It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mass. School district to close tuesday for ISLAMIC holiday?!

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+8 more 
posted on Nov, 7 2011 @ 11:48 AM
link   
So I didnt know where to post this mods please move accordingly. This is TOO FAR to me. What is going on in the US. We have become a nation of sissies. Whatever happened to ethnocentrism being a POSITIVE thing for a country?! We should not be letting this to affect the way we do things in THIS country, If they want to celebrate the holiday, then stay home, like the jews do when they have a holiday not celebrated in this country! This is an outrage Im sorry.
www.theblaze.com...

posted on Nov, 7 2011 @ 11:55 AM
link   
This is not a federal holiday. What happened to the so-called separation of church and state?

Where is the ACLU?

posted on Nov, 7 2011 @ 11:55 AM
link   

posted on Nov, 7 2011 @ 11:56 AM
link   

+51 more 
posted on Nov, 7 2011 @ 11:56 AM
link   
reply to post by AllUrChips

This doesn't bother me.

Not even a little bit. What is wrong with observing a Muslim holiday? It is not like this was issued federally.
This is the result of a local democratic process. This locality decided they wanted to do this, it is legal.

What is the big problem you have with it? It is Ok, for 1 religion to have days off but not another? Why? What is wrong with it? Do you just not like the Muslim religion? Is it the break in tradition of only honoring traditional Christian holidays? Seriously, what is your beef?

This is what freedom is all about.

edit on 7-11-2011 by sageofmonticello because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 7 2011 @ 11:57 AM
link   
Also I noticed a show coming out on TLC called american muslim? Just the trailer really upset me the way they are trying to bring their sharia law to this country. Look, your welcome to immigrate here, or practice your countries ways as long as it falls within the peramiters of US LAW. Period!
edit on 7-11-2011 by AllUrChips because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 7 2011 @ 11:59 AM
link   

posted on Nov, 7 2011 @ 12:00 PM
link   
eid could only have been sunday or monday in north america not tuesday

+13 more 
posted on Nov, 7 2011 @ 12:00 PM
link   
high population of muslims, they close for jewish holidays as well, it's just one holiday and clearly this is reported to stir up things as they choose to leave out the fact that after slaughtered, or as the article reads "sacrificed" the animal is cooked and shared with as many people as possible including the poor and needy, but nope not important to write, as they just make it seem like it's some crazy pagan occult sacrifice to satan.

posted on Nov, 7 2011 @ 12:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by sageofmonticello

This doesn't bother me.

Not even a little bit. What is wrong with observing a Muslim holiday? It is not like this was issued federally.
This is the result of a local democratic process. This locality decided they wanted to do this, it is legal.

This is BS and you know it. If a decision on having a prayer in school, or before a football game, was made locally, using the democratic process, the ACLU would be all over it.

The ACLU has sued school districts for much less than this.
edit on 7-11-2011 by Carseller4 because: ...

posted on Nov, 7 2011 @ 12:06 PM
link   
Hey, I got an idea, lets just take the whole year off, trade christmas with kwanza, and easter for some other countries liking. HOW ABOUT this is AMERICA and this is the exact reason we are losing our country slowly but surely, and I dont have to stand for it, you can, IM NOT!

+1 more 
posted on Nov, 7 2011 @ 12:08 PM
link   

Don't worry.
The school board will just send the kids to school on the 4th of July as a make-up day.

+15 more 
posted on Nov, 7 2011 @ 12:08 PM
link   
reply to post by Carseller4

Last time I checked every school in the country is closed on DEC 25th.

We are not talking about prayer, we are talking about a school that decided that enough kids were gone on a certain religious holiday to warrant closing the school on that date.

Are you OK with your kids going to school on Christmas day?

i don't have any problem with a school closing on the 12/25 or any other religious holiday that the locality deems appropriate. In case you missed it, this school has a large muslim population.

+9 more 
posted on Nov, 7 2011 @ 12:09 PM
link   

There are 1.5 billion Muslims world wide...it's not like celebrating an Islamic holiday is a stretch. We always got out for 'Christmas break'.

With regards to your comment about ethnocentrism: that was never a good idea. It promotes bigotry, not to mention America has never been able to be a proper ethnocentric country because we are a country full of mongrels by default.

I think the fact that America is supposed to be a melting pot of culture is what makes it wonderful.

posted on Nov, 7 2011 @ 12:10 PM
link   

We are not talking about prayer, we are talking about a school that decided that enough kids were gone on a certain religious holiday to warrant closing the school on that date.

Last time I checked Christmas is a Federal Holiday.

posted on Nov, 7 2011 @ 12:13 PM
link   

i don't have any problem with a school closing on the 12/25 or any other religious holiday that the locality deems appropriate. In case you missed it, this school has a large muslim population.

Actually we are talking bout a WHOLE DISTRICT. Not one school.

+12 more 
posted on Nov, 7 2011 @ 12:15 PM
link   

I really don't care. This is about putting your thumb down hard on a religion you don't like.

Freedom is about tolerance of others freedom. If you don't like freedom you are in the wrong country.

+14 more 
posted on Nov, 7 2011 @ 12:17 PM
link   
They close schools for Christian and Jewish holidays, why not Islamic?

posted on Nov, 7 2011 @ 12:17 PM
link   
reply to post by relpobre000

There are many GOOD thing about being ethnocentric. Look it up again. EVERY country is ethnocentric. ( means they feel their cultures and values and beliefs are superior to anothers. So how is that bad?

posted on Nov, 7 2011 @ 12:18 PM
link   

So you are OK when a federal government dictates school closing on a religious holiday but not when a local school district does it? That is real consistent of you.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join