It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Apologies (by Obama for the atomic bombing of Japan) Not Accepted

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 12 2011 @ 03:29 PM
link   
They had the chance to surrender, but their honour, despite staring defeat in the face was too much. Their Pride was to BIG and you know the old saying, 'Pride before a Fall' well they had their chance and blew it.

I don't believe they have even offered a proper apology for the atrocities of the British and Commonwealth Prisoners of war. They didn't recognise the Geneva Convention and put those poor souls through HELL!!!

Apology was made, they refused it, let's move on!!

posted on Oct, 12 2011 @ 03:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by masqua

Originally posted by centurion1211
It does, however, sound like obama wanted to do it until called off by the Japanese government since the Japanese are telling the obama administration (and not the Japanese public) in the cable that it wouldn't be a good idea.

Show me where it sounds like the POTUS wanted to do it.

If you do, I'll be convinced.

Otherwise, it was an expectation of certain Japanese citizens and shot down by the Japanese government.

Again, exactly who makes obama go around giving speeches and apologizing for U.S. actions if HE doesn't want to do it?

Said another way, IF obama didn't want to apologize at Hiroshima the Japanese government wouldn't have had to tell him it wasn't a good idea.
edit on 10/12/2011 by centurion1211 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 12 2011 @ 03:34 PM
link   
i think that is what is even more emberassing than him actuly apologizing for the bombing to me a us citzen is the fact that thay said no please dont even go down that road better left unsaid

posted on Oct, 12 2011 @ 03:34 PM
link   
reply to post by centurion1211

My request stands.

You are speculating that the POTUS wants to apologize. There is no proof of that whatsoever.

posted on Oct, 12 2011 @ 03:35 PM
link   
Tit for tat?

Maybe Obama is expecting Japan to, likewise, apologize for dropping the bomb on Pearl Harbor?

posted on Oct, 12 2011 @ 03:39 PM
link   
www.spacedaily.com...

Washington (AFP) Aug 5, 2010 - Secretary of State Hillary Clinton said Thursday that US President Barack Obama "thought it appropriate" to recognize Japan's atomic bomb anniversary as he wants to rid the world of nuclear arms

thats washington code speak for "sorry" much like "overseas contingency operations" and "man caused disasters"

come on now politics is about calling something that it is something else.
edit on 12-10-2011 by neo96 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 12 2011 @ 03:41 PM
link   
Not that I have seen or heard, but would welcome evidence to show they are trully apologetic.

posted on Oct, 12 2011 @ 03:44 PM
link   
As far those nuclear bombs being dropped on Japan goes. in the end it saved hundreds of thousands more Japanese and American lives than they took.

To apologize for that would be completely stupid. I just can't wrap my head around any human being that ignorant and can't believe any politician would contemplate such idiocy.

That's why I want to know if the Obama administration actually considered it. If they did, then... well... they'd be capable of anything completely asinine.

posted on Oct, 12 2011 @ 03:47 PM
link   
reply to post by masqua

we've had 3 years of compounding assinine wanting to make a two term of compounding assinine

when the assinine gets too deep its time to flush.

posted on Oct, 12 2011 @ 03:48 PM
link   

My request stands.

You are speculating that the POTUS wants to apologize. There is no proof of that whatsoever.

Which request?

They keep changing and I keep answering them.

posted on Oct, 12 2011 @ 03:52 PM
link   
How about this little bit of information?

Harry Truman Is Rolling Over In His Grave

Faster than you can say “Nakajima” the government of Japan torpedoed an idea floated by U.S. President Barack Obama’s administration in which the leader of the free world (or what’s left of it) would have publicly apologized for the atomic bombings of Hiroshima and Nagasaki in 1945.

The State Department floated the idea of an Obama apology in advance of the president’s November 2009 trip to Japan. During that visit, Obama became the first-ever U.S. President to bow to the emperor of Japan – a gesture that has earned him justifiable derision.

This is the Really Good Part:

Obama’s obsequent dip violated longstanding U.S. policy regarding presidents not bowing to their contemporaries – a.k.a. the “thou need not bow” policy.

But He Keeps Right On Embarrassing America:

News of the cable comes just days after Obama’s government “expressed its condolences” to the family of al-Qaeda propagandist/ recruiter Samir Khan – who was killed in a recent American airstrike that successfully took out terrorist leader Anwar al-Awlaki.

Source: www.fitsnews.com...
edit on 12-10-2011 by guohua because: Spelling and links

posted on Oct, 12 2011 @ 03:52 PM
link   

As far those nuclear bombs being dropped on Japan goes. in the end it saved hundreds of thousands more Japanese and American lives than they took.

To apologize for that would be completely stupid. I just can't wrap my head around any human being that ignorant and can't believe any politician would contemplate such idiocy.

That's why I want to know if the Obama administration actually considered it. If they did, then... well... they'd be capable of anything completely asinine.

Then the only answer that would satisfy you would seemingly have to come from obama himself.

Something very doubtful since we also have a track record of the administration running and hiding from anything they do that later appears controversial.

edit on 10/12/2011 by centurion1211 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 12 2011 @ 03:54 PM
link   

The request for PROOF that the Obama administration contemplated apologizing for the nuclear attack.

Really simple.

Proof.

Not speculation or right wing blog speculation. Proof as in the Wikileak cable.

posted on Oct, 12 2011 @ 04:11 PM
link   
OK how about a News Paper From Japan, It's Not a Right Wing Blog.

Obama Hiroshima trip discouraged in '09: Wikileaks cable

"He underscored, however, that both governments must temper the public's expectations on such issues, as the idea of President Obama visiting Hiroshima to apologize for the atomic bombing during World War II is a 'non-starter'," said the cable

Why Would It Be A Necessary For Obama To Visit These Cities In The Future?
Does Obama Not Understand, This Decision Was Made By Then President Harry Truman To Save Lives?

At a news conference during his visit to Japan in November 2009, Obama said he would be honored and it would be significant for him to visit Hiroshima and the other atomic-bombed city of Nagasaki in the future.

Source:search.japantimes.co.jp...

posted on Oct, 12 2011 @ 04:12 PM
link   

The request for PROOF that the Obama administration contemplated apologizing for the nuclear attack.

Really simple.

Proof.

Not speculation or right wing blog speculation. Proof as in the Wikileak cable.

I already posted the Wikileaks cable as you had asked.

ATS threads are full of people speculating and playing "connect the dots" to try and understand what was reported in the news really means.

I also do not recall seeing anyone else being asked specifically to prove the veracity of a news story beyond what was available in the news or online. People post them here to get and respond to comments and speculation.

Really not sure where you are coming from on this thread.

posted on Oct, 12 2011 @ 04:21 PM
link   

Multiple sources including Wikileaks and The Japan Times and additional MSM sources will never be enough apparently. Just wait wait for the personal letter from Obama to prove your case to masqua.

If he wasn't a super mod. I'd say that I have witnessed troll characteristics here.

All you can do is make the best of the information that is currently available because I doubt that true confirmation of this story will ever come out of the WH.
edit on 12-10-2011 by jibeho because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 12 2011 @ 04:22 PM
link   

posted on Oct, 12 2011 @ 04:23 PM
link   
Why is this not in hoax bin?

The source of all this BS does not state that it was Obama's idea, just that it was an expectation from Japanese people and the Japanese government did not want it.

1.Thread title clearly states....That Obama made an apology and it was not accepted.

2. Content from OP and others are saying that he was planning to make an apology but the Japanese government denied his request.

Content of SOURCE MATERIAL does not say anything about either 1 or 2 so isn't this a hoax

posted on Oct, 12 2011 @ 04:32 PM
link   

Did you actually read the cable? I did, and you know what? Nowhere in the cable is it said, hinted at, intimated, telepathically placed in anyone's mind, smoke-signaled or anything else that President Obama suggested apologizing.

¶5. (C) VFM Yabunaka pointed out that the Japanese public will have high expectations toward President Obama's visit to Japan in November, as the President enjoys an historic level of popularity among the Japanese people. Anti-nuclear groups, in particular, will speculate whether the President would visit Hiroshima in light of his April 5 Prague speech on non-proliferation. He underscored, however, that both governments must temper the public's expectations on such issues, as the idea of President Obama visiting Hiroshima to apologize for the atomic bombing during World War II is a "non-starter." While a simple visit to Hiroshima without fanfare is sufficiently symbolic to convey the right message, it is premature to include such program in the November visit. Yabunaka recommended that the visit in November center mostly in Tokyo, with calls on the Emperor and Prime Minister, as well as some form of public program, such as speeches, an engagement at a university, or a town hall-like meeting with local residents. Highlighting the busy political calendar in the coming weeks, including the election of the new Prime Minister, launching of the new Cabinet, and the Prime Minister's participation in the UN General Assembly and the Pittsburgh G-20 Summit, Yabunaka noted that both sides should begin working quickly on the President's November visit. The Ambassador conveyed an TOKYO 00002033 003.2 OF 003 informal invitation for the new Prime Minister to attend the Pittsburgh Summit, adding that an official invitation will follow once the Prime Minister is elected.

The only people who seemed to be suggesting it were the public and "Anti-nuclear groups".

Sorry, I didn't mean to ruin your daily constitutional on Obama with pesky things like facts.

posted on Oct, 12 2011 @ 04:34 PM
link   

Everyday,I become more and more ashamed that I voted for him
in 2008.I could just kick myself for that vote.I won't be voting for
him again,I learned my lesson.

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join