It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Occupy Movement Till _____________ (What?)

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 17 2011 @ 03:16 PM
link   
The Occupy Movement will last till what happens? What has to happen in order for the occupy movement to stop? Is it till everyone of them who is searching for a job finds a job?

How many years are you giving the Occupy Movement before it dies off?

posted on Nov, 17 2011 @ 03:21 PM
link   
It will last until justice and fairness win the day, and the radical income disparity in the United States is eliminated through a mixture of guilt and tax reform.

In other words, as soon as it gets too cold to camp out and play the bongos.

posted on Nov, 17 2011 @ 03:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by WarJohn
The Occupy Movement will last till what happens? What has to happen in order for the occupy movement to stop? Is it till everyone of them who is searching for a job finds a job?

How many years are you giving the Occupy Movement before it dies off?

It will never "die off" what will happen is it will dwindle away until eventually it becomes a weekly thing, then a monthly thing then it will become an annual thing. Probably every 5th of november, that is unless another movie like V for Vendetta comes out featuring a cooler mask and a different date.

posted on Nov, 17 2011 @ 03:24 PM
link   
reply to post by WarJohn

I am just drawing my conculsion based upon what I have seen from the movement. I believe this will be ongoing until economic equality exists; until people are more important than profits.
If I was part of the movement offically I would demand all monopolies be broken up so I can have a chose between different utlity companies. I would ask for public non for profit utlities be set up. Everything that is essential for life food, utlities, housing etc should be not for profit.
There should be a speration of certian things and utlities should not be treated the same as a best buy. Minuim wage or disablity benefits should be enough to live on without government help. This means more rules and regulations on corperations, business and utlities.(which should be public not private.)

posted on Nov, 17 2011 @ 03:25 PM
link   
Occupy movement needs to end. It failed in capturing the momentum it needed and is now futile.

The best thing the Occupy protesters could do now would be to disband peacefully and demonstrate maturity in doing so.

I think now we're at a stage where continuing it is just counter productive. The movement hasn't gone anywhere and people, even those who agree with the message, are rather "meh" about the whole thing.

The war isn't over but the battle is finished.
edit on 17-11-2011 by NadaCambia because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 17 2011 @ 03:27 PM
link   
Well OWS's lack of leadership and goals will be their downfall. Right now if you ask 100 different people what OWS is about you will get 200 answers. OWS started on the idea of economic inequality (free market) but now has devolved into many different things. OWS is about global warming, polution,animal rights, immigration and whatever else you want to add.

posted on Nov, 17 2011 @ 03:31 PM
link   
The problem is we can't make TPTB listen to us anymore. No matter what happens they will spin it for their side. They say they are misguided, breaking the law or crazy. I wonder if the voilence that has happened came from someone who did it on purpose to undermine the whole movement? TPTB is not really responding much what can they do to change that?

posted on Nov, 17 2011 @ 03:31 PM
link   
reply to post by WarJohn

Excellent question.

I noticed earlier that in polling their support has dropped from 78% to 28%. I suspect it will keep dropping.

They made their point. Now all they do is slowly alienate the people who supported them as it becomes apparent rational minds are not in control.

What I think will happen is the invasive groups aligned with Obama and Democratic Party will attempt to make it theirs. The paid ACORN and SEIU protestors will keep going as long as their is a paycheck involved. The Anarchists are always with us, but if their cover stops they will move on to other things.

The serious people should reorganize and this time do it the right way if they want to continue. First they need to separate themselves from the Democrats if they are for real and keep the Anarchists out of their movement.

If they can't do that, they were never for real to begin with. As more and more people realize that this is not what they thought it was they will cease to support it as the polls show. Others have been able to do it the right way with far larger numbers without any problems at all.

You gather in large numbers to make your point after a national ad campaign to attract the people you want. Point made, go home. Camping out, blocking roads and such is not protest by any stretch of the imagination. Those who don't stop simply prove they are not rational and who other than other irrational people will align with that? None.

Soon being involved will be such a negative only the worst possible people will have anything to do with it. It's already there in fact. I can't support it anymore. They made their point. To continue demeans and labels them. The predictions about where it was going have all come true. They shot themselves in the foot.

Sadly they are not even protesting what they claim to be against and it looks like those left don't actually believe in what they say. Their actions are contradictory at best. Things like closing a bridge has nothing to do with their claimed causes at this point. It's just mayhem because they get a thrill from it.

posted on Nov, 17 2011 @ 03:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by PrimalRed
Well OWS's lack of leadership and goals will be their downfall. Right now if you ask 100 different people what OWS is about you will get 200 answers. OWS started on the idea of economic inequality (free market) but now has devolved into many different things. OWS is about global warming, polution,animal rights, immigration and whatever else you want to add.

Exactly. The initial problem was that nobody came out with a clear sense-making objective. There were several different "reps" on TV saying several different things. If the movement would have named 1 or 2 spokespeople, it may have been more productive.

The ultimate downfall of OWS was when news people walked around with cameras asking people why they were there. A lot of them (or the people they chose to televise), had no solid purpose, and looked and sounded bad in front of the camera. And as long as they replay that person enough, people dislike OWS.
In today's media world, it is incredibly hard to get a solid message across, because there are SO many people who can accidently discredit the movement. All it takes is a handful of people acting untoward towards police. The media will replay it over and over again. It needs to be better organized. Put me in charge.
edit on 17-11-2011 by capone1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 17 2011 @ 03:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by dreamseeker
The problem is we can't make TPTB listen to us anymore.

The world was listening and OWS blew it, just chanting "we are the 99%" and "economic injustice" does not change anything.

No matter what happens they will spin it for their side. They say they are misguided, breaking the law or crazy.

Spin? OWS is the king of spin right now, i covered it in another thread. Basically they blame all the illegal acts on "others" and they claim to not "condone that behavior" yet when people get arrested for committing said illegal acts the protesters break out the video cameras and cell phones and magically the person being arrested is now a peaceful protester again and its "look those police are arresting a peaceful protester". So yeah, OWS spins it to and they break the law, its crazy isnt it

I wonder if the voilence that has happened came from someone who did it on purpose to undermine the whole movement? TPTB is not really responding much what can they do to change that?

Yes... the appeal to conspiracy. spin spin spin. Violence in the OWS movement? Never! unless they are getting arrested then they are one of us again.

posted on Nov, 17 2011 @ 03:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by capone1

Exactly. The initial problem was that nobody came out with a clear sense-making objective. There were several different "reps" on TV saying several different things. If the movement would have named 1 or 2 spokespeople, it may have been more productive.

The ultimate downfall of OWS was when news people walked around with cameras asking people why they were there. A lot of them (or the people they chose to televise), had no solid purpose, and looked and sounded bad in front of the camera. And as long as they replay that person enough, people dislike OWS.
In today's media world, it is incredibly hard to get a solid message across, because there are SO many people who can accidently discredit the movement. All it takes is a handful of people acting untoward towards police. The media will replay it over and over again. It needs to be better organized. Put me in charge.

Exactly and this is where you will see the OWS movement wanting everything both ways, they want to be a movement made up of "the people" but when it comes to people being interviewed on the news and looking like they have no idea what they are talking about OWS is quick to say that those people do not represent the whole movement.

posted on Nov, 17 2011 @ 03:43 PM
link   
I dunno, if they were smart they would protest, until they got the World's Attention and heard their message, after that, might as well stop because if the people of the world do not mind living in a land full of lies and deceit, might as well stop.. Its hopeless just makes it a fact the majority of the population in this Country, USA are sheeple and are neutered.

I never thought their protesting would work, but man I respect their heart, trying to show the world the man behind the curtain... Their is so much corruption in this world, Especially, err ahem @ Wall street... Not to mention Washington D.C

posted on Nov, 17 2011 @ 03:44 PM
link   
It seems that the application of principles which are being opposed in order to successfully perpetuate your own agenda upon the people is not the correct course of action. People are communicating which is important but everyone is drawing lines in the sand declaring that as their limit of responsibility the problem is we're all on the same beach.

What happens happens.

link   

Originally posted by capone1

Exactly and this is where you will see the OWS movement wanting everything both ways, they want to be a movement made up of "the people" but when it comes to people being interviewed on the news and looking like they have no idea what they are talking about OWS is quick to say that those people do not represent the whole movement.

Exactly. It's unfortunate when the overall message is good, but the combo of cameras and protestors who shouldnt be talking to mass media, ruin it.

link   
reply to post by dreamseeker

You certainly can't get the positive attention you want acting like exactly who your opponents think you are. Without respect, there is no movement.

You don't respect others rights, who is going to respect yours? You harm innocent business owners who will respect that? You block bridges and deny others the right to use them, who will respect that? You allow drugs and drunken parties and trash public places and don't clean up, who will respect that? You intentionally bait the Police and then lie about it, who will respect that? That is not a Freedom of Speech issue. It's an you don't give a damn about anyone else and their Rights issue.

Freedom of Speech is not camping out for no reason, invading private property or harming others financially who are not part of it. That is just plain old crime.

Stop being lazy and pretending to care when you don't even care enough to organize and self police. When you can't be bothered to set up the gathering and work with the authorities in a civilized way. This is not a country where the military is opening fire on you. You do it right you can gather in huge numbers. You can get good coverage and respect. When you don't do that, credibility is out the window.

Too many other groups have been able to do it right without any problems for this movement to claim they can't do it right themselves. You don't do it because you don't want too. The main cause is attention seeking and mayhem for mayhem's sake. If your leaders are so out of touch with reality they don't know that, why follow the fools. Following fools makes you a fool it seems to me.

Try doing right and you will win the support back. Otherwise why bother as you don't really care. It's a charade to cover up for a collective of little me, me, me brats.
edit on 11/17/2011 by Blaine91555 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 17 2011 @ 03:52 PM
link   
If we get some Command and Control of this movement and the protesters all get on the same page then this could really pick up some steam, Dont give the police any reason to try and evict the protesters who by definition have to right to protest and speak freely.

posted on Nov, 17 2011 @ 03:58 PM
link   

Freedom of Speech is not camping out for no reason, invading private property or harming others financially who are not part of it. That is just plain old crime.

Who exactly was it that said one could privatise what belongs to everyone? Is it simply because we inherited a system of corruption where kingdoms rose and fell by the sword? That seems irresponsible to me.

Everything is given freely.

posted on Nov, 17 2011 @ 04:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by Blu82
If we get some Command and Control of this movement and the protesters all get on the same page then this could really pick up some steam, Dont give the police any reason to try and evict the protesters who by definition have to right to protest and speak freely.

I agree with that. But how is it even possible? If the MAJORITY of people aren't on the same page (Which OWS WAS NOT) it's not gonna work. There needs to be a pre-occupy statement released to the media. And it needs to be pushed for months before the protest. You can't give every homeless dude looking for a camera to vent at credibility. That needs to be confirmed before the protest. If you organizers need some help, which you do, PM me.

posted on Nov, 17 2011 @ 04:04 PM
link   
At the start, I was sympathetic to this movement, until it quickly became apparent that these are the kind of people who couldn't organise a piss-up in a brewery.

The way that they've gone about everything makes them look like nothing more than overgrown children, complete with their childlike role-play communities.

If I wasn't cringing so much, I'd be facepalming - or vice versa.

posted on Nov, 17 2011 @ 04:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by usernamehere

Who exactly was it that said one could privatise what belongs to everyone?

ummm, the constitution?
Look up what soviet russia was like, they nationalized everything for everyone and look how that turned out.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join