

This was a Friday, which is payday for most, and I was just assuming that someone had gotten their paycheck cashed at the bank inside the store, and had the envelope in their hands along with their bags, and simply dropped it when entering their vehicle.

I was just thinking, and I wished I could have asked her, how she would feel if she lost a large sum of money. As well as does she realize that someone may not be able to even EAT now. Some may say that it is the person who dropped its fault, but that is wrong.

Anyway, my grandmother called one of her friends as I started up the car, and related the story to her. This other lady is one of those really nosy people, who gets involved in everything, and so she called the store. They said there was nothing they could do about it since she had already left, or something like that. Maybe they couldn't do anything about it at all.

I thought about going to the police, but I thought better of it, as no crime, to my knowledge, had been committed. Simply horrible judgement and a horrible mentality.

To answer your question, NO, I would NOT leave it there. I would take it home, lol. If it had an ID in it I would take it home until I could take it to the person. If there were no ID in the wallet I would take it to the police station and hope that someone came looking for it. If not, I believe the contents would be yours after a certain amount of time.

Do I need the money? Yep. But I wouldn't have taken it, even if I just found the wallet on the street, because it is the WRONG thing to do.

Actually i believe you are wrong, it is a crime to keep money or wallets or things you find. People just realize no one will know when they keep it.

posted on Dec, 10 2011 @ 05:42 PM
link   
Take all the cash
A man as careless as that probably deserved it.

posted on Dec, 10 2011 @ 05:43 PM
link   
Honestly, I would probably take the money if it did indeed have cash in it and try to return the wallet and it's remaining contents. Stuff like drivers licences and that are pain to replace.

posted on Dec, 10 2011 @ 05:59 PM
link   
I found a Louis Vuitton purse in the parking lot of a target. Had over $1,000 in cash in it, credit cards, cell phone, Jewelry, etc. I brought it inside and gave it to the manager of the target. The woman came by a little while later and apparently was grateful, or so the manager told me when he saw me next time.

I think most ignorant individuals would have just taken the cash and jewelry and dumped the purse.

posted on Dec, 10 2011 @ 06:12 PM
link   
I have a 50 dollar bill with a post-it note on it that says,

Keep this 50 dollars but please return the wallet and contents, no questions asked.

I lost my wallet at a bar a couple years ago and it was a total nightmare. I figure 50 dollars is a good finder fee and its well worth saving me the headache if it ever happens again.

posted on Dec, 10 2011 @ 06:35 PM
link   
After all these answers, a better question would be:

"If you found $1 million in a briefcase, would you try to return it?".

I think you'll see people's answers change. Returning $20 is easier on the conscience than your ticket to the easy life.

I for one would keep the Million. Not going to lie about it like the majority of these posters probably would.

posted on Dec, 10 2011 @ 06:58 PM
link   
I'm just throwing this out there...it is actually illegal to take it. There are good Samaritan laws in the U.S.

I actually witnessed a couple who left a purse with 100 dollars. It was the last of their money, and they barely had enough to get home. Someone took the money and left the purse. The couple came back and was S.O.L. Luckily, someone came by and gave them $25 to get home.

You could be stealing from someone who really, really needs it.

posted on Dec, 10 2011 @ 07:14 PM
link   
Finders keepers.

posted on Dec, 10 2011 @ 07:27 PM
link   

Simple. I'd take the money and leave the wallet. Not a big deal for me.

posted on Dec, 10 2011 @ 07:32 PM
link   
reply to post by ThirdMind

exactly if u are stupid enough to loose it
u didnt deserve to have it in the first place

posted on Dec, 10 2011 @ 08:19 PM
link   

If you find a wallet full of $,would you leave it there?

Like Steve Miller said "go on and take the money and run"

To tell the truth I would try to find info to make contact first then if no contact take it to the cops.

posted on Dec, 10 2011 @ 08:51 PM
link   

the universe has gifted me thousands of times in such a manner
finders keepers

now if somebody were to drop their wallet or money i'd swiftly grab it...
and hand it over to the person [usually a lady

the universe is sending me another kind of gift on such occasions

posted on Dec, 10 2011 @ 08:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by diamondsmith
To hand over to the police will be the best variant.

NOOO!!! they will steal the money to buy donuts!
edit on 10-12-2011 by DerepentLEstranger because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join