It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

OP/ED: Toronto to Ban Pits... Could the ban be Spreading?!

page: 7
<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 1 2004 @ 08:46 PM
link   
I own 4 dogs - a Pit, Rott, Pom and Chihuahua. My husband had the pit before I came along and she is completely devoted to him. She, fortunately, escaped from breeders who breed pits to fight. She is a sweetheart and we have never had a problem with her.

Our Rott is almost 4. When hubby brought him home, I was concerned about having a "vicious" breed until I got educated. He was put into obedience class at 9 weeks old. He is a very good dog but I do understand that he is a powerful dog. He has never been around children so if someone comes over with children, he goes in his kennel.

It's all how you raise the dog. If you treat a lab badly, it can become a killer.

Pits and Rotts make up the biggest bite stats because a chihuahua bite will not be as severe or damaging! Chihuahuas can be mean dogs, they just don't cause as much damage.

BTW, the area I live in was going to start this whole banning breed nonsense and two of the breeds listed were Pit Bulls and Am Staffs(American Standfordshire Terrier). Funny thing is - IT'S THE SAME FREAKIN' BREED.

Get educated about a breed and raise them right with lots of love and positive reinforcement and you will have a good dog!

posted on Sep, 1 2004 @ 10:55 PM
link   
Oh...Here's what we should do people. We ban all large breed dogs, at least any that may bite and cause damage...pretty much ALL large breeds. Also, we ban ALL guns, cause after all, they are dangerous and it's the exact same situation...irresponsible ownership that so many children are killed each year from family owned guns. Also...ALL alcohol needs to be banned...too many irresponsible drinkers killing people in DUI cases, not to mention broken homes, spousal abuse..etc...now, lets not forget children killed copying video games...all video games need to be banned too.........lets see, what have we missed?

www.bradycampaign.org...
www.cdc.gov...

posted on Sep, 1 2004 @ 11:00 PM
link   
Maybe we should just educate people. Then again, it's easier to pass stupid laws.

posted on Sep, 1 2004 @ 11:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by taibunsuu
Maybe we should just educate people. Then again, it's easier to pass stupid laws.

Wouldn't that be awesome if that were an option!? Unfortunately, if you have been following this thread....you know education is beyond some! In order to educate a mind, it must first be open.

posted on Sep, 1 2004 @ 11:09 PM
link   
But who do you educate?
Families with small children afraid to go outside?

Selfish pitbull owners who demand the right to own an animal reguardless of the threat to others?

Innocent people walking apst properties who are vulnerable to attack?

People with eggshell personalities who need the ego gratification of owning a dangerous breed to boost their low self esteem?

... sometimes making a law just saves the effort...

Trying to educate people in this thread is just like throwing a baby among the pitbulls, the bloodlust overcomes reason.

[edit on 1-9-2004 by Netchicken]

posted on Sep, 1 2004 @ 11:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by Netchicken
But who do you educate?
Selfish pitbull owners who demand the right to own an animal reguardless of the threat to others?
Innocent people walking apst properties who are vulnerable to attack?
People with eggshell personalities who need the ego gratification of owning a dangerous breed to boost their low self esteem?

... sometimes making a law just saves the effort...

The same could be said for alcohol, and guns! Making laws just saves the hassle doesn't it....but I don't hear gun lovers wanting to let go of their precious firearms.....guns kill more people a year than all dog breeds put together!

posted on Sep, 1 2004 @ 11:31 PM
link   
I thought that this was a facinating insight into the massive extent of assaults here ....
www.paloaltoonline.com...

According to the American Medical Association, dog bites are the second leading cause of childhood injury, surpassing playground accidents.

Nationally, there are almost 4.5 million victims of dog attacks per year -- nearly 2 percent of the entire population -- with about 800,000 victims requiring medical attention.

... and this..
www.legalconsumerguide.com...

During the 20 year span between 1979 and 1998 there were more than 300 dog-bite-related fatalities, and at least 25 different breeds were responsible. More than half of the fatalities were from bites inflicted by pit bulls and rottweilers.

XL5

posted on Sep, 2 2004 @ 12:41 AM
link   
Why do we goto driving school and why don't they do check ups on peoples ablilties -money.

posted on Sep, 2 2004 @ 06:23 AM
link   

During the 20 year span between 1979 and 1998 there were more than 300 dog-bite-related fatalities, and at least 25 different breeds were responsible. More than half of the fatalities were from bites inflicted by pit bulls and rottweilers.

True. But let's put this in perspective. The owners of the dogs are rarely scrutinized by the media. They just report 'pit bull attack', and that's that. In the majority of attacks, the owners of the pit bulls were unscrupulous and lowlife characters, using the dogs for protection during drug deals, or using them for pit fighting. That part, we never hear.

If it is true that pits are naturally aggressive towards humans( which they are not), the statistics for fatalities and bites would be much higher. Every day, pits are adopted from animal shelters. These dogs, even pits that were fighters, are adopted out, after a temperment test. Funny how we never hear about these dogs attacking people. Adopters go through a rigorous interview before adoption( which I just did). I asked how many of the pits ever came back, or were involved in a biting incident. Not a one.

Animal Shelter Info on Pit Bulls

[edit on 2-9-2004 by nathraq]

posted on Sep, 3 2004 @ 12:47 PM
link   

But who do you educate?

Take my neighbour for instance, her and her kids are afraid of their own shadow, and you know what triggered it. Their mom, kids grandmother, was attacked by a dog back in India when she was 6 years old.

posted on Sep, 3 2004 @ 05:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by XL5
Why do we goto driving school and why don't they do check ups on peoples ablilties -money.

I dont see why they are worried so much about money when it is a matter of life and death.

posted on Sep, 5 2004 @ 03:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by LadyV
Oh...Here's what we should do people. We ban all large breed dogs, at least any that may bite and cause damage...

Originally posted by LadyV
lets see, what have we missed?

husbands, parents, and require that all clothes are made from nerf

posted on Sep, 11 2004 @ 03:58 PM
link   
I am sick and tired of hearing about these "dog's" right's. they are dangerous animals by nature....just as are rattle snakes. they shouldn't be allowed to continue on. Whether a pit bull is trained to attack or not they will always have a kill switch. However that is just my opinion and is not valid in toronto b/c i live in north carolina. If the residents of toronto are so outraged at this they can get the ban overturned.

posted on Sep, 13 2004 @ 02:18 PM
link   
Again

Another Pit was put to sleep after being shot by an officer today.

I'll post a link when I find one.

posted on Sep, 13 2004 @ 02:23 PM
link   
Racist rubbish edited....

Netchicken

[edit on 13-9-2004 by Netchicken]

posted on Sep, 13 2004 @ 02:35 PM
link   
Judging by you hate of afro-americans mzthang1, I can tell just how educated you really are.

Your comment is discusting, you should be banned. Its people like you who fill boards with pure filth.

posted on Sep, 13 2004 @ 02:58 PM
link   
pit bull in the streets talking about his math homework??? no you see trash walking aroun selling drugs and being trash. its not just the blacks it spics and pueto ricans too...thats not young billy on the way to sunday school with his pit..its omar the guy who rapes 13 yold girls lmfao n/t

posted on Sep, 13 2004 @ 03:08 PM
link   
Your comments are actually discusting.

I am quite offended, yes I have a Pit.

Read the topic, then maybe you can use you unevolved brain for something useful.

Airhead.

posted on Sep, 13 2004 @ 03:10 PM
link   
we should ban mzthang1, racism and prejeduce are the epitimey of ignorance, this person cant deny ignorance if she lives by it.

you disgust me mzthang i hope you go blind so then you can not tell who is black or white

posted on Sep, 13 2004 @ 03:11 PM
link   
... more racist rubbish deleted...

Netchicken

[edit on 13-9-2004 by Netchicken]

new topics

top topics

<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join