It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Occupy Black Friday

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 23 2011 @ 06:34 PM
link   
Personally I am not much a fan of Black Friday or OWS but I have heard reports that OWS protestors are planning on heading to the shopping malls, corporations like Best Buy and Wal-Mart in an attempt to deter shoppers on Black Friday.

Some are doing it to hurt corporations and some say they are doing it to show support for local mom and pop shops.

I am calling BS. This is America and people have the right to shop wherever they want without being harassed. If OWS decides to get in the way of consumers they are likely to get laid out on the curb and dealt with quickly.

Anyhow I think that this will be the end for OWS if they set out to become the christmas grinch and things will escalate and get ugly if OWS decides to target consumers rather then the so called 1% they despise so much.

posted on Nov, 23 2011 @ 06:42 PM
link   
reply to post by thehoneycomb

That's pretty much EXACTLY how I feel. I go with my wife for Black Friday shopping. Now, to me, shopping is the 8th level of hell, but my wife is 5'2 and tiny. I'm 6 foot and look like the biker that I am so I go as her muscle. I've only had to get physical with someone once, but that's enough to make sure I'm there every year to protect her. I flat frickin dare one of these jobless bums or drum beating hippies to get in my way!

posted on Nov, 23 2011 @ 06:42 PM
link   

Have you ever seen what happens to people who get in front of Black Friday shoppers??

This will put an end to OWS once and for all! They don’t stand a chance!!

posted on Nov, 23 2011 @ 06:44 PM
link   
If they hurt any business, it's going to be reflected in more job loss. Thanks a lot jackass occupiers. I am trying to make ends meet and protect and feed my kids. So I have no sympathy with any occupiers. Further, they could possibly destory all I have saved in my Thrift Savings plan which depends on how well wall street does.. Thanks a lot in advance ya little sh''''s if you destory wall street and what I am trying to accumulate for my old age. What bunch of do nothing, perpetual college studens, and whining babies.

Do any of these bozos really have any idea who is behind occupy? Goerge Soros, the unions who want to run(ruin) your lives, and every marxist or Communist Party USA idiot out there. And do you know why they are supporting and funding some of this? It's so they can rule you for the rest of your lives with their marxist/totalitarian agenda.. You are such fools.

posted on Nov, 23 2011 @ 06:49 PM
link   

OWS will find out who the real 99% are when they get trampled by Grandma who is hell bent on using her double coupons...

edit on 23-11-2011 by SLAYER69 because: (no reason given)

+13 more 
posted on Nov, 23 2011 @ 06:50 PM
link   
Well, surely you can understand how there is no more important day to many corporations in America than Black Friday. If you want to fight, you have to hit them where it hurts.

Retailers nationwide have gutted their full-time payrolls and slashed benefits. It's rare to get more than 30 hours and so that makes most empolyees ineligible for benefits. Those that do qualify find the premiums so sky high, there is little pay check left. At the same time executives are enjoying record salaries and bonuses yet stock prices are in the toilet. Prices of goods are high yet quality is poor.

I agree that people have the right to shop if they want but people have the right to protest as well.

posted on Nov, 23 2011 @ 06:51 PM
link   
I agree. People should be able to shop without being harassed.

www.rawstory.com...

Or trampled by sheep...

seattletimes.nwsource.com...

www.youtube.com...

edit on 23-11-2011 by Corruptedstructure because: (no reason given)

edit on 23-11-2011 by Corruptedstructure because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 23 2011 @ 06:53 PM
link   
reply to post by seabag

WOw that guy a 1:19 throws an elbow and almost hits that lady behind him, I NEED my Nintendo WII or i'll kill you! Or "I NEED my Tickle Me Elmo cause my kid WILL DIE if he doesn't have one!" Sheesh get the hell outta here. Materialistic, self centered people will always be the last on my list of people that need to be saved when the zombie apocalypse comes! But yeah Nobody stands a chance against those Black friday morons(and i know they get good deals but they're morons because they think they[or their merchandise] are more important than that poor old woman they trampled on their way in. but who cares right? Idiots.

posted on Nov, 23 2011 @ 06:57 PM
link   
it's official then

posted on Nov, 23 2011 @ 06:58 PM
link   
There is no such thing as a hassle free revolution. The western culture of consumerism is the root of all evil. I dont agree that people should be stopped from shopping when where and how they like but at the same time i think its important to EDUCATE people as to why consumerism is bad and why more debt is not what we need right now.

The problem is that the average joe is dependent of the system to survive. The system is slowly dying and the average joe cant understand why. All they want is for things to be as they always was. This is the problem with walking a round with your head up your a$$. when reality comes home to roost it is ugly.

The maths of the economy is that its screwed you can cry and moan all you want it wont change anything. You can drag this out and make it painful or you can end it quick and get over it. The choice is always yours. Your are going to collapse nothing can prevent that, the sooner you get that into your heads the sooner you can start to rebuild.

Shopping like a brainless zombie and buying crap you dont need because you think its half price is the height of stupidity. What do i know anyway, i mean your system works right? Look around and tell me capitalism and consumerism works. Judge a system by how it performs not how you been conned into thinking its SUPPOSED to perform.

Enjoy wasting what little money you have on garbage you dont need. Unless your stock piling canned food and survival essentials your a fool and nature deals with evolutionary dead ends swiftly.

posted on Nov, 23 2011 @ 06:58 PM
link   
reply to post by seabag

Even in a moshpit everyone helps you up immediately.

posted on Nov, 23 2011 @ 06:59 PM
link   
You know you are getting old on ATS when:

Your second to post to a new thread but in the process of fumbling around with the reply on a silly laptop, there are now 10 responses before yours.

As a result, you make a great point but someone already beat you to it so you look like the idiot who didn't read the thread.

posted on Nov, 23 2011 @ 07:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by thehoneycomb
Personally I am not much a fan of Black Friday or OWS but I have heard reports that OWS protestors are planning on heading to the shopping malls, corporations like Best Buy and Wal-Mart in an attempt to deter shoppers on Black Friday.

Some are doing it to hurt corporations and some say they are doing it to show support for local mom and pop shops.

I am calling BS. This is America and people have the right to shop wherever they want without being harassed. If OWS decides to get in the way of consumers they are likely to get laid out on the curb and dealt with quickly.

Anyhow I think that this will be the end for OWS if they set out to become the christmas grinch and things will escalate and get ugly if OWS decides to target consumers rather then the so called 1% they despise so much.

I haven't been anti occupy or pro occupy as I have been trying to gather more information before I make such a conclusion. I have to agree with you, OWS has no place disrupting innocent people who are very capable of making their own decisions. If you don't like "Black Friday" then don't participate. It's an insult to the people who have chosen to participate's intelligence and might even enjoy participating in the event. I must say this is a negative action which tends to make them seem like they believe the interests of their movement are more important than anyone else's and being closed minded to others views is not a good thing. A lot of the people shopping are a part of the "99%" and make the decision to shop on that day themselves. I personally don't like the experience of "Black Friday" as all it serves is to annoying me wading through crowds and waiting in lines but I don't expect others to feel the same. People enjoy different things for different reasons and it's not your place to step in and ruin it for them/harass them.

posted on Nov, 23 2011 @ 07:05 PM
link   
reply to post by InfoRobinHood

Nah. I'm 32. There were no replies when I started working on mine. I'm just not that fast at typing

posted on Nov, 23 2011 @ 07:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by kosmicjack
Well, surely you can understand how there is no more important day to many corporations in America than Black Friday. If you want to fight, you have to hit them where it hurts.

Retailers nationwide have gutted their full-time payrolls and slashed benefits. It's rare to get more than 30 hours and so that makes most empolyees ineligible for benefits. Those that do qualify find the premiums so sky high, there is little pay check left. At the same time executives are enjoying record salaries and bonuses yet stock prices are in the toilet. Prices of goods are high yet quality is poor.

I agree that people have the right to shop if they want but people have the right to protest as well.

They have a right to PEACEFULLY protest. When they begin to infringe on the rights of their fellow citizens they have gone beyond their right to protest.

posted on Nov, 23 2011 @ 07:20 PM
link   
Who says they're going to interrupt or harrass shoppers? There's no story, no link...nothing. Yet here where we claim to deny ignorance we get the anti-ows bandwagon taking their pleasure regardless of facts.

posted on Nov, 23 2011 @ 07:22 PM
link   
reply to post by TiM3LoRd

Shopping like a brainless zombie and buying crap you dont need because you think its half price is the height of stupidity. What do i know anyway, i mean your system works right? Look around and tell me capitalism and consumerism works. Judge a system by how it performs not how you been conned into thinking its SUPPOSED to perform.

These "brainless zombies" are people buying gifts for their friends and family for Christmas. Yeah it's black friday so they might pick up something for themselves too, but it's their money to spend and spend how they chose.

Why does OWS want to be the christmas grinch?
Thats the question you should be asking.

posted on Nov, 23 2011 @ 07:26 PM
link   
It's funny. I saw people in another thread saying that if OWS was really against corporations they would do an Occupy Black Friday kind of thing...

Now, this thread saying they better not dare or it will be the end of OWS.

It leaves me wondering about both sides. Supporters and people against OWS...Do any of us know just what we want?

It seems no one can agree on much of anything.

link   

link   

Originally posted by Kali74
Who says they're going to interrupt or harrass shoppers? There's no story, no link...nothing. Yet here where we claim to deny ignorance we get the anti-ows bandwagon taking their pleasure regardless of facts.

Kali74 to the OWS rescue!! The most loyal OWS'ers on ATS keeping everyone honest!

Here you go...

"The idea is simple, hit the corporations that corrupt and control American politics where it hurts, their profits, " states the Occupy Black Friday Facebook page.

A few of the retailers the protesters plan on targeting include Neiman Marcus, Amazon and Wal-Mart.
Their website states the following:

"Keep in mind that we are not occupying small businesses or hardworking people—we must make a distinction between the businesses that are in the pockets of Wall Street and the businesses that serve our local communities.

We are NOT anti-capitalist. Just anti-crapitalist.

link

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join