It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

OP/ED: Toronto to Ban Pits... Could the ban be Spreading?!

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 1 2004 @ 02:06 PM
link   
Enron expects me not to have a view, as if my status precludes me from personal experiences. Get a life. Yet again another series of posts where the MESSENGER is attacked and not the message. Its a sign of posters who have lost the argument when it devolves to such a base level.

Let them rant, the truth will out...

posted on Sep, 1 2004 @ 02:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by Netchicken
Enron expects me not to have a view, as if my status precludes me from personal experiences. Get a life. Yet again another series of posts where the MESSENGER is attacked and not the message. Its a sign of posters who have lost the argument when it devolves to such a base level.

right on netchicken

posted on Sep, 1 2004 @ 02:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by Indy
Cmon Lady. You can't be serious. Do you want to play the odds? Quiz. You have a 5 year old. You gonna let your 5 year old run around in a yard with a Pit or with a Minerature? The answer is an absolue no brainer.

I would,,,, I do. My 5 yo was raised with a pit. I was raised with numerous pits. You know nothing of what you speak. Period.

posted on Sep, 1 2004 @ 02:17 PM
link   

taibunsuu that unfortunately is very incorrect. There have been far too many reports of Pits mauling family members. Mainly little kids and infants. And the genetic makeup of the dog is a problem. They are muscular and have a bite habit that most dogs dont and thats a powerful bite without a release. Once you get attacked it is difficult to break free. That problem as far as I know doesn't exist with any other dog. Just the Pit.

Again, you are wrong and know NOTHING of what you speak. Why don't you do a little research BEFORE you come up with this tripe?

posted on Sep, 1 2004 @ 02:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by intrepid

Originally posted by LadyV
Pit Bulls are one of the most stable people-friendly dogs in existence. The National Canine Temperament Testing Association tested 122 breeds, and Pit Bulls placed the 4th highest with a 95% passing rate!

As with all breeds you will get good and bad, however there is also predispostion of the breeds. For example, I'm sure you will find a smart Irish Setter out there but by and large a kind, but dumb dog.

What I quoted above I don't believe at all.

Fact of the matter is, she's right.

Face it,,, there will never be any agreements on this subject. People who really know the breed are going to defend it. The others who ignorantly believe everything that's printed about pits will never change their minds.

I'm keeping my pits,,, and my family is safe, in more ways than one.

posted on Sep, 1 2004 @ 02:26 PM
link   

Correct...the messenger is attacked....your status does not preclude you from expressing your opinons - I don't know where you got personal experiences from?? I love it when mods step in and actually talk with the members and relate their experiences....IMO - and let's analyze that acronym....IN MY OPINION...which is everything you've said and everything I've said which we are equally entitled to without insult...but IMO, I think you also have to show a certain level repsect in your comments if you expect to get any back...I'm in no way attacking you on a base level....Hell...I'm not even attacking you...I'm pointing something I out that I thought was wrong...and now this whole thread is lost b/c 2 or 3 people disagree with me....

Let me do some sideline moderating and suggest that you u2u me if you have issues with what I've said...this thread has gone south far enough, and I'm not entirely responsible for it...

EDIT: Well...I guess its picked back up again

[edit on 9/1/2004 by EnronOutrunHomerun]

posted on Sep, 1 2004 @ 02:37 PM
link   
The city of Toronto is just trying to distance itself from future lawsuits. They should also consider banning all further Muslim encroachments upon its city limits.

posted on Sep, 1 2004 @ 02:42 PM
link   
If they ban them, the city next to the is going to be a pit-bull resort.

They will also be sold for 4 times the original price.

posted on Sep, 1 2004 @ 02:45 PM
link   
MYTHS ABOUT THE AMERICAN PIT BULL TERRIER
by Edward Hinkle

MYTH: Pit bulls bite more people than any other breed.
FACT: It is hard to pin down, as accurate records by breed are seldom kept. Those records available show what a myth this is. Farmers Branch, Texas, a suburb of Dallas, has kept accurate records since 1980. During a 7 year period from 1980 through 1987, this is what was recorded. Total bites: 1,593. Pit bulls, 30 bites, or 1.89% of the total. Other studies tend to show the same results and because of so many mongrels that have similar features to the American Pit Bull Terrier, it seems reasonable to assume that the figures are actually much lower.

MYTH: American Pit Bull Terriers are born mean.
FACT: In a letter to James Huffman of Columbus, Ohio, Alfons Estelt of the American Temperament Test Society, Inc., an international dog temperament test organization, wrote the following: "The American Pit Bull Terriers participating in our temperament evaluation have thus far shown a passing rate of 95%. The other 121 breeds of dogs in our tests showed the average passing rate of 77%. While the heredity factor is of measurable importance, these results show that a dog, even if used for dogfighting, is not pre-disposed as such, but is brought by his environment."

MYTH: American Pit Bull Terriers have 1600 P.S.I. in jaw pressure.
FACT: Dr. 1. Lehr Brisbin of the University of Georgia states, "To the best of our knowledge, there are no published scientific studies that would allow any meaningful comparison to be made of the biting power of various breeds of dogs. There are, moreover, compelling technical reasons why such data describing biting power in terms of "pounds per square inch" can never be collected in a meaningful way. All figures describing biting power in such terms can be traced to either unfounded rumor or, in some cases, to newspaper articles with no foundation in factual data." Need more be said?

MYTH: American Pit Bull Terriers lock their jaws to the death.
FACT: Again from Dr. Brisbin: "The few studies which have been conducted of the structure of the skulls, mandibles and teeth of pit bulls show that, in proportion to their size, their jaw structure and thus its inferred functional morphology, is no different than that of any breed of dog. There is absolutely no evidence for the existence of any kind of "locking mechanism" unique to the structure of the jaw and/or teeth of the American Pit Bull Terrier."

MYTH: All American Pit Bull Terriers are bad and should be banned.
FACT: On July 17,1987 on ABC's "Good Morning America" program, Mr. Marc Paulhaus, S.E. regional director of the Humane Society of the United States stated: "Serious dog problems tend to be cyclical in nature."

posted on Sep, 1 2004 @ 02:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by flycatch
They should also consider banning all further Muslim encroachments upon its city limits.

What a low blow and I thought I was bad.

posted on Sep, 1 2004 @ 02:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by MacKiller
If they ban them, the city next to the is going to be a pit-bull resort.

They will also be sold for 4 times the original price.

Even if they ban them, they'll still be there....it will be a mix of the best of the best and the worst of the worst pits...Anytime something that was previously legal becomes illegal it becomes a game that people enjoy playing...keep away....It will be a curse for vets - they'll either have to say no to admitting the dog or they'll have to inform the police and have the dog put to sleep....Either way it will cost more money for the city, private businesses and the consumer....of course, not a huge change, but the difference would be there...

posted on Sep, 1 2004 @ 02:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by nathraq
MYTHS ABOUT THE AMERICAN PIT BULL TERRIER
by Edward Hinkle

Thank you. That is the info I was looking for. I have it in a book at the house but was having a little trouble finding it on the net.

[edit on 2-9-2004 by gordo]

posted on Sep, 1 2004 @ 02:59 PM
link   
Those are some interesting myth-busters....but I was curious as to who Edward Hinkle is...anyone know??

posted on Sep, 1 2004 @ 03:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by mad scientist

Lady V can't take the heat throws a tantrum and leaves. Netchicken points it out and now you'e trying to villify him

Oh hun...is that your definition of a tantrum !?
That was a simple statement of leaving because I found it pointless and childish to banter back and forth......I'd say I'm beginning to act the same way right now, by answer you, which I will stop after this post.....I have indeed seen real tantrums on internet sites though....but I haven't seen one here, not yet anyway....

posted on Sep, 1 2004 @ 03:18 PM
link   
I think that any person who is found to be responsible for training an animal to be violent should be spayed or neutered.

An animal is, by our standards, "stupid". They do what they're taught to do. If you teach a dog to guide blind people, it'll guide blind people. Not because it's benevolent, or because it knows what's right and wrong, but because it was trained to do so. Similarly a dog that is trained to maul people by its owner will do just that. It's not the dog's fault. The dog is an animal and is incapable of saying "I disagree with what you want me to do, I demand a recount, you're not a nice person". The owner or person who trained the animal must be held fully accountable in cases like that.

posted on Sep, 1 2004 @ 03:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by Djarums
I think that any person who is found to be responsible for training an animal to be violent should be spayed or neutered.

lmao!! I guess that's one way to go about it

posted on Sep, 1 2004 @ 03:42 PM
link   

I have no idea what's being debated, but we got a complaint there's a "Rant Fest" going on. I'm in.

I'm on NetChicken's side. Whatever it is.

posted on Sep, 1 2004 @ 03:47 PM
link   
nathraq... if I posted a stat that Barry Bonds hit 73 homeruns a few years ago would you tell me thats a myth too?

posted on Sep, 1 2004 @ 03:51 PM
link   
Since you seem to think you know what you are talking about why don't you humor us and find the data for the last 20ish years on fatalities due to dog bites. Why don't you also do a Google search for serious dog bite news stories. You probably won't because we already know the answer to the fatal attack stats and when you do a search on Google you find Pit Bull attack stories all over the place.

Originally posted by gordo

taibunsuu that unfortunately is very incorrect. There have been far too many reports of Pits mauling family members. Mainly little kids and infants. And the genetic makeup of the dog is a problem. They are muscular and have a bite habit that most dogs dont and thats a powerful bite without a release. Once you get attacked it is difficult to break free. That problem as far as I know doesn't exist with any other dog. Just the Pit.

Again, you are wrong and know NOTHING of what you speak. Why don't you do a little research BEFORE you come up with this tripe?

posted on Sep, 1 2004 @ 04:14 PM
link   

nathraq... if I posted a stat that Barry Bonds hit 73 homeruns a few years ago would you tell me thats a myth too?

Of course not. But if Barry hit 73 homers, and Sosa hit only 15, and Pryor only hit 2, who would be considered the most aggressive swinger? As a pitcher, would you be more leary about throwing a straight fastball to Barry, or Pryor?

If pits only account for 1% for all dog bites, where would be the justice in claiming them as dangerous??

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join