It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Boy, 9, Suspended from School for Sexual Harassment After Calling Teacher 'Cute'

page: 4
<< 1  2  3   >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 4 2011 @ 09:30 PM
link   
The boy was only natural to find attractiveness in his teacher.
The teacher was not natural to find this a punishable offense. .
The teacher will be fired pretty soon .
I can tell because only troublemaker teachers would go and make
such a big deal out of natural things kids hormones act at that age.

posted on Dec, 4 2011 @ 09:49 PM
link   
I really do want to believe the original news report was intentionally, or even unintentionally sensationalizing the situation. Unfortunately, this makes a jerk out of some adult reporter and his/her editor and they need to be held accountable.

However, if there is more to the story that some level of rational thinking would justify the suspension, has anyone considered where a 9 year old would have learned such behavior? Peers? Then where did the friends learn it? I certainly am not pointing a finger at this kid's parents, but someone, somewhere truly is messed up and hopefully that individual will be found through this incident.

The already unavoidable tragedy is how it is going to affect this young man's life. I can see few alternatives that turn out well for him.

posted on Dec, 5 2011 @ 06:50 AM
link   
This is beyond rediculous and bordering on asinine. This is another reason why public schools should be abolished. At the very least have the government completely removed from it. Common sense apparently isn't so common.

posted on Dec, 5 2011 @ 10:00 AM
link   
reply to post by tw0330

....my friends and i always talked about how "hot" some of the teachers, student teachers, and subs, looked. .......We were boys, we didn't know any better

It's one thing to 'talk' to each other about 'hot' teachers - quite another to come on to the teacher directly. Maybe you didn't cross the line, but either way, you apparently haven't learned the difference. Hopefully this very minor 2-day suspension will give this 9-year-old a better perspective on what constitutes respect and disrespect - and help teach him to be a better human being.

posted on Dec, 5 2011 @ 10:05 AM
link   
reply to post by tw0330

The schools and the Police are now getting way out of hand.

Time for the parents to take over the schools like they used to and get back to basics. These teachers and school principals should be forced to resign. Enough is enough.

posted on Dec, 5 2011 @ 10:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by CaptChaos
The article is very vague about exactly why calling someone "cute" is sexual harassment. Obviously there is a lot more to this than they are saying. And very strange actually how there are no details. I'm never on the cops' side, but in this case I think this kid might deserve it.

This article is VERY vague, in general (but that is not surprising considering the source). What i also find vague but VERY important to the whole incident is this:

the boy was suspended for "inappropriate behavior" after making "inappropriate statements."

The headline fails to mention THAT. What is this inappropriate behavior? It doesn't say what the behavior was (and this could be because it wasn't revealed to the media, even though it SHOULD), but if the student was suspended for the sexual comment based upon the word "cute" instead of the "actions," then this speaks volumes for the code of conduct if the behavior was that inappropriate.

I was just thinking, what's next, "you're ugly" as a form of assault?

posted on Dec, 5 2011 @ 10:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by soficrow
reply to post by tw0330

....my friends and i always talked about how "hot" some of the teachers, student teachers, and subs, looked. .......We were boys, we didn't know any better

It's one thing to 'talk' to each other about 'hot' teachers - quite another to come on to the teacher directly. Maybe you didn't cross the line, but either way, you apparently haven't learned the difference. Hopefully this very minor 2-day suspension will give this 9-year-old a better perspective on what constitutes respect and disrespect - and help teach him to be a better human being.

Ummm how in the world has this gotten to "the boy came on to his teacher".

The boy didn't come on to anyone.

posted on Dec, 5 2011 @ 11:06 AM
link   
reply to post by Liquesence

Oh good lord - I think everyone's taking that quote wrong, especially when cross-referenced with the information from The Daily Mail:

'I was talking to my friend and I said Miss Taylor was cute,' Emanyea told local WSOC news...

A substitute teacher at Brookside Elementary School overheard the remark, told the principal, and then the principal suspended the boy for two days.

When we get this line:

the boy was suspended for "inappropriate behavior" after making "inappropriate statements."

...it might help for me to rephrase that: 'After making "inappropriate statements", the boy was suspended for "inappropriate behaviour"'.

The statement WAS the behaviour that got him suspended.

posted on Dec, 5 2011 @ 11:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by tw0330

Originally posted by soficrow
reply to post by tw0330

Ummm how in the world has this gotten to "the boy came on to his teacher".

The boy didn't come on to anyone.

You don't know that. As I said in my original post:

There just isn't enough information to develop any informed opinion here. But that doesn't seem to be stopping anyone else so I'll go with the flow

edit on 5/12/11 by soficrow because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 5 2011 @ 01:10 PM
link   
What a disgrace. This criminalizing kids thing seems to be picking up speed, is it to start civil unrest or are people just that stupid that they say calling a teacher cute is sexual harassment. And as I've noticed form growing up in California is that the teachers wont even get near the kids, most likely to not get sexual hartasement charges, yet in argentina the teacher will hug you and give you a kiss on the cheek when your in kinder and nobody gets sued or upset over it, I guess that's just how american society is now, almost everything you do is now a crime, even if your nine.
edit on 5-12-2011 by NightFlyer96 because: spelling

posted on Dec, 5 2011 @ 01:38 PM
link   
reply to post by NightFlyer96

A 2-day suspension for hustling a teacher is NOT "criminalizing kids." Get a grip.

Better that kid learn now that some behavior is just not appropriate than to let him escalate for lack of appropriate guidance - and end up in prison for rape or some other perfectly "acceptable" behavior.

posted on Dec, 5 2011 @ 02:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by jude11
Is there a National concerted effort to criminalize children? What the hell is going on in the US right now?

Personally, I think the answer is Yes. I believe it is a concerted effort to desensitize people to government harrassment. That child has a right to go to that school and that principal violated that right. The principal should be fired and sued personally for a willful violation of that child's rights.

posted on Dec, 5 2011 @ 07:32 PM
link   
reply to post by DragonTattooz

Ridiculous!

With 7 million or more teachers and 10's of millions of school kids, there are always going to be stupid events happening every day.

Trying to make them into a deliberate attempt to criminalise school children is as dumb as the events themselves!!

posted on Dec, 5 2011 @ 10:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by Praetorius

Oh good lord - I think everyone's taking that quote wrong, especially when cross-referenced with the information from The Daily Mail:

'I was talking to my friend and I said Miss Taylor was cute,' Emanyea told local WSOC news...

A substitute teacher at Brookside Elementary School overheard the remark, told the principal, and then the principal suspended the boy for two days.

When we get this line:

...it might help for me to rephrase that: 'After making "inappropriate statements", the boy was suspended for "inappropriate behaviour"'.

The statement WAS the behaviour that got him suspended.

Gotcha. Ok, i totally read that wrong in angry haste. Admitted.

This, however, neither speaks of the boy suspended for sexual harassment nor the issue that the article is vague.

But, speech as behavior? Uhhhh. I know that actions can be considered speech, and that speech can definitely be inappropriate, but i do not recall hearing that speech can be considered behavior.?? To be considered behavior? Maybe i am missing something (probably). I know that speech can be disruptive as well, and combined with certain types of behavior such as the method of delivery (that's an argument in itself), but speech SOLELY considered behavior--when someone just calls someone cute and is not ranting and raving? Something off there, too, something off in this entire incident.

The world is still completely gone insane. When i was a kid, i did things like that, and it was--OH NO,
part of being a kid.

This country has gone bassackwards crazy, in a micro and macro level.

posted on Dec, 5 2011 @ 10:52 PM
link   
Yes this is exactly the kind of junk that goes around in the NC school systems. Everything you do seems like it gets documented and sent off to some government facility for trial and testing to see if you're some kind of terrorist or you're some major threat to the school system. This doesn't relate to the sexual aspect of this issue, but a perfect first-hand example of the sad excuse of a school system we have here in NC: when I was in Middle School (forsyth county school system), there was a day when i came home from school and sat down to watch some history channel. The show that was on was about Russia, nuclear power, etc. I personally thought it was extremely interesting so I came to school the next day (keep in mind i was about 12) and told a lot of friends about what i saw and how crazy it all was. So here I am in gym, and i was telling a group of friends what i saw on T.V. My teacher walked by and I guess heard me talking about it, and so he jumps to conclusion and apparently reports me to the principal and everybody. So basically I didn't think anything of it, you know "meh, it was cool whatever move on just a little topic". So I get home and my mom tells me how the police just called and they sounded like they were gonna come down to our house and confiscate our computer and search it for "files". So at first I'm like "well why on earth would they do that!?!?!" And my mom told me the school staff had a huge meeting that afternoon about me and what they thought I was involved with (basically acting as if i was some Afghani terrorist that's gonna blow up the school or some terrible crap like that). So then my cousin came down to my house and picked me up and took me on a long drive around the country trying to get answers from me like who I was involved with and such. So I told him my whole day and he basically called bull# on me!! So basically he took me to his house and kept me a lot of the night. Then the next day in school the principal took me out of class and took me to a huge private conference room and there was police everywhere and sat down and interrogated me basically. He came to the conclusion that i needed to spend the last weeks of my 6th grade year in a private room in isolation in the back of the office. So i was like whatever ill just sleep all day on the couch. So I did. Then one day I got up to go to the bathroom and was in there for a while (number 2), and when i got out they had staff like EVERYWHERE searching for me and they locked every single door in the school cause they thought I had "escaped". So basically I became a huge social outcast all due to the dickery of the school system.

Mad props to you if you read all that sorry if you think it was too off-topic but I have very strong feelings about the NC school system and I felt this was a good opportunity to tell my story.

P.S. Note that almost identical situations had happened to me twice during elementary school except they didn't go that far but they still acted like a little 8-12 year old has some kind of Jihad terrorist. And when I questioned why they were treating it so insane they just said "well you know how it is cause of 9/11". Is that a good excuse to you? I want to know your opinions about how school systems treat things these days.

posted on Dec, 6 2011 @ 08:21 AM
link   

Generally agreed, although I can understand why they would have called it such - probably just a catch-all they use in their disciplinary policy.

I'd say is somewhat akin to police charging people with disorderly conduct or obstruction of justice for pretty much anything that makes their job harder or more annoying than it has to be, even if there's nothing truly disorderly or obstructive about it - and I'd say this case is no less stupid.

Take care.

posted on Dec, 6 2011 @ 08:25 AM
link   
Are you kidding me? REALLY?

Is there any sense, even the slightest, left in your country and people? Things cannot get more absurd than this.

posted on Dec, 11 2011 @ 08:24 PM
link   
I feel that a committee should be formed to decide whether or not the teacher was in fact 'cute'.
Then if it was decided that yes, she was cute, it couldn't be sexual harassment, but merely a statement of fact.

-Cheers
edit on 11-12-2011 by Qemyst because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 1  2  3   >>

join