It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Do you guys not care that their trying to censor the internet?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 16 2011 @ 11:23 PM
link   
I don't see any threads regarding to this topic, I heard this from twitter. Are they really censoring it? Can someone show me the bill?

posted on Nov, 16 2011 @ 11:26 PM
link   
reply to post by IndigoValor

You make it sound like the people run the country.
We care, but how do you fight an entity with no head? That entity being the corporate machine.

posted on Nov, 16 2011 @ 11:29 PM
link   
of course we all care but really what can we do right !!!
its funny you just realized this ....... yes its true ....But its not like something that just happened its been going on for a long while now ....Net neutrality and so on and so forth the big kill switch for the net ....
edit on 16-11-2011 by Mandelbrot2012 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 16 2011 @ 11:37 PM
link   
americancensorship.org...

you can find more information regarding this on there.

posted on Nov, 16 2011 @ 11:38 PM
link   
If you are concerned, get yourself a server and a good modem. Find other people with the same. You set up a parallel network. If you are very good, you can even use the Internet still as a backbone for some forum transfers.

Transfer speeds are way better than they used to be, so while your network at first won't be quite as shiny it'll still be full of information.

Having control of where you are sharing information is way better than people creating a competing grid. Though it might be interesting to see if an competing grid trying to avoid detection might improve transfer processes to be less bandwidth intensive to avoid detection.

Some control is better than none. The government knows it, and so should you.

posted on Nov, 16 2011 @ 11:39 PM
link   
As weird as it is I think I have seen this on here before too ..........Try the Ats search function !!!! But its nice to be reminded of things like this for us who may forget and to bring it to new users too who have no idea about it
Lots of great info here on this topic
edit on 16-11-2011 by Mandelbrot2012 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 16 2011 @ 11:41 PM
link   
reply to post by Evolutionsend

As Bill Gates managed to make software suck, the capitalist use of the Internet has also broken the thing that made the Internet usable, keeping it deregulated is best.

If they break the Internet, people will move to another medium. I still have a couple of modems and remember how to set up a BBS
and use FidoNet but of course this would probably now be implemented over a Spread spectrum Packet radio, this if we fail to create a separated network (a Darkweb/net, I do not see why they refer only to file-sharing on a Darknet P2P is not only about file-sharing).

posted on Nov, 16 2011 @ 11:43 PM
link   
there is no info because they are censoring the people from talking about the censoring!!!!

seriously I very much doubt this stuff will happen but you never know..

my only reason for thinking it wont happen is because this will sevearly affect some of the biggest companies on the internet google, youtube, ect

also this whole thing is not a way to curb piracy because from what I understand you can still access site from their IP address which means you are actually blocked from nothing other then searching for sites and them having a .com which is not a big deal I would just use the IP address..

also for people who are actually smart with computers this will not affect them pirating because we do not use .coms to pirate

all this would do is affect stupid people because it wont be sooo easy anymore to pirate things...

mainly what this bill will do is give the ability to block most people from seeing any sites that they want and censoring the internet of things they dont want the standard sheep to see like the truths of sites like wikileaks because the government do not want you to know the real truth about anything they do... although I do not know why they care people know the truth about plenty of things the government do that are crimes of humanity and we do absolutely nothing about it so why worry about if people know or not...

anyways when they censor it all up i will still get what i want when i want and have no interruptions but good work on the bill...

posted on Nov, 16 2011 @ 11:48 PM
link   
Considering that I witnessed the birth of the internet and its growth into what it is now. Yes, censor it, shut it down I would not care to be quite honest.

posted on Nov, 16 2011 @ 11:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by Skewed
Considering that I witnessed the birth of the internet and its growth into what it is now. Yes, censor it, shut it down I would not care to be quite honest.

lol if you hate it so much whyare you here on the internet posting on forums

posted on Nov, 16 2011 @ 11:55 PM
link   

That would be the ultimate goal. To disrupt all ability to gather in large numbers and disseminate information whether it is in the real world or here. Scary stuff for the Information Ministry. They want all communications to be one way only flowing from them to individuals. Before the internet arrived on the world scene, they had a device that did that. It was called Television. Before that it was called radio. Before that it was called the Papers.

posted on Nov, 17 2011 @ 12:01 AM
link   
The radio system could be used the same way. It is still used for informational purposes. The problem with radio is mostly the big freaking aerials aren't exactly well hidden.

For a bunch of conspiracy theorists, you aren't very good at being conspiratorial.

Being force fed information as a "one way" is something that can happen. Doesn't mean that there isn't other options. It means that you don't want to use them. Your complaints are essentially about convenience.

They take or mess up your shiny toy, bump back to less traceable ones.

If Ba'hai in the Middle East can do it, so can you.
edit on 2011/11/17 by Aeons because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 17 2011 @ 12:02 AM
link   
reply to post by Mandelbrot2012

Probably because they held the first hearing of an internet censorship bill in congress today. I was kind of surprised myself not to see a a big new thread going on about it here.

Then again, not really much else left to say about it.

edit on 11/17/2011 by digitalbluco because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 17 2011 @ 12:13 AM
link   
Hell, if you are really really concerned:

Get your server, get your aerial, get your modem, and download the BBS software you need, and several versions of various transfer protocols that work well via modem and radio.

Get yourself some memory sticks, download several operating systems versions. I might even suggest that you go get some old versions that might be less likely to have been government hacked in the intervening years.

Find and learn how to use compression software. Again, I'd suggest several types and specifically the pared down ones so that you can share them easier with your users. Compression will be your friend.

Start asking around for people who are doing the same to get # or transfer protocols in place.

You can reduce costs by having your data dumps be done in a more coordinated format. Yellowknife to California, and then California to Whitehorse doesn't make much sense for keeping costs down for SysOps.

Get yourself the biggest harddrives you can shove in your server, and start finding the things that you really need and download them. Or data that you can trade.

Oh, and if you are super concerned, get yourself multiple modems. The only good thing about this is that if you have to get on the Internet or some new version of DARPA, you mess with being detected better by keeping your MAC addresses inconsistent.

Wrap in tinfoil and wait for things to blow up.

edit on 2011/11/17 by Aeons because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 17 2011 @ 12:19 AM
link   

THEY'RE NOT THEIR!

posted on Nov, 17 2011 @ 12:21 AM
link   
Curiously they are going to use the same tactics that the PR of China use. I remember the uproar that caused, around the Beijing Olympics, don't hear those voices now. The proposed law is going to be the "Chinese Law" on steroids...guess the slaves have been properly conditioned...

posted on Nov, 17 2011 @ 12:42 AM
link   
See it was always going to happen, you can really do nothing about it,

How long did you think a real open forum for information both illeagal and leagal to be passed about would remain un managed and monitored by what will essentially be E-police....

Nothing can be done to stop this as it is within the best interests of Media Giants/corporations/governments to have control and censorship,

im sure freedom of speech argument etc. with roll on for many years online but the basic principle is currently the internet is like one huge Blackmarket for information and product, that works out as a financial loss and a dangerous scenrio for governments and corporations...

Everyone will be issued a user ID, It will be your online pressence, you will use it to post, buy. share, etc. etc. that is the easiest way to track and monitor everyone...

Everyone logs into a secure server before accessing the internet, essentially privatising the internet access so everyone goes through secure entry and exit to the internet all the time, passwords generated like banks do will make it much harder to crack (with fob type systems) sure there will be ablack market for some things a E-blackmarket if you will, but for mass control of the general populace it will make sense, and there is nothing anyone can really do about it.

posted on Nov, 17 2011 @ 12:58 AM
link   
so are you making your own internet for us to use or what?

posted on Nov, 17 2011 @ 01:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by IndigoValor
I don't see any threads regarding to this topic, I heard this from twitter. Are they really censoring it? Can someone show me the bill?

Wow, that is almost a one line OP.

First of all, twitter is not a reliable source of information. If you hear it on twitter, it is someone's opinion. Not fact. This is ATS folks, we deny ignorance. Secondly, you presented no links for us to research, nor did you research it on google before posting this topic. You didn't even use the ATS search function, and type in "internet censorship". Try it. Please. Read up.

On topic: They can try to censor it. LMAO. There are those of us who watched the internet be born, and we know our way around. Ever hear of TOR or DARKNET? GOPHER? WAIS? IRC? The internet is now world-wide, so there is little hope of any one country censoring anything.

The internet they are "supposedly" trying to censor is the .com TLD's. There's much much more to the interwebs than you could ever imagine.

posted on Nov, 17 2011 @ 01:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by GonzoSinister
See it was always going to happen, you can really do nothing about it,

How long did you think a real open forum for information both illeagal and leagal to be passed about would remain un managed and monitored by what will essentially be E-police....

Nothing can be done to stop this as it is within the best interests of Media Giants/corporations/governments to have control and censorship,

im sure freedom of speech argument etc. with roll on for many years online but the basic principle is currently the internet is like one huge Blackmarket for information and product, that works out as a financial loss and a dangerous scenrio for governments and corporations...

Everyone will be issued a user ID, It will be your online pressence, you will use it to post, buy. share, etc. etc. that is the easiest way to track and monitor everyone...

Everyone logs into a secure server before accessing the internet, essentially privatising the internet access so everyone goes through secure entry and exit to the internet all the time, passwords generated like banks do will make it much harder to crack (with fob type systems) sure there will be ablack market for some things a E-blackmarket if you will, but for mass control of the general populace it will make sense, and there is nothing anyone can really do about it.

You forgot the best part of this plan... You will get the pleasure of paying to use this new system on top of your current ISP bill

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join