It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Egypt's 'Naked Blogger' Calls On Men To Wear Hijab

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 25 2011 @ 04:58 PM
link   

An Egyptian blogger who sparked controversy last week by posting a photo of herself naked online has also launched a campaign calling on men to don the Islamic headscarf. However, the Facebook campaign, launched by Aliaa Elmahdy in support of women's rights, was shut down after it was hit by thousands of complaints last week. Elmahdy plans to relaunch it within days. Elmahdy sent shockwaves through Egypt's highly traditional society when one of her friends shared a photo of her wearing nothing but a pair of shoes and stockings on Twitter with the hashtag #nudephotorevolutionary. Elmahdy's boyfriend, Kareem Amer, says his girlfriend's reasons for originally posting the photo on her blog were not political. He said she wanted "to send a message" to conservative Egyptian society that a woman's body should not be associated with "shame."

Apparently, several hundred Iranian men had no such qualms. In 2009, Iranian men posted photos of themselves wearing hijab as part of the online "Be a Man" campaign launched in support of leading student protester Majid Tavakoli, who was jailed in the mass protests that broke out after the country's disputed 2009 presidential election. The "Be a Man" initiative also served to raise awareness about women's rights in Iran, where discrimination is written into the country's legal code. For example, if a woman is killed, the "blood money," or compensation paid to her family, is 50 percent less than if the deceased is a man.

Egypt's 'Naked Blogger' Calls On Men To Wear Hijab

edit on 25-11-2011 by samsamm9 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 25 2011 @ 05:00 PM
link   
Idiot............. No
Not you OP

S&F
edit on 25-11-2011 by rigel4 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 25 2011 @ 05:01 PM
link   
I heard today Aliaa Elmahdy got beaten and raped by Egyptian police, I hope I'm wrong...

I have nothing but respect for her courageous move in a traditional society where the body and face of a woman is supposed to be completely covered

posted on Nov, 25 2011 @ 05:16 PM
link   
I promise that I can easily get every man within 100 miles to wear the Hijab, just as long as all the women within 100 miles take up "Naked Blogging!"

Other than that compromise, I just don't see it happening.

posted on Nov, 25 2011 @ 05:27 PM
link   
reply to post by tvtexan

It could become very popular if men were to wear a veil in solidarity to Aliaa Elmahdy

But I think it is now illegal to participate in a protest wearing any kind of mask

posted on Nov, 25 2011 @ 05:48 PM
link   
just think if she got all of her girlfriends, and their friends friends to post nude pictures of themselves! it would be a revolution! Ill wear a hijab in that case.
edit on 25-11-2011 by knightsofcydonia because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 25 2011 @ 05:58 PM
link   
I respect that she is standing up for womens' rights in her country but she could have probably done it without the nakedness. A bathing suit or something would have got the message across and she could have kept her privacy intact.

posted on Nov, 25 2011 @ 06:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by VerityPhantom
I respect that she is standing up for womens' rights in her country but she could have probably done it without the nakedness. A bathing suit or something would have got the message across and she could have kept her privacy intact.

The point is there's nothing shameful about a womans body. Naked was the only way to go.

posted on Nov, 25 2011 @ 06:14 PM
link   
All naked woman should encourage men to wear a hat.

That is just common sense.

---

Not sure what being naked, in fishnets and CFM heels has to do with women's rights but I guess it means something to somebody.

posted on Nov, 25 2011 @ 06:35 PM
link   
reply to post by FOXMULDER147

Everybody would have gotten the point just the same in a bikini; she only went naked because extremism is effective in getting peoples' attention. Personally I think that if she had done a bathing suit she wouldn't have riled up the religious and judgmental types therefore causing her to be under fire less. I think naked bodies are a bit personal in most societies. Especially her own either way good for her! I hope that a more open society won't lead to an industry of negative imagery like the American culture seems to have adopted.

posted on Nov, 25 2011 @ 07:10 PM
link   

Nudity is only a big deal because those who disagree with it sexualise it and make it a big deal. Props to her for taking a stand against a conservative society. I know in America you are still rather conservative and many of you regard nudity as wrong, but where I am from nude beaches are the norm.

posted on Nov, 25 2011 @ 08:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by SpeachM1litant

Nudity is only a big deal because those who disagree with it sexualise it and make it a big deal. Props to her for taking a stand against a conservative society. I know in America you are still rather conservative and many of you regard nudity as wrong, but where I am from nude beaches are the norm.

Okay... Where do you get the idea that America is conservative? We have strip clubs and in one state prostitution is legal! lol thanks for the laugh on your opinion of America though.
I promise you sir America isn't as wholesome as The Brady Bunch made it seem. In any case I don't disagree with the way she approached her methods of getting her point across... I just think she might have hurt her cause because as I've stated above the criticism will fall heavily on her for her display of nudity. And rile many up; it could make her a target as well. Some people do and say things and may not realize that they will regret it in the future. I suppose that is the price some pay for liberty and freedom. I'm with you and on the "props to her" thing though. I hope she paves a way for other brave souls in her situation.

posted on Nov, 25 2011 @ 09:34 PM
link   
I think she's awesome.

When will there be miniskirt burkas?

You know, the top half can be all ninja-beekeeper-style,

but show off those sexy gams!

posted on Nov, 25 2011 @ 10:02 PM
link   
Isnt she risking her life doing this?

Check out some of the comments in the link. Some thinks she has a sickness lol.

posted on Nov, 25 2011 @ 10:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by The Great Day

Unfortunately yes, she is risking her life, it's really sad but it's a fact, she is in danger.

In the RT link below, there is a video about a girl getting mob, the rumor is, it's Aliaa al-Mahdy
but it's not clear if it is.

It seems the brutality is not reserved for foreigners, either. Egypt’s ‘naked blogger’ is also reported to have been mobbed: Aliaa al-Mahdy, a young Egyptian student who posted a photo of herself naked on her blog, was allegedly beaten by an angry crowd. CBS channel footage shows the 20-year-old being dragged into the seething mob and thrown to the ground. The channel claims it was Aliaa al-Mahdy, which is confirmed by viewers in their comments. However, the last entry on Aliaa’s Facebook page was 10 hours after the video went on air, causing some to wonder why she does not mention the incident. It simply reads, “no one knows my whereabouts, and whoever tries to attack me will get what they deserve.”

Tahrir terror: Female journos, ‘naked blogger’ assaulted

posted on Nov, 25 2011 @ 10:25 PM
link   
Reply to post by VerityPhantom

Sounds like you'd fit in traditional Egyptian society.

I on the other hand, salute her for having bigger balls than most people on ATS or in the US.

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on Nov, 25 2011 @ 11:09 PM
link   
reply to post by VerityPhantom

It is legal in one state? Do I have to remind you how many states there are in the Union. It is pretty conservative comparred to most of the Western world, which is expected given the higher density in religous worship (more than 80%) compared to say other Western countries (i.e. where Australia less than 30% people are religous). Coincidentally prostitution laws in Australia are far more relaxed. There are many legal and liscenced brothels across the whole country, although street prostitution remains illegal.

In some German states full nudity is legal even on the main streets, in fact police will advise women who choose to walk naked (which is still really rare) to take open and crowded streets instead of back alleys. That is simply one example. It is widely accepted within popular culture that America is far more conservative compared to its European cousins.

it could make her a target as well.

Sometimes you need to break a few eggs to make an omellete. Contrary to what some may believe, freedom dosen't come free. And it is thanks to those who are willing to put their life on the line that many others may too enjoy (and one day take for granted) the freedoms all humans should have.
edit on 25-11-2011 by SpeachM1litant because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 26 2011 @ 01:30 AM
link   
I personally feel we should all support this courageous individual.

What she did was extremely dangerous but very brave considering where she is. I only hope nothing happens to her or her family.

I will be showing my support and solidarity by making the picture of her my background and screensaver

posted on Nov, 26 2011 @ 09:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by The Great Day

Yeah her fellow muzzies feel she has a sickness... Yet a chick walking through Tahrir Square is likely to get a hundred muslim fingers pushed into her crack by fifty dudes.

They are a screwed up people, sexually. On purpose.

Have you ever read the Kama Sutras? They say plainly that ass-humping was introduced by the Muslims. Also, Jacob Frank explains in his book "Sayings of the Lord" that mohammed tied St Peter to a tree and buggered him. Haha, funny stuff.

Possibly the gayest religion on Earth. Hence their complete disconnection from the female, and their desire to stone her and kill her.

Therefore, a woman like this one, should be defended by any good, hetrosexual and normal muslims. She is wonderful, and brave. They need to heal, as a group, and this woman could start that process.

Because gang raping chicks and stoning them, is just WACK. Either you like women, or you hate them and think they are all whores. It's truly screwed up when men act out violently toward women and cannot identify the religion which makes them into such monsters.

Anyway, I believe in Jesus, who loved women, and would have smiled knowingly at this girl and her nude pics. Only Jesus can heal Egypt. And that would be through loving women, as he did. Remember Jesus defended a prostitute from the priests (could be mullah or jew) who righteously wanted to crush her head with rocks. Jesus stood between them and her, and told them to get bent.

posted on Nov, 26 2011 @ 03:48 PM
link   
reply to post by smallpeeps

Wow .. First of all, you're wrong... Islam is not a gay religion like you said.
Stoning women is a Christian concept, not Islam.
Unfortunately in Islam also stoning is mentionned, but for men or women.
Look it up !

And what is this propanganda about Muhammad ?
What you said is very offensive. I just don't understand why repeat non sense that you heard from a so called author ... Don't know what you're talking about ..

Don't you understand not every Muslim agree on the same points and not every muslim is the same?

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join