It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mass. School district to close tuesday for ISLAMIC holiday?!

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 7 2011 @ 12:19 PM
link   
reply to post by sageofmonticello

Who said I dont like them? I dont agree with them trying to establish their countries beliefs in MY COUNTRY. Yes I sais MY country.

posted on Nov, 7 2011 @ 12:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by HomerinNC
They close schools for Christian and Jewish holidays, why not Islamic?

Wiccan?
Druid?
Flying Spaghetti Monster?
Buddism?
Tao?
Confusism?
Satanism?
Klingon?
Jedi?

Where does it end?

posted on Nov, 7 2011 @ 12:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by AllUrChips
reply to post by relpobre000

There are many GOOD thing about being ethnocentric. Look it up again. EVERY country is ethnocentric. ( means they feel their cultures and values and beliefs are superior to anothers. So how is that bad?

Do you happen to recall the Civil Rights movement of the 1950s and 60s? Yeah, that was a response to white 'ethnocentrism'.

The irony of America is that its culture is a bastardization/conglomeration of other cultures. This country was built on immigration. Our values and beliefs are as varied as the people that make up this country.

Also: According to the 'Treaty of Tripoli' of 1797 America isn't a Christian (or any other religion) nation.
edit on 7-11-2011 by relpobre000 because: eta

edit on 7-11-2011 by relpobre000 because: Indeed.

posted on Nov, 7 2011 @ 12:26 PM
link   
reply to post by beezzer

if they do it for 1 or 2 religions, why not the rest?

+5 more 
posted on Nov, 7 2011 @ 12:29 PM
link   
reply to post by AllUrChips

What are you even talking about what country is establishing their country's values in your country?

This is a discussion about american citizens and their religions. I missed in the article where it said that these people that are going to this public school were not citizens of the USA.

Your problem is with US Muslims getting the same rights as US Christians. We are not talking about one country invading another country. You are sounding more and more like a lunatic

posted on Nov, 7 2011 @ 12:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by HomerinNC
reply to post by beezzer

if they do it for 1 or 2 religions, why not the rest?

Because we'd end up just working the third tuesday of every other month.

posted on Nov, 7 2011 @ 12:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by relpobre000

reply to post by relpobre000

There are many GOOD thing about being ethnocentric. Look it up again. EVERY country is ethnocentric. ( means they feel their cultures and values and beliefs are superior to anothers. So how is that bad?

Do you happen to recall the Civil Rights movement of the 1950s and 60s? Yeah, that was a result of white 'ethnocentrism'.

The irony of America is that its culture is a bastardization/conglomeration of other cultures. This country was built on immigration. Our values and beliefs are as varied as the people that make up this country.

Also: According to the 'Treaty of Tripoli' of 1797 America isn't a Christian (or any other religion) nation.

Um you better look that up again. The civil rights movement was about race. Ethnocentrism is just what I defined earlier, has nothing to do with race. Only ones own shallow mind is concerned with race.

posted on Nov, 7 2011 @ 12:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by sageofmonticello

What are you even talking about what country is establishing their country's values in your country?

This is a discussion about american citizens and their religions. I missed in the article where it said that these people that are going to this public school were not citizens of the USA.

Your problem is with US Muslims getting the same rights as US Christians. We are not talking about one country invading another country. You are sounding more and more like a lunatic

Your 100% correct.
2nd line.
And?

posted on Nov, 7 2011 @ 12:36 PM
link   
Ok then; let's keep schools open for the christian and jewish myths and holidays too. Kids that haven't been indoctrinated into a cult can go or not those days, as they choose. The school can give a day to all those under-employed substitute teachers if they're willing to work the holiday.

Problem solved.

Next?

posted on Nov, 7 2011 @ 12:38 PM
link   

Um you better look that up again. The civil rights movement was about race. Ethnocentrism is just what I defined earlier, has nothing to do with race.

You're splitting hair over semantics. Many whites believed that their culture/values etc. were superior to that of the Africans. It wasn't just about skin color.

Only ones own shallow mind is concerned with race.

As opposed to your lofty mind which is concerned with which religion a person subscribes to.

ETA: I agree with the above poster; one imaginary sky wizard is just as ridiculous as another imaginary sky wizard. But I still find your bigotry amusing and alarming.

posted on Nov, 7 2011 @ 12:44 PM
link   
Welcome to democracy. Go occupy main street if you don't like it.

Oooga Booga!!

Muslim Bogey man!

Just kidding I didn't mean to sound harsh. It's just I don't see this as that big of a deal. I respect your opinion to think differently though.
edit on 7-11-2011 by Corruption Exposed because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 7 2011 @ 12:45 PM
link   
reply to post by beezzer

why should it end? This is democracy in action. If a school district is predominately followers of the flying spaghetti monster they should still get to have the same rights.

This is not being forced. This was put up for consideration and through the accepted democratic process. This locality decided this is what works for them, what is wrong with that?

+7 more 
posted on Nov, 7 2011 @ 12:48 PM
link   
The following is my opinion as a member participating in this discussion.

Such a strange thing to see Americans, complaining about fellow Americans having the same rights of religion as they do.

I swear that country is the most we agree, no we disagree nation on the planet. Honestly though, what's the difference if your closing thh district for Christmas? Or any other religious holiday.

You should be against religion in schools then, not against Muslims claiming the same rights that you are afforded.

~Keeper

As an ATS Staff Member, I will not moderate in threads such as this where I have participated as a member.

posted on Nov, 7 2011 @ 12:50 PM
link   

Not all Americans are Christian. Why do you equate the two? What about the teachers who are that religion? You said they should just stay home. Is that what you really are proposing? Soooooo they need to use their vacation days to celebrate their holidays, but Christian teachers get it off and still have their vacation days? Seems unbalanced.

posted on Nov, 7 2011 @ 12:50 PM
link   

Political Correctness = Cancer of the West

posted on Nov, 7 2011 @ 12:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by relpobre000

Um you better look that up again. The civil rights movement was about race. Ethnocentrism is just what I defined earlier, has nothing to do with race.

You're splitting hair over semantics. Many whites believed that their culture/values etc. were superior to that of the Africans. It wasn't just about skin color.

Only ones own shallow mind is concerned with race.

As opposed to your lofty mind which is concerned with which religion a person subscribes to.

ETA: I agree with the above poster; one imaginary sky wizard is just as ridiculous as another imaginary sky wizard. But I still find your bigotry amusing and alarming.

The op did say ethnocentrism was a good thing. The line between that and bigotry is indeed razor thin. I don't get the big deal is other than the op making it a big deal. After all, if students aren't there, why not shut down and save the district (which I am sure is underfunded as are all school districts) some money.
That whole "They took our jeeerbs!" South Park mentality against everyone of the op's own persuasion will get them far on a message board, but life is not the internet.

posted on Nov, 7 2011 @ 12:52 PM
link   

So I didnt know where to post this mods please move accordingly. This is TOO FAR to me. What is going on in the US. We have become a nation of sissies. Whatever happened to ethnocentrism being a POSITIVE thing for a country?! We should not be letting this to affect the way we do things in THIS country, If they want to celebrate the holiday, then stay home, like the jews do when they have a holiday not celebrated in this country! This is an outrage Im sorry.
www.theblaze.com...

so would you be happy if my country the UAE and other GCC countries cancelled new years holiday and not allow any one from europe or america or canada and australia or any christian to celebrate christmas?

posted on Nov, 7 2011 @ 12:54 PM
link   
Who cares if they have a day off for a Muslim holiday ? If a child's Muslim, they will appreciate it; if a child's not a Muslim, then they'll also appreciate getting the day off school.

Really, the only people who would be bothered about a day off for another religion's holiday, are bigots. Eid doesn't mean anything to non-Muslims, Christmas doesn't have any significance to non-Christians and Yom Kippur doesn't have any significance to non-Jews. So why do people get their knickers in a twist about something which they don't believe in ?

posted on Nov, 7 2011 @ 12:57 PM
link   

Ok, now, first of all this is a PUBLIC school district, right?

It says right in the article that the decision was based on the size of the Muslim population attending these public schools.

You do realize that public school get funded based on the number of children that show up each day for school, don't you?

Why should the district stay open if the entire Muslim population will be taking the day off?

www.theblaze.com...

Officials claims that the size of the Muslim population as well as a general push for inclusiveness are the reasons behind the policy change. Currently, the district closes for some Jewish and Christian holidays, thus closing for an Islamic holiday is being defended as a common-sense ideal

The simple solution would be if you are this unhappy about the decision of the school district to do this, yank your kids out and put them in private school!

posted on Nov, 7 2011 @ 01:01 PM
link   
This is not about Muslims getting a day off for one of their so-called holidays.

This is about the silence of the ACLU and other Christian hating organizations.

If a school district decided to take the day off for say...The National Day of Prayer (not a national holiday), the ACLU would be all over it.

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join