It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Coincidence?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 16 2011 @ 03:28 PM
link   
Coincidence is commonly defined as "a chance occurrence of events remarkable either for being simultaneous or for apparently being connected" (dictionary.com).

Do you believe this is possible?

I don't think coincidence is possible, simply because it requires "chance". I don't believe in chance because I think that everything has already happened, is happening, and will happen simultaneously. Therefore, chance is irrelevant.

I have had many occurences in my lifetime which could be considered coincidence. In fact, I've had so many of these occurences that this may be why I do not believe in coincidence.

I find that when I experience a "coincidental" moment, it usually means something big will happen or change as a result of that moment.
edit on 11/16/2011 by ottobot because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 16 2011 @ 04:07 PM
link   
reply to post by ottobot

A coincidence is a chance. They are one and the same, coincidence only differs by being a somewhat expected chance.

posted on Nov, 16 2011 @ 04:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by DAZ21
reply to post by ottobot

A coincidence is a chance. They are one and the same, coincidence only differs by being a somewhat expected chance.

Yes, I believe I stated that. Do you believe in chance or an "expected chance"?

How, exactly, does one "expect" a chance occurence?

posted on Nov, 16 2011 @ 04:13 PM
link   
reply to post by ottobot

I believe we create our own reality, therefore we must create the coincidences in our lives too. Perhaps it happens when we are balanced and positive in our outlook. I have lots of coincidences regarding dreams, whereby the things I dream about appear in my life the next day. Again, perhaps this is possible when we are in tune with ourselves.

posted on Nov, 16 2011 @ 04:15 PM
link   
Have you ever played poker or done some gambling?

If I was to put money on the favourite in a tennis game, I would have a chance, and expect my chance to occur.

posted on Nov, 16 2011 @ 04:20 PM
link   
Chance is luck in future tense. Coincidence is recognised chance in retrospect.

Same thing. One is forward looking and is random due to lack of perspective. The other is backward looking but gains meaning through being experienced.

Your belief system will determine how many random events you feel are linked....

And i think that's just where we started!
edit on 16-11-2011 by stellify because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 16 2011 @ 04:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by DAZ21
Have you ever played poker or done some gambling?

If I was to put money on the favourite in a tennis game, I would have a chance, and expect my chance to occur.

When you gamble, you hope your preferred chance will occur. There is no pre-determined set of variables that tells you your preferred outcome will undoubtedly or even likely happen right when you want it to, which is implied by the word expect. You couldn't gamble if there wasn't an equal (or greater) chance you could lose.

An example of coincidence related to gambling: you go to bet your money against the underdog tennis player, but just as you step up to the window to place your bet, the booth closes. As you walk out, you see on the television that the star player has forfeit the tennis match due to an injury - the underdog won by default. You would have lost all of your cash had the booth not closed.

posted on Nov, 16 2011 @ 04:34 PM
link   
reply to post by ottobot

That would be a coincidence for the greater good. But then it would lead to the question of was it just coincidence or something greater?

posted on Nov, 16 2011 @ 04:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by stellify
Chance is luck in future tense. Coincidence is recognised chance in retrospect.

Same thing. One is forward looking and is random due to lack of perspective. The other is backward looking but gains meaning through being experienced.

Your belief system will determine how many random events you feel are linked....

And i think that's just where we started!
edit on 16-11-2011 by stellify because: (no reason given)

So, what happens if you neither look to a future chance nor recognize a past chance in the present tense? Does the potential chance occurrence even exist? Or, would it only exist once realized/noticed?

posted on Nov, 16 2011 @ 05:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by bluespiral
reply to post by ottobot

I believe we create our own reality, therefore we must create the coincidences in our lives too. Perhaps it happens when we are balanced and positive in our outlook. I have lots of coincidences regarding dreams, whereby the things I dream about appear in my life the next day. Again, perhaps this is possible when we are in tune with ourselves.

If it happens with regularity, it can't be a coincidence.

At what point does it shift from chance to pattern?

posted on Nov, 16 2011 @ 11:12 PM
link   
I think a big part of this is how much attention you pay to it. These happen to all of us very often, it's just that most people don't even notice it, or just dismiss it. The strangest coincidences are probably the most unrecognized, but once you start paying attention they are very strange. I'm at the point where seemingly insignificant coincidences happen daily. Yes, daily, often multiple times a day. They appear to be just things that I am placing a lot of my focus on at that time. An interesting one that happened today, I had just started doing some sit-ups with my back to the tv, I leaned my head back to see a commercial which I had never seen before of a woman doing sit-ups also. What are the odds of that? What does it mean? The average person might not even notice, or if they did they wouldn't even give it any thought, but if you do give these sorts of things your attention, you start to notice them....often. I've been trying to find a pattern but have yet to fully understand it, if there is anything to understand at all.

Noticing these things takes a person who prefers to observe and analyze what they see, and to try to figure out what it means on a personal level, an introvert. The majority of people are extroverts, so it's no surprise that most don't bother interpreting or noticing these strange coincidences.

I'm always open to new models, but I tend to side with the law of attraction related ideologies. If you believe you create your reality you notice that what you put your mind to, will appear to you in time. With coincidence being a less meaningful manifestation, the result is quick, often instantaneous. The long-term would be having found what it is you were born to do, and living that life fully.

Either all of that or I am slowly going insane. Yes, I do ask myself that often.

posted on Nov, 16 2011 @ 11:18 PM
link   
reply to post by ottobot

I don't believe coinsidence exists...

Everything happens for a reason.

Even the word expresses two situations comming together as one...

posted on Nov, 16 2011 @ 11:20 PM
link   
Hmmm

Am reminded of the old saying; "Chance favors the prepared person".

Now is that just a coincidence?

posted on Nov, 17 2011 @ 02:48 AM
link   
reply to post by ottobot

Hello Ottobot,

If the same dream was being repeated,then yes, I would say it was a pattern. But, they vary so much from the rediculous to the sublime. Could it be viewed as a pattern/series of coincidences ?

posted on Nov, 17 2011 @ 02:52 AM
link   
i don't think coincidence excists. There are usually many chances and things around you happening and the word coincidence is in my opinion another word for not being able to understand the dynamics that are involved in it.

posted on Nov, 17 2011 @ 02:56 AM
link   
The word reveals its meaning...

Co...together, at the same time
Incidence...something happening

Something happening at the same time as something else...

...everything happens at 'the same time'...

Akushla

posted on Nov, 17 2011 @ 03:02 AM
link   
reply to post by Swim2themoon

Hello Swim2themoon,

I think you are right, it is all about attention and being aware ...I think Jung called it synchronicity/meaningful coincidences, and Echhart Tolle talks about it too. The more aware we become the more we can create these meaningful connections/coincidences in our lives. It is interesting to look back and see how important some of these have been in our lives. The secret seems to be awareness and being present.....not easy !!

posted on Nov, 17 2011 @ 04:15 PM
link   
Coincidence is kNot coincidence unless it's kNot coincidence, then it might be coincidence.

Ribbit

posted on Nov, 18 2011 @ 07:12 AM
link   
reply to post by ottobot

Only exists because you've noticed it and ascribed it meaning because you want it to mean something.

I have had many 'coincidences' in my life...but believe deep down they are random due to the fact that I think humans always tend to seek meaning in things.

posted on Nov, 18 2011 @ 09:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by stellify
reply to post by ottobot

Only exists because you've noticed it and ascribed it meaning because you want it to mean something.

I have had many 'coincidences' in my life...but believe deep down they are random due to the fact that I think humans always tend to seek meaning in things.

So, what you're saying is... everything that ever happens occurs randomly with no purpose and no reason. It's all just a happy accident?

Brings to mind: www.geekfill.com....

top topics

<<   2 >>

join