It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

PETA Slams Mario Over Use of Fur Suit. Wait....what?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 15 2011 @ 09:02 PM
link   
[color=dodgerblue]I saw this on the yahoo main page and thought... 'Seriously?'

On Monday, the controversial organization issued a press release attacking iconic Nintendo mascot Mario for wearing a 'Tanooki' suit in his latest adventure, the Nintendo 3DS game Super Mario 3D Land, which hit shelves on Sunday. "Tanooki may be just a "suit" in Mario games, but by wearing the skin of an animal, Mario is sending the message that it's OK to wear fur," PETA says

[color=dodgerblue]What is your opinion, ATS? Do you think that a video game character can influence people to wear fur?

Makes no sense to me. I think people these days get offended way too easily and make issues where there shouldn't be any. This story kind of takes the cake. Why are they wasting their time on an image in a video game when they could be out, I don't know, saving some actual animals?

Source
edit on 15-11-2011 by daryllyn because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 15 2011 @ 09:09 PM
link   

posted on Nov, 15 2011 @ 09:10 PM
link   
they should see all the beast's I've slain in skyrim. i would be getting quite a hefty letter

link   
They are either needing money or need attention. Marios been around for 20 + years and they are just now going after him? Please.

link   
PETA are violent activists who protest animals but think nothing of abortions and killing real human babies.

link   
reply to post by daryllyn

Well sure. I totally agree. Mario is out of control, killing dragons and turtles. He doesn't just kill em either, he pounces on them and shoots them across the screen on their back! That is torture!

I'm sure no PETA member ever benefited from any animal. I'm sure none of them wear contacts or had an ancestor protected by leathers. I'm sure none of their ancestors ever rode a horse or plowed a field with the benefit of animals. I'm sure none of them realize that their very annoying existence is the result of domestication, capture, and exploitation of animals.

Much of what we know about the function of our eyes is the result of studies that began over 50 years ago on the large, compound eyes of the horseshoe crab.

Link

Ahhh, give em a break I guess. There really is some unethical treatment out there, and someone has to toot the horn and raise the alarm flag. Let em go, I don't want to do it.

posted on Nov, 15 2011 @ 09:13 PM
link   
PETA has been a bit over the top.. well pretty much since their inception.

What they fail to see is how being sensationalistic in their pronouncements just brings into question their credibility.

When your exaggerations become known as your stereotype... not much you say will be taken seriously.

Which is a disservice to all who take cruelty to animals seriously.
edit on 15-11-2011 by Resinveins because: addendum

posted on Nov, 15 2011 @ 09:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by OUNjahhryn
they should see all the beast's I've slain in skyrim. i would be getting quite a hefty letter

[color=deepskyblue]Not sure what skyrim is but I am sure that there are games that do a lot worse to imaginary animals than poor mario

They must be needing attention, like another poster mentioned.

posted on Nov, 15 2011 @ 09:15 PM
link   
reply to post by OUNjahhryn

lol yeah skyrim should piss them off speaking of skyrim have you seen the kids knife fighting yet? its kinda weird to see them go from bullying to one kid running for a knife then shanking the bully

more on topic stuff like this is why no one takes peta seriously any more they only get attention when they take off their clothes and roll around in blood i figured they would have more problems to deal with then what the frack mario is wearing in a video game face palm peta face palm

posted on Nov, 15 2011 @ 09:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by BinarySamurai
They are either needing money or need attention. Marios been around for 20 + years and they are just now going after him? Please.

[color=dodgerblue]I grew up on Mario. I am sure that I have killed about a thousand of those little turtles!

I think PETA is being ridiculous. They should go save some real live animals instead of picking on a video game.

I think your statement about them needing attention is accurate. There is no bad publicity, right?

posted on Nov, 15 2011 @ 09:19 PM
link   
P.E.T.A.

People Eating Tasty Animals

posted on Nov, 15 2011 @ 09:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by Resinveins
PETA has been a bit over the top.. well pretty much since their inception.

What they fail to see is how being sensationalistic in their pronouncements just brings into question their credibility.

When your exaggerations become known as your stereotype... not much you say will be taken seriously.

Which is a disservice to all who take cruelty to animals seriously.
edit on 15-11-2011 by Resinveins because: addendum

[color=deepskyblue]Ah, yes. The boy who cried wolf, right?

It is very much a disservice to people who take animal cruelty seriously.

posted on Nov, 15 2011 @ 09:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by daryllyn
Why are they wasting their time on an image in a video game when they could be out, I don't know, saving some actual animals?

Actually, its probably best that they are beating up on a video game character, they don't do so well in the animal saving area...

PETA kills animals. By the thousands.

From July 1998 through December 2009, People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals (PETA) killed over 23,000 dogs, cats, and other "companion animals." That's more than five defenseless creatures every day. PETA has a walk-in freezer to store the dead bodies, and contracts with a Virginia Beach company to cremate them.

Not counting the pets PETA spayed and neutered, the group put to death over 90 percent of the animals it took in during the last five years. And its angel-of-death pattern shows no sign of changing.

Source

ETA:

Originally posted by wlord
i was too distracted by your avatar to read your post, i'm sure it's good though. very good. the post i mean.
yea.

I think someone's keyboard just got a little stickier.

edit on 11/15/11 by FortAnthem because:

posted on Nov, 15 2011 @ 09:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by FortAnthem

Originally posted by daryllyn
[color=dodgerblue] Why are they wasting their time on an image in a video game when they could be out, I don't know, saving some actual animals?

Actually, its probably best that they are beating up on a video game character, they don't do so well in the animal saving area...

PETA kills animals. By the thousands.

From July 1998 through December 2009, People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals (PETA) killed over 23,000 dogs, cats, and other "companion animals." That's more than five defenseless creatures every day. PETA has a walk-in freezer to store the dead bodies, and contracts with a Virginia Beach company to cremate them.

Not counting the pets PETA spayed and neutered, the group put to death over 90 percent of the animals it took in during the last five years. And its angel-of-death pattern shows no sign of changing.

Source

[color=deeppink]Thanks for the contribution. I don't know a lot about PETA as I usually only hear about their ridiculousness such as the story in the OP...

I will go have a read.

posted on Nov, 15 2011 @ 09:24 PM
link   
I seriously lol'd when I read the article.
What about on the Wii when he wears a penguin suit? Or the frog suit? LOL oh PETA you silly gooses.

posted on Nov, 15 2011 @ 09:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by Vanna
I seriously lol'd when I read the article.
What about on the Wii when he wears a penguin suit? Or the frog suit? LOL oh PETA you silly gooses.

Vanna...PETA would probably come after you for animal cruelty for your avatar alone.....btw, I Love your avatar

posted on Nov, 15 2011 @ 09:27 PM
link   
I believe the reason that PETA did this is because they lost their partnership with Nintendo.

I subscribe to the PETA kids newsletter for the sole purpose of entering their Nintendo contests, but lately their hasn't been any.

What I don't get is why PETA only realized this now!? Mario has been able to do that since Mario 3 on NES.
If they really cared about this stuff, they would go after the hunting games such as Buck Hunter which is a very popular arcade game.

posted on Nov, 15 2011 @ 09:29 PM
link   
They bitch about Mario wearing fur but make no mention of Mario punching Yoshi in the back of the head to make his tongue come out! LMAO what a dumb organization.

I hate PETA. Love animals, but cannot tolerate PETA.

posted on Nov, 15 2011 @ 09:32 PM
link   
reply to post by Fishticon84

If they really cared about this stuff, they would go after the hunting games such as Buck Hunter which is a very popular arcade game.

They politically correct soccer-mom types that by Mario are easier to influence than the Buck Hunter types that are stubborn just for the sake of being stubborn.

I'd say you are onto something with their new beef with Nintendo. That is probably their sudden motivation. I think its fairly obvious why they don't take on the Buck Hunter, Grand Theft Auto crowd though!

posted on Nov, 15 2011 @ 09:33 PM
link   
I don't like the idea of cruelty to animals, but placing on display with their names, characters that DON'T exist is taking things to far.

All they are doing is destroying the possibility of any one really helping them when needed the most.

Hey someone is killing whales for no reason....

Well dont call PETA they only try to save video game character's that dont exist.

Peace, NRE,

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join