It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

If we evolved from monkeys and evolution is true, then why are there still monkeys today?

page: 11
<< 8  9  10    12 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 11 2010 @ 03:05 PM
link   
reply to post by davesidious

Seriously? I doubt apes or monkeys can contemplate the universe or question their existence. There are many differences between human and primates, not just vocal cords.

posted on Mar, 11 2010 @ 05:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by sickofitall2012

Seriously? I doubt apes or monkeys can contemplate the universe or question their existence. There are many differences between human and primates, not just vocal cords.

The differences are actually pretty small. We share over 98% of DNA with monkeys, a LOT more than with dogs, cats, or any other animal. It's therefore only logical that we share common ancestors.

posted on Mar, 12 2010 @ 07:23 AM
link   
reply to post by sickofitall2012

Luckily your doubts have no bearing on the knowledge of mankind.

Apes are highly intelligent, and of those apes we are the most intelligent.

posted on Mar, 12 2010 @ 06:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by MrXYZ

Originally posted by sickofitall2012

The differences are actually pretty small. We share over 98% of DNA with monkeys, a LOT more than with dogs, cats, or any other animal. It's therefore only logical that we share common ancestors.

ANSWER; Madsci
"Chemically, plant, human, animal, bacteria, fungi, and even many viruses
have identical DNA. DNA is composed of a backbone made from deoxyribose
(A sugar) and phosphate. The individual base pairs that encode the
genetic information are adenine, guanine, cytosine, and thymine (AGCT). A
base pairs with T, and G base pairs with C, which defines specificity for
DNA, and allows one strand to direct the replication of an exact
complementary strand, so an organism can make another set of DNA and
divide/reproduce. This was elegently demonstrated by Meselson & Stahl, a
observation for which they recieved a Nobel Prize, and it agreed perfectly
with the Watson & Crick model of DNA.
So, in many ways, structurally, chemically, and in the nature of
reproduction/synthesis, plant DNA and animal DNA are very similar, if not
identical. So much so, that when we place genes from plants and animals
inside of bacteria, they will often follow those instructions and produce
a foreign protein instead. This is how human insulin for the treatment of
diabetes is produced in a bacteria."

posted on Mar, 13 2010 @ 01:01 AM
link   
Just by looking at humans of different colours that are obviously the same BREED humans do have breeds,or whatever or however you want to split the hair.

You dont think Shaqueel Oniel and Tiny Tim are the same breed do you?

posted on Mar, 13 2010 @ 01:05 AM
link   
The comment about the vocal cord difference being the key is accurate except you forgot to add that it is the complex vocal communications that allow us to experience TIME,tenses ,present,past,future,without communication that is complex WE CANT GRASP THE CONCEPT OF TIME.

Once we did that we mastered our environment because we COULD PREDICT THE FUTURE AND NATURE HAS ALWAYS BEEN PREDICTABLE AND THIS ALLOWED US TO EXIST EXCLUSIVE OF OUR ENVIRONMENT AND TO REPRODUCE ACCORDINGLY,IN THE BILLIONS.

Scary thought isnt it ,that its only the ability to concieve of time that seperates us from the beasts.

posted on Mar, 13 2010 @ 10:49 AM
link   
reply to post by one4all

That's a massive assertion. I'd love to see some evidence behind that claim.

posted on Mar, 13 2010 @ 11:01 AM
link   
Davesidious,I understand it is a massive assertation,but the evidence is overwhelmingly in favour of this reality,the evidence is all around us especially in historical recordings.

if you take a copy of the bible,the koran and the rest of the top ten religous doctrines on earth ,and then apply my method of reverse exprapolation to each one in its totality you will find that each doctrine will contain nuggets of truth that are paralell to the others ,but there will be slight differences amongst the remaining nuggets,these are the missing pieces of our history that were destroyed to confuse us all in our past.But today we now know how these incredible truths were REALLY PRESERVED.

These truths were preserved as interwoven truths covered in fallacies contained within similar but conflicting realities or perspectives that ended up being protected and preserved in the form of religous doctrines.

U2u me,get a bowl of popcorn and your phone list of all your important people,you will need it when you are finished.

posted on Mar, 13 2010 @ 11:22 AM
link   
reply to post by one4all

So there's no evidence for it, just your guesses. Great.

I won't u2u you, but thanks for the offier - I have better things to do.

posted on Mar, 13 2010 @ 11:26 AM
link   
We are still great apes, we just branched off differently and now today instead of evolving to our surroundings we are socially evolving and our intelligence is evolving. Monkeys are still evolving also but they are condition to their environment, but to keep it simple look at a tree and its different branches, you'll get the idea.

posted on Mar, 13 2010 @ 11:33 AM
link   
Actually you are the evidence ,your very existance is the evidence.

You are requesting that someone manufacture a component of a reality that you yourself cannot embrace so you can experience it yourself as if it were a drug.

You are either in or you are out,you can accept or you cant,

If you cant ACCEPT THIS REALITY of your own accord then you can be taught but that is the key UNLIKE RELIGONS YOU CANNOT BE TAUGHT TO FIND THE TRUTH YOU MUST FIND IT ON YOUR OWN NOT FROM OTHERS.

For me to teach you because you challenge me means I must prove you wrong and because you create your own reality that is impossible to do ,I have learned this already,I can teach you if you QUESTION ME,any question any time on any point,but never a challenge,its your mindset that is a precursor to sucess or failure not mine,I am representative of the truth or fact not my own opinion,to battle my support is to battle truth or reality,you cannot battle that you can only embrace it and learn from it ,IF YOU CHOOSE TO THAT IS.

posted on Mar, 13 2010 @ 11:35 AM
link   
reply to post by one4all

No, that is not evidence of what you claim.

There is nothing differentiating your position from a guess. You are not providing any evidence. Why should I believe you?

posted on Mar, 13 2010 @ 11:57 AM
link   
I told myself that I was absolutely going to stay away from this thread. I'm sure I will lookm back after this and say "I told you so!"

"Chemically, plant, human, animal, bacteria, fungi, and even many viruses
have identical DNA. DNA is composed of a backbone made from deoxyribose
(A sugar) and phosphate. "

I'm not really sure what I think about evolution. I don't think evolution and God are mutually exclusive. After all, Yahweh did say for the "earth" and the "waters" to bring forth life, therefore it would only be reasonable if everything on earth had the same basic amino acids in their DNA, right?

posted on Mar, 13 2010 @ 12:28 PM
link   
I have not read the whole thread so I don't know if anyone has pointed out the obvious that:

(1) We did not evolve from monkeys but rather we share a common ancestor and:

(2) species branch off but that does not mean that they necessarily mean that they die off. Some do yes but not always and:

(3) a successful species can still go extinct and do all the time when the conditions that made them successful change.

posted on Mar, 13 2010 @ 01:20 PM
link   
reply to post by iMacFanatic

There really is no point in read entire threads like this anyways. The OP poses a question or attempts to "refute" some well known and proven science. The only post needed is one that explains the answer/the science behind it.

But of course, the actual reasons and evidence are never good enough, so we end up with 30 page threads that just go in circles.

[edit on 13-3-2010 by PieKeeper]

posted on Mar, 14 2010 @ 01:34 AM
link   
reply to post by jennybee35

Why wouldn't the book just say that we were created out of amino acids, name the chemicals and their order involved, and so on?

Couching it in metaphor just makes this "God" look like a nincompoop with absolutely no confidence in what is supposedly his favored creation.

If you think your creations are sharp enough to listen to you tell them how you created them, then they MUST be sharp enough to understand the scientific principles behind what you did.

posted on Mar, 14 2010 @ 12:41 PM
link   
reply to post by TheWalkingFox

What in the world makes you think that I would know how God thinks? Or furthermore, that I would presume to try to guess at His reasoning? I know precious little about the mystery that is YHWH, and understand even less. I simply have faith that He is in control and that even the things that I don't understand are for a reason. Sounds unreasonable to you, I suppose. It has taken me many, many hard years and lots of struggle and butting my head against a wall to see that my job is not to completely understand all things, but to accept that NOTHING that He does is purposeless or cruel. This in only just the beginning of understanding, but it was definitely a HUGE leap towards peace for me. Maybe someday others will find that same peace.

posted on Mar, 14 2010 @ 12:44 PM
link   
reply to post by jennybee35

As long as you realise you are being irrational, believe what you want. Just don't labour under the false assumption that you are somehow acting rationally, as you clearly aren't.

posted on Mar, 14 2010 @ 12:55 PM
link   
I think the problem the OP and other fundamentalists have is that if evolution is correct, they can't take the whole Adam 'n Eve thing literally. Which in turn means they can't take a whole lot of other things literally.

Imo the bible wasn't meant to be taken literally, definitely in today's time.

posted on Mar, 14 2010 @ 01:22 PM
link   

I never brought rationale into it. I lead a completely normal life, am a reasonable, rational person. My faith in YHWH is not rational as far as the world is concerned, and that's okay with me. There are those who will not understand it, there are those who cannot help but be offended by it. It's alright, I don't think that you have to believe as I do. I wish that I could open many eyes to truth, but that is not my job. YHWH does not need my help, I am not equipped for that kind of battle! Peace to you.

top topics

<< 8  9  10    12 >>

join