It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Occupy Macy's Thanksgiving Parade?

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 23 2011 @ 11:00 AM
link   
I've read over a few of the forum posts on the OWS site to see what, if anything, was going to be happening on Thanksgiving Day, specifically the Parade.

Surprisingly, or not, there seems to be a fairly even split going on between those who think it is a good idea to occupy the parade and those who disagree with the idea (even though they favor OWS.)

Personally, I see both sides of the argument pretty clearly. I don't really support one way or the other, as by this point, the world is so unpredictable and bizzare that I just can't help but observe most of it with a sense of humor. (Except for blatant police brutality... that still gets me.)

Anyway, the main point of this post is to:

A) Find out from anyone here involved with OWS if there has been any 'official' decision or talk amongst the movement about what they are going to do/what are/would YOU do?
-and-
B) Find of from you, ATS, what your opinions on what OWS should do/is going to do and why.

(Please guys, I know this request may be in vein, but let's try to keep from bashing any one here. If you don't think they should protest, maturely explain your position. Same goes for those who are in favor of Occupying Thanksgiving. This doesn't need to become a war zone of political ideologies.)

[Staff Edit-Removed Link]

15d.) Cross-Posting: You will not cross-post content from other discussion boards (unless you receive advance written permission from TAN or their agents). You will not post-by-proxy the material of banned members or other individuals who are not members, but have written a response to content within a thread on these forums.

ATS terms & Conditions

edit on 11/23/2011 by tothetenthpower because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 23 2011 @ 11:09 AM
link   
reply to post by eleven44

I do not think OWS should interfere with Macy's Thanksgiving Parade.....many families in NY enjoy the parade and it is part of the magic of the holidays....for many children.

A lot of children will be at the parade....for their safety and their fun........I think OWS....should give it a rest on parade day...take a break and enjoy the festivities.

posted on Nov, 23 2011 @ 11:24 AM
link   
I know some might try it but most don't want this. This is the event they have planned for Thanksgiving:

They are planning a feast in Zucotti Park aka Liberty Square.

edit on 23-11-2011 by Kali74 because: caught the mod note in the OP Links removed. Sorry.

edit on 23-11-2011 by Kali74 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 23 2011 @ 11:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by eleven44
there seems to be a fairly even split going on between those who think it is a good idea to occupy the parade and those who disagree with the idea (even though they favor OWS.) .

oh geeeeze ... the freaks need to stay home ... in their parents basements or whatever ... and leave the parade alone! What the hell is wrong with them anyways? I definately don't want to tune in tomorrow to see a bunch of unwashed, hopped up, unemployed yahoos pee'n and poo'n everywhere on the parade route. I want to see balloon floats, the NYC skyline, and Santa at the end of the parade.

Let the kids and families have the tradition of the parade.

Leave the parade alone!!!!

posted on Nov, 23 2011 @ 11:29 AM
link   
I think people need a swift kick in the balls whether it's this year or the next, it WILL happen.
Everything that Thanksgiving and Christmas has become is about to change for the better.
But first, things are going to get rough.

It is about time we wake up from this nightmare we call 'The Holidays' and begin to celebrate our humanity without the assistance of Macys or Santa Clause or Wal-Mart.

So, whether it happens this year or the next, it WILL happen and people WILL be shaken out of their comatosed zombified nightmare and forced to live in the real world where we may not have the Help of Macys and their God Damned Floats to tell us how to celebrate and give thanks, but we will have eachother.
edit on 23-11-2011 by Screwed because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 23 2011 @ 11:30 AM
link   
No way they'll interfere with the parade...will result in very bad PR which will cause supporters to jump ship.

posted on Nov, 23 2011 @ 11:33 AM
link   
Parades in general are pretty stupid and this one is the stupidest of them all. I've never cared about some stupid balloons promoting cartoon characters so go ahead and occupy the hell out of this. Occupy Macy's in the process as they are the ones who put this crap on.

I don't need no stinking parade.

posted on Nov, 23 2011 @ 11:35 AM
link   
reply to post by FlyersFan

I understand your frustration, as you do have a 'right' to enjoy your day in whichever way you wish.

But, as I asked, "Please guys...let's try to keep from bashing any one here. If you don't think they should protest, maturely explain your position. This doesn't need to become a war zone of political ideologies"

Again, you are totally free to feel how you want to feel. But be aware, the moment you start speaking out of such hatred and disrespect, you lose a large portion of your like-minded audience simply because you have put off such a negative energy.

Here's a task: Try finding a way to be thankful for OWS this year. (That doesn't mean you have to approve of OWS. For example: I am thankful for OWS for allowing me a chance to contemplate and become aware of the way I respond to a situation I disagree with.)

edit on 23-11-2011 by eleven44 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 23 2011 @ 11:38 AM
link   
reply to post by Screwed

Yeah, that is what the side of me in favor of doing it is saying too.

But, redparrothead said what the other side of my brain is saying, which is

Originally posted by RedParrotHead
No way they'll interfere with the parade...will result in very bad PR which will cause supporters to jump ship.

posted on Nov, 23 2011 @ 11:38 AM
link   
I bet the organizers wish they waited on bringing rick astley out this year. Imagine a large group of people holding signs and chanting slogans while rick singed "never gonna give you up..."

edit on 23-11-2011 by satron because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 23 2011 @ 11:41 AM
link   
reply to post by Kali74

I like that idea the best.

Acts of Love spread the message a lot further and bring more people together than acts of violence can, and I don't care how hippie-dippie that sounds.

posted on Nov, 23 2011 @ 11:45 AM
link   
I'm all for OWS, but I'm kind of on the fence about occupying the parade. Part of me really, really wants to see a huge crowd of protesters blocking the entire route.. but the other half of me knows that if that occurs, things are going to get ugly with the police brutality.. and the chance of it being televised to a bunch of kids who are watching for Snoopy is just too large to ignore.

How do you explain to your child that they can't see the Snoopy balloon this year because that guy down there in the road just got beaten within an inch of his life for trying to earn us a better future?

Our children deserve to know what is going on in the world, to a certain extent, but watching a huge mosh pit of police vs citizens at the feet of Santa and some random marching band is not the way to do it.

posted on Nov, 23 2011 @ 11:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by TheLoony
Parades in general are pretty stupid and this one is the stupidest of them all. I've never cared about some stupid balloons promoting cartoon characters so go ahead and occupy the hell out of this. Occupy Macy's in the process as they are the ones who put this crap on.

I don't need no stinking parade.

Ok...so you don't like the parade.....but many children do.....their is still wonder and magic in their little lives.

As far as I am concerned....we all grow up too soon.....there are so few....innocent years....let the children enjoy the parade!

posted on Nov, 23 2011 @ 11:53 AM
link   

oh geeeeze ... the freaks need to stay home ... in their parents basements or whatever ... and leave the parade alone! What the hell is wrong with them anyways? I definately don't want to tune in tomorrow to see a bunch of unwashed, hopped up, unemployed yahoos pee'n and poo'n everywhere on the parade route. I want to see balloon floats, the NYC skyline, and Santa at the end of the parade.
wow.....you showed your hand... if that is what you think the OWS people are, why are you on THIS site???...just to bitch????...go back to huffington or some other site...

posted on Nov, 23 2011 @ 11:56 AM
link   
reply to post by doryinaz

Nice of you to read the whole thread lol

nvm just got the sarcasm lol
edit on 23-11-2011 by Kali74 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 23 2011 @ 12:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by caladonea

I do not think OWS should interfere with Macy's Thanksgiving Parade.....many families in NY enjoy the parade and it is part of the magic of the holidays....for many children.

A lot of children will be at the parade....for their safety and their fun........I think OWS....should give it a rest on parade day...take a break and enjoy the festivities.
I really see your point of view here.The kids safety is paramount without a doudt.
edit on 23-11-2011 by AgentX09 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 23 2011 @ 12:21 PM
link   

I'm not a pollyanna ... I'm a realist. I posted the truth - the 'MATURE' thing to do.

Originally posted by doryinaz
if that is what you think the OWS people are,

It's exactly what they are. OWS started out a good idea and it got hijacked. It's WELL DOCUMENTED ... they poop and pee everywhere and leave unsanitary conditions ... they want something for nothing ... they are a MESS and America doesn't want that garbage invading their living rooms on Thanksgiving Day. The 'protesters' claim to represent 99% of America and yet a vast majority of Americans do not support their actions.

33% of Americans support OWS
Most Americans have no opinion of OWS ... they don't care!
From the left - Support for OWS drops

America doesn't want to see it on their TVs on Thanksgiving.

Your response is funny ... free speech for the so called 'protesters' but when someone calls them out on what they are doing you don't like it so you say 'go away'. ....

Again ... they should leave the parade alone. Then again, if they do show up and do stupid things, then perhaps even MSNBC will not be able to deny the ignorance of their actions any more. I won't hold my breath on that one.

posted on Nov, 23 2011 @ 12:26 PM
link   

If you'd bother to read more than the title you would know the story. They aren't planning to Occupy the parade. A poster on their forums suggested it, most disagreed. On their news and events page they have a planned event for Thanksgiving, a feast in the park open to all.

posted on Nov, 23 2011 @ 12:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by FlyersFan

I'm not a pollyanna ... I'm a realist. I posted the truth - the 'MATURE' thing to do.

Originally posted by doryinaz
if that is what you think the OWS people are,

It's exactly what they are. OWS started out a good idea and it got hijacked. It's WELL DOCUMENTED ... they poop and pee everywhere and leave unsanitary conditions ... they want something for nothing ... they are a MESS and America doesn't want that garbage invading their living rooms on Thanksgiving Day. The 'protesters' claim to represent 99% of America and yet a vast majority of Americans do not support their actions.

33% of Americans support OWS
Most Americans have no opinion of OWS ... they don't care!
From the left - Support for OWS drops

America doesn't want to see it on their TVs on Thanksgiving.

Your response is funny ... free speech for the so called 'protesters' but when someone calls them out on what they are doing you don't like it so you say 'go away'. ....

Again ... they should leave the parade alone. Then again, if they do show up and do stupid things, then perhaps even MSNBC will not be able to deny the ignorance of their actions any more. I won't hold my breath on that one.

You worry about the OWS spoiling the parade for the kids, but the OWS wants a better life for your kids, so in that light, who cares about the kids more?

posted on Nov, 23 2011 @ 12:36 PM
link   
If they ruin the parade they're setting themselves up as being 'Bad Guys' in many working class Americans eyes ...

Stand up to Wall Street, disrupt the corporate executives, shout down politicians, defy unlawful authority - just don't mess with Snoopy and Santa. How un-American can you get?

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join