It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I am proud to be American. Am I the only one?

page: 8
<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 22 2011 @ 08:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by ipsedixit
reply to post by grayeagle

I think that is well put.

The last major nation to make a cult of national pride was Nazi Germany. This led to regarding others as "subhumans" upon whom all manner of gross indignities could be visited. Some people believe that America has tested grotesque new weapons on the Iraqis.

Do Americans regard others as subhumans?

How about a big red white and blue middle finger for you? and also a great big American welcoming, thank you for comparing America to Nazi Germany, well done. Star for you

posted on Oct, 22 2011 @ 08:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by Pervius
Back in 1990 I was making $5 an hour.

400 hours of my labor would get me 1 acre of land so I'd have a place to live.

400 hours of labor today wouldn't pay the Property tax on that piece of land. I wish I could go back in time, back to when America was something to be proud of.

Back when we were part of it.

I'm proud to be an American. I'm not proud of what America has become.

posted on Oct, 22 2011 @ 08:51 PM
link   
reply to post by ipsedixit

That perverted national pride creates division. It automatically establishes US (the right) and them (the wrong). They are immediately seen and treated as less because they aren't with us, they are different, they just aren't like us and therefore they must be against us. They must never be accept because that would diminish who we are.

posted on Oct, 22 2011 @ 08:51 PM
link   
reply to post by imasecretspy

Here's my response... Its not positive:

posted on Oct, 22 2011 @ 08:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by TechniXcality

Originally posted by crohny
reply to post by TechniXcality

I'm amused that you keep speaking like you know me. I don't wish to stop you from fighting. I rather enjoy the mindless going to war and dying willingly. It leaves the rest of us free from having to worry about drafts. I want a world without war is silly. That isn't possible. This "walgreens" # you keep saying is just as absurd. I'm the least peaceful person around. Obviously because I'm alright with you dying for what you believe. The sad fact is you really believe you're making a difference. You aren't doing anything that allows me to speak my mind. I'd do it regardless if it meant life or death. If you want to save lives, why not go back in time and get all the people convicted and then put to death in our country that were innocent. Why not do something for the natives of our country? Oh yeah, because you're a blind coward who rather go do mindless fighting over politics than # that actually matters to your fellow Americans. Pathetic sir.

No, you sir are an extremist. No matter what comprimise i offer, you beg to differ, no matter what consalidation and appreciation i offer, you smite it. Indeed you are violent ,"I'm the least peaceful person around". You make as much sense as two a**holes trying to fu** a door nob. You say youd speak your mind regardless of life and death? Ha, your funny why not actually be in a position of life and death. Then go ahead speak your mind id like to see what you say? you know nothing about you, but even though you are fringe as #, i still would die for your belifes love ya brother, get over it

Bahahaha. I've come close to dying a few times now from health reasons. I wouldn't put my life on the line for other Americans. I'd protect my family. That is all. WHat comprimises did you make? You tried to portray me as some walgreens dream worlder or some wacky #. You don't make comprimises. You make excuses for the actions you do and then when faced with truths of how the world is and that I don't give a care abotu your life and what you do with it, you try and label me as some group of people. Pretending like you have a clue. That is pathetic sir. Get off your high horse. Being a pawn is respectable.

posted on Oct, 22 2011 @ 08:59 PM
link   

I wouldn't say America is like Nazi Germany. We don't have consintration camps. We kill other races on their own land. We do it because it's Terrorisms fault and these other countries need to be failed democracies because we are such a shining example of how wonderful democracy is. Wait, sorry. How wonderful a republic is. Democracy means the people have a say. Sorry, I forgot the people don't have a say in # government does. WHOOPS!

posted on Oct, 22 2011 @ 09:00 PM
link   
america is ok. if you like being controlled by the government. lame.

posted on Oct, 22 2011 @ 09:11 PM
link   
Those who are truly proud of America are the ones who care about her. And if you care about your country then you not only appreciate the good things but you also aren't afraid to point out its flaws, as you see them, and try to fix them. But you need to have the presence of mind to do both at once.

Those who only point out America's flaws are (clearly) not proud to be American. Well, they can leave, for all I care. The truth is that we are an incredibly unique nation in the history of modern civilization, and have done some wonderful things for the world.

But those who see our country as some kind of do-no-evil paradise that's two clouds short of heaven, that should throw our military and influence all over the globe with no regard for the consequences, are not truly proud to be American, either. That's not pride. It's just blind self-righteousness, and the sooner that kind of attitude leaves our country the better.

People are too eager to take everything personally. THINK about your values and your beliefs, for all of our sakes, instead of just treating every comment from the opposing political party as some kind of insult.

The really ironic thing is that partisanship in America is about 40% due to actual differences in principles, and 60% due to people's animalistic desire to find a group of people they can blame all of their problems on. In a way, it's laziness. Rather than actually take the effort to be humble and accept responsibility for yourself, people find it much easier to just wave a hand in the general direction of the "liberals" or the "conservatives," joke about how stupid they are over a glass of beer or wine, and point at the nearest bold-letter newspaper headline as their justification.

Everyone seems so eager to say that kids and teens these days are screwed up, and somehow everybody's forgotten the fact that when you were a kid, the adults were saying the exact same thing about YOU. Modern civilization marches onward, not because of the older generations, but IN SPITE of them, and like it or not, it will be up to the youth to get us out of this mess. We can only hope that each successive generation will screw things up LESS than the previous one. I am not saying we shouldn't respect the wisdom that the elderly have to offer... and I can appreciate, for example, that my parents have made this country a better place for me than it was when my grandparents ran things. But I am saying we should ALSO respect the wisdom that the youth have to offer, because lets face it, all of us adults turned our brains off after we went from the classroom to the cubicle.

posted on Oct, 22 2011 @ 09:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by TechniXcality

I'm amused that you keep speaking like you know me. I don't wish to stop you from fighting. I rather enjoy the mindless going to war and dying willingly. It leaves the rest of us free from having to worry about drafts. I want a world without war is silly. That isn't possible. This "walgreens" # you keep saying is just as absurd. I'm the least peaceful person around. Obviously because I'm alright with you dying for what you believe. The sad fact is you really believe you're making a difference. You aren't doing anything that allows me to speak my mind. I'd do it regardless if it meant life or death. If you want to save lives, why not go back in time and get all the people convicted and then put to death in our country that were innocent. Why not do something for the natives of our country? Oh yeah, because you're a blind coward who rather go do mindless fighting over politics than # that actually matters to your fellow Americans. Pathetic sir.

No, you sir are an extremist. No matter what comprimise i offer, you beg to differ, no matter what consalidation and appreciation i offer, you smite it. Indeed you are violent ,"I'm the least peaceful person around". You make as much sense as two a**holes trying to fu** a door nob. You say youd speak your mind regardless of life and death? Ha, your funny why not actually be in a position of life and death. Then go ahead speak your mind id like to see what you say? you know nothing about you, but even though you are fringe as #, i still would die for your belifes love ya brother, get over it

Bahahaha. I've come close to dying a few times now from health reasons. I wouldn't put my life on the line for other Americans. I'd protect my family. That is all. WHat comprimises did you make? You tried to portray me as some walgreens dream worlder or some wacky #. You don't make comprimises. You make excuses for the actions you do and then when faced with truths of how the world is and that I don't give a care abotu your life and what you do with it, you try and label me as some group of people. Pretending like you have a clue. That is pathetic sir. Get off your high horse. Being a pawn is respectable.

Health circumstances! omfg, wow. I have a pacemaker im 23 years old, and my God I probably act like it. My left shoulder was blown to bits by an efp by a road side bomb( i lost 3 friends in the innsodent), implanted in a new curb made out of concrete, I have. Had six heart surgeries in the past two years, im married with two children one on the way. Dude you are a dreamer you’re selfish, I love how every time the Chinese handcuffs get tighter you only squeeze more. What this proves to me, is that you desperately want to be an individual, an individual you are, what proof do I need? Im on no high horse you ignoramus. I HAVE STATED ONLY THAT I AM A PROUD AMERICAN BECAUSE I WILL FIGHT TO PROTECT YOUR IDEA"S NO MATTER IF THEY DIFFER FROM MINE!!!!!! You want to act like you can defend your self, like you have seen combat, you’re a fake. A wanna be in the truest sense. I honestly feel that freedom has no room for your selfish ideology, but I will protect it because once again you have a right to be heard. Who’s really making more of an ass of himself? As I reiterate myself to be understood by you. You only put me down and prove you uncompromising demeanor. I love you brother speak on!
edit on 22-10-2011 by TechniXcality because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 22 2011 @ 09:18 PM
link   
LOL @ some of these posts. I cannot believe anyone could be offended by these negative generalizations about ameicans. I mean it should be clear to anyone living anywhere that idiots exists everywhere. But maybe since im a Black American and im used to hearing blanket statements about my race its easier for me to shrug it off. Meh.

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on Oct, 22 2011 @ 09:25 PM
link   
I am with you here I am proud to be an Englishman but there has been a concerted effort especially from politicians to downplay nationalism in the past few years the local councillors/politicians are just as bad celebrating pretty much every other culture here in the uk but our own (sigh).

Still I have kept on thinking of late of my childhood/teenage years and remembering fondly America in the 80's especially films and some tv shows nothing like watching a black and white 70's or 80's cop car chase ending with said cop car flipping on it's roof in flames ahh the good old days. If America can get back to it's old self again it would be a good thing IMHO. And sorry if I digressed at all.

posted on Oct, 22 2011 @ 09:33 PM
link   
actually im sorry im playing right into this guys stupidity, i have to exit this conversation im not in a well enough mood to handle this kind of selfishness and extreme ideas.

posted on Oct, 22 2011 @ 09:53 PM
link   
I love my country, but I feel like I have a dysfunctional relationship with it...

posted on Oct, 22 2011 @ 09:56 PM
link   
In reply to the OP's question..."Am I the only one?"

Answer: No, but it is becoming a very short list in the pride area.

Why. you ask. As one becomes better informed as to what America stands for today, one is repulsed.

America as it once was, never was. It is a hook in the jaw of an ignorant fish. Dinner is served.

posted on Oct, 22 2011 @ 10:08 PM
link   
I am currently living out of the US for about 2-3 years and I can tell you I am certainly proud to be an American. When I say Americans have the good life you would not know unless you are one and has to live somewhere else for an extended period of time

I condemn America's pathetic political system and its corrupt leaders both in government and business, but they are not what makes America what it is. The individual citizens make it what it is. After all, it is just a bunch of united states right? I think the American people need to mature a great deal and step up to the plate now so to say. It is time for a huge paradigm shift, and if accomplished successfully I would be all the more proud to be an American.

I do not see myself as alienated or separate from people of other countries. Instead I see myself as an Earthling first, American second. America just happens to be the place I was lucky enough to be born is the way I see it. I hope all people can have as comfortable a life as I have had living in the US but I do not wish them to adopt American culture necessarily, that is their choice. I do see a sort of universal culture being adopted in the near future as social networking is improved and transportation becomes more rapid and cheap(if we can collectively shake off big oil) I hope that makes sense.

posted on Oct, 22 2011 @ 10:44 PM
link   
Proud to stand on the gunpowder, blood, sweat and tears that my ancestors built.

Proud to read the history books.

Proud to be a damn American.

So sue me... haha.

posted on Oct, 22 2011 @ 10:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by RSF77
Proud to stand on the gunpowder, blood, sweat and tears that my ancestors built.

Proud to read the history books.

Proud to be a damn American.

So sue me... haha.

Proud to be an American heres a song for you. Relate it to America, makes sense

www.youtube.com...

posted on Oct, 22 2011 @ 11:03 PM
link   
reply to post by imasecretspy

You are not the only one. Here is why I am proud and humbled at once to be active in this great democracy.

Because I Occupy my community, like a lot of others, rather than just exist there.

posted on Oct, 22 2011 @ 11:05 PM
link   
I Am Proud To Be An American, Yes, I'm New To Being An American, But I Love This Country and I Love The People and All the Different Cultures Of America.

It's True, I did not have to be an American, My husband told me we could go back to my home land after he retired.
I Must Tell You,,,, After a Year in America and Learning English and Watching The Gifts of Food, Clothing, Medical Care, Human Assistance and Money going out to other countries in need after a Natural Disaster.
Then I watch as America has it's own Natural Disaster and Americans Pull Together and Help Each Other, I look around and think to myself,,,, Where are those Countries America, feed, clothes gave medical care too and helped rebuild?
I Love America and I Am An American,,,,,, With a Chinese Accent

My husband is a Vietnam Veteran 2 tours and to this day, still wakes me up sometimes, Sweating, Shaking and yes some times Crying, But I've Seen Tears In His Eyes When The Star Spangle Banner Is Played and He Stands and Places His Hand Over His Heart.
He Loves America and I Love America and My Family.

posted on Oct, 22 2011 @ 11:24 PM
link   
reply to post by HomerinNC

You cannot love America but despise the government - America IS the govermnent..even including our precious troops we send around the globe to "demonstrate" democracy. We should love our fellow poeple, but please do not associate them with America - America happens to be quite evil at the moment in case you haven't seen what is going on.

top topics

<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

join