It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Occupy "The Hood" Not A Joke

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 31 2011 @ 02:32 PM
link   
Explicit language in this video.

I love how there are all types of people here, and at every other Occupy movement. Together in Solidarity.

I am excited! These people's language may offend those who don't understand their culture.

posted on Oct, 31 2011 @ 02:34 PM
link   
I pray all the occupiers can make a good difference in the change they seek..

posted on Oct, 31 2011 @ 02:37 PM
link   
Hmmm so odd that these people want to bite the hand that feeds them. the bottom 47% pay no income taxes while they take up just about all the resources in terms of gov assistance.

posted on Oct, 31 2011 @ 02:40 PM
link   
i see a bunch of people ranting...

this has nothing to do with the OWS and the overall goal of the movement.

they talked about:
- racism from police
- a piece of legislature that needs to be killed
- power to the people
- walmart not hiring criminals
- wanting jobs and needing them now
- complaining their jobs went overseas

and oh yeah..

i heard someone drop the term 1%, once or twice..

these people, for me, do not represent the OWS movement.

that doesn't mean they're not right about what they're saying.
edit on 31-10-2011 by kn0wh0w because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 31 2011 @ 02:45 PM
link   
reply to post by Fitch303

So I guess, OWS then only represents 52% [and falling] not 99%.
OWS is starting to sound a bit elitist.

posted on Oct, 31 2011 @ 02:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by Fitch303
Hmmm so odd that these people want to bite the hand that feeds them. the bottom 47% pay no income taxes while they take up just about all the resources in terms of gov assistance.

They are protesting a bill which allows employers to discriminate against people who have felonies even if their crime was non-violent and is not related to the job. I have been charge but not yet convicted with a non-violent felony so I support these people.

They are also protesting racial profiling, and have some damn good arguments.

DENY IGNORANCE.

People need to stop judging each other......

...and see that we are all the same on a human level, we have just have all experienced different things which is how our behaviors and attitudes have been shaped.

posted on Oct, 31 2011 @ 02:49 PM
link   
reply to post by kn0wh0w

Exactly right. These folks are drowning out what should be the message and destroying the movements credibility.

Sooner or later I'm afraid the violent ones will have their day. It's inevitable in fact. By then those with a real message will have to walk away. Once SEIU and the Obama backers got involved they intend on taking it over. They will do that with in pocket radicals and use the illiterate and desperate as pawns.

Sadly there are millions of unfilled high paying jobs open right now as I type. Unemployment among college graduates is very low, under 4%. Those protestors sound to me like they should be protesting for available, cheap colleges if they want good pay and jobs. If they want government handouts, who cares what they want.

posted on Oct, 31 2011 @ 02:53 PM
link   
reply to post by CREAM

So your saying that if I own a business I should be made to hire someone that may not have beaten/raped/killed someone but still is a criminal?? Im sorry but I like to know who works for me.

posted on Oct, 31 2011 @ 02:57 PM
link   
I'm all for employers being allowed to choose if they want to employ someone with a felony. It's a lot more telling seeing felony on a job application than just about anything else.

Also, does anyone else think that they would accidentally mess up during one of those chants?

Guy with bullhorn : 'What do we want?'

Everyone else : 'Jobs!'

Domo1 : 'Beer!, aw crap'

Silence...

posted on Oct, 31 2011 @ 03:03 PM
link   
occupy the hood should join forces with occupy wall street.

i think 10,000 angry hood residents will more than make bankers sweat. they probably wouldn't even show up to work if they saw an angry black man with a megaphone riling up a few hundred o.g.'s and 50 cent "in da hood" playing in the background.

wouldn't it be ironic if black people saved america. the most used, exploited and suffered people in the history of the united states. maybe excluding the native americans.

despised, unjustly incarcerated, lynched, murdered, framed, beaten, enslaved, thrown aside, denied opportunities, jobs, wages, education, healthcare. you name it they suffered it. and black america rises up to save white america from exploitation.

i guess white people are starting to see that evil is color blind.

right now the wannabe hippies, pot heads and librarians aren't high up on the intimidation factor.
edit on 31-10-2011 by randomname because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 31 2011 @ 03:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by NoNameBrand
reply to post by CREAM

So your saying that if I own a business I should be made to hire someone that may not have beaten/raped/killed someone but still is a criminal?? Im sorry but I like to know who works for me.

If they have had a drug charge in the past but are consenting to your drug testing, then there is no reason for them not to work for you. You should judge them by their work and not their past.

posted on Oct, 31 2011 @ 03:11 PM
link   
reply to post by CREAM

I agree that if they had a drug charge and will consent to the testing then there is no issue, however, in your initial post all you said was people that had non violent felony charges. There are a hell of a lot of felony charges out there that are not just some small time user getting busted on a drug charge. That was my point. Ive got no problem hiring someone who has made a mistake or two, what I have a problem with is having to hire someone who has been charged with robbery. Last thing I want is to have this guy/girl inside my warehouse full of product.

edit: I only used robbery as an example. There are others that I would not like to hire also.
edit on 31-10-2011 by NoNameBrand because: added more

posted on Oct, 31 2011 @ 03:28 PM
link   

reply to post by CREAM

I agree that if they had a drug charge and will consent to the testing then there is no issue, however, in your initial post all you said was people that had non violent felony charges. There are a hell of a lot of felony charges out there that are not just some small time user getting busted on a drug charge. That was my point. Ive got no problem hiring someone who has made a mistake or two, what I have a problem with is having to hire someone who has been charged with robbery. Last thing I want is to have this guy/girl inside my warehouse full of product.

edit: I only used robbery as an example. There are others that I would not like to hire also.
edit on 31-10-2011 by NoNameBrand because: added more

I can understand and respect that stance, I get pretty worked about certain things.

And honestly I don't know enough about the bill in question to know the specifics.

posted on Oct, 31 2011 @ 03:32 PM
link   
reply to post by Fitch303

They pay plenty of other taxes, however. And do you know WHY they don't pay income taxes?

Because they're #ing poor.

Try it out sometime, it's not exactly liberating.

And hell, the tax still gets taken out of their paychecks, even if they DO get it back - of course your week-to-week paycheck has a bigger impact on your finances than a thousand bucks coming back in April...
edit on 31/10/2011 by TheWalkingFox because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 31 2011 @ 04:05 PM
link   

reply to post by CREAM

Your statement there is pretty discriminatory don't you think. People make mistakes and should not suffer a life time once thier punishment has been served.

I myself think that killers and rapists should be put to sleep. If not and they served thier punishment they should be entitled to get a job like everyone else. They still need money to live and eat.

To the OP great thread S&F for you. I Think people need to understand that we are all in this together. Black, white, rascist, or criminal. We are all still people and we are all getting the big ole pickle up in the jar, if you get what I'm saying.

From the video I saw at least I know what occupy the hood wants. They want equality and work/jobs.

OWS doesn't even have as clear of a mission statement that the OTH has.

Its time to come together and unify like the old man said at the end. Forget all the stupid garbage that seperates us for one god dam minute, UNITE AND FIGHT ...............

WHAT DO WE WANT?

"LIFE"
"LIBERTY"
"THE PERSUIT OF HAPPINESS"

WHAT DID WE GET?

"NO JOBS"
"NO JUSTICE"
"POVERTY AND SADNESS"

posted on Oct, 31 2011 @ 04:10 PM
link   
reply to post by Idotwhat

Well if you read my second post, you will see that I have no problem with people who have made a stupid mistake or two. My issue was with people that have IMO commited serious crimes. I do not, and I believe I should have the right NOT to hire them.

posted on Oct, 31 2011 @ 04:26 PM
link   
reply to post by NoNameBrand

I did read your second post and it didn't justify the first one. Its still discrimination, If it was legal to do then you would be basically denying that person thier right to life.

At least by todays standards because you need to work for money to obtain food, water, etc.

You will say next they can still live off the land I don't care. Thats true then why even have prisons just ship them away why don't you. They aren't people no more thier just "criminals"....

Serious or not if time servered then they paid thier due. I understand why you would not want to hire someone like that but once we start dehumanizing people for thier wrongs we no longer are human.

I would rather them working and being busy then bored and wondering around looking to hurt another. Maybe no work was the initial cause of the voilent act in the first place.

edit on 31-10-2011 by Idotwhat because: spelling error

posted on Oct, 31 2011 @ 04:55 PM
link   
Plenty of non-criminals looking for work to even consider hiring an ex-criminal.

posted on Oct, 31 2011 @ 05:04 PM
link   

reply to post by CREAM

This is one reason capitalism, private ownership of the means of production, is wrong imo.

It gives people the right to deny someone else a way of providing for themselves. ALL Human Beings deserve the right to provide for themselves imo. Someone who has been to jail, and already paid the price for their crimes, should not continue being punished.

This is why the people need to own and control the means of production, we should have control over our own labour. That way the 'private owner' can not dictate who eats, or not.

BTW do you realise by denying someone a job you are creating a burden on the tax payer?

edit on 10/31/2011 by ANOK because: typo

posted on Oct, 31 2011 @ 05:18 PM
link   
"If your not for my people,Im not for you!"

This is NOT what America needs.

I took the advice of those who have asked me to go to an OWS Rally. I missed the Chicago one,so I went to the Milwaukee one. The turn out was small. Alot of recall Walker signs,and Union signs. ALOT. I asked a few questions,and the number 1 issue was JOBS. So being the person I am,I asked why hasnt Obama come through for those in the inner cities? I was surprised at the heat he was getting,but most plan to vote for him AGAIN! That shocked me even more.. I grew up in this city,so I know what these people are feeling,when it comes to not having Jobs. People are moving from the citys,if they can,to where the Jobs are. AO Smith was a staple in this city,but Unions and AO Smith sold the workers out. I know first hand. My father worked there and told me. That being said,people were pissed,optimistic,but angry.People forget Unions are BIG BUSINESS TOO. You cant be angry at one,and not be angry at the other. Thats my OWS visit,hope you enjoyed it.
edit on 31-10-2011 by sonnny1 because: (no reason given)

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join