It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I do not exist. Neither do you.

page: 24
<< 21  22  23    25  26  27 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 30 2011 @ 06:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by Deetermined

If God is Universal, why would he send Jesus Christ to earth to die on the cross? That wouldn't make much sense, would it?

And that's God's plan, it makes total sense. We're not victims here.

posted on Nov, 30 2011 @ 06:33 PM
link   
reply to post by TheLegend

Yes I can tell you're being sarcastic. This leads me to believe you are incapable of philosophizing, which I cannot blame you for. What I can blame you for is you lack of knowledge about how science came from philosophy, politics came from philosophy and religion/atheism came from philosophy.

Philosophy means "love of wisdom", it would seem you subscribe to the opposite.

posted on Nov, 30 2011 @ 06:33 PM
link   
Well damn the bad luck! I am not here, nor you there, nor am I enjoying my sweet and sour chicken...or my drink, or my home... crap. you just didn't piss in my wheaties. Thanks a lot, not!

posted on Nov, 30 2011 @ 06:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by TheLegend

You're just as batty as the universe guy (who simply lacks an understanding of quantum physics and I like to poke fun at).

Wow, your ignorance is boundless.

I've been studying all forms of physics for 15 years. You know nothing about me.

Maybe you should first understand the definition of the word Universe.

The Universe is commonly defined as the totality of everything that exists, including all matter and energy, the planets, stars, galaxies, and the contents of intergalactic space.

noun
the totality of known or supposed objects and phenomena throughout space; the cosmos; macrocosm.

Generally, the universe is "all that is and all that there ever will be". Even if quantum physics comes to the conclusion that there is multiple planes of existence, parallel dimensions, etc., they ALL are a part of THE ALL which is known as the Universe.

Try again.

edit on 30-11-2011 by K1771gnorance because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 30 2011 @ 06:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by Exsisto

I can believe that we are CONNECTED to each other, God and Creation. You are correct in stating that it does not override our physical existence, nor does it override our free will. Whether or not we choose to accept God, Jesus and the Holy Spirit will ultimately determine whether we actually become ONE with Him. If we reject this, we will not be ONE with Him.

Those separate parts which you're defining as "God" "Jesus" and the "Holy Spirit" are in Truth only One Thing (GOD), and you and I and everyone single thing on this planet and within this Universe are as much a part of It as Jesus is. You're stuck in a false Hierarchical paradigm, in which there is some separate and bigger-than-us entity (or in your example, a trio of them) that sits in judgment of us. This is what the Christian Church preaches, although that's not what Jesus preached. Even in the Bible, Jesus never mentions the Holy Spirit in scripture except to remind It exists in all of us, and he was referencing It as God.

Again, you mention this "Holy Trinity" will determine upon our deaths whether we will actually "become ONE with Him," and that is a totally contradictory statement given that you believe God is Universal (at least I assume you do), and if you believe God is Universal it's logically impossible to believe a person could ever not be ONE with Him / It.

As I said before, you can't have it both ways. God can't be everywhere in everything and then be separate at any time from any of us.

No, I do not believe God is Universal from the standpoint that we will all become ONE with him just by believing there is a God. What purpose would there be for Jesus to die on the cross if he wasn't the only true way to God? You do know what the Bible says about WHY Jesus was sent to earth, don't you?

I believe that we're all connected from the standpoint that we were all created by God and God wants us all to know the truth. He will approach everyone in the Spirit to point them in the direction of the truth. However, the truth will not be found by all, because they will reject it.

posted on Nov, 30 2011 @ 06:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by NiNjABackflip

If I were you I wouldn't put my name behind that ridiculous quote. Without philosophy we'd still be stuck in the dark ages.

You're just as batty as the universe guy (who simply lacks an understanding of quantum physics and I like to poke fun at).

Oh, you're right tho, philosophy got us out of the dark ages. In fact, I'm sure people like Pythagoras and Socrates weren't executed/murdered and their works were valued IMMEDIATELY instead of centuries later.

And it's also a fact that metallurgy, mathematics, economics, engineering, medical science, and natural selection had NOTHING to do with advancing mankind.

PS this whole post was sarcasm. Brought to you by TheLegend.

That's priceless.

Btw, I've never seen so many unproven things be taken as factual. So god existing, Jesus existing, and the 10 other unproven claims mentioned, are all facts now? Ok. I feel much better about my existence now and now I will become a more productive member in society. Thank you. I'll take some koolaid on my way out.

posted on Nov, 30 2011 @ 06:36 PM
link   

That's the most $#&^*%^ post I've read in a long time, you are aware that an entire branch of philosophy is ETHICS right (GEE OUR SYSTEMS OF ETHICS DON'T DEFINE US AS A RACE OR ANYTHING??)
The others, METAPHYSICS (which we're discussing now) and EPISTEMOLOGY (Much of the debate in this field has focused on analyzing the nature of knowledge and how it relates to connected notions such as truth, belief, and justification. It also deals with the means of production of knowledge, as well as skepticism about different knowledge claims.) which we are also discussing now, without epistemological thought we could not have conceived of the scientific method.

Learn a bit about philosophy before you climb in to the ring lad..

posted on Nov, 30 2011 @ 06:37 PM
link   

Yes I can tell you're being sarcastic. This leads me to believe you are incapable of philosophizing, which I cannot blame you for. What I can blame you for is you lack of knowledge about how science came from philosophy, politics came from philosophy and religion/atheism came from philosophy.

Incorrect on science. As far as religion and politics goes, that's probably not something to gloat about deriving from philosophy.

posted on Nov, 30 2011 @ 06:38 PM
link   
reply to post by MasonicFantom

Correct on science. You're incorrect on philosophy. Why don't you take a look around on the google?

Edit to Add:

From wikipedia even : "Often philosophy is seen as an investigation into an area not sufficiently well understood to be its own branch of knowledge. What were once philosophical pursuits have evolved into the modern day fields such as psychology, sociology, linguistics, and economics, for example."
edit on 30-11-2011 by NiNjABackflip because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 30 2011 @ 06:38 PM
link   

Is it not a FACT that you are a part of the Universe?

A part of the whole?

posted on Nov, 30 2011 @ 06:39 PM
link   
reply to post by Itisnowagain

If you understand what i am saying why are you asking me to rephrase it? It is said with clarity, it is short and sweet.
Those type of replies are understood here so no, they are not annoying.

I understand it, but unless you can explain in real sentences - you're bluffing. I know your type and I entertained similar ideas for a while but quickly got turned off extreme versions like 'we are all infinite possibility' and all that jazz.

I'm tired of would-be new age hipsters spouting off about this sort of stuff, especially the 'awakening' crowd. I'm not accusing you of being on that bench, but I think that sort of extreme thinking is dangerous. I shudder to think what will happen once 2012 passes and nothing has happened - a lot of people are putting so many eggs in that basket. They'll be devastated.

Anyway, back on point - If you're going to interrupt my forum discussion with another member, you should be prepared to explain yourself.

Although you have not really said anything, what makes you so certain of your 'beliefs'?

Edit: It goes without saying that everyone is part of the universal whole, and yes perhaps you can philosophically refer to things metaphorically as 'both everything and nothing' at the same time - but let's speak literally. What, literally, is reality? What defines the experience of reality? How can anyone discuss such a matter so arrogantly and rigidly, with no proof?
edit on 30-11-2011 by arollingstone because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 30 2011 @ 06:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by Exsisto

If God is Universal, why would he send Jesus Christ to earth to die on the cross? That wouldn't make much sense, would it?

And that's God's plan, it makes total sense. We're not victims here.

So, tell me why God's plan included Jesus dying on the cross?

posted on Nov, 30 2011 @ 06:41 PM
link   

We are crafting an illusion with these concepts. Illusions deter you from seeing the truth of reality as it is.

Who is creating and illusion if there is no one? Deter who from what?

Nah, I know what you are saying. I have pondered this thought myself. Actually, My thought was that we are all individually monitored like lab rats in someone's experiment and everyone around you and everything is an illusion or a hologram.

I confirmed this by one day telling a friend of mine about this theory, I told him that when people are happy or sad or show feelings that it is all programmed within your personal matrix to get a desired response of a positive or negative reactionary response from you.

The way I confirmed this was by telling my friend "I am going to kick you square in your pelotas, and you will ACT like you are in great pain, but I will know better. I will know that you are just ACTING that way to get a reactionary response from me, but in reality, he doesn't exist as a real person, so it really won't hurt at all."

Get this! He did just as I predicted, but then called me a psycho and forfeited our friendship till this very day. Well played. Well played.

posted on Nov, 30 2011 @ 06:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by arollingstone
I'm tired of would-be new age hipsters spouting off about this sort of stuff, especially the 'awakening' crowd.

News Flash; It's not "new age".

This knowledge has been around for 1000's of years. It has been accepted by many different religions in different forms. It has even been accepted by many non-religious people as being self evident.

Science is only helping further prove this knowledge by examining and proving the details.

posted on Nov, 30 2011 @ 06:44 PM
link   

No, I do not believe God is Universal from the standpoint that we will all become ONE with him just by believing there is a God. What purpose would there be for Jesus to die on the cross if he wasn't the only true way to God? You do know what the Bible says about WHY Jesus was sent to earth, don't you?

I believe that we're all connected from the standpoint that we were all created by God and God wants us all to know the truth. He will approach everyone in the Spirit to point them in the direction of the truth. However, the truth will not be found by all, because they will reject it.

You're obviously confused. You say we're all connected and come from God, yet you maintain a strict sense of separation. There is no such thing as this separation. That's what Jesus preached.

I'm sorry you're confused. It's really very simple. There is never a separation from God. There cannot be a separation from God. This fearsome judgment you speak of is an internalized notion or belief that has been drilled into you by a Church that wants to control you at a soulular level. It's the same Patriarchal Church that crucified Jesus for preaching otherwise. And Jesus died on the cross, he did so because he was preaching about God in very personal terms. God exists with Him, as God exists within you. At all times.

By rejecting this message, which is exactly what you're doing, you forsake the very God you claim to believe in. It makes absolutely no sense.

posted on Nov, 30 2011 @ 06:44 PM
link   
Ok, I'm sure philosophy has made you lots of money and got you laid plenty of times. Enjoy your lives, you lucky philosophical bastards. At medical school it's no wonder we spend a 14 months studying philosophy--because it helps so much.

The universe guy I shall never forget. Peace.

posted on Nov, 30 2011 @ 06:51 PM
link   

Correct on science. You're incorrect on philosophy. Why don't you take a look around on the google?

From wikipedia even : "Often philosophy is seen as an investigation into an area not sufficiently well understood to be its own branch of knowledge. What were once philosophical pursuits have evolved into the modern day fields such as psychology, sociology, linguistics, and economics, for example."
edit on 30-11-2011 by NiNjABackflip because: (no reason given)

It depended on what you meant by science, which is a broad term. I thought you meant hard science (e.g. chemistry). There's no doubt philosophy influenced social sciences to a significant degree.
edit on 30-11-2011 by MasonicFantom because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 30 2011 @ 06:53 PM
link   

Ok, I'm sure philosophy has made you lots of money and got you laid plenty of times. Enjoy your lives, you lucky philosophical bastards. At medical school it's no wonder we spend a 14 months studying philosophy--because it helps so much.

One can't point out they've been to medical school while displaying the language, comprehension, and analytical skills usually reserved for middle school graduates and expect to be taken seriously.
edit on 30-11-2011 by Exsisto because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 30 2011 @ 06:58 PM
link   

Actually, I met my girlfriend at the beach, at night. We started talking about the universe, and all that exist, and how we are all a part of the whole. I was telling her that the darkness between each star is an illusion because stars shine in all directions, and there exists light passing between each star. Also, since all electromagnetic radiation is "light"; radiowaves, microwaves, infrared, visible light, etc., there exists light in every part of this universe. Darkness itself is an illusion. I got her number that night, and dated her for many years following.... You sure bet I got laid because of philosophy.

I can argue many philosophers have become financially wealthy. But the best philosophers are wealthy with knowledge.

Your insults are childish.

The intellectual rigors of philosophy also serve pre-medical students quite well. Philosophy majors are among the top performers on the Medical College Aptitude Test and, typically, 50-55% of philosophy majors applying to medical school are accepted.

Philosophy deals with logic. Mainly deductive logic. That is why it is so important.

I can see you will be a lousy Dr. if you don't understand such simple logic.

posted on Nov, 30 2011 @ 06:59 PM
link   
The joys of Philosophy and an easy 4.0. It's always part of a curriculum of the silver spoons and those who avoid the sciences and math to keep Mom and Dads checks rolling in (or government handouts).

Nothing wrong with it other than kids who don't care about their futures majoring in it to avoid study. The Prof's are all Silver Spooners who retire behind Ivy Covered walls to a life of pontificating and feeling important when they produce nothing of value.

Philosophy is the same idea's presented in different ways, over and over again by people who actually think they are thinking new thoughts. It's the Bubblegum of topics and is chewed over and over until it is stale.

When I feel pain you do not. When I'm cold, you are not. When I work my back to the point I can no longer stand up straight, it does nothing to you. There most certainly is an "I" and each of us have a unique experience shared by nobody else.

If you carry this through to the idea of the good of the whole outweighing the good of the individual, you join the most evil men to walk the earth. When we loose our individual identity there is no longer room for free will and the net product is people like Mao who believe individuals have no value. Dangerous path proven over and over again throughout history. I assure you the victims suffer individually.

top topics

<< 21  22  23    25  26  27 >>

join