It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Welcome to the Equator!! Everywhere on Earth !! USA-UK-Canada

page: 8
<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 25 2012 @ 01:51 PM
link   
reply to post by Soylent Green Is People

Text1. The Moon can appear to be heavily tilted from the mid-latitudes, especially in the winter

The moon is appearing as boat, smile, Cheshire, horned etc. from mid-latitudes all year round. The tilt that we of mid-latitudes have grown to know and love is intermittantly disappearing and being replaced by a boat. No more icons of the child sitting on the crescent moon and dangling his feet from the edge. Now it's a boat and it wasn't so before. Stellarium is going to show you WHAT IT IS; not WHAT IT SHOULD BE. I'm starting to think that you are a troll.

2. The Moon takes a different path across the nighttime sky in the winter than the moon tajkes across the nighttime sky in the summer. Please notice I emphasized "nighttime".

I've got to say...hello!!...the moon is out in the day as well. I often see it. In fact, as usual, I look for it. When the moon hits the horizon it doesn't fall off into the abyss. It continues to orbit in its' normal MONTHLY cycle. It does this every month, come winter, spring, summer or fall. It doesn't care what season it is - it just keeps on keeping on every month.

All of your full moon fun facts are kind of WHAT?? because we're talking about the crescent moon. We're talking about a certain phase of the moon in it's monthly cycle - the one that takes 29.5 days to go from waxing crescent to waxing crescent again.

BUT...let's talk about the full moon since you have it on your mind. Have you seen the face in the moon? Sure you have...everyone has. These days that face cops a nod as it hits the horizon. And sometimes as it comes up. Wierd for mid-latitudes.

You're so set on your seasonal moon that you can't even understand that if the moon is high at night, it's low during the day because it orbits on the sun's path in the sky. The reasons for this are beyond my math capability to explain - one of my kids, who took her degree in math, could explain that but not me. All I can say about it is that it has nothing to do with seasons.

...So, yeah. "The Moon is monthly", just like you said. However, that has nothing to do with how the Earth's tilt will affect the way a particular phase of the Moon is observed from a person on Earth in December when compared to June.

Let me see if I can explain this clearly. What we call a harvest moon one year is not the same moon that we call a harvest moon the next year. Why? Because the moons' orbit is 11 days different from the year. Because the moon does not orbit yearly - it orbits monthly. We fit the moon into seasons because we think solar, as a western culture on a solar calendar. It's not the same moon even though we peg it that way in a solar oriented culture.

Forget the 18.6 year cycle. Sure -- that's a factor, by a minor one that is just serving to confuse the issue. Also, forget that the Moon has a monthly revolution around the Earth, while the Earth has a yearly revolution around the Sun. That is not relevant at all.

This is a fact. How is that 'not relevant at all'?

I know it's tough to envision 3 balls in the air. Jugglers practice to get this going. Few can do it. But that's what we've got with the Sun, Moon and Earth. Each has their own peculiarities but each is also tied to the others. This is not seasonal - it's celestial mechanics.

www.wordiq.com...

So, of course the Young Moon will seem to be very close to horizontal. The Young Moon is the most horizontal--looking phase due to its position in the Earth's sky relative to the sun.

Yes...if you're on the equator. I'm 2988 nautical miles from Quito, Ecuador which is on the equator.

Well, by definition, that is not possible because the Young Moon is always right behind the Sun in the winter sky, and moving basically along the same path as the Sun (maybe with a few degree difference). It would never be "next to" the sun in the winter when they both are setting.

You've been looking at too many 2-dimensional graphics. We're not in a 2-dimensional world right now. Sun, moon and earth are in a 3-dimensional arena. All I can suggest here is maybe get a globe and try to visualize. Depth perception, or so I've heard, is not for everyone.

posted on Feb, 25 2012 @ 02:06 PM
link   
reply to post by luxordelphi

The moon is appearing as boat, smile, Cheshire, horned etc. from mid-latitudes all year round.

NO!! It is NOT!!

(Welcome to the third-half of my post.....
)

At least, not outside the normal expectations of how the Moon should look, in crescent, depending on date, Earth location, etc.....This is WELL KNOWN!!!

(btw.....have you visited that local Planetarium yet, there in Las Vegas?? You really, really should....here's the link again, just in case you missed it the first time:

Las Vegas Planetarium and Observatory

#, or get off the pot....(and yes, I used the keyboard character '#' there....no Auto-mods involved.....just "quote" my post to be sure).

edit on Sat 25 February 2012 by ProudBird because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 25 2012 @ 02:23 PM
link   
reply to post by ProudBird

Your skill at ad hominem distractions knows no bounds.

I don't think we are even, ad hominemwise, yet, karmically speaking and I wouldn't want to leave you with a potential karmic debt so you're welcome.

It was you, after all, who raised the practice of the Islam faith being tied to the Lunar cycles

Yes...that's true and yet WHY did I raise this point? Because here is an entire culture looking for every first light of waxing crescent going back some 1500 years. This is not a religious observance. It is like looking at the calendar...to see what day it is...to see how many days left until whatever like Christmas. It's a lunar calendar by observation. So, oh self-styled worldly one, is your knowledge of cultures and calendars also pit-stop fashion? Just long enough to see something that gives you a long history of misunderstanding and false notion?

Perhaps a review of those threads would be in order......

Yes, dear, a review of all threads that you have briefly frequented would be in order.

posted on Feb, 25 2012 @ 02:27 PM
link   
reply to post by nataylor

Nothing really comes to mind when I read your post except, in the words of an ATS'er whose name I can't remember, replying to another ATS'er whose name I can't remember either: "...you're a strange one aren't ya."

posted on Feb, 25 2012 @ 02:36 PM
link   
So just for the Record, I have lived Both in Boston, and Las Vegas.

I have never in my life seen a Cheshire Cat Smile in the Sky, until the last 2 nights. I have been raised star-gazing, and spend a lot of my time outside at night because it brings me a sense of peace.

I have no idea who is right or wrong, about this argument, but I have NEVER seen the moon as it has been the last few days. I am very familiar with the concept of the tilt, and slow magnetic pole changes, Also the black hole. I do not know the Math on the tilt, and it wouldn't do me any good.

Just freaking bizarre. Wow.

posted on Feb, 25 2012 @ 02:36 PM
link   

You are just genetically (or culturally?) unable to admit that you're wrong?

Yeah, that is it...

DONE...and DONE.

posted on Feb, 25 2012 @ 02:44 PM
link   
If you're in the UK, go outside right now and look at the moon... it is a Horizontal bowl. is this right ? as according to the OP's link. One would have to be at the equator to see this..

I've taken some pictures but as expected they came out badly, so hence I haven't posted them

posted on Feb, 25 2012 @ 02:47 PM
link   
reply to post by Riakennor

If you're in the UK, go outside right now and look at the moon... it is a Horizontal bowl.

Nice contribution....and you are correct.....problem is, this 'OP' thinks that the Moon isn't the "same" as it was, from the last 4.5 Billion years......

Good luck, with that premise......
edit on Sat 25 February 2012 by ProudBird because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 25 2012 @ 02:57 PM
link   
reply to post by matthewgraybeal

Well I guess you haven't noticed it before, like a number of people. This very thread was started in December.

And then there's this one from November last year.
www.abovetopsecret.com...

March last year

February last year

November 2010

February 2010

Interesting how people seem to notice it at a certain time of year and not at another certain time of year.

edit on 2/25/2012 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 25 2012 @ 04:56 PM
link   
reply to post by Dashdragon

So you're lying and even misquoting wikipedia

This is not a street fight where we call each other liars and then duke it out. I put the wrong link with that quote - so shoot me. I probably put the other link with the wikipedia quote - it was late and... The correct link:

answers.yahoo.com...

and I forgot myself in not being more careful with wikipedia which seems to be some sort of science bible for alot of my antagonists. Still the part of wikipedia that you quote does say that the boat moon is equatorial and Las Vegas is at 36 degrees north latitude and not 0 degrees which is where the equator is.

There's absolutely nothing wrong with any of my math other than your attempts to misquote it to appear so.

Taking a statement like 'each year has 12 or 13 cycles of lunar phases' and using that to then make computations that mean nothing and coming up with 28.07 days for the moons' orbit is not my idea of anything except trying to make something appear to match whatever you're trying to say. The 29.5 day cycle is phase to phase. I'm not going to even begin with the rest of the monthly cycles because we can't even seem to get past the moon being out in the day.

when one talks about going out and looking up at the moon, they're going to do it at night and the part of the Earth facing away from the sun is most definitely seasonal for the same reason that the part facing it is

Think before you type. Alot of people see the moon in the day. Full moon, while heavily linked to romance in our western culture, is not the beginning or end-all but rather a mid-point in the moon's monthly orbit. Sunsets are another time that people are out in the western world looking and that would be a good time to spot the crescent moon. As far as the part of the world facing away from the sun and the part facing the sun being seasonal - I think not...I think you're talking about day and night. It happens.

The seasons are mostly caused by the Earth's tilt.

Mostly? Be assured that they are caused by the earths' tilt. Here's a link to some long...really long...cycles that supposedly influence the seasons as well. We won't live to see these differences but I guess we can theorize about them and think about how they may affect us. What we're talking about here in this thread though seems to be something a little bit more abrupt.

aa.usno.navy.mil...

(...also it's on a navy website so read at your own risk.)

(orbital distance and amount of landmass on the northern hemisphere that causes the north to experience more variant seasons than the southern),

Distance I know about but landmass I don't as far as a relationship to seasons. Please tell me more.

So as we've been saying, during the winter, the moon as viewed at night on Earth is going to follow the same general path through the sky as the sun does in summer

The moon follows the same path as the sun day and night, month after month with a variance of 5 degrees either side spread out over an 18.6 year cycle.

The moon is monthly, it is not seasonal. It varies 5 degrees from the suns' path over an 18.6 year cycle wherein it reaches maximum and minimum variance called lunar standstills and sometimes equated to the yearly solstices and equinoxes of the sun.

posted on Feb, 25 2012 @ 05:25 PM
link   

Dear cryptic: overt and visible is not always wise in a big brother world. Take it from one who has been that route.

At least, not outside the normal expectations of how the Moon should look, in crescent, depending on date, Earth location, etc.....This is WELL KNOWN!!!

This is a super lame argument. Stellarium constructs are going to show how the moon DOES look. They will not show you how the moon SHOULD look.

And before you go off into philosophical ditherings - there is a cause, whether it be the sudden reappearance of something not seen in a long time because of long cycles or some CERN-like black-hole creating monstrosity. Cause and effect are well known.

You are just genetically (or culturally?) unable to admit that you're wrong?

But you are genetically or culturally suited to continuing to defend a child-like scrawl from NASA showing a winter path for the moon in order to 'explain' the boat at diverse mid-latitude locations? I can't believe that's true and I'm chalking it up to pit-stop-threading.

posted on Feb, 25 2012 @ 11:57 PM
link   
Here are some links for the equatorial boat moon from different latitudes for this month.

This one is from Seattle from Jan. of this year. Seattle is closer to the north pole than it is to the equator. It is at 47 degrees north latitude.

www.king5.com...

This one is from Bellevue, near Seattle, from Feb. of this year.

www.komonews.com...

This one is from Charlotte, NC from Feb. of this year. Charlotte is at 35 degrees north latitude.

www.flickr.com...

Here's one from a person who says they live in London from Feb. of this year. London is at 51 degrees north latitude.

twitpic.com...

Here's one from Boulder, CO for Feb. of this year. Boulder is at 40 degrees north latitude.

allegedlyapparent.wordpress.com...

Here's the best one. It says it's from Washington. I don't know. It is from Feb. of this year. The best part is where this person tells us what to do if we are surprised or puzzled by all the light at the bottom - THE BOAT.

www.indiatimes.com...

I'm surprised too. Surprised that we haven't heard this every year if this is indeed a seasonal event. Surprised that we haven't got it yet and need to be told what to do in case of surprise or puzzlement. Are all of these places close to the equator and nobody bothered to tell us before now?

posted on Feb, 26 2012 @ 01:58 AM
link   
Nibiru, people. It's all about Nibiru.

poleshift.ning.com...

Be sure to pay special attention to pages 5 and 6 where Ms. Leider and the others discuss the rogue planet being visible right next to the moon. Of course, this was back in 2010. Where'd it go?!?!?

Sorry, but I think it's important that we not divorce the believed cause from the discussion of the effect. I know LD, Cherub, etc. would rather suppress this aspect for obvious reasons...
edit on 26-2-2012 by ColAngus because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 26 2012 @ 02:01 AM
link   
reply to post by CherubBaby

I live in Western Maryland USA and we had the bowl crescent this evening!!! Weird

posted on Feb, 26 2012 @ 12:56 PM
link   
Here's a video from Lindenhurst, NY (40 degrees north latitude) from yesterday showing a boat.

www.youtube.com...

Here's an interesting one from Szubin, Poland (53 degrees north latitude) showing an almost boat.

spaceweather.com...

So I guess that's getting to be about the extent of the boat moon right now - this week - from 0 degrees at the equator all the way up to almost 53 degrees north latitude.

Each degree of latitude represents approximately 69 miles/ 111 kilometers so that puts the boat moon ranging over 3657 miles/ 5883 kilometers.

wiki.answers.com...

After the closest approach of Venus, Jupiter and the moon in the western sky this weekend, there should be a lot of photos available on the internet from diverse latitudes. Since the moon is still a recognizable crescent - the boat should be easy to see.

Oh...and just as a reminder...the boat moon, all the light at the bottom, is something that is supposed to happen at the equator.

posted on Feb, 26 2012 @ 01:03 PM
link   

Wait.....WHAT????

I am sorry that real science disagrees with your delusions.....truly sorry.....

posted on Feb, 26 2012 @ 01:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by ProudBird

Wait.....WHAT????

I am sorry that real science disagrees with your delusions.....truly sorry.....

No...hold on...what now? Real science says the boat moon, all the light at the bottom, the Cheshire moon and the smile moon and the wet moon, is supposed to happen at the equator.

Let me see if I can figure this out...if I'm in Szubin Poland at 53 degrees north latitude and the equator is at 0 degrees and I'm seeing the boat moon then WHAT???? Where am I????

posted on Feb, 26 2012 @ 01:29 PM
link   

LIE!!!

No...hold on...what now? Real science says the boat moon, all the light at the bottom, the Cheshire moon and the smile moon and the wet moon, is supposed to happen at the equator.

Stop lying, and go out and learn!!

I gave you a local learning source, previously:

Planetarium and Observatory
3200 E. Cheyenne Ave. Ste. 1A
North Las Vegas, NV 89030
(702) 651-4SKY

CHECK THEM OUT!!!!!!

Go.....Learn!!!

Get EDUCATED!!!!!

posted on Feb, 26 2012 @ 03:01 PM
link   

If she calls and they agree with her, then you get "I TOLD YOU SO!!"

If she calls and they disagree with her, they are simply liars like the rest of us who are in on the conspiracy.

The simple fact is the only thing that matters is her own observation and personal opinion. And of course the observations and opinions of those who agree with her.

She has no interest in truth. No interest in just getting the issue resolved. This is because she cannot be wrong. She won't be wrong. The difference is we aren't interested in being right or wrong. We just want to know what is true and correct. If we're wrong, we'll concede. She will not. She is a troll. A super foxy troll.

posted on Feb, 26 2012 @ 03:13 PM
link   

Stop lying, and go out and learn!!

That's all you've got? Personal attacks. Oh, and of course, how could I forget - the moons' 'winter path'
causing the boat which has the moon and sun both in a polar orbit in order to cause the boat moon at all of these latitudes. Of course...that makes such perfect sense. Why did we never notice before that the moon rises in the north and sets in the south.

I'm not surprised that you embrace this argument of polar orbit because an orbit that follows lines of latitude is so very inconvenient when trying to explain the boat moon, all the light at the bottom, in mid-latitudes.

top topics

<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

join