It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

If you find a wallet full of $,would you leave it there?

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 10 2011 @ 09:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by Taupin Desciple
If I found a wallet full of money (cash) in it, I'd have to question what year it is. Most people I know don't even carry cash anymore. It's all plastic.

To answer the question though, I would keep it and make every effort to find the owner myself. I'd post flyers at gas stations and the post office. I might even post something on Craigs List as well. Turning it over to anyone else who is in a position of authority doesn't mean much to me because they're people just like you and me and are prone to dishonesty when it comes to money.

At least I know I'M honest.

To hand over to the police will be the best variant.

posted on Dec, 10 2011 @ 10:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by diamondsmith

Originally posted by charles1952
I read an interesting post in another thread yesterday. I won't tell you which thread or who wrote it. The author's position was that proper morality is whatever that ensures the survival of the human race.

I have seen other posts claiming that inequality of wealth is the world's biggest problem and could endanger human survival.

I know that many people don't have a wallet with lots of money it.

You see the conclusion?
Sorry ,could you explain please?I didn't understood!

That's what I call an attitude.
I am glad,that you think before do something
Doesn't matter, how much money are there,the gesture is important!
Doesn't matter if is 100 or 10,000 is the same thing,honesty matter.

Diamondsmith, what's with your proverbial, fortune cookie one lines answers? Are you using a bot to run this thread, like you did yesterday, on "What if Sex Was Illegal?" When it was pointed out, the thread was 404'd.

Although this is a worthy discussion, it would be nice if it weren't some social experiment, and it was being hosted by a real person and not a bot!

edit on 10-12-2011 by windword because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 10 2011 @ 10:08 AM
link   

posted on Dec, 10 2011 @ 10:19 AM
link   
Dear diamondsmith,

Forgive me, I caused the confusion and suspected that I would. I did put a bit too much top spin on that one.

I was looking at various posts from ATSers recently and I saw some that seemed to apply here.

One was that the moral thing to do is whatever helps protect the human race and makes it more likely that humanity will survive.

Another post was that humanity is facing a global threat to survival and that threat is wealth inequality. We have to distribute wealth more evenly.

So combining those two you get the idea that wealth redistribution is the moral thing to do.

Well, wouldn't keeping someone else's money be wealth redistribution, especially if you really needed it? Then wouldn't it be the moral thing to do? So the right thing to do would be keeping the wallet and returning it would be immoral.

(Nota bene I do not accept that conclusion myself, it was partially a Devil's Advocate position, and partially a condemnation of the position taken by those ATSers I mentioned.)

With respect,
Charles1952

edit on 10-12-2011 by charles1952 because: Wrong addressee

posted on Dec, 10 2011 @ 10:21 AM
link   
Even though this is a hypothetical question, I have a recent story I would like to relate. I was running my grandmother around to different places yesterday, and we stopped at Wal-Mart. After coming out of the store, I noticed a black woman, probably 18 +/- 3, who was on the ground of the parking lot...

She was crawling under a car near mine, and she gets up with an envelope and starts literally SCREAMING and going crazy about how she had found some money. An envelope full of money. I mean she had a crazy reaction, that was kinda scary to be honest. Anyway, she had an old lady with her, probably her grandmother, who told her that the money wasn't hers and that she should turn it in.

The lady kept going on about how this was HER money now, despite the older lady telling her she shouldn't keep it. Well, she DID keep it, as was evident by the way she protected it, got in the car, and drove away. For some reason, probably because that wasn't the right thing to do, it really pissed me off.

This was a Friday, which is payday for most, and I was just assuming that someone had gotten their paycheck cashed at the bank inside the store, and had the envelope in their hands along with their bags, and simply dropped it when entering their vehicle.

I was just thinking, and I wished I could have asked her, how she would feel if she lost a large sum of money. As well as does she realize that someone may not be able to even EAT now. Some may say that it is the person who dropped its fault, but that is wrong.

Anyway, my grandmother called one of her friends as I started up the car, and related the story to her. This other lady is one of those really nosy people, who gets involved in everything, and so she called the store. They said there was nothing they could do about it since she had already left, or something like that. Maybe they couldn't do anything about it at all.

I thought about going to the police, but I thought better of it, as no crime, to my knowledge, had been committed. Simply horrible judgement and a horrible mentality.

To answer your question, NO, I would NOT leave it there. I would take it home, lol. If it had an ID in it I would take it home until I could take it to the person. If there were no ID in the wallet I would take it to the police station and hope that someone came looking for it. If not, I believe the contents would be yours after a certain amount of time.

Do I need the money? Yep. But I wouldn't have taken it, even if I just found the wallet on the street, because it is the WRONG thing to do.

posted on Dec, 10 2011 @ 10:28 AM
link   
reply to post by charles1952

No problem charles1952, a S&F from me.

posted on Dec, 10 2011 @ 10:29 AM
link   
reply to post by JiggyPotamus

Very good story JiggyPotamus,we all glad we hear it.

posted on Dec, 10 2011 @ 11:01 AM
link   
reply to post by windword

I hope windword,that your fury has gone,if return a wallet that you find in the street, then you won't harm a robot,wouldn't you!

posted on Dec, 10 2011 @ 11:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by Bixxi3
Depends how much money is in the wallet? These are hards times if someone is careless with there money then its a lesson they will learn.
Oh my God,how much money do you think a wallet could carry,and if it belong to an old poor lady....

posted on Dec, 10 2011 @ 11:12 AM
link   
Watched lady of a foursome , Korean lady golfers drop her purse on one of the fairways and keep walking away . Called to her that she dropped her purse and didn't touch it . Just pointed to it so that there could be no accusations of anything missing . Didn't get a thank you for telling her , but that wasn't required anyway .

posted on Dec, 10 2011 @ 11:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by watchdog8110
Watched lady of a foursome , Korean lady golfers drop her purse on one of the fairways and keep walking away . Called to her that she dropped her purse and didn't touch it . Just pointed to it so that there could be no accusations of anything missing . Didn't get a thank you for telling her , but that wasn't required anyway .
I was point my finger to 100 $ bill in a big mall but the guard didn't react ,nobody take it,that was before 2008!

posted on Dec, 10 2011 @ 11:30 AM
link   

posted on Dec, 10 2011 @ 11:35 AM
link   

posted on Dec, 10 2011 @ 11:41 AM
link   

posted on Dec, 10 2011 @ 11:46 AM
link   

posted on Dec, 10 2011 @ 11:50 AM
link   

posted on Dec, 10 2011 @ 11:54 AM
link