It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Scientists Embark on Ambitious Attempt to Clone a Woolly Mammoth

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 8 2011 @ 12:37 AM
link   
I've actually been looking forward to this attempt for a few decades now. Out of all the most possible prehistoric animals to bring back. This seemed to me the most feasible considering we have their living relatives alive and well present day.

Hopefully this will be accomplished easily and we can enjoy viewing this amazing creature at a local Zoo.

Scientists Embark on Ambitious Attempt to Clone a Woolly Mammoth

Dr. Ian Malcolm, the chaos theorist played by Jeff Goldblum in Jurassic Park, would surely find this to be a bad idea—Russian and Japanese scientists are planning to clone a woolly mammoth. The research team says it could bring Mammuthus primigenius back from extinction within the next five years using marrow cells from a recently discovered mammoth thigh bone and an elephant as a surrogate mother.

At least it's not a T. Rex, right?

Scientists from Russia's Siberian Mammoth Museum and Japan's Kinki University said this week that they are now analyzing what look to be very well-preserved marrow cells from a mammoth's femur which was discovered in Siberia this August.

edit on 8-12-2011 by SLAYER69 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 8 2011 @ 12:40 AM
link   
reply to post by SLAYER69

There is a recent thread on this subject already..
Next they said a Neanderthal..

posted on Dec, 8 2011 @ 12:42 AM
link   
This thread has been posted many times.

Here is one.

AboveTopSecret

posted on Dec, 8 2011 @ 12:42 AM
link   
Creating life isn't man's place. This is insanity and I just can't see it ending well. Nature is unpredictable and resilient. We may have no way to unring these bells if something goes serously sideways with it. bad bad bad idea.

Just my thoughts....

posted on Dec, 8 2011 @ 12:44 AM
link   
reply to post by Wrabbit2000

We've been creating life for a long time now through cloning.
It would be nice to see a Woolly Though.

posted on Dec, 8 2011 @ 12:46 AM
link   
are we going to use them for agriculture or something productive? or simply marvel at their amazingness in the zoo?
who profits from this? is there a profit from reviving long lost species of animals?
releasing an extinct or invasive species into the wild, even a confined life could have repurcussions we aren't yet able to determine,

think butterfly effect, wooly mammoth effect??

how do we know it doesn't eat a plant or foods that don't exist anymore or that it's body can even adapt to these modern climatic conditions?

edit on 8-12-2011 by yourmaker because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 8 2011 @ 12:46 AM
link   
reply to post by GmoS719

reply to post by Trustme333

Thanks for the heads up but you can have two threads on the same topic in two different forums also I did a check in this particular forum [Science and Technology] and found nothing regarding this latest attempt.

posted on Dec, 8 2011 @ 12:49 AM
link   
There was a thread posted not to long ago about the morality of cloning and if they would have commercial farms where they would bread these cloned animals and use them as a source of food.

Imagine what would happen if Barnum and Bailey Circus got a hold of them?

Wonder how long it would take for PETA to come in and tell them to:

Knock It Off.

posted on Dec, 8 2011 @ 12:50 AM
link   

NO! Thank you for teaching me something. LOL
I never knew.

posted on Dec, 8 2011 @ 12:54 AM
link   
"At least it's not a T-Rex, right?" Yeah, though that would be exciting. I don't know, I'm dubious on this....nature selected it's extinction, who are "we" or the great scientists to try to bring it back? Something will probably be wrong with it if they do....just my little opinion, and p.s. I love elephants. Trunks up!

posted on Dec, 8 2011 @ 12:56 AM
link   

Hoo Haa, Imagine how many steaks you could get out of one of those Woolies.
If it was good enough for the Neanderthals or CroMagnums to eat,
its good enough for me.

Imagine seeing herd of those rumbling down Broadway swaying their tusks side to side.
Now that would be a sight to behold.

Maybe someone will find a Sabertooth to clone next.

posted on Dec, 8 2011 @ 12:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by GmoS719

That's what picture books and imagination are for. I like them the way they were, thanks. Not sure they'd necessarily like to be brought back into this modern world, and under who's care? Man's? Maybe they wouldn't like that so much but they don't get a say. Slayer, that pic of that crazy, amazing, larger than life behemoth is breathtaking, but where in this world would he fit in? Maybe his majestic time has come and gone....would you really want to cage it? Not me! I'd rather remain at rest I think.
edit on 8-12-2011 by queenofsheba because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 8 2011 @ 12:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by GmoS719

There is a world of difference, IMO, between a Mammoth and Dolly the Sheep. I'm not even considering the most obvious direction of Jurassic Park. That is a reasonable concern, but a secondary one. It's the minor nuisance factor that would come down the road.

My most pressing and alarming issue on this is straight biology. This animal..and others which will follow the first success, were selected for extinction by whatever natural processes were involved back in it's day. There were entirely different environmental issues back then andd genetics are related to that.

Here is the problem......Some of the worst Pandemics the world has ever seen are suspected to have been a virus mutating and crossing species to man, or out from man and then back with a new variant. What might prehistoric genetics do when confronted with modern day biologic threats?

Oh this will be fun to discover what mutations viruses make when exposed to a genetic print not seen in real life in so very long.....or NOT really.
edit on 8-12-2011 by Wrabbit2000 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 8 2011 @ 01:05 AM
link   
Please direct your comments to this ongoing thread

Woolly mammoth to be brought back to life from cloned bone marrow 'within five years

Thanks.

new topics

top topics

join