It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is US Minimum Wage really $7.25?

page: 27
<< 24  25  26    28  29  30 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 11 2011 @ 08:53 PM
link   
I think there should be a 100 year freeze on the minimum wage going up.

posted on Dec, 12 2011 @ 01:40 AM
link   
reply to post by ripcontrol

Huh?

posted on Dec, 12 2011 @ 01:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by warren3720

You should stop thinking.You will hurt yourself.

posted on Dec, 12 2011 @ 01:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by warren3720

I think they should burn people alive for missing church!

posted on Dec, 12 2011 @ 02:10 AM
link   
Unfortunately, it wasn't even $7.25 in all states until fairly recently. My first job (in 2004) paid $5.50/hr...I think the minimum wage here (Atlanta, GA) then was $5.15.

posted on Dec, 12 2011 @ 02:15 AM
link   
reply to post by xlb40

That must have took a while for an illiterate Fox News zombie like yourself to put together. Thanks for going to the effort.

Unions are being broken.That is the plan. Havent you seen any 'Special Reports' from John Stossel? ( I know you are a fan ). Not only is there a war on unions but there is a plan to sell off any remaining publicly owned assets. They want to sell the parks and the roads.They want to sell everything. Watch the news and you would know this.If you watched the news and payed just a little attention you might actually sound like you know what you are talking about.
I can tell that you are annoyed that you live in a country that has peaked. A country that is on the brink of collapse. And it annoys you that instead of "working your # off in college" you could have simply gone and gotten a heavy vehicle license and you would be worth more money. And it isnt just a few bus drivers in Milwaukee making the same money as you. I know alot of truckies that make that money.And none are union members. So you are in that compny. You are on the same level as a bus driver and a truckie. That is your company. But they are alot smarter than you are because they didnt waste time and money on college. Why bother when you can make that much with a heavy vehicle license?

If all you cared about was money you should have worked harder in college and chosen a more lucrative career path. Or maybe you shouls have opened a business like your parents that you talk about so much. Now they actually do make a decent amount of cash.

I know you think you are better than people but just know that there are bus drivers and truckies that look down on you.

posted on Dec, 12 2011 @ 03:21 AM
link   
reply to post by theovermensch

Wait, in one post you support unions, in another you admit that people make more money outside of them...

posted on Dec, 12 2011 @ 04:20 AM
link   
reply to post by steppenwolf86

I didnt admit anything.

I said that I know truck drivers that are not in unions that earn 6 figures.

posted on Dec, 12 2011 @ 04:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by steppenwolf86

Wait, in one post you support unions, in another you admit that people make more money outside of them...

I do support unions.

What the heck are you reading???

posted on Dec, 12 2011 @ 05:23 AM
link   

Thanks for making my point for me.

posted on Dec, 12 2011 @ 08:38 AM
link   

Thanks for making my point for me.

Actually I didnt. I was pointing out that to suggest that unions are the reason you could make that money with a heavy vehicle ticket is not true. I know people that earn that driving trucks that are not in a union.

Work on your comprehension
and try to keep track hey.

posted on Dec, 12 2011 @ 08:54 AM
link   

I had pointed out that a union in many cases will limit what a worker can earn, and you provided evidence for this point. Then you go on to say unions are a wonderful thing, hence my comment. Where am I lacking comprehension? And why so quick to insult?

posted on Dec, 12 2011 @ 09:37 AM
link   

I had pointed out that a union in many cases will limit what a worker can earn, and you provided evidence for this point. Then you go on to say unions are a wonderful thing, hence my comment. Where am I lacking comprehension? And why so quick to insult?

Where do I provide evidence of unions limiting what a worker can earn?

And what insult?

That was advice and encouragment.

Maybe you are getting confused because you are chipping from a conversation I am having with another member about how he thinks he is hot # because of the amount of money he earns and I am disagreeing pointing to Truck Drivers as a job that you can in some cases earn similar pay. In both union and non union jobs.

I am not suggesting there is anything wrong with being a truckie but am using it as an example because I assume the other member feels he is better than these people.

So I think that is why you are getting confused. Its because you are trying to meld your chipping into my converasion then link it back to earlier things that you have said in the thread. Im not surprised you cant keep track.

Hang in there.
edit on 12-12-2011 by theovermensch because: typo

posted on Dec, 12 2011 @ 10:14 AM
link   

Why are liberals a million times more arrogant, even when they preach about being for the people, the arrogance seeps from their pores.

You are not worth the energy it would take to respond.
Even so, it seems I am doing something wrong by responding to your posts that are directed at other members. Sorry to disturb your all important conversation.
Hang in there, you will be able to make 50 posts in this thread!
edit on 12-12-2011 by steppenwolf86 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 12 2011 @ 11:27 AM
link   

I will break it back down... I was responding in general to union comments...

Minimum wage= artificial manipulation of pay

Union = artificial manipulation of pay

(Personal note union owes me money off of broken promises.... Union = racket)

the artificial manipulation of pay leads to crashing markets....

new note:
If I am guessing properly the underlying theme is that it seems that most here are upset not over the amount of money they have per se... but are much more upset over purchasing power...

They make more then there grandparents ever did or dreamed of... but due to lack of purchasing power they cant even live half as good a life as their grandparents did...

purchasing power is what they wanted, the politicians sold them the bill of goods called minimum wage... they KNEW that it was bs... total... Minimum wage means nothing... the secret is purchasing power

they = politicians and power brokers

Price of computers have dropped

Prices of
house
car
food
gas

all risen... Why?

note the quality of computers have gone up while the above have fallen...

posted on Dec, 12 2011 @ 11:41 AM
link   

You are absolutely correct. The problem is purchasing power. My step father earned $46/mo during WWII from the Army. The average American home had an income of about $1500/yr. A new car was about $400. A new house was about $3000. That was only 70 years ago. Since then our costs have risen tremendously to keep pace with inflated wages. When the price of a new car exceeds 1/3 of the average household income, you can see how unbalanced the purchasing power of the dollar is. When we finally put our dollars purchasing power in the arena it belongs, we will once again see a prosperous middle class.

posted on Dec, 12 2011 @ 11:50 AM
link   
reply to post by steppenwolf86

You neocon propagandists are the only ones reading Id say.

Are you wearing a patriot costume?

posted on Dec, 12 2011 @ 11:57 AM
link   

I was being sarcastic.

You neocons are obsessed.

And you are traitors.

And you are clinging to a broken economic system like scared little rats.

I will think of you when hyperinflation kicks in over there.

This whole thread was just to annoy you guys.

To make fun of people that dress up as patriots.

That vote Republican.

You are traitors.

Democrats are traitors.

And you guys are living in the past.

Be afraid.

posted on Dec, 12 2011 @ 04:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by xlb40

Another at bat who is about to strike out.

Originally posted by Equidae
reply to post by xlb40

You cannot survive on minimum wage

You were never meant to "survive" on minimum wage.

Thus begins the drift towards medical conditions. God forbid you develop a serious illness, have a new kid, get in a wreck, whatever. There are areas in the United States that rank behind third world countries.

I suppose this comes from your vast experience and knowledge of living in third world nations...lol

It is absolutely absurd for you it incline that a nation that is ranked 4th in human development index (tied third with the Netherlands) is somehow ranked BEHIND third world countries...when that clearly doesn't match reality.
hdrstats.undp.org...

Again, this is not to say that everyone is well off. I do understand that not everyone is as "blessed" or lucky as me. However, the people who are in poverty in this country have it quite well compared to third world nations.
www.heritage.org...

I have actually spent two years living in one of the poorest countries in the world. We are not that poor, but parts of America are in worse shape than India.

And you have obviously never driven through Appalachia, the Midwest, or the Southeast. The idea of minimum wage is that it is meant to be livable. That's why we have it. Unfortunately those who make assumptions about the poor being lazy think it is an incentive to lower it. All that does is keep people on government assistance, and who are then vilified even more. Hard work should enable you to make a living wage, but unfortunately in America that isn't the case anymore.

posted on Dec, 12 2011 @ 05:09 PM
link   

Is minimum wage.. the minimum amount to be able to live off OR the minimum amount that can be payed before it can be called slavery.

new topics

top topics

<< 24  25  26    28  29  30 >>

join